PDA

View Full Version : Selling Old Laptop / Buying new Macbook Pro

Pope
July 23rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
Alright I've reached a predicament. I feel like I need a Macbook Pro because I'm going into the film industry and Macs are pretty much all they use.

I have an older laptop I'm thinking of selling on Craigslist I guess to help fund this new Macbook Pro.

Specs for old laptop:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5200 @ 1.60GHz 1.60GHz
1 Gig 667Mhz
160 Gig HDD not sure about speed but I think 5200RPM
Nvidia 7600 GS 256MB
9 Cell Battery
Vista Home Premium

Can't really think of any more specs.

What I plan to get:
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 3MB shared L2 cache
15.4-inch (viewable) widescreen LED 1440 x 900 pixels Option: Glossy or antiglare
2GB (two SO-DIMMs)200GB 7200rpm (paying for upgrade)
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
Built-in iSight camera
DVI video out with support for DVI (up to 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display), VGA, S-video, and composite video with adapters; DVI to VGA Adapter included.
10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) (Ethernet)
Two USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 400 port, one FireWire 800 port, one ExpressCard/34 slot

I just need advice on pricing and if I'm have the right idea.

Cortexian
July 23rd, 2008, 02:24 AM
I'm going into the film industry and Macs are pretty much all they use.
Not true according to the industry professionals I've talked to (CG related stuff). It all depends on what company you're going to be working for tbh. The media field really requires you to have knowledge on both systems.

Pope
July 23rd, 2008, 02:26 AM
Not true according to the industry professionals I've talked to (CG related stuff). It all depends on what company you're going to be working for tbh. The media field really requires you to have knowledge on both systems.
Part of the reason for the Macbook and my complete lack of knowledge of it. I'm extremely proficient with Adobe Premier Pro but the program I'm going into is using Final Cut Pro.

flibitijibibo
July 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Go get a Dell XPS M1530 with twice the RAM at half the total price. Unless they use Final Cut, you may as well get a PC with their program on it.

E- Just noticed you said Final Cut. Well, you're boned moneywise.

Atty
July 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Go get a Dell XPS M1530 with twice the RAM at half the total price. Unless they use Final Cut, you may as well get a PC with their program on it.

E- Just noticed you said Final Cut. Well, you're boned moneywise.Your post is highly incorrect. Never pay more for RAM in a laptop, upgrade it yourself for 1/10th the cost.

Honestly, the Macbook will cost him the same from Apple as the XPS will through Dell, save for a few options you'd get better on either side, especially if he uses Apple education discount.

Edward Elrich
July 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
How much were you thinking of selling it for?

SuperSunny
July 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
The benefit of buying a MacBook Pro is that if he needs to run any apps on a Windows system, he can just load Windows up on it. You can't do that to the Dell without turning it into a Hackintosh.

But yeah, I work with film occasionally. Nothing beats the whole Final Cut Suite. That thing is gorgeous. It just gets everything done so fast and well.

Pope
July 23rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
How much were you thinking of selling it for?
That's kinda why I posted this topic. I'm unsure about my laptop's worth. The graphics card in it is pretty nice but the rest is pretty fail.

Thoughts anyone?

Warsaw
July 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Looks like a solid $1k to me at most.

As for the screen question, you should ask yourself whether you will be working more outside, or inside. Personally, I'd go for glossy, because the colors are :awesome:. The problem with glossy is that inside, the light sources may make fugly reflections on your screen. Outside, the sun might glare off at the wrong angle, blinding you from doing anything.

Mr Buckshot
July 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Your old laptop is not bad at all. Its processor is still adequate for many games. Of course it'd hit COD4 and Crysis at low settings but it should have pretty high resale value, at least $1000 here in Canada. I know a few people who'd buy it if you're willing to sell to Canadians.