PDA

View Full Version : my guitar just fizzed out

Bad Waffle
July 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
So, earlier this morning i was working on a song of mine loosely based around some heavy metal bluesy oompa loompas, when i invited over my friend to screw around with it. I plug in my guitar, put the battery in my delay pedal (it doesnt have a hardware bypass so it needs power for the signal) ive fiddled with the battery before and put it in wrong, so i dont think this is the issue that caused it...but then when i picked up my guitar and held it, my amp started hissing some static or something--i thought somehow my cellphone was doing it so i moved it, and nope, it continued. I wiggled the input cable to see if it was the problem--i pushed it all the way in and it slightly got a sound.

Then i tried playing some stuff, and all i got was static and humming, like it was short circuited. If i touch my fingers to the strings/input jack i get no static, as soon as i take them off it gets all fuzzy. Its not my pedals, its not my amp--i just came to my friends house to check with his setup.

I believe i need to replace the output jack on the guitar, but maybe i need to replace other stuff if im wrong. Anybody have any tips?

And no, i don't want sympathy, i feel shitty enough from it breaking. I'll fix it eventually...until then, no rocking for me...

Bastinka
July 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah probably the output jack, if not then it might be da pickups. Dunno too much about electrics, more of an acoustic lover muhself.

Bad Waffle
July 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
i think ill buy these...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Grover-102-3-Per-Side-Guitar-Tuning-Keys-361000-i1129875.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-Switchcraft-1-4--Output-Jack-364736-i1130571.gc

i seriously dont want to put too much money into such an inexpensive guitar, but it falls out of tune all the time. Still saving up for that prs...

Bastinka
July 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
If you don't wanna tune, buy a fine tuned guitar.

Bad Waffle
July 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
silent, that made no sense.

Rob Oplawar
July 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
must... resist... urge... to... gloat...

I'm sorry for your loss. If I ever do decide to learn to play, I guess it won't be a good idea to get an el cheapo guitar like I'd planned.

Bad Waffle
July 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
no rob, get a very cheap guitar to start out with. You want something to learn on that you wont be afraid to use. When you get a cheap guitar and use that, it makes your skill fly when you get a good one

Bodzilla
July 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
^

ditto.

i'm still on my ashton starter guitar :(
but now i'm looking at a 7 string ibanez prestiege :D

Corndogman
July 23rd, 2008, 11:46 PM
I started out on a fender strat starter pack which is broken now. I think it actually had the same problem as yours rob, it did the same thing and i probably fucked it up even more trying to fix it. I ended up buying a guitar from a brand called "Stellar" which was kinda stupid. it looks awesome, but kinda sounds like shit, and the action is way too high.

I've grown to like acoustic more now anyways, like silentwind. Although all i have is a crappy Carlo Robelli acoustic.

Xetsuei
July 24th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Check all the circuitry/soldering first before you do anything. Wire could be broken or not enough solder on the output jack or one of the pots.

itszutak
July 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Wow. That sucks. If I had a guitar and it broke like that, I'd try to open it or fix the connection before I went and bought another one.

Then again I have an oboe and if it breaks to the point of replacement I'm fucked

k4is3rxkh40s
July 24th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Same exact thing happened with an older amp of mine. I took it apart and the input was screwed up. Before buying a new guitar I'd suggest trying a different amp first, because that may be your problem

Bodzilla
July 24th, 2008, 02:16 AM
just ask someone you know thats good with electrics to take a look at it.
a fella i know who's good lives next door, so i give him a beer or 2, some praises and it's good as new :D

Bad Waffle
July 24th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Wow. That sucks. If I had a guitar and it broke like that, I'd try to open it or fix the connection before I went and bought another one.

Then again I have an oboe and if it breaks to the point of replacement I'm fucked

I didnt say i was buying another one? I opened her up and looked at all the wires, it was all good. Although, it does have some weird issues that might be some other things caused by wiring. But, the only thing thats been tampered with is obviously the output jack, so thats the only thing that can be the problem.

Xetsueiâ„¢;280366']Check all the circuitry/soldering first before you do anything. Wire could be broken or not enough solder on the output jack or one of the pots.

above.

Same exact thing happened with an older amp of mine. I took it apart and the input was screwed up. Before buying a new guitar I'd suggest trying a different amp first, because that may be your problem

I already said i wasn't buying a new guitar, and i already said i checked the amp.

just ask someone you know thats good with electrics to take a look at it.
a fella i know who's good lives next door, so i give him a beer or 2, some praises and it's good as new :D

I'm pretty damn good with electrics, my dad is a handyman/aerospace engineer, so if i cant figure it out, he sure can. Yay for free help from family!

This may also be a good time to talk about my dream setup instead of the crap i have now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-SE-Singlecut-Trem-Electric-Guitar-515828-i1395985.gc

I need a guitar with a trem. I dont care if tuning's a bitch.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-RG100-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-104622717-i1385074.gc

perfect sized amp for me.

these pedals...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-DBM-Bad-Monkey-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-102670239-i1124375.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-RC-2-Loop-Station-Effect-Pedal-103999546-i1169245.gc

Thats about 1100 of equipment, ill probably not be getting anything till i can find a car.

Bodzilla
July 24th, 2008, 05:46 AM
1100 is your dream set up?

fucking hell i hate america sometimes :(
the guitar i'm getting costs $1800 on it's own thanks to fucking importing scalping faggots

Heathen
July 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Now THAT sucks.

Bastinka
July 24th, 2008, 08:05 AM
silent, that made no sense.
Sorry speaking german all the time is getting to my english, buy a guitar that has fine tuning on it. I don't remember if you can attach a fine tuning set onto a guitar but I think you can. Keeps it perfectly in tune for a really long time, no matter if you use that stick I always forget the name of that lowers the tuning when you push it down.

Don't know if Fine Tuning is the actual name of it but thats what everyone calls it.

EDIT:
Dis.
http://img702.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2008/03/10/fr1-49sihh0p9.jpeg

Rob Oplawar
July 24th, 2008, 08:37 AM
no rob, get a very cheap guitar to start out with. You want something to learn on that you wont be afraid to use. When you get a cheap guitar and use that, it makes your skill fly when you get a good one
Oh, okay. Thx. Stick to the plan!

Also, I was gonna say something about how you actually did say you were gonna buy a new guitar, since you posted "I think I'll buy one of these", but then I followed the link and discovered that they were not actually guitars. :mysterysolved:

Bad Waffle
July 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry speaking german all the time is getting to my english, buy a guitar that has fine tuning on it. I don't remember if you can attach a fine tuning set onto a guitar but I think you can. Keeps it perfectly in tune for a really long time, no matter if you use that stick I always forget the name of that lowers the tuning when you push it down.

Don't know if Fine Tuning is the actual name of it but thats what everyone calls it.

EDIT:
Dis.
http://img702.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2008/03/10/fr1-49sihh0p9.jpeg

thats a floyd rose locking tremolo. My friend has one on his schecter C1 it NEVER goes out of tune.

1100 is your dream set up?

fucking hell i hate america sometimes :(
the guitar i'm getting costs $1800 on it's own thanks to fucking importing scalping faggots

Well its really not my DREAM setup, but stuff i realistically want. What shit do you want?

Bastinka
July 24th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I'unno the exact name all I know it's considered a Fine Tuner. Heh.