PDA

View Full Version : [APP] OpenSauce SDK for Halo CE 1.08

Pages : [1] 2

Kornman00
July 7th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Its that time again. Another Bungie Day in yet another year.

WELL! Wake up and smell the air, because the winds of change are here! Or coming rather. You all thought it would never happen, you all shrugged it off as yet another halo project that was all-talk-no-walk, you all think CMT will actually release something someday. OK, so maybe not that last bit, but it was worth a shot, no? No, okay.

Well, prepare to be blown...away. Prepare to cream the area which your pants used to cover, but due to the extreme gale force winds that change has brought, have now been blown away and are being worn by the Pantaless tribes populating the uncivilized lands of Africa (Lord I apologize, please be with the starvin' pygmies down there in New Guinea).

"Open Sauce", ladies and people-lacking-vagaroos, is a Kornner Software development modeled highly after the 'Yelo' project. An Open Source development. Meaning, you will be able to see our sauce source. Of course, there are always some catches, but discussion of those catches are for another time (which is not now), but rest assured that one of those catches do not involve money.

What can you expect with such fine homemade sauce? Well, you can definitely expect Halo CE to become MUCH more adaptive in terms of mods. Not only because you will now be able to add your own engine extensions and such, but because you will be able to....make your OWN tag groups :o. Meaning, you can create totally new tags (http://kornnersoftware.com/yelo/updates/custom_group_example.jpg) of whatever structure of values you like (within the limits of the target editor).

The In-Your-Pants excitement doesn't stop there though. While the first release of Open Sauce will contain joyful collections of HaloCE resources, one of the other goodies we also have in store is for Halo 2 (Xbox), which is scheduled for inclusion in at least the second major release of Open Sauce. I don't want to spoil the entire surprise of what you can look forward to in the coming months, so I'll leave some of the more juicy details for the first release post.

If you're not a programmer, then "Open Sauce" may not tickle your fancy as much. Not to worry, an official Yelo release using Open Sauce will be made further down the road.

Attached is the first release to the OpenSauce SDK

OpenSauce is released under the GNU GPLv3 license. Any publicly released works using any of OS's code must contain a copy of the modified source code, or a link to where a user can download the modified source in a readme file in the released work's archive. However, I will consider private licenses on a per-person basis.

ATTN: Currently fixing some problems in the OS IDE (a tool, one of its uses is to help create the custom tags).

Right now I'm still working on the User Manual. You can of course go ahead and start browsing the source code, I suggest starting in "Main.cpp"
UPDATE: Expect the first draft of the User Manual in the Thanksgiving timeframe

In order to build and test it in game, select a Release build (will build for v1.08 of the game) and build "Halo1_CE" (its the only project). In bin\Release\Halo1_CE\ there will be a "d3d9.dll. Place this inside your HaloCE install directory and load the game. You will need the newest DX9 SDK and Visual Studio 2005. You can try building with other versions of VS, but only 05 is supported.

There's only so much one person can do and I didn't want to break my promise of releasing on Nov 15th. So, have patience and faith for the rest will come.

Download 1350EST.rar ONLY

Limited
July 7th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Blast netcode enhancements is greyed out.

So no release today, just info about it? :D

Kornman00
July 7th, 2008, 06:45 AM
No release yet, just announcement

Anton
July 7th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Hey korn, about that date.. :3

O wait, you mean Release dates. D:

Curse my reading.

But on a more serious note, I'll be looking forward to some more news. :)

Heathen
July 7th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Ok, while I know this is gonna boom when everyone wakes up, but Im gonna do this now. See I have little sense of technical understanding as far as all this business goes. I understand a bit and can follow in big discussions. But as far as alot of what you just said I dont really follow.

Since I'm retarded, what does this mean for me, the casual onlooker and player?

Im thinking I understand a little bit.
Basically you can fit alot more tags now which means more stuff. Mirite?

Dont call me stupid if I'm wrong....words hurt.

n00b1n8R
July 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I think he means new types of tags, whatever that could be used for.. :raise:

beele
July 7th, 2008, 07:18 AM
This is really great, you amass us again kornman :D

Among one of the nice things I saw, MULTITEAM VEHICLES :)

Bodzilla
July 7th, 2008, 07:32 AM
your making my head hurt again KM.

Kornman00
July 7th, 2008, 07:35 AM
It doesn't mean anything immediate for the average player, but for modders with knowledge with things like C++, they can expand the engine considerably since it provides a strong base for creating "trainers" (such a pathetic term, lets go with "game modules").

The ability to create new tag groups is there so the programmers of modding teams can support their designer's ideas without having to hard code data into their Yelo game module.

We're not releasing the exact details on whats included in the Yelo source, as open sourced features may come and go before the release date, which again, is not today.

Heathen
July 7th, 2008, 07:48 AM
...Sooooooo....
My interperetation:

They can make outside apps that work like the trainers to put in those dev commands to expand the engines abilities with custom dev commands?

Kornman00
July 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM
You're on the right track. It's not limited to custom script functions, they can change the flow of the game's code, do stuff seen in Yelo Battery, etc.

Heathen
July 7th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Sounds sweet :D

Choking Victim
July 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
jawesome. What are the limits if any? Does it edit existing tag classes?

Thank you kornman :)

Roostervier
July 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Great stuff kornman, this'll be awesome. : D

Hotrod
July 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Well, this is bound to be the best thing that has happened to Halo CE since the discovery of changing the campaign scripts. I can't wait to see what will happen once this is released, the possibilities for the definition of "custom content" will be a lot more numerous. Thank you for making our day so much better good sir, this is appreciated.

Rob Oplawar
July 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure I fully understand the way this works. This lets you modify/extend the core functionality of the game engine itself?
Say, for example, I wanted to have a custom tag in a map. I assume I probably can't just create the custom tag in the map and then release it handy dandy to everybody with a standard version of Halo CE. Do I create a modified Halo CE, or do I send some Open Sauce packages along with the map file, and expect the users to somehow install those packages in order to be able to play my map?

e: wait, I may have misunderstood altogether. Just what is this- a modification on the engine (is that even possible?)? or something that wraps around the engine like that bloom mod thing? or an extended tag editor? or what?

PenGuin1362
July 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Since i interrupted your booty call i'll ask here, would this allow for say, team bipeds? : )

also say hi for me.

Disaster
July 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I'm Confused. Oh well I think I understand a bit. I.E. You could create said command like heathen said, that could change permutations? I know its probably wrong.

legionaire45
July 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
so liek can we hard code like hdr into the engin yet?

Does one of those catches involve sexual favors?

(cool stuff btw)

ultama121
July 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I can hardly comprehend the absolute orsmnessocity :o. This just makes me *sniff* cr-*sniff*cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!dffjdadaj dfjdjakfjjadjidfj

Kornman00
July 7th, 2008, 03:42 PM
In order for your custom tags to be used, the build of Yelo that someone makes which uses said tag, has to be ran. If it's not ran (or if no Yelo is ran at all), nothing bad happens as nothing will be looking for said tag. It's multiple things Rob, it's not only a base for extending the engine (what Battery does), its various other tools that sit outside actually running the game (ie, the tool to create the definitions of custom tag groups, and the tool which allows editing of those custom tags, along with the original ones).

The editor still works with all existing tags, no worries.

And the next time you interrupt my affairs PenGuin, its curtains for you! :P

The sky is the limit, and the sky goes as high as your level of coding and reverse engineering goes. We've provided tools to do some pretty nifty stuff in the game's world and such, but as far as enhancing the graphics, thats on you, the end user.

Apoc4lypse
July 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM
The sky is the limit, and the sky goes as high as your level of coding and reverse engineering goes. We've provided tools to do some pretty nifty stuff in the game's world and such, but as far as enhancing the graphics, thats on you, the end user.

So basically... the words "it can't be done because its hard coded into the engine" shouldn't ever be said again?

At least thats what I'm hoping...

Its not really trainers I understand that, but maybe an easier way to make "trainers". Outside applications or add-ons of code that extend the reach of halos actual engine.

I guess I'm going to have to go and start learning C++

I doubt any of what I learned in VB will help me, but its worth a shot trying to learn something. :) I'll go see if I can find some books on it at the library or something.

This sounds really amazing though... I'm wondering if it'll bring more coders too CE, id imagine it would.

I do have one question though. When you say new tag groups though, I assume you mean like, all the functions in the game can be mixed and matched together into one tag. So like, lets say we took functions from the biped tag and added them to the vehicle tag, we could potentially create vehicle tags that utilize biped walking functions? I'm just taking a long shot guess at trying to understand what you mean heh, because I haven't ever done anything related to trying to code for halo at all...

At any rate, this sounds really cool.

E: Well maybe I don't completely understand, but I understand the no later than date, as for actual date... eh idk yet.

oh btw... \/ I always click ur sig, its like an OCD thing for me now XD.

Random
July 7th, 2008, 04:42 PM
:) Thank you

Disaster
July 7th, 2008, 04:43 PM
THANK YOU :awesome: Halo ce is finally going on a track for the better instead of noob maps and aimbots.

Bad Waffle
July 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM
what the hell km, if you leave the sauce open for too long it might spoil, put some seran wrap over it >:|

looks like its time to upgrade the netcode and the graphics...woot woot

Disaster
July 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
This is going to revolutionize ce. If it ever is released, it will be the single most important thing besides the hek and game.

sdavis117
July 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I don't think people are getting the full grasp of this update. With it you can:

-Make gravlifts that work.
-Technically allow the sniper to see where your reticle is instead of just making that part of the scope transparent.
-This will let you make mines.
-This could potentially let you make team-specific attributes, like red team starts with a rocket and blue starts with a sword.
-This will let you make a working sword.

And thats just the stuff I'm think of off the top of my head. As Korn, the skies the limit.

Monopoly
July 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I don't think people are getting the full grasp of this update. With it you can:

-Make gravlifts that work.
-Technically allow the sniper to see where your reticle is instead of just making that part of the scope transparent.
-This will let you make mines.
-This could potentially let you make team-specific attributes, like red team starts with a rocket and blue starts with a sword.
-This will let you make a working sword.

And thats just the stuff I'm think of off the top of my head. As Korn, the skies the limit.

OMG gravlifts, mines, and allowing the sniper to see where your reticle is, that'll revolutionize CE for sure http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-downsbravo.gif !

Terin
July 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
what the hell km, if you leave the sauce open for too long it might spoil, put some seran wrap over it >:|

looks like its time to upgrade the netcode and the graphics...woot wootWait srysly.

This will be epic.

Disaster
July 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Epicly Epic :awesome:

Rob Oplawar
July 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
So with this tool I could, for example, bypass a certain map cache file tag allocation size limit without hacking both tool and CE? :3
Shit, I gotta recruit some C++ programmers onto my team.
... *learns C++*

SMASH
July 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Normal Maps MB?!?!?!

Disaster
July 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Normal Maps MB?!?!?!
Without Dynamic =O
And Co-Op campaign.
Dual Wield
Working Equipment
More features like lunge
Board
Horizontal Physics
:awesome:

Terin
July 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Normal Maps MB?!?!?!Here's me being a dumbass, but what's the difference between a bump map and a normal map?

Rentafence
July 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Here's me being a dumbass, but what's the difference between a bump map and a normal map?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

Heathen
July 7th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Woah, so I'm not the only one that was left behind.

So all the stuff about the sword, coop, sniper, and all that crap?

Im goosing out here :hyper:

Disaster
July 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
^ same :iia:

sdavis117
July 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Wait till you can stand on a moving vehicles and not get thrown off (with none of that ladders crap).

Anyone want to kill a Scarab? Well now you can like in Halo 3 (or 2, even though that Scarab was on a 100% fixed track, so you could technically get around that issue by moving the map around it, but the Halo 3 Scarab had a dynamic path).

Corndogman
July 7th, 2008, 10:38 PM
So this means that.....

Spv2 is delayed another year because masterz wants to use this to add in some crazy shit that he couldnt before.

Seriously though, this is epic. like i need to go change my underpants now.

Hotrod
July 7th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Spv2 is delayed another year because masterz wants to use this to add in some crazy shit that he couldnt before.
Actually, make that one year, plus the time it takes for this to be released.

Heathen
July 7th, 2008, 10:48 PM
If so I'd be stoked. IDC if it is delayed.

Terin
July 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

Normal mapping is the application of the technique known as bump mapping.THAT DOESN'T HELP :gonk:

Doesn't Halo 1 already support bump/normal/strange mapping? I could have sworn that some of the forerunner textures had some bump mapping on them. If so, why is SMASH saying that we could do normal mapping with Open Sauce?

ARGH MINDFUCK

Heathen
July 7th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I have a question.

Could you do a good first person vehicle camera with this?

I have always wanted it.

Roostervier
July 7th, 2008, 11:18 PM
So this means that.....

With all due respect to the team, the time it is going to take to get finished will be well into November. The amount of work left when I left the team was... well, quite large. So I think they'd have time to implement this anyway, if they chose to do so.

Also, brb; reading between the lines.

Heathen
July 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
With all due respect to the team, the time it is going to take to get finished will be well into November. The amount of work left when I left the team was... well, quite large. So I think they'd have time to implement this anyway, if they chose to do so.

Also, brb; reading between the lines.

Thats great news.

Ida been ok with waiting, but I didn't want to :D

SMASH
July 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM
THAT DOESN'T HELP :gonk:

Doesn't Halo 1 already support bump/normal/strange mapping? I could have sworn that some of the forerunner textures had some bump mapping on them. If so, why is SMASH saying that we could do normal mapping with Open Sauce?

ARGH MINDFUCK

In essence, normal maps and bump maps are similar in that they both give the illusion of depth and detail. Bump maps basically use the information from the map to cast shadows on the object to give the illusion of displacement. Normal maps however can make a low poly object look like a super high poly object without dynamic lights. Look at next gen games like Gears Of War, H3, ect. Almost every material has a normal map because normal maps > bump maps.

Also, normal maps on weapons and vehicle = win :).

Terin
July 7th, 2008, 11:56 PM
So Normal Maps are supar bump maps then. Ok, that makes sense. I guess...

Just one of the many improvements this will bring. Can't wait.

Masterz1337
July 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
So this means that.....

Personally idc much about this project, if it comes out in time, we'd just use it to use shader environments on gbxmodels.

Invader Veex
July 8th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Wow, this is awesome. Now I would like some more space to compile more stuff with this. :awesome:

SMASH
July 8th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Would the release date be 07/08/09 from the numbers in the subject?

Kornman00
July 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Oh, god no, it's this year. However, one of those numbers is right, but whose to say its in the right position or not?...

You wouldn't be able to change the maximum tag allocation no. This is to extend the functionality of the engine. Such constants can't be changed without actually recompiling the engine's source (ie, changing the max allowable players).

Again, as far as graphics go, it's on the end user to reverse engineer the process to extend the engine in such a way they can upgrade that pipeline of the engine.

We never got around to sorting out the problems with our extensions to the networking engine of the game. I may regret saying this now, but as it stands currently, the networking code hacks which I wrote to allow custom packets are included in Open Sauce. Whether or not we can figure out the problems we were having before release is another issue however. So, doing things like custom team bipeds isn't here just yet, but it is much closer than before.

Patrickssj6
July 8th, 2008, 06:18 AM
BB said open src would be today

I hate lying bananas...but maybe just because they are under the dictatorship of corn.
>:*

Just kidding, sounds good ^^ even though I'd prefer the engine src code.

Hunter
July 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Does this mean you can enable bumpmaps on vehicles and weapons and make it so that we can stand on moving vehicles without falling off and with it syncing?

SMASH
July 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Only if we can learn to code it into the engine... which may take a while...

Heathen
July 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
LOL, just noticed the Corn and Bananas....heh.

ShadowSpartan
July 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Would the release date be 07/08/09 from the numbers in the subject?
I think it's more like November 15, 2008.

Anyway, awesome job on this. I can't wait to mess around with it once it's released.

Hotrod
July 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I think it's more like November 15, 2008.
Either that, or July 17th 2006 (7th month, 8+9th day). Take your time though, quality is better than quantity.

Evil_Monkey
July 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
14th November 2008 at 12pm GMT so that would be 14/11/08 or November 15th depending what you will call it.

Am I right?

ShadowSpartan
July 8th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Either that, or July 17th 2006 (7th month, 8+9th day). Take your time though, quality is better than quantity.
Look at the countdown in his sig...not the topic title.

Disaster
July 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Hotrod
July 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Look at the countdown in his sig...not the topic title.
Right, didn't see that, what a stupid mistake for me to make. Thanks for pointing that out.

Invader Veex
July 8th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I hope when I download and try using I won't get rickrolled. D:

Heathen
July 8th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I was wondering......and it probably is.

But is forcing AA within this things ungodly reach?

Also, my first person driving camera question still stands..

Kilamanjaro12
July 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Revolution, here we come

DemonOne
July 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Korn, are you going to write more about the tech stuff any time soon?
We would really like to see an example of how the code is going to be used.

Disaster
July 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM

I don't think so because that would have to change the rendering engine of the game. New tags wouldn't affect it, but I could be wrong.

Rosco
July 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM

There was an app called fphack, bitter banana made it. It was very buggy, and the camera wouldnt always stay inside mc's head. I tell you what I've always wanted to do since hugeass was released about a million years ago, and that was fly the longsword fp. :D

Roostervier
July 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure you could make a camera marker where the camera should be and in the vehicle tag make the driver's seat set to fp. Maybe it won't work for driver specifically, I've never tried, but that's how it works for passenger seats.

Heathen
July 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Right, I have fphack but its wabbley because its set to a coordinate, not attached to the mc's face. Any way we can do that with this? If you can make the sniper do what it does in h2 then I dont see why not.

Ki11a_FTW
July 12th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Does this mean we can now have something like matchmaking?

And Mics :awesome:

The_Wraith
July 13th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I don't want to be a downer or anything, but isn't modifying the engine or netcode in anyway a huge violation of the EULA? Regular mods aren't, of course, because all end content belongs to Bungie...but what about this?

Heathen
July 13th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Uh oh...way to be a downer...

Kornman00
July 13th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Well yes, but Yelo Battery has been out for quite some time, and we've yet to get a C&D from anyone. We're trying to expand the game, which would make more people came back to playing it, or end up actually buying it (looking at you 1.0 players). I mean, its Halo 1. I'm sure MS has bigger fish to fry.

Were we cracking the exe so that you didn't need a cd or valid key to play, I would be worried, but we're not even modifying the actual game's exe.

EDIT: then theres always the edited version of the HEK I made that almost everyone uses...

Heathen
July 13th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Can I get a list of all projects that ever got a C&D?

Kornman00
July 13th, 2008, 04:43 AM
The only ones that I know of was that Halo RTS game and I think some Halo DS game.

Heathen
July 13th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Halo RTS? And wasnt Halo DS a bungie project?

_TheArbiter_
July 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
hey btw korn.... will this require hardcore C++ ? , or just some simple C++ things to set the new tags up?

Bastinka
July 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
hey btw korn.... will this require hardcore C++ ? , or just some simple C++ things to set the new tags up?
What the hell are you talking about...

Also, have fun with it km00. Would <3 you if this was really released. Also whats a C&D?

Kornman00
July 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM
to define the new tags for the editors, you use xml files containing the field definitions which a special tool parses and creates a file which the custom HEK tools can use.

to actually make use of the custom tags, you have to use Open Sauce's HaloCE module, which is in C++. The custom tags do nothing when running in a non-Sauced HaloCE as nothing is looking or accessing those tags.

C&D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist)

HDoan
July 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Will we be able to have movable fp arms? So we can has feet?

Patrickssj6
July 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM
but we're not we can't even modifying the actual game's exe.
ftfy without insulting your skills :hist101:

EDIT: then theres always the edited version of the HEK I made that almost everyone uses...
Yeah, I always wondered why no one noticed it :D

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I havent read through the thread, but could the release date be 7/8/2009?

Roostervier
July 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
No, it won't be released later than November 15th (I think) this year. If not the 15th, then sometime in November.

Ganon
July 17th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Halo RTS? And wasnt Halo DS a bungie project?

Halogen a cnc generals mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12AmXp_bc-k

Cancled due to the production of the to be shitty game Halowars.

Kornman00
July 17th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I havent read through the thread, but could the release date be 7/8/2009?
It's a date between now and Nov 15th of this year

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Okay, thanks :)
So with open sauce, we would be able to create weapons with more than 2 triggers, and more, such as *incredibly limited* ragdoll, and possible recoreded animations for campaign maps?

Kornman00
July 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Depends on how good of a reverse engineer you are. I have no code in place to do that, you'd have to figure out how to code that yourself. Open Sauce is a framework for doing such things.

Recorded animations are already possible for campaign maps

Ki11a_FTW
July 17th, 2008, 02:44 PM
EPIC

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM
But what about making your own recorded animations?

Also, Does this pretty much have none, or very little limits?
Does it work on vista, and if so, Could Dx10 capability be possible, or atleast Pixel Shader 3?

Apoc4lypse
July 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Depends on how good of a reverse engineer you are. I have no code in place to do that, you'd have to figure out how to code that yourself. Open Sauce is a framework for doing such things.

ohhh, I get it... still sounds cool either way, I just need to start trying to learn to code, and hope I don't suck at it, I only took a highschool class on VB.net, they didn't offer anything else... except java, which I didn't bother with... after I took VB.net I decided to take all the art courses at my highschool instead (turned out I'm pretty decent at art, according to my teacher anyway...), because I'm not too great with math... I mean I can usually figure stuff out if I have all the info I need, but I'm just really slow at coding... its hard for me to concentrate on...

I'm definitely looking forward to this though... :)

E: I do have a knack for reverse engineering in general, as for reverse engineering code, I guess I'll find out when I give it a shot...

Halogen a cnc generals mod....
Cancled due to the production of the to be shitty game Halowars.

I lol'd. halowars doesn't look all that bad though, I just wish halogen would keep working maybe after halowars, they had some better takes on designing bases, the Halowars UNSC bases are sort of a disappointment tbh... halogen had them better... idk I'm still looking forward to it... I wonder what they ended up doing with all the halogen models and workd they did, I hope they kept it just incase XD some really nice looking stuff they made.

AAA
July 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM
so...lemme get this straight...

With Open Source of Halo 1. We could actually put in things like rag doll effects, in-game microphones, matchmaking, a successful version of dual wielding weapons with/without that ther complications of script, new and improved custom recorded animations, and even create completely new tags that were never possible to make before?

Anymore possibilities, people?

:awesome:

Oh, and will this also work for Halo PC? or just CE?

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 18th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Ide assume so for the majority of above, except Mic's Ragdoll and possibly Matchmaking.
Isnt this basically turning HCE into a game that has an SDK kinda like Hl2?

Heathen
July 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Ya, the Mics, Matchmaking, and Ragdolls are farfetched. Ragdoll maybe, but the other two, definitely not.

Kornman00
July 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, its pretty much like the SDK for HL2.

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Win.

Chewy Gumball
July 18th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Will I be able to theoretically create my own shaders? From what I have read the answer is yes, at least for the tag part, but will I have to do any coding to get them to work properly?

Ifafudafi
July 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM
What I'm most interested here is if we can get working bump maps onto objects and actors. I'll admit that I don't know shit about coding, but theoretically the code's already in there for environment shaders, so from what I can tell, you could get it into the game itself.

Or am I just horribly misunderstanding the point here?

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM
I believe So.

Choking Victim
July 24th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Are we able to edit existing tagclasses? For Example, if I wanted to add a flag to the vehicle tag to define a boarding seat?

Higuy
July 24th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I should hire my uncle to write some stuff in c++ for me when this comes out..He's hardcore..

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
that would ne nice

Kornman00
August 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM
So, in all honesty, the first iteration of Open Sauce was suppose to be released today. Figure it out yet? 8/8/8. My service tag is S88, my gamer tag uses the Omega 88 avatar. Sever ate Nein (ok, so that one wasn't so outstanding), was born in 88, etc.

But due to a new release of HaloCE's client AND server, I have to once again validate all of the code is up to date with these new executables, which will take some time. I'm not going to lie though, I've had a pretty shitty week so I didn't work on OS as much as I should have in preparing it for release. Iz sryz :saddowns:

Rest assured though, the NLT date still stands, and no, I don't know when I'll end up releasing the first iteration now, at least not an exact date.

And for your complaints about Battery: Its not *just* a simple version check change. I would again, have to update the code to be compatible with the new executables for both CE and PC. I don't support PC, that was bitter's decision. Doing so would take time away from OS development, which is not acceptable. Don't fret though, there will be a...oh lets call them engine modules released using the Open Sauce CE library which will have the Battery features you all love...and then some. However, like I said, its for CE, not PC.

Since I couldn't give you guys what I intended though, I'll see about at least giving you some more details on the project and\or examples this weekend, but for now, its time to get ready to hit some clubs up.

dg
August 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM
It's okay. I still love you.

ShadowSpartan
August 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I'm looking forward to this release, and it sucks that it has been pushed back. Is there a possibility though that you would go ahead and release the first iteration of it anyway so that we can begin to work with it and learn how it all works? Once you update the code and release it for the new update, people will already know how to use it and be able to just port over their "engine modules".

Kornman00
August 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM
The current code base is only compatible with the first version of CE and .612 (or whichever came before this latest), so you really wouldn't be able to begin to work with it unless you used the old builds.

ShadowSpartan
August 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
The current code base is only compatible with the first version of CE and .612 (or whichever came before this latest), so you really wouldn't be able to begin to work with it unless you used the old builds.
What would be so bad about using the old builds if it would allow us to start learning how to use Open Sauce?

Hazard1337
August 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
That sucks, is the build .612 version 1.6? If it is I have it and will be happy to upload if anyone wants it.

StankBacon
August 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
i love you kornman :D

Pooky
August 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I'm not going to lie though, I've had a pretty shitty week so I didn't work on OS as much as I should have in preparing it for release. Iz sryz :saddowns:

Let me inspire you with some rep

Reaper Man
August 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I'm not going to lie though, I've had a pretty shitty week so I didn't work on OS as much as I should have in preparing it for release. Iz sryz :saddowns:
Give the guy some pr0n guyz.

Disaster
August 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
:conspiracy: Bungie released this to foil your Open Sauce :conspiracy:
Anyways, Keep pushing to finish :awesome:

Zeph
August 10th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I've known that for quite some time. We just need a means of recording them in a reasonable manner (read: not writing them character by character in notepad.exe).

Whatever happened to that solution we talked about earlier?

Kornman00
August 10th, 2008, 04:45 AM
recorded animations are a thing of the past zeph, jeez. bungie don't do dem anymore

i really don't know what solution you're referring to

Choking Victim
August 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Wouldn't sapien and guerilla be using the "engine modules" just as the haloce.exe would? So theoretically, would you be able to modify components of sapien with open sauce? Such as adding player input functions to sapien in order to move about and record your actions.

PS: I'm only assuming sapien and guerilla will use the engine modules because yelo was a .dll file and so was the bloom hack (which worked in sapien).

Patrickssj6
August 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
That's because Sapien uses the same DirectX engine.

I'm not sure about Sapien using the same engine in H1 but I can tell you that in H2V the engine is very similar between Sapien and H2V...some memory addresses are exactly the same for instances.

Kornman00
August 10th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Open Sauce CE isn't setup for extending the HEK, so no. There is a utility included with the Open Sauce SDK for extending the HEK, however it is closed source and only allows extensions by the end user via adding new tags.

Choking Victim
August 10th, 2008, 09:29 AM
ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up, still looking forward to it. ;)

FRain
August 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I mean I would love to do recorded animations because then you dont have to make a 400 frame running or walking animation, then nudge it because it goes through a wall, but now you need to remake it because if you do nudge it goes through a different wall, etc, and if you could do recorded animations it would be much easier because then you could dodge any obstacles in the way.

Limited
August 10th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Bad luck with the new 1.08 =\ was looking forward to OS.

I just hope it gets released before Prom. If it happens this year, then it will definitely be before Prom.

Choking Victim
August 10th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Bad luck with the new 1.08 =\ was looking forward to OS.

I just hope it gets released before Prom. If it happens this year, then it will definitely be before Prom.
Open Sauce > CE/PC update 1.08 :(

Kornman00
August 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Little information update for OS CE:

What you can do:
Add new scripting functions\globals
Record the chat box (clients)
Theoretically create new game engines (ie, ctf). I've made significant advances in making this possible, but there is still amounts of work needed to be done, especially on the UI side
Have your Sauced servers\games come up in their own server listing, apart from the general server list (so you can hide or better filter your games from the public)
Multi-team vehicles
Have access to the networking extension code that I was developing. In theory, it should be working, but I have something fucked up somewhere...because it doesn't. Who knows, maybe I'll figure it out before release?
Interface with objects in the current game state (ie, location, a unit's weapons, shield power, etc)
Create your own key bindings for executing custom code (ie, hold shift+g to turn the AI off)
Create menu interfaces a la Battery.
Edit the tags that are in memory
Edit loads of other game state related data
Add your own game event logging (already have some events that are logged while in game)
Modify the camera to your hearts desire
Almost everything from BatteryWhat you can't do:
Create new object types.
Can't replace the physics engine
Can't replace the rendering engine
Can't add a perfect Forge mode to the engine. You can replicate some of it's features, but in most cases the engine isn't outfit to do itBoth lists can be much longer but I just wanted to give an overview of a few things you can look forward to and to answer any questions people may have.

Also note that in order to do some of the things you may want to do, you may have to further reverse engineer the game in order to find out what code in the engine you have to modify or call in order for it to work. I'm not including some documentation or code due to possible malicious use by script kiddies.

As it stands, the CE portion of OS contains over 12,000 LOC and 65 code files

Choking Victim
August 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
You can't replace the rendering engine, but what about modifying it? IE: normal maps on models.

Kornman00
August 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
idk, have you found the code you need to modify in order to do such a thing?

Choking Victim
August 13th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Haven't looked for it yet tbh, was waiting for a release.

Heathen
August 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Ok, so what can normal maps do? Like....what would make me :D if I knew what it was?

SMASH
August 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Normal Maps, simply put are bump maps on steroids. They can display the "bump" without dynamic light and appear to add polies to a model unlike bumps which just basically displayed shadow information taken from a dynamic light.

Ifafudafi
August 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
As an example, here's a boot. The left is the base model, and the right is the model with a normal map applied.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3666/boot7jc.jpg

Heathen
August 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Oh....badass.

Timo
August 13th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Little information update for OS CE:

What you can do:
Edit the tags that are in memory

Does this mean I can live-edit a UI? :o

Kornman00
August 14th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Does this mean I can live-edit a UI? :o
through code, yes. there won't be a tag editor interface if thats what you're thinking. note that some fields in some tag groups are postprocessed and placed in uneditable (as far as the HEK is concerned) portions of the tag data, so you'd have to edit those instead in their cases.

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 14th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Doesnt mean someone wont make a mini app to do it yourself :p
Also, a few questions.

Theoretically create new game engines (ie, ctf). I've made significant advances in making this possible, but there is still amounts of work needed to be done, especially on the UI side
Could we say, Make a proper juggernaut gametype?

Have access to the networking extension code that I was developing. In theory, it should be working, but I have something fucked up somewhere...because it doesn't. Who knows, maybe I'll figure it out before release?

Proper netcode? No longer needing to lead?

Add new scripting functions\globals
Properly Syncing AI or machines?

Kornman00
August 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Like I said, there are still amounts of work needed to be done, but assuming they were done, yes.

"Proper"? The netcode they used is fine, maybe you forget that they had to develop the game with "proper" 56K support. And the extensions are to the game's existing networking code, not total new networking code.

I don't know how you thought that up from that bullet, but in order for that to happen you have to have something to somehow sync that information...it doesn't just *poof* happen. If the networking extensions ever get completed then you can easily add support for syncing machine state changes, but as far as AI goes...you're better off buying a 360 and Halo 3.

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 15th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I have both, im just interested in development of this :)

Heathen
August 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Furrill.

il Duce Primo
August 19th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I was wondering, is it possible to have blend maps?

CtrlAltDestroy
August 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Halo already uses a (detail) blend map, if you're talking about environmental shaders...

il Duce Primo
August 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
No, I mean with 3 detail maps.

Snowy
August 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if this Open Sauce thing can make halo fun again?

Thanks,
-Snowy

Higuy
August 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
What are you getitng at :raise:

Bastinka
August 23rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Nein mama! Das gehts nicht.

Kornamns motto should be: 'Geht Doch!'

Choking Victim
August 24th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Sorry to be "that guy" but is there any news on this project, it's been two weeks since the original release date. I kinda wish there never was a CE update so I could have a taste of sauce. :(

Kornman00
August 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I finished updating the client side of things earlier this week, all I need to do next is the server based updates to the code, but I'll be out of town this up coming weekend so I won't be able to touch the code (or rather, I won't be bringing my computer so even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to ;p).

Choking Victim
August 24th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Ahh, awesome. Thanks for the update, I appreciate it. :)

Shock120
August 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
...I don't know how you thought that up from that bullet, but in order for that to happen you have to have something to somehow sync that information...it doesn't just *poof* happen. If the networking extensions ever get completed then you can easily add support for syncing machine state changes, but as far as AI goes...you're better off buying a 360 and Halo 3. Could you make AI sync in Halo 2?
As far as I'm aware, the AI does sync, but the animations,voices and (most) scripts do not sync. so is there anything you can fix?
Also could you add a feature to switch the respawn system?
I want to change the MP respawn system to the SP co-op respawn system.
These would be great for making H2V online co-op maps.

Hotrod
August 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM
This is for Halo CE, not Halo 2 by the way. Judging from your post, I guess you didn't know that.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

Shock120
August 24th, 2008, 10:40 AM
This is for Halo CE, not Halo 2 by the way. Judging from your post, I guess you didn't know that.

Welcome to the forums by the way.
I was aware, I was just asking.

The In-Your-Pants excitement doesn't stop there though. While the first release of Open Sauce will contain joyful collections of HaloCE resources, one of the other goodies we also have in store is for Halo 2 (Xbox), which is scheduled for inclusion in at least the second major release of Open Sauce. I don't want to spoil the entire surprise of what you can look forward to in the coming months, so I'll leave some of the more juicy details for the first release post.

Evil_Monkey
August 24th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Kornamn00
Blah blah Halo 2 (Xbox) blah blah

^^

Kornman00
August 24th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Could you make AI sync in Halo 2?
As far as I'm aware, the AI does sync, but the animations,voices and (most) scripts do not sync. so is there anything you can fix?
Also could you add a feature to switch the respawn system?
I want to change the MP respawn system to the SP co-op respawn system.
These would be great for making H2V online co-op maps.
The entire AI system doesn't sync nor do I have the time to accomplish something to make the game allow for it. Time would be better spent on researching Halo 3 which already has everything in place

I'm not really following you on switching the respawn systems. Each game engine system (ie, CTF) has its own code judging how the player will respawn, so you'd have to override respawn code on a per-engine basis. Not hard to do if you know how to reverse engineer and code.

There is nothing targeting H2V in Open Sauce.

This also isn't for requesting new "features". Whats included in the Open Sauce codebase has already been decided. Nothing further will be added to the first release unless its related to code fixes.

Heathen
August 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I say you eat the next person that asks a question.

Hotrod
August 24th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Ok Heathen, you're stealing my thing of eating people, I'm the one that always says things about eating people :saddowns:

And I guess I must have skipped over the part where you mentioned Halo 2 support.
So, can we feed Heathen to himself for stealing my thing?

Heathen
August 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Sry Hotrod....never noticed.

Hotrod
August 25th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Actually, I don't use the eating thing on forums, only in real life, which is why you've never noticed.

I give you permission to share my disgusting habit of wanting everybody to get eaten by other people.
It's just that it was a strange coincidence that you use the same things I do in real life

Disaster
August 25th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Actually, I don't use the eating thing on forums, only in real life, which is why you've never noticed.

I give you permission to share my disgusting habit of wanting everybody to get eaten by other people.
It's just that it was a strange coincidence that you use the same things I do in real life
Can I be a cannibal too?
Also screw teh 1.08 i want some sauce nao

il Duce Primo
September 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I just read through the entire topic again. In the beginning it sounded like you could take some parts of tags and place those in other tags. The main reason I was asking this was because if this was possible, I would like to modify the detail_object_collection tag to instead have a bounding radius, model, and an animation graph input. The reason I would like this is so you could have animated 3D grass... etc... like Halo 3 and won't have to spend hours placing them as a scenery objects.

Kornman00
September 6th, 2008, 02:51 PM
And how do you expect to make the engine use those fields...?

Malloy
September 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM
would that sort of brush tool thing be be able to be made within a custom homemade scenario populator?

example - Prometheus

Kornman00
September 7th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Brush tool...thing :confused:?

Evil_Monkey
September 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I think he means the brush tool when you are detail objects like the grass in some of the campaign levels.

Kornman00
September 7th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Asking the wrong person, I'm not aware of the competency of other developers.

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 8th, 2008, 07:10 AM
So Assuming one who may work on this is the greatest programmer ever, In theory you could do near everything?

Kornman00
September 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
correct, but if one is the greatest programmer ever, they will always require some type of reverse engineering skills and probably wouldn't need the OS framework to aid their efforts in the first place :P

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM
which is why I wont be able to make anything for it :(
unless...... I stop being lazy

Choking Victim
September 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Any news on whats been going on?

exactly 1 month ago I asked the same question. :embarrassed:

Kornman00
September 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I was planning with xbox7887 to release the source to a tool we've used with development for our Xbox stuff as a teaser and such, but some shit came up and I have to fly back to the states tomorrow. He may have to release it himself this weekend though if I can get him the release build.

Things are really, really busy IRL right now. Stuff way out of my control. So no news on the meat of what this thread started about, however the NLT date STILL stands; I will not dodge that date. Unless I die, that would be out of my control too. Unless I come back as a super computer, will have to talk to budda about hooking me up with that one.

Sorry guys :(

ShadowSpartan
September 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Unless I come back as a super computer, will have to talk to budda about hooking me up with that one.
Wait...what? I thought you were a super computer already. :p

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to open sauce's release.I know it will be awesome once its done. I'm anxious to see what this development tool can do.

Kornman00
September 24th, 2008, 02:36 PM
This is not good, my drive where I store my documents is acting fucked up. Vista won't recognize it, but the Mac side will. However it thinks I'm unplugging it (so its loosing power somehow) every now and then :S?!

I'm doing my best to back up my Kornner folder first, there is too much to loose in it and none of the shit on my backup drive has synced with it since last May. What the fuck is it with this week? its been one shitty event after another :|

UGGGGGH

Dwood
September 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM
This is not good, my drive where I store my documents is acting fucked up. Vista won't recognize it, but the Mac side will. However it thinks I'm unplugging it (so its loosing power somehow) every now and then :S?!

I'm doing my best to back up my Kornner folder first, there is too much to loose in it and none of the *** on my backup drive has synced with it since last May. What the *** is it with this week? its been one shitty event after another :|

UGGGGGH

Start praying man. I don't want you to lose those files either.

Pooky
September 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM

I'm doing my best to back up my Kornner folder first, there is too much to loose in it and none of the shit on my backup drive has synced with it since last May. What the fuck is it with this week? its been one shitty event after another :|

UGGGGGH

It's the forces of chaos trying to stop this awesomeness from being born, do not falter D:

Choking Victim
September 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
<:(> good luck, hopefully it'll be alright.

Heathen
September 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Just save as much as you can.

Start praying man.

Or that. That will DEFINITELY work. :rolleyes:

Kornman00
September 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
OK, I was able to make a quick backup of the main shit that I needed to continue without redoing over five years of work again. The drive is acting OK right now, I'm making a few more backups then taking it off line until I get back to the states and get a replacement.

Dwood
September 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM
OK, I was able to make a quick backup of the main *** that I needed to continue without redoing over five years of work again. The drive is acting OK right now, I'm making a few more backups then taking it off line until I get back to the states and get a replacement.

A few? If I had come that close to losing 5 years of work i would have like 10 cd copies, 8 HD copies, and at least 4 copies on DVDs, imo.

Kalub
September 25th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Korn whats your womanz look like?

Patrickssj6
September 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM
You should consider working in RAID :P

Kornman00
September 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM
The HDD I required to store my stuff was meant to be used as a portable, USB powered drive, and I don't think there are any portable RAIDs.

Dwood
October 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Any updates to share?

Siliconmaster
October 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Wow. Somehow I managed to miss this thread completely, monumental as it is. Sounds awesome. Hope you got all your files saved, Korn.

Choking Victim
October 24th, 2008, 06:21 AM
It's that time of the month korny korn. Cue the menstruation jokes. Anyway, whats been happenin?

Kornman00
October 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM
It got to the point where I just said "fuck it" and just decided to go with Nov 15th finally (yes, I know I should have updated you guys with that http://kornnersoftware.com/trillian/mono.gif). For a while I didn't have any real time to work on it after work and all. Hell, I didn't finish updating the dedicated server's side of the code until a couple days ago (however the client has been done for a while now). Not sure if I'll be able to get a good test done on the server code before release though; my main concern is client as if everything works OK in that, theoretically so should the server code as its mostly the same codebase.

In order to keep the projects I have alive and fresh, I work on them all little by little. For a few days I may have myself deep in Halo3's code and with my own, then after I could be back in some kind of Halo 1 related crap or in one of the very few non-blam related projects I have open, but of course the main focus these past few months have been Open Sauce due to public deadlines...lawl.

also, ped0_bear keeps me motivated with what he has in store on the release day...

Choking Victim
October 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
ah, nice. I had a feeling you had just decided to release on the deadline. Anyway, thanks for the update and dedication to the project. Still lookin' forward to it. ;)

ultama121
October 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
also, ped0_bear keeps me motivated with what he has in store on the release day...
Hmm... :raise:

Dwood
October 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I like to hear the sound of that.

kornman... theoretically could your app allow for the identifying of players and what team they are on?

Kornman00
October 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM
of course, there is code already in place for that

dg
October 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
kornman... theoretically could your app allow for the identifying of shitty players and why they are still playing?

But fo' realz, release date is close and I'll love to see what happens!

Dwood
October 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM
of course, there is code already in place for that

In your app? I don't know how it looks (never seen this kind of thing before in Halo) so I wouldn't have known.

I wanted to figure out if I could build a map to utilize it before you release but then i realized it was an external app.

(Because in my map I was working on [script wise] an issue arose with syncing the players after you've done your labeling etc. through Halo Script when players join and leave messing up the player directory)

Kornman00
October 25th, 2008, 08:58 PM
kornman... theoretically could your app allow for the identifying of shitty players and why they are still playing?

But fo' realz, release date is close and I'll love to see what happens!
well, theoretically...yes ;o

In your app? I don't know how it looks (never seen this kind of thing before in Halo) so I wouldn't have known.

I wanted to figure out if I could build a map to utilize it before you release but then i realized it was an external app.

(Because in my map I was working on [script wise] an issue arose with syncing the players after you've done your labeling etc. through Halo Script when players join and leave messing up the player directory)
Well, it's mostly C++ code. There is a system that allows you to add new script functions\globals tho

Dwood
October 25th, 2008, 09:12 PM
well, theoretically...yes ;o

Well, it's mostly C++ code. There is a system that allows you to add new script functions\globals tho

:P

Like add new halo script commands through C++? That's pretty neat. Now for someone to work on syncing ai..

Choking Victim
October 25th, 2008, 09:28 PM
hey korn, did you ever straighten the netcode issues you said you were having awhile back?

Kornman00
October 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I haven't tested out the changes I recently made, but in the last test it still wasn't working. "Extending" the existing netcode is no insert-code-here hack and slash easy job, oiy. But it is far easier and more secure of a process than implementing another network layer of code. That would just be double the work and a reinvention of the wheel. Me, I just like adding chains to wheel to make it run in the snow :eng101:

p0lar_bear
October 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Hmm... :raise:

Don't read too much into it. It's a funny little something that I made and showed kornman and it got him working again, kinda like how Bathroom Security's CMT trailer got me motivated to wrap up the HUD tagging for SPV1.

Heathen
October 26th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Might reinstall halo if anything epic comes from this. Keep me posted fellas.

ultama121
October 27th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Don't read too much into it. It's a funny little something that I made and showed kornman and it got him working again, kinda like how Bathroom Security's CMT trailer got me motivated to wrap up the HUD tagging for SPV1.
Awww... :(

bobbysoon
October 27th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Could we see some example code? Is it like HMT's xml plugins, with the structs and offsets?

Kornman00
October 27th, 2008, 02:36 AM
XML is in no way related to C++ (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=C%2B%2B&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=)...

Dwood
October 27th, 2008, 03:14 AM
XML is in no way related to C++ (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=C%2B%2B&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=)...

On that note, sparked by his question I would like to know how you plan to make it so we can use/make new commands/allow for new tags like you claim this can do.

Kornman00
October 27th, 2008, 05:39 AM
In the first release, you will only be able to utilize new script functions\globals in-game, there won't be any tools that allow you to compile scripts which call your custom functions\globals. As for utilizing new tags, its the same process done by the engine, get the tag index of your custom tag, get the assoticated address and the use the values in that tag definition to do whatever your wanting to do.

Bodzilla
October 27th, 2008, 05:52 AM
bullshit!

it's Delta isnt it!

:p

Staying tuned

Choking Victim
October 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM
In the first release, you will only be able to utilize new script functions\globals in-game, there won't be any tools that allow you to compile scripts which call your custom functions\globals.
Will we ever have access to tools to compile scripts to call on our functions/globals? After first release? What will the first release have the ability to do?

Kornman00
October 27th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I don't see it being a problem in the toolset having that ability further down the line. I mean, I could crunch it into the first release, but I'm not. The feature deadline was hit a while back to save me from finding myself not being able to make the public deadline.

There exists a problem with having custom functions\globals, and thats versioning. See, the current scripting system only replaces unused elements in the functions\globals, instead of say actually adding more to the list of functions\globals (it's possible to do such a thing, but the time and effort to deal with all the code references doesn't make it worth it).

So, I have to develop a system where one person's map thats scripted to be used for one yelo isn't ran with another. Sure, there exist ways to deal with this via the project_yellow tag, or just limiting them to campaign only maps. Another problem arises when someone tries to run a yelo scripted map in a regular build of Halo. I have ideas how to address this too, but I really want more time to address this to get solid solutions which won't confuse or bother end-users of Yelo who just want to play with the game enhancements.

Which then leaves me with trying to make sure I figure out how future conflicting yelo builds from multiple people are handled. If none of this is done properly, you can get yet another big split in the community like when CE first came out and PC players barely came over.

ShadowSpartan
October 28th, 2008, 01:23 PM
See, the current scripting system only replaces unused elements in the functions\globals, instead of say actually adding more to the list of functions\globals (it's possible to do such a thing, but the time and effort to deal with all the code references doesn't make it worth it).
As a result of just replacing unused elements in order to add new functions/globals, wouldn't that limit us on how many new functions/globals we can create? If so, what is the limit on the amount we can create?

Kornman00
October 28th, 2008, 11:09 PM
40 functions and 295 globals

Bad Waffle
November 3rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
how many of those are used already?

Kornman00
November 4th, 2008, 12:10 AM
In the public release there are only one or two functions\globals in use by OS, but they're not vital and you can remove them from use yourself.

Choking Victim
November 4th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Can you announce any of the features os actually comes with? All I know is multiteam vehicles so far.

Kornman00
November 4th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I think I'll leave the feature set list for the day of release. Don't want to shoot myself in the foot you know, I hear it hurts :saddowns:

Choking Victim
November 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Its not that bad :(

bobbysoon
November 8th, 2008, 12:22 AM
There's this one bug in Guerilla that perhaps this thing you're making could correct, like a patch. At 0x004D7144 is the string " -zx -yz xx+yy", a token for parsing an imported physics .txt. It doesn't expect to find "-zx -yz xx+yy" instead, and throws a fit. Shifting 21 bytes back one byte from 0x004D7145 fixes it. Yay! Then maxscript (or even notepad) can make working with physics easier!

http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/b/bobbysoon/86476/elwpvhcmrf.jpg
Could it do things like that?

Kornman00
November 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I'll be sure to add that fix, thanks bobby

bobbysoon
November 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
cool. thanks/np

Pyong Kawaguchi
November 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
+rep to bobby :D

ShadowSpartan
November 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I was just wondering, are you still planning on releasing by Saturday?

Kornman00
November 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM
yep, at 11:15pm Hawaii time :-3

ShadowSpartan
November 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
yep, at 11:15pm Hawaii time :-3
Any reason why it's Hawaii time......and is that Friday or Saturday?

Kornman00
November 14th, 2008, 12:55 AM
It will be Saturday for Hawaii, and Sunday for the rest of the world :-3

Because I like to milk my time and it worked out ;p

Bodzilla
November 14th, 2008, 01:04 AM
DIAF

<3
Looking forward to it, even though i wont understand any of it.

Pyong Kawaguchi
November 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Would you happen to have any videos of examples of things that can be done with this?

Choking Victim
November 15th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Would you happen to have any videos of examples of things that can be done with this?
The release is supposed to be today (Hawaii time apparently). Let him finish it up rather than make videos of it.

Pyong Kawaguchi
November 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Oh, sorry, Didn't notice the date, heh, well, When its done would you mind showing a video of it to us when you've got it ready for release?

ThePlague
November 16th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Almost here! yay

Kornman00
November 16th, 2008, 02:13 AM
The Halo1 Yelo portion will be uploaded first (give me about 10-20mins), I'm dealing with some bugs in the IDE which is used to create the custom tags and such and should follow suite later today.

il Duce Primo
November 16th, 2008, 09:31 AM
So what's going on with this? Still trying to resolve some bugs?

Disaster
November 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
^ I'm anxious to see what this thing can do.

Choking Victim
November 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Look at the first post coolio.

Disaster
November 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Look at the first post coolio.
I knew that. I was just testin you. :embarrassed:

TreHuragok
November 16th, 2008, 10:59 AM
how do you use this? it doesnt tell you.. needs moar readme.

Choking Victim
November 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
You need C++ afaik. But its not compiling for me. Should've released it with a release build already compiled in the bin folder korn. :\

TreHuragok
November 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
You need C++ afaik. But its not compiling for me. Should've released it with a release build already compiled in the bin folder korn. :\
Ok, then I guess all us people who do not have C++ will just have to wait... http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/trehuragok7/smilies/48px-Face-cryingsvg.png

Syuusuke
November 16th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Does it say file cannot be opened or something when you compile it?

Choking Victim
November 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Does it say file cannot be opened or something when you compile it?

Somewhat.

c:\program files\microsoft games\halo custom edition\opensauce\halo1_ce\Common\Types.hpp(27) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'd3dx9math.h': No such file or directory

Shadowspartan got me the d3dx9math.h file online, but it still didn't compile. Not sure what the problem is.

ShadowSpartan
November 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
As soon as I finish reinstalling c++, I'll look into getting it to compile. If I can't, we'll just have to wait for korn to sign on.

Choking Victim
November 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I think we need the Direct X 9 SDK installed, at least that's what the d3dx9math.h its searching for is from.

DEElekgolo
November 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Would we use the most recent SDK?

ShadowSpartan
November 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
1>.\TagGroups\TagGroups.cpp(24) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'TagGroups/project_yellow_definitions.hpp': No such file or directory

I was able to fix all of the DirectX related errors, then I got that error. We are missing a file that is a part of OS, so we will have to wait on korn.

dydo
November 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I was able to fix all of the DirectX related errors, then I got that error. We are missing a file that is a part of OS, so we will have to wait on korn.
i fixed all the DirectX errors also but then i got a different error.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include\winnt.h(7818) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int

Kornman00
November 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM
The new attachment in the post has the missing file that the old one didn't have. You'll need one of the DX9 SDKs to compile.

dydo
November 16th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Getting same error D: Am I suppose to get visual studio 2005?

Kornman00
November 16th, 2008, 01:35 PM
This is only tested for 05, hence the _05 postfix.

Kornman00
November 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM
OK, found a few more runtime bugs in Yelo %-), but I fix I fix!

Also, keep in mind, Open Sauce is for DEVELOPERS. I wasnt working on OS to satisfy everyones whining about Battery not working with the new update hth :downs:

also, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS

Timo
November 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I guess i'll wait for someone else to do something then :p

Siliconmaster
November 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Good to know that things are being fixed. I do love the irony though- right now there are 13 people viewing the thread, the majority of which are unable to actually use OS, including myself, but which are so enthusiastic about its potential. It's like awaiting a new version of Microsoft office, but not writing anything in it yet. :P

bobbysoon
November 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
datum_index GetParentObject(datum_index obj)
{
object_header_datum* object_header_datums = Objects::ObjectHeader()->datums;
object_data* current_obj = (object_data*)object_header_datums[obj.index].address;

while( current_obj->GetParentObjectIndex()->index != NONE )
{
obj = *current_obj->GetParentObjectIndex();
current_obj = (object_data*)object_header_datums[obj.index].address;
}

return obj;
}
Wouldn't it be a GetRootObject function, since it's while loops up the hierarchy?

looks like coding is the easy part

bool ToggleMultiTeamVehicles()
{
FUNC_PTR(UNIT_CAN_ENTER_SEAT_MOD, 0x56A261, 0x56A3B1, 0x518D41);

// mov bl, 1
// jmp
static byte enable_code[] = {0xB3, 0x01, 0xEB};
// test al, al
// jz
static byte disable_code[] = {0x84, 0xC0, 0x74};

static bool enabled = false;

Memory::WriteMemory(GET_FUNC_VPTR(UNIT_CAN_ENTER_S EAT_MOD), (enabled ? disable_code : enable_code), sizeof(enable_code));
return enabled = !enabled;
}
finding the CONSTANTS, on the other hand...

Pyong Kawaguchi
November 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
OK, found a few more runtime bugs in Yelo %-), but I fix I fix!

Also, keep in mind, Open Sauce is for DEVELOPERS. I wasnt working on OS to satisfy everyones whining about Battery not working with the new update hth :downs:

also, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS

I refer you to my sig :downs:

Kornman00
November 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM
[/code]Wouldn't it be a GetRootObject function, since it's while loops up the hierarchy?

looks like coding is the easy part

finding the CONSTANTS, on the other hand...
you're just arguing semantics tbh. If anything, GetRootParentObject would be a more appropriate name. If I'm a player and I get into a vehicle that vehicle is now my parent, but its not my root object since it's not part of me.

And yes, that is what I was trying to explain to people when they were like "oh is this and this possible??!11??". Anything is possible really...

Updating first post in 5min

Dr Pepper
November 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I have a question. So, can "developers" make stuff with this and share it with other people?

Kornman00
November 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM
As long as they provide a copy of their modified source, then yes they can. The GPLv3 license was applied so people can learn from other's developments. However I will consider individual people for closed-source releases as long as they talk to me first.

Timo
November 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
So just wondering, sorry if i'm horrible off par but when compiled up does this offer anything straight out of the box?

Kornman00
November 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Sure does, OOTB it offers multi-vehicle and gravity changing. If you compile with the Camera component active you'll have an over-the-shoulder view.

Pyong Kawaguchi
November 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Got any videos of examples?

Roostervier
November 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hmm, WoL and I just tried running with the d3d9.dll in our ce root directory, and every time he tried joining my server, I got an exception. Not sure if it's a problem you weren't aware of or not, jut throwing it out there. d:

Timo
November 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I just exceptioned while starting CE, so you guys are further ahead than me :p