PDA

View Full Version : [TF2] So I just bought it

Anton
May 29th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Like the title says, I just bought the orange box, and so I installed TF2. I'm so lost, which classes are best, and what maps are the most fun?

So far I like scout, and killing someone is a pain in the arse for any class.

Am I doing something wrong? :confused2:

n00b1n8R
May 29th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Killing people is easy. Aim at them and click the left mouse button until they fall over. :downs:

No seriously, your going to be a bit lost to start with. There are some class's you should avoid (to start with) if you want to kill anything, because the best way to learn how to use these classes is to watch other people use it (either for or against your team, either is useful). I'd say to avoid the spy and engineer (atleast if you'd be the only engy on your team), and probably the sniper to begin with. There's also a certain knack to the demoman, but it's not too hard to pick up.

There are some top quality tutorials on youtube, I highly recomend watching this guy's TF2 vids, even though he doesn't cover all the classes, it will tell you about how certain classes can fuck up others, and how to avoid it:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=EvilDaedalus&p=r

I also recommend this guy's vid's. They give you a great understanding of how the classes can be put to work by somebody who's seriously good:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=pharadox05&p=r

You can look up "how to play the" or "tf2 guide" on youtube to find a bunch of other great vids too. :)

Good luck :awesome:

Bodzilla
May 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Welcome to the club brother.

Pooky
May 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM
So far I like scout, and killing someone is a pain in the arse for any class.

Well if you're playing scout, killing people is going to be a pain :p

Do what noob said, and just practice. TF2 feels way different from any other fps out there it just takes some getting used to.

Sever
May 29th, 2008, 09:42 AM
The way I play as a Scout, the only pain is to the enemies! I usually get at least a 1.5-2/1 kill/death ratio, along with a 2.5-3/1 point/death ratio. I've logged almost 30 hours as a Scout, however, and I know where all of the health packs are (VERY necessary for a Scout to know) and the best escape paths from my current location, as well as how to effectively deal the most damage without putting myself in compromising areas.

If you want to easily kill someone, you either need to have a lot of experience with one-on-one combat with specific classes, or you need to work with at least one other member of your team. I recommend playing as a Medic, so you can study how other players (both friend and foe) attempt to go about killing enemies while attempting to stay alive themselves, and seeing what works. Also, you'll always be beneficial to your team as a Medic! Once you have observed what usually works and usually doesn't, then you should go out and try it yourself.

Pooky
May 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm not arguing that Scout can't get kills, it's just harder as Scout than as other classes since you're so frail and you have to get pretty close.

Bodzilla
May 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
bonking time.

I'm a force of nature.

Anton
May 29th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the pointers guys.

MNC
May 30th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I don't find scout that useful in closed areas such as dustbowl 1. Too little space to jump around and easily to get hit by rocket splash.

Sever
May 30th, 2008, 02:44 PM
In Dustbowl Stage 1 Cap 1, I tend to flank to the opposite side of the base, whether I'm on offense or defense, and use my Pistol a good amount. It also gives me a great view of the point itself, so I can quickly help capture or prevent a capture at the opportune moment. That is, when I do play scout on Stage 1 Cap 1. I'm usually one of the members in a Heavy/Medic pair at that point.

MNC
May 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM
It would be amazing by itself just to get past the insane demo spamming that sometimes occurs there.

Pooky
June 1st, 2008, 11:02 AM
It would be amazing by itself just to get past the insane demo spamming that sometimes occurs there.

not to mention sentries <_<