PDA

View Full Version : Some Pointers

Metkil5685
February 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Well, I finally got the incentive to start making a map of some sort. I'm gonna start the tutorial map later today when I get back from work, then I'm gonna try to make an original map. But, back to the title. I was wondering if you guys could give some pointers and some good places with resources. I already am using The Ghost's tutorial database and a couple more. Any help with, I will be thankful for.

Roostervier
February 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Well, I would say, "learn to plane model," because that helps a ton, no joke. In the long run it makes things much easier. Also, learn a little of everything, if you can. It has been better, in my experience, to know some about everything and not just be focused on completely one thing. Though, you should stay more focused on one than the other, lest you get side tracked >_>. So, try new things, but make sure you make backups of what ever you are changing.

Reaper Man
February 24th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Well, I would say, "learn to plane model," because that helps a ton, no joke. In the long run it makes things much easier. Also, learn a little of everything, if you can. It has been better, in my experience, to know some about everything and not just be focused on completely one thing. Though, you should stay more focused on one than the other, lest you get side tracked >_>. So, try new things, but make sure you make backups of what ever you are changing.
Also, it helps to have concepts so you aren't confused with what to do next.

Metkil5685
February 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Well, I got a concept right now. It's tutorial. XD I'm thinking of a sorta new map idea. I'm not sure if it will fly or not, but I can try. It's for sure gonna be a small map. Not like a hugeass or anything like it.

Rob Oplawar
February 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Just don't do it like me- I didn't know what I was doing but was so eager I jumped right in, and I'm only now firguring out how and why things work. =P
I'd say make sure you know how to do something and have tried it before you try to apply it to an actual project.
-Rob