PDA

View Full Version : GMod for Halo 2 Vista?

Kiwibird
February 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM
If many or some of you have played GMod then you know what I'm talking about. It's a third-party mod made for Half-Life 2 made by Garry Newman. It's a sandbox mod that allows you to spawn any prop within Half-Life 2 and manipulate it, weld it, make vehicles, and other construction type things. The site for more information on this is at http://www.garrysmod.com/about/ . Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 were both made using Havok game physics engine. Would this mean that some coder could make something similar to GMod? If so I think this mod would be very successful like GMod.

DaneO'Roo
February 14th, 2007, 03:43 AM
^ uh......im pretty sure Source games use the Havok PHYSICS engine

Though good chance I'm wrong

Agamemnon
February 14th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Yes, Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 use the Havok PHYSICS engine. When it comes to their own gaming, then both use their own. Just because they have the same physics engine doesn't mean any sort of exact copy from Gmod can appear in Halo.

Limited
February 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Both games may use havok but like agamemon said, thats just physics side of things. Source is alot more user mod friendly, you can code in C++ there, thats how gmod was made..

Kiwibird
February 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking after I posted. They have the same physics but not the same coding and gaming engine. I thought it would be pretty cool to spawn warthogs and build with all of the Halo 2's content.

Mr Buckshot
February 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah, both use Havok physics, but Halo 2 doesn't take advantage of it except for scenery. In most Source games and mods, the Havok physics can be used to one's advantage, but in Halo 2, it's mostly for show. Our modders can fix that though :P

Reaper Man
February 23rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Well, it affects the vehicles too. Really I'm not sure what else they could do with it, unless somebody decided they wanted realistic bullet drop.
Which would be awesome.

cls
February 24th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I doubt there cloud be a GMOD like thing for Halo 2 Vista. Most Half Life 2 mods show up as entirely different programs in Steam. Halo and Half Life 2 also install their game cache files in separate ways.
The models and sounds for Hl2 are in separate files instead of being put into the same folder as the maps themselves. If you can call a gcf file a separate folder.