PDA

View Full Version : [SOURCE] So I hear Day of Defeat Source is getting upgraded to the orange box engine...

Terin
May 23rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=posts&id=1594&cc=US

Yep. There's a new map, balance fixes, and they add a lot of TF2 elements to it, as well. The avatars on the scoreboard, the freezecam thing, the nemisis and revenge system, and achievements! No, not crazy achievements like save someone from a falling death, but just simple ones like "Get 500 kills with the Thompson" or "Kill 4 people with a single grenade" or "Kill 4 people after you win a match." While it's not the most :awesome: update ever, it might breathe some life back into the game.

ultama121
May 24th, 2008, 12:11 AM
It'll be nice to give DoD some plastic surgery.

rossmum
May 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM
It'd be even better if they did this with 1.3 rather than Source... by all accounts, 1.3 is way better. Source is basically WWII CS, I only play it because I have some awesome skins installed for it, really. RO is where it's at.

e:

i fucking hate balance, it fucking ruins games

Limited
May 24th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Sweet, I got DoD, getting TF2ified will be great.

PenGuin1362
May 24th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Played the beta last night, didn't notice much of a difference >_>

cls
May 24th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Now if only Valve updated other games still using Source 7 to Source 14.

n00b1n8R
May 25th, 2008, 12:43 AM
i fucking hate balance, it fucking ruins games

Yeah, how dare they make skill important. :maddowns:

StankBacon
May 25th, 2008, 05:53 AM
wish they would upgrade css to the ob engine :'(

Pooky
May 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
wish they would upgrade css to the ob engine :'(

^

I want the freeze cam on CSS badly D:

rossmum
May 27th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Yeah, how dare they make skill important. :maddowns:
yeah like there's any skill involved in games with hitscan weapons and hitboxes to begin with http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-psyduck.gif

reflexes, not skill

n00b1n8R
May 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM
TF2 is the most balanced FPS I've ever played. Who wins in a 1v1 is totally dependant on skill.

Oh, and reflexes is just one facet of skill.

Pooky
May 27th, 2008, 06:41 AM
TF2 is the most balanced FPS I've ever played. Who wins in a 1v1 is totally dependant on skill.

Oh, and reflexes is just one facet of skill.

Well, it also depends on who gets a crit first <_<

n00b1n8R
May 27th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Yeah there's an element of chance (though supposedly the crit system lets people who are playing well keep doing so), but if the classes are playing to their strengths, even crits become negligible.

rossmum
May 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM
DoD is supposedly pretty balanced, and all it depends on is who shoots quickest and who's luckiest, really. Hitscan weapons and hitboxes are fucking horrid and I deeply suspect Source only uses them as default because all the CS whores would cry like fucking babies if they didn't, and there's a good chance the hardcore HL1 fans who hate even the slightest change would do the same.

My single biggest pet hate about RO is the fact that Tripwire even considered balancing it. The fact they actually went ahead and did it really, really pisses me off. I don't know what they were thinking when they tried to balance a game that prides itself on realism and historical fucking accuracy, but apparently enough CS players picked up RO that they saw the need to leave the rest of us out in the cold and nerf the Tiger to the point where a fucking T-34/76 can kill it in one shot, yet it can't kill a T-34/85 or IS-2 in five unless you hit the turret ring or top armour, basically. Suddenly, the IS-2 is lord god king of everything because they wanted to make armour battles fair for the Russians without outnumbering the Germans. No. Just no. The SMG recoil is just as bad, it's like firing a fucking M2 machine gun single-handedly.

Terin
July 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
http://www.steampowered.com/dod/palermo/

Valve has finalized the update, and they are going to release it this tomorrow. Along with it, they are releasing it like they do with the TF2 major updates, and including a free weekend with it. If you haven't bought it, check it out.

Pooky
July 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I guess I'll try out the free weekend for the hell of it

MNC
July 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Free weekend woo! So far I don't really like it. It's great, I'm sure, but I'm not too skilled and get killed easily >_>

Bodzilla
July 6th, 2008, 03:40 AM
errghh. WW2 games.

needs more originality and themes.

MNC
July 6th, 2008, 07:09 AM
errghh. WW2 games.

needs more originality and themes.
That generally too.

Pooky
July 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
From what I've played so far DoD:S is ridiculously fun to do retarded shit on like suicide bomb people with grenades. Also, is it just me, or do all the douchefags always go US army while the awesome people always go Wehrmacht?

MNC
July 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Wehrmacht has a fucking shovel man.

Aerowyn
July 8th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I've been playing DoD this week, and I have to say the freezecam is a little sucky. If you kill someone from a distance your location is instantly compromised. :(

Most servers I have played on have removed the freezecam.

Kalub
July 8th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Wehrmacht has a fucking spade man.

:eng101:

MNC
July 10th, 2008, 01:37 PM
:eng101:
Same story, different version.