PDA

View Full Version : an alternate approach to mod teams

Rob Oplawar
May 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM
While I was working on something that's going to go online later today, it occurred to me that instead of trying to recruit a team of dedicated developers, I could sort of open-source Bridge and leave it open and visible to the community so that anyone could make tiny little contributions here and there to keep the project going. The map would be completely spoiled, but it would become a community effort and everyone would get to feel the pride and accomplishment when it's finally released. And my target audience is greater than the Halo CE community, so there would still be (hopefully) plenty of people out there who get to experience it without spoilers.

So, what do you think? Are there enough people out there who would be willing to make a random scenery object or texture or piece of level geometry and upload it to the online Bridge CE repository? Enough people to give up any and all semblance of secrecy in this project?

Love De Lux
May 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
That's a good idea; but what king of "bridge" will you use ? A Ftp server or something like that ?

Oh also, I can make random scenery as well as textures for them.

Rentafence
May 26th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I could model small things here and there for ya. Sounds like a neat idea.

StankBacon
May 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
That's a good idea; but what king of "bridge" will you use ? A Ftp server or something like that ?

:raise:

im pretty sure the name of the map is bridge.

Sel
May 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
If I had the time, I would gladly model you some forerunner stuff that you can put in. But with 3 summatives, and 2 essays heading my way very soon I wont have the time for just under a month. Of course, any of my models are as good as yours if you want them. Just AIM me or something and I might have some stuff you could use.

Sever
May 26th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Stop giving me good reasons to finish my crate scenery items!!! If someone can skin them properly, they'd make a great addition, as you've already said.

Rob Oplawar
May 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I've given it some more thought, and tentatively decided that it would work on a need-to-know basis. I would put up a list of things that need doing, each with short descriptions, and each as spoiler free as possible. Then someone who would like to contribute would pick something from the list and send me an e-mail proposing to do it, and if I accept the proposal I would send back all the information the person would need in order to finish that item, and that's where potential spoilers could come in.
I would keep a list of the items that have been finished along with who finished them, and all the names of the people who did those things would appear in the credits.

e: I'm thinking of a data structure to represent this, so that I could quickly write up a web application to handle most of this.
Basically, there would be classifications of tasks - 3d models, textures, concept art, animation, etc.
Inside those there would be a list of things that need doing, and a list of things that are done (this would provide a sort of public overview of how far along the project is).
You'd be able to click on an item to view its description, and from there submit a "request to do thing" form, which would ask you for your name, links where I could find examples of your related work, and a proposed completion date. I would review this request, and should I deem you worthy you'd get an e-mail back with all the information you need to complete the task.

The system would keep track of who did what, when they proposed to finish it, and when they actually finished it, and all this would be publicly viewable. Since I have no means of payment, this would provide an alternative incentive to get your shit done on time, which is the major problem I've had in the past. I'm thinkin you would register a profile, and from this profile people would be able to see what you've done and how good you've been about meeting deadlines.

so, what do you think?

Sever
May 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM
You've just done what this community needs to revive it. I believe that if you manage and maintain it properly, the results will be quite impressive, and may also lead to future collaborative projects. If you need any help managing anything, I've got the time and incentive.

Sel
May 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Nows really a bad time, itd be better to wait till the start of summer, when people get free. Right now a lot of us are being raped by school shit :|

Looks like a great idea.

Reaper Man
May 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Sounds cool, similar to Adobe Bridge and the hiring photographers section. I'm guessing that's where you got the name from?

supersniper
May 26th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm like this. I think its the first step towards open source modding.

ima_from_America
May 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I think this is a good idea. I'm out of school, but I know nothing about anything that has to do with modeling... or texturing... or UVWing... or animating... or... just forget it.

Sever
May 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM

im pretty sure the name of the map is bridge.

Sounds cool, similar to Adobe Bridge and the hiring photographers section. I'm guessing that's where you got the name from?

im pretty sure the name of the map is bridge.People, don't make Bacon's words have to be re-restated. The name of Rob's long-time-WIP is Bridge CE.

Corndogman
May 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I really like this idea. I wouldn't mind modeling various objects for you come summer (2 weeks.)

Rob Oplawar
May 27th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I think I'm gonna go for it, but in order to do so I need to get my website out of alphaville and into betatown. It's nearly ready, but you know what they say- the last 10% of the work takes 90% of the time. But I ought to have something workable in a couple of weeks- just in time.

Con
May 29th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I'm like this. I think its the first step towards open source modding.
no, that was HEK+...except that was more like "break open" source.