PDA

View Full Version : New Car

kenney001
June 29th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Im probably going on Monday to pick it up from the guy.

It is $8000, with only 54,000 miles on it.

It had a salvage title, which made me very very wary. It was rear-ended, but it was completely professionally rebuilt. Could not find a single spot around, inside, or under the car where it showed any deformation or damage. My dad, being a mechanic, couldn't tell it had ever been wrecked. Alignment was dead-on, all power options worked, all doors opened/closed nicely. No rattles/noises. Car suspension was completely intact and level. The guy has all titles, and has been driving it for 2 years after the accident without trouble. We did a carfax, which showed only the one accident.

Features:
power locks
power windows
sunroof
after-market infinity 7.1 sound system
17" Enkei rims.
4 speed automatic with autoshift.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/vote1sanches/7609863717235544760IM102565x421_A56.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/vote1sanches/7609863718235544760IM103565x421_A56.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/vote1sanches/6616554957235544760IM107565x421_A56.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/vote1sanches/6616554956235544760IM106565x421_A56.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/vote1sanches/6616554955235544760IM105565x421_A56.jpg

What do you all think?

Bad Waffle
June 29th, 2008, 12:47 AM
buy a motorcycle. they're better :D

kenney001
June 29th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I can't tell you how fast I would buy one if i could, but parents said no.

adumass
June 29th, 2008, 12:51 AM
It looks good to me, but then again I don't know a lot about cars.

Bad Waffle
June 29th, 2008, 02:32 AM
whats the gas milage? i think you should save and buy something you'll use through college, because you're not gonna have any money for gas or buying a new car because you'll be trying to pay for all the obscene tuitions etc.

ultama121
June 29th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Looks nice.

Mass
June 29th, 2008, 02:40 AM
buy a motorcycle. they're better :D
yeah

or just don't buy something that runs on gas :/

Bodzilla
June 29th, 2008, 04:40 AM
only 8000?

:gonk:

beele
June 29th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Nice car, enjoy your ride when you get it. :)

Snowy
June 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
It looks like a Tiburon, is it?

Looks like a really nice deal for the money. I hope to get a Dodge Challenger some day... if I can get my job that pays $10+/hour I'll be able to get it by the time senior year is over... then I simply go to college in a state where they don't require you to have car insurance :p

Anyway, hope you enjoy the car, let us know how it is. I know my brother is looking at getting a Tiburon.

kenney001
June 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I make 10-12 average an hour. Im a waiter, so it varies. For example, i made $100.55 last night in 5 hours, but I made $40 the other night in the same time.

Mr Buckshot
June 29th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Holy awesome. Are you going to retrofit any tech inside? That's definitely something I'd do if I were to buy a car like that...I love having an in-dash LCD and those things are half their former price these days. A number of electronics giants can do the retrofits for you.

That's one sexy coupe right there - it would definitely turn heads at school or something.

PenGuin1362
June 29th, 2008, 10:47 PM
eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. automatic >:|

nice car though.

kenney001
June 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM
yeah, but I think autoshift will still make it fun.....Close enough to a stick for me.

Apoc4lypse
June 30th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Damn, I wish that was my car...

I already spent $5000 on a 2000 v6 Grand Am though.. I would have gladly paid the extra $3000 for a car like that.

Hotrod
June 30th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Well, that's a nice car, and a great deal for the price. Sure, it would have been nice if it had a standard/manual/stick-shift (all the same btw) transmission, but as I said, it's a great deal. It's even better since everything is in perfect order, and there's no problems with it. I hope you enjoy your new car.

Con
June 30th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Nice car, rims are sexy too.

kenney001
June 30th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I dont care that its not manual, because Its got an autoshift setting.
(manual with an auto-clutch). Still gives you the fun of manual, but also you can set it to auto for the stop/go stuff.

TeeKup
June 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Its a Hyundai. Thats an automatic Hell No from me.

Con
June 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
hyundai*

normally they look gross, but this tuburon ain't so bad. It's bearable.

also, aren't these cars cute? : D
http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/Smart_ForTwo_1.jpg

TeeKup
June 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM
OMFG SMART CAR. KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Hotrod
June 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I, on the other hand, love Smart Cars, and would love to have one. Each to their own though.

Con
June 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM
OMFG SMART CAR. KILL IT WITH FIRE.
:mad:
┌┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┐
┤This is an---..├
┤AIDS virus...├
┤Copy it-help├
┤it spread---...├
└┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┘

kenney001
June 30th, 2008, 12:21 PM
i would rather drive that smart car off a cliff than any where else...

SnaFuBAR
June 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hyundais suck. Take it from my friend who is a mechanic. There were more new Hyundais in the shop more often than older cars of any brand. They have a great warranty because they need it. Don't waste 8 large on that.

Hyundais are terrible.

Heathen
June 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
That is one beautiful animal...

Kalub
June 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Its meh, its a nice looking car, but I'm not a big fan of automatics or of how slow the tiburons can be at times.

What year is it?\

also e: autoshift doesn't even come close to a standard transmission.... :P

Mr Buckshot
June 30th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hyundais suck. Take it from my friend who is a mechanic. There were more new Hyundais in the shop more often than older cars of any brand. They have a great warranty because they need it. Don't waste 8 large on that.

Hyundais are terrible.

I've never even rented a Hyundai, so I don't know, but from your description, they seem to have worse reliability than American brands...which I always have bad experience with (rental cars, i.e. a 2004 Cadillac Deville, rented in 2006 in Boston, suffered engine failure on the freeway). From what I hear the American brands are improving steadily though, and offer stuff that can finally compete with the Europeans and Japanese. The biggest U.S. improvements so far are in the cabin tech...they used to be pathetic in that field.

Well Hyundai is more economy than Toyota, so I wouldn't really expect the best out of it.

Kalub
June 30th, 2008, 11:09 PM
The only Hyundai I have ever had any luck with is my bud's-mom's 2001 accent, it only has 20K miles on it though and has been pampered since day one.

Anyways, american cars do just fine for what we need them for, and you shouldn't really base your assumptions on a rental car because they are, well, rented.

I just prefer japanese cars because I like the JDM street racing scene, it appeals to me so.... Hondas, Nissan, Toyota anyone?

Bodzilla
July 1st, 2008, 02:32 AM
rental cars are sposed to be driven to the point of breaking. it's one of the purks of the car, being able to thrash it worse then you'd safely thrash yours

TeeKup
July 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
I've never even rented a Hyundai, so I don't know, but from your description, they seem to have worse reliability than American brands...which I always have bad experience with (rental cars, i.e. a 2004 Cadillac Deville, rented in 2006 in Boston, suffered engine failure on the freeway). From what I hear the American brands are improving steadily though, and offer stuff that can finally compete with the Europeans and Japanese. The biggest U.S. improvements so far are in the cabin tech...they used to be pathetic in that field.

Well Hyundai is more economy than Toyota, so I wouldn't really expect the best out of it.

You'll find Chrysler on par with the majority of all other luxury brands out there. I've driven the Crossfire several times a long with my friends Lexus several days ago, I favored the Crossfire. Of course, nothing to date can compare to the IS:

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/spinaroundtown/07.lexus.is.250/07.lexus.is250.340.jpg

Mr Buckshot
July 1st, 2008, 08:02 PM
You'll find Chrysler on par with the majority of all other luxury brands out there. I've driven the Crossfire several times a long with my friends Lexus several days ago, I favored the Crossfire. Of course, nothing to date can compare to the IS:

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/spinaroundtown/07.lexus.is.250/07.lexus.is250.340.jpg

Never seen the Crossfire, but I did prefer the Lincoln MKS (rented in Dubai) over the Lexus ES 350 (it was provided to my dad as a substitute vehicle during the mandatory annual car-servicing checkup). See, I'm starting to appreciate the U.S. brands now. As for Chrysler, I highly doubt it's on par with the LS 460 (what I have), but it can compete with the mid-range vehicles or once. Other American cars I have sat in include a Chrysler Town&Country (superbly inferior to my old Honda Odyssey), a Pontiac Grand Am (nothing great, nothing terrible), a Ford Taurus (OMG piece of shit all the way), a Cadillac Deville (like I said, engine failure on the freeway in less than 2 hours after rental), and a Chevrolet Impala (quite stable, but the air-con broke).

If you want to see truly cutting edge car tech, go to Japan. I sat in a Japan-spec Toyota Prius in Singapore, and the Prius was loaded to the brim with all the tech that's in my Lexus, along with a few extras that aren't even offered in North America. Corollas in Japan come standard with hard-drive-based GPS and radar cruise control.

This isn't a comparison thread anyway. I read up on this Hyundai Tiburon, and I have confirmed that it does offer a satisfactory driving experience, but as with other Hyundais the reliability is questionable. Competitors to the Tiburon are the Civic Coupe and the Nissan 350z.

Kalub
July 2nd, 2008, 06:33 AM
Bah, AC and Cruise control.....

Two windows down @ 70 mph and a nice and steady foot; now that's luxury.

TeeKup
July 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Then you need to experience American luxury more. Lincoln and Chrysler are leaders in it. The brand new MKS that just came out is absolutely beautiful though.
ytS9SsE-nUI
Please keep in mind that Lincoln is one of Fords luxury Marque's.

Bodzilla
July 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
Chryslers are terrible driving cars.

i remember Top gear doing a some reviews on some big strong Powerful cars and one of them was supposed to be this U-Bute Chrysler Power machine. and it was absolutely terrible.

Limited
July 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Nice looking car, I just hope its structurally sound, after being in a crash it will have weaken alot of the car and but stresses on it.

Automatic? omg >_< Really doesnt give you the ability to use the car to the full, its okay for just everyday cars and arent special, but for a car like this you really want it to be fun, entertaining and you want to be able to push it to the limit. I havent driven an automatic, but I can see it being ver limited in what I can do with it.

But if your happy with that, go for it, I expect it will be a great car :D.

Have you had a test drive in it?

i remember Top gear doing a some reviews on some big strong Powerful cars and one of them was supposed to be this U-Bute Chrysler Power machine. and it was absolutely terrible.
I remember that one, it handled like a complete bitch. Great looks but these type of cars should be easy but fun to drive.

TeeKup
July 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM

What year and model was it? Because the Crossfire handled great to me. I haven't driven a 300C due to I'm skeptical about its handling, its a fairly sized car to its probably sluggish.

Mr Buckshot
July 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Then you need to experience American luxury more. Lincoln and Chrysler are leaders in it. The brand new MKS that just came out is absolutely beautiful though.
ytS9SsE-nUI
Please keep in mind that Lincoln is one of Fords luxury Marque's.

I never liked Ford/Lincoln much, not that I really was enthusiastic about the 6-plus American rental cars I sat in. The only Lincoln I sat in was a Town Car limo that my friend rented to take out a group of 11 people - the seats didn't feel great.

Anyway you don't need a prestige badge to have awesome luxury in a vehicle. Another of my relatives (this time in Hong Kong) owns an Asian-spec right-hand-drive Toyota Camry, which is fitted with leather seats that are really soft and comfortable, not like the hard, vinyl-like leather that I experienced in a Chrysler Pacifica. The Camry's leather seats were electrically ventilated so they literally cooled down my ass on hot days at the flick of a switch, and they manually reclined too to a limited degree. The Camry also had the Generation-5 navigation system and reverse camera that's in my Lexus LS 460. As you can see, you can find some pretty hot stuff in a supposedly "poor brand" badge.

What the Americans need to do most is to offer the good options in every single vehicle on their lineup, in order to keep with the pace. Now, even the U.S.-spec Toyota Corolla and the Honda Civic can be optioned with the cool tech that was once restricted to $30k-plus cars, while the more expensive Chevrolet Malibu doesn't even offer Bluetooth phone integration. I know that people who buy cars in that price range don't have Mercedes-like comfort on their minds, but they would still appreciate the opportunity to get the high tech.

That Lincoln ad looks pretty sweet though, a sign that the high-tech cabin is quickly becoming a mainstay regardless of badge. Also, isn't the Sync interface for the GPS and Bluetooth phone system co-developed by Microsoft? Exterior looks good for once, compared to the extremely ugly Lincoln sedans in the previous generation. It beats everything in me to say this, but I'd be thrilled to rent a car like that.