PDA

View Full Version : Uh... Metal Gear Solid 4?

ultama121
June 12th, 2008, 07:26 PM
For some reason, I just realized Metal Gear Solid 4 came out today and I just went to the video store and rented it along with GTA4. Did anyone else not realize it came out? Oh yeah, and this thread does have some sort of point... DISCUSS MGS 4. DO IT.

Ki11a_FTW
June 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I've always been a fan of the Metal Gear Solid games, so yeah i knew it came out, seven eleven was selling it for some reason.. I really want to play it, but i don't own a ps3, and buying one for the game isn't worth it

ultama121
June 12th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I know the PS3 isn't the best in terms of gaming, but if you look at it from a perspective that doesn't only look at gaming, it is a wonderful deal. I've heard people say that they love the Ps3 because it is the ultimate media center. With all of the features that comes with it, gaming is only a plus. :lol:
E: 200th post!

Xetsuei
June 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I know the PS3 isn't the best in terms of gaming, but if you look at it from a perspective that doesn't only look at gaming, it is a wonderful deal. I've heard people say that they love the Ps3 because it is the ultimate media center. With all of the features that comes with it, gaming is only a plus. :lol:
E: 200th post!

lmfao fanboy.

Maybe if I ever buy a PS3 I'll get it. For now I'll wait for yahtzee's review.

ultama121
June 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Xetsuei™;265138']lmfao fanboy.
Not really... :eyesroll:

DaneO'Roo
June 12th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Never played MGS. Looks quite generic to me.

ultama121
June 12th, 2008, 09:10 PM
The reviews say otherwise ;).

LlamaMaster
June 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Never played a MGS. Plus I don't have a PS3, so no way i'll be playing this.

t3h m00kz
June 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM

DUDE.

DUDE.

Zeph
June 12th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Their TV spot advertisements had frame rate lag. I cant imagine how bad the game itself must be.

Bad Waffle
June 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
DUDE.

DUDE.

oh come on, the game has such bland graphics. "HEY GUYS, LETS MAKE EVERYTHING A BROWN TINGE! ITS REALISTIC!"

but other than that, i hate the overly-clean art style. Everything's got dirt and shit flying around, but these guys walk around in suits that seem to be anti-stick plastic.

Anton
June 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Why are graphics such a huge deal now? Back in the 2d Age, we had like the most fun ever by moving a 2d poorly animated character left to right...

I've been a fan of the mgs series forever now, and I want to understand the story fully. Thats the only reason I want to play it, fuck graphics.

Although I do have to agree with you that it's kind of odd how they don't get dirty.

SMASH
June 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
You know what turned me off to MGS? I was at a bestbuy where they had a demo of I think the original back in the day and some idiot got Snake stuck in the bottom of a dark cemented square pool. I stood there for like half an hour trying to get him out until i kinda threw the controller and said screw this. Kinda silly but eh, it was a traumatizing experience >.<. JK, but it really did piss me off and definitely did not make me want to play the game.

p0lar_bear
June 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I went in to work at the same time the Sony representative came in to update our big binder of PlayStation infos and check that we had all of the merch we were supposed to have in our game cases. The guy said he was pretty surprised that we still had some of the MGS4/PS3 bundles left, and I was like "whahahuh?" Didn't even realize it came out.

Looks like I'm going to have to sit this out and play it later, just like I've done with every other fucking MGS released to date. At least I have MGS2 for PC to tide me over until $500 magically appears out of thin air that I can use to get a PS3 and stuff. :haw:

ultama121
June 13th, 2008, 12:33 AM
^I can has Pc port of MGS4?

itszutak
June 13th, 2008, 01:58 AM

Yahtzee reviews satirically. If you have agreed with all his opinions so far, than sure, but his real goal is to nitpick at any flaws a game might have, or to hate any game labeled anything other than "cult classic". In other words, if it's popular, he hates it. I think Portal falls under cult classic, but if not then it's the exception.

That's not to say he's not funny. I love his stuff. I just disagree with what he focuses on, in a game-reviewer lens.

Pope
June 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Yahtzee reviews satirically. If you have agreed with all his opinions so far, than sure, but his real goal is to nitpick at any flaws a game might have, or to hate any game labeled anything other than "cult classic". In other words, if it's popular, he hates it. I think Portal falls under cult classic, but if not then it's the exception.

That's not to say he's not funny. I love his stuff. I just disagree with what he focuses on, in a game-reviewer lens.

I think he's a good reviewer. And what's a reviewer's goal other than to pick out any flaws in a game.

Jelly
June 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I find that Yahtzee almost always point out very valid problems with a game. He often buries them under hilarious analogies, but they're there if you're looking for them.

Limited
June 13th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Known about it for some time, to be honest dont give a shit. Its on PS3, so thats one thing that makes me not care, its MGS, never played it before and havent had the urge to try it out.

I know the last story was a bit stupid. The whole snake vs snakes cousin or whoever it was, and the fact you didnt even battle him.

Yahtzee's reviews are true, but you shouldnt get the whole impression of the game from them.

MNC
June 13th, 2008, 05:58 AM

DUDE.

DUDE.

Gosh, this might be the only game worth getting a ps3 for imo. Fuck, I wish they ported MGS3 to the PC as well.

Kornman00
June 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I didn't know it was released until I checked gamedev.net for news updates yesterday...

Don't have a PS3, so I don't care. I'd rather shell out that $500 on a big screen tv tbqh

FireDragon04
June 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I'll be picking it up soon, I'm a 360 & PS3 owner so more games for the PS3 would be better.

I'm a little disconcerted at people saying the graphics are bland, but they only seem bland because the only images/footage release is of the 'desert town' which has very washed out colors of brown and orange to show its a desert, which it does very well.

And if anyone calls me a fan boy they can come and bite my British arse, cos I'm a Halo Fanboy and thats it LOL.

I_Am_Error117
June 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM
i might get a ps3 for the blue ray, but Im gonna wait for the price to drop alot.

DrunkenSamus
June 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
DUDE.

DUDE.

If he plays the first MGS then he'll fall in love with it. Guaranteed.

MNC
June 13th, 2008, 03:52 PM
If he plays the first MGS then he'll fall in love with it. Guaranteed.
I know I did. I wanted to see what the fuss was all about and I got converted.

p0lar_bear
June 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
If you decide to pick up MGS1, if you've got a Wii or GCN I would recommend the Twin Snakes remake; the only things different between the two games besides graphics are [sometimes overly cheesy] cinematics, and gameplay elements from MGS2 have been put in; though you can pretty much play the whole game through without using hanging, lockers, or the M9.

MNC
June 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'm sad that my game freezes after the metal gear RAY fight in mgs2. I already had to tamper with hexing to get it to run. :(

TeeKup
June 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Same, the trailers were kickass, until I noticed that the Metal Gear Rex's sounded like fucking cattle.

MNC
June 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Those are geckos :eng101:

blind
June 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM
/me needs a PS3

ultama121
June 13th, 2008, 11:28 PM
There have been rumors (some claiming to be more than just rumors) that prior to the release of the PS3 version, they will announce a 360 port of the game. I wouldn't be too surprised.

blind
June 13th, 2008, 11:59 PM
There have been rumors (some claiming to be more than just rumors) that prior to the release of the PS3 version, they will announce a 360 port of the game. I wouldn't be too surprised.
Denied. (http://kotaku.com/gaming/konami/konami-denies-metal-gear-solid-4-on-360-222635.php)

ultama121
June 14th, 2008, 12:06 AM
The authors of that article seems to think that it actually will be ported to the 360.

p0lar_bear
June 14th, 2008, 12:31 AM
It's possible, but there are no plans for it.

They'd have to rework it too and actually, dare I say, compress those 7-channel PCM WAV sound effects that they made to fill the BRD! Gasp!

ultama121
June 14th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Also, seeing as it hardly fits on a Blu-ray disc, they'd probably have to divide it among 5 discs. :lol:

jngrow
June 14th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Their TV spot advertisements had frame rate lag. I cant imagine how bad the game itself must be.
Hey, so did GTA4 :P.

Random
June 14th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Also, seeing as it hardly fits on a Blu-ray disc, they'd probably have to divide it among 5 discs. :lol:

You do know that the audio and texture files are compressed on the fly by the ps3, thus take up large amounts of space on the Blu-ray disc.

p0lar_bear
June 14th, 2008, 02:46 AM
You do know that the audio and texture files are compressed on the fly by the ps3, thus take up large amounts of space on the Blu-ray disc.

I see, a way to waste all that spare disc space AND processing power that nobody has been able to use up yet.

I remember hearing about that and nearly fell out of my chair when I did.

MNC
June 14th, 2008, 06:12 AM
http://www.princeofspades.net/zable/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/mgs4xbox360oj1.png

:awesome:

Jelly
June 14th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Oh you.

Zeph
June 14th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hey, so did GTA4 :P.

GTA4's little framerate stutter was barely noticeable. MGS4 had every scene lagging.

jngrow
June 14th, 2008, 03:20 PM
GTA4's little framerate stutter was barely noticeable. MGS4 had every scene lagging.

Oh, well I haven't seen the commercial. If it's as bad as you say it is then damn.

ultama121
June 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'll admit, there is a bit of an erratic frame rate, but you end up not caring.

alby
June 15th, 2008, 04:06 AM
One of the better games that I have ever played. It's on par with, if not better than Halo 3.

JunkfoodMan
June 15th, 2008, 06:25 AM
One of the better games that I have ever played. It's on par with, if not better than Halo 3.

Alot of things are better than Halo 3.
I'm guessing MGS4 is one of them.

DaneO'Roo
June 15th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Wait, huh turns out I had MGS2 for PC, thinking back now I did play it, but hated it and uninstalled it almost straight away. Just found it underneath a dustpile underneath diablo 1.

Still am not seeing what the fuss is about.

E* watched some trailers

THAT is 50 gb worth of data?

Pooky
June 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Why do they insist on having the subtitle "Tactical espionage action"?

It looks retarded.

That's like "Halo: Shoot aliens with guns action"

"Team Fortress 2: Stand on the point action"

"Portal: Fall through science holes action"

Pope
June 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Why do they insist on having the subtitle "Tactical espionage action"?

It looks retarded.

That's like "Halo: Combat Evolved"

It's just another signature thing from the series. It's the first game of it's kind (The Metal Gear Series) and it just makes it what it is.

p0lar_bear
June 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
The whole point behind the gameplay in the Metal Gear Solid series was to get from point A to point B without being detected. What else are you going to call it, Metal Gear Solid: Super-Fun Sneaky Secret Agent Happy Stealth Hour?

The game is one of those "you had to be there" deals. I played it when I was younger, and my friends and I had a blast doing shit like getting a guard to follow a figure-8 of footprints in the snow, or whipping out a Stinger launcher just to take out one lone camera. Of course, the boss battles were great, especially playing them the first time through, figuring out the best way to take them out. After doing stupid shit, then we'd all try our hand at the perfection-style runs, trying to get the "Big Boss" postgame rating (which entails never raising an alert while sneaking around, saving almost never, never using recovery items, never killing anyone except bosses, all on the Extreme difficulty).

MGS2 took everything I liked about the first one and expanded on it; essentially, more ways to mess with guards; anything from holdups, to kicking them over railings. %-)

e: I also might add that VR missions were great party games imho.

jngrow
June 16th, 2008, 03:58 PM
"Portal: Fall through science holes action"
I lol'd. Science holes..