PDA

View Full Version : Brute Biped W-I-P.

Phopojijo
February 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM
A little W-I-P for Brute Biped. Its obviously got tonnes of tweaking left but the basics are there.

Feedback is a definite plus.

AVI 13MB (http://www.chimpire.com/gallery/brute_006.avi)
H.264 QT7 3MB (http://www.chimpire.com/gallery/brute_006.mov)
AdobePDF (poorly lit and shaded due to export) (http://www.chimpire.com/gallery/brute_alpha.pdf) (Left click to orbit, right click to zoom, alt-left to pan, left click and circle the mouse to rotate model in the plane of the screen) **Recommend only seeing PDF after viewing playblast**

Its nowhere near completion, but its to show that its headed on the path towards completion.

m13120
February 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Looks good so far. Just keep working on it.

Cortexian
February 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
That looks horrible to me... I mean, I know its modeled off of the H3 brute, but it looks grows.

rossmum
February 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Pics? Don't feel like downloading tbh, though don't worry about it if it's any trouble - don't want to be a pain.

Pandora's Alien
February 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
ya pics plz, that'll be nice.

DaneO'Roo
February 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Just for early notice, the legs won't actually be that apread apart ingame, and has yet to be skinned ;)

You should see a skin on it in the next week or so

Reaper Man
February 20th, 2007, 06:50 AM
That looks horrible to me... I mean, I know its modeled off of the H3 brute, but it looks grows.
"It looks grows"? What? Did you mean gross?

Like I said before, I don't like how you've modelled it. The .pdf is impressive, I wasn't aware that you could do that kind of thing with .pdfs, only quicktime files. The poly distribution on the rump of the brute is ridiculous. The legs look too low-poly to look finished, yet you are already adding intricate details to them. The face is horrible, plus, as Blam! 1 lacks normal mapping on bipeds, the face will look flat in-game.

I think that you'd be better off having the mesh of a Halo 2 brute to refer to, poly distribution-wise, etc, and start again.

To be frank, I don't think you've done a good job with this model, it practically looks like a LOD model with details added onto it.

JonathanMorris117
February 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM
niice

someone
February 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Well, it looks horrible, because its still WIP and it isn't finished yet.:eyesroll:

Phopojijo
February 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
"It looks grows"? What? Did you mean gross?

Like I said before, I don't like how you've modelled it. The .pdf is impressive, I wasn't aware that you could do that kind of thing with .pdfs, only quicktime files. The poly distribution on the rump of the brute is ridiculous. The legs look too low-poly to look finished, yet you are already adding intricate details to them. The face is horrible, plus, as Blam! 1 lacks normal mapping on bipeds, the face will look flat in-game.There'll be a helmet on it.

You'll only see the face in certain conditions which I'm not sure if Masters mentioned yet.

The legs I already said are low poly. Again, I'm waiting until we get a texture and rig on it to see exactly how many polygons are necessary to make it deform correctly.

I also don't like the rear -- I basically manually cut it as if there were two intesecting spheres attached to the solid armor peices. Again -- solid armor doesn't need a lot of geometry.. put it this way:

You want to model a perfect cube. Will 12 triangles look any worse than 200 triangles? Nope, they'll all be redundant data.
Just for early notice, the legs won't actually be that apread apart ingame, and has yet to be skinned ;)

You should see a skin on it in the next week or soWhich will then be given back to me to make more cleanups.

You'll see massive improvements when I see how Dano's texture and Teh Lag's animations will react in various places. I need to see what errors are visible to know what to fix.

Anywho, I'm off to Toronto in less than an hour -- Be back Friday. Any questions or comments asked with be responded to then. Feel free! Regardless of how limited typing can be, I value every piece of advice given.

Reaper Man
February 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'll put it simply. The biped is too low poly. The arms, legs and feet need more subdivisions. The rear simply doesn't. The arms and legs look like hexagons, the rear looks more like it was made from a sphere consisting of, 20 or more subdivisions. You're putting detail on minor features.

Dole
February 20th, 2007, 02:26 PM
He's got thighs like the 87 year old lady across the street, shrunken glutes, a concubine's waste, and chicken bone shoulder blades.
Some barbarian/samurai/alien/rhino-gorilla war machine.

At this point, work on proportion before thinking about detail.

Pooky
February 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I don't think it looks horribly bad so far, but I don't like the design of the Halo 3 Brutes in general. They look like they've got armor from some far right anime.

Edward Elrich
February 20th, 2007, 05:38 PM
As this is a WIP and it's got major tweaking left, it's safe to assume it'll look better. Besides, it's a wireframe rendition. Meaning low-res/low-poly image. And it isn't skinned yet too.

Dole
February 20th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Do you know what 'low-poly' means?

I_Am_Error117
February 20th, 2007, 08:36 PM
He looks like a low poly brute with a chimps head

DaneO'Roo
February 22nd, 2007, 01:36 AM
lol, cuz halo 1 can handle lots of polys xD

Pred1ator
February 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
all i can say is he has huge legs and a misshaped head....

Edward Elrich
February 22nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
All I'm saying is this is an early base model. It may get more detail (and polys, I was really tired when I made that post) before it was finished.

AAA
February 23rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
^ now lets shut up and wate pationetly for an update like good forum kiddies :)

LOL, I agree *sits and waits*.........BRUTES FOR CE

W00t!

TheGhost
March 2nd, 2007, 02:34 PM
Hey, kind of off-topic, but how did you do the PDF thing?

Phopojijo
March 2nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat3d/tryout.html

ImSpartacus
March 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
ohh well we all kno the program to make pdf's.

thats still purdy cool, id almost like to see more modelers and skinners to use that stuff.

decent model, not really amazing, but its still a wip.

Phopojijo
March 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
ohh well we all kno the program to make pdf's.

thats still purdy cool, id almost like to see more modelers and skinners to use that stuff.

decent model, not really amazing, but its still a wip.Geometry isn't what makes a model amazing. The texture is what's going to make people go "Wow", the geometry is just a platform with which to develop an amazing texture upon. Unless something goes horribly wrong... the temp texture Dano's doing for the Brute will show you exactly what the model is capable of.

IMO 80% of the model is pure texture. Geometry's one of the things you'll never notice when its awesome, only when its not awesome.