PDA

View Full Version : I helped a friend move...

SnaFuBAR
August 4th, 2008, 02:25 AM
and scored some neat items.

-cerwin-vega home theatre 140w 8" subwoofer (wow this thing makes a lot of bass!) with 3 matching speakers (one was busted)

- a pair of computer speakers

-3.5" hdd

-450w psu

-katana (not sharp :()

-old dell laptop to use to teach a guy 3ds max who will pay me (or i'll donate it since i have another one, too)

-garage hooks for hanging my tools

-a pack of cards

Anyone else have a day like this?

n00b1n8R
August 4th, 2008, 02:29 AM
This girl gave me her virg-

wait, no she didn't. :(

Bodzilla
August 4th, 2008, 02:34 AM
i spent the hole day thinking about how i was going to get out of my job and begin working for country energy as an apprentice.

Rosted day off every 2 weeks, loads of benefits, and above all else a decent wage.
1st year apprentice earns more then i would after 4 years of cabinet making.

king_nothing_
August 4th, 2008, 02:36 AM
You get things for helping people move? Hmm. I get a "thanks" and that's usually about it.

HDoan
August 4th, 2008, 02:50 AM
All I get was a workout out of it =/

Jelly
August 4th, 2008, 02:50 AM
My friend has a blunt katana. He hit a tree.

Reaper Man
August 4th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Got a free film SLR and an old 35-70 f/3.3-4.5. Too bad it's kinda lousy :saddowns:

FluffyDuckyâ„¢
August 4th, 2008, 03:30 AM
You get things for helping people move? Hmm. I get a "thanks" and that's usually about it.

M00r five finger discount then king. Then instead of being a king of nothing, you would be a king of something. And if your good enough to not get caught, you will still get your "thanks" and some lovely "souvenirs". ;)

/banana

Boba
August 4th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I got a guitar and a box of CD's.

Pope
August 4th, 2008, 03:58 AM
"SWORDS ARE NOT FOR DECORATION!!!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI)

That sword will fucking cut you wide open.

Great catches there Snaf.

Sever
August 4th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I work in the moving business, so I've seen a good assortment of items come my way, but the best (so far) is a fucking huge Sony Trinitron - they are notorious for being the heaviest standard-size TVs, but also famous for their high level of quality. Also, on a regular basis, we get some pretty good tips - usually upwards of $20 for short moves, and $50+ for larger ones - that is, if we don't break anything (which we usually don't) and if the customer simply isn't an ass.

Kalub
August 4th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Donate that laptop to me :(

Bodzilla
August 4th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I work in the moving business, so I've seen a good assortment of items come my way, but the best (so far) is a fucking huge Sony Trinitron - they are notorious for being the heaviest standard-size TVs, but also famous for their high level of quality. Also, on a regular basis, we get some pretty good tips - usually upwards of $20 for short moves, and $50+ for larger ones - that is, if we don't break anything (which we usually don't) and if the customer simply isn't an ass.
I've got a Sony trinitron for a Computer screen :D

:iia:
but it's starting to die :(

FlyingStone
August 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Usually it's just a Thank you but last year I got:

-A dell photo printer, like new still was in the box :D
-A beat up tractor with a 12 hp engine but it was not worth fixing so it got scrapped. (4 wheels, 12hp engine, and the transmission.)
-Some good wood that I still use.

Thats about the most I have ever got from moving, but from a job site oh boy. Last year I scored around:
-50 pieces of plywood
-5 pieces of 1/8 thick sheet metal
-15 metal painters scaffolding.

All for free, builder didn't want it. Was like a goldmine for a DIY guy.

flibitijibibo
August 4th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Nice woofer, SnaF. I suppose with 5 speakers total you could make a 5.1 system.

Things I earned from the last time I helped someone move:
- Microwave
- Trash can
- 2 really nice stools for my rear speakers
- Pack of old, used DVD-Rs that I erased for backup purposes.
- Printer
- Money for my 8800 GT

dg
August 4th, 2008, 01:15 PM

This is how my world works.

StankBacon
August 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
best thing ive ever gotten for helping someone move was a free Slurpee..

Bad Waffle
August 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Usually it's just a Thank you but last year I got:

-A dell photo printer, like new still was in the box :D
-A beat up tractor with a 12 hp engine but it was not worth fixing so it got scrapped. (4 wheels, 12hp engine, and the transmission.)
-Some good wood that I still use.

Thats about the most I have ever got from moving, but from a job site oh boy. Last year I scored around:
-50 pieces of plywood
-5 pieces of 1/8 thick sheet metal
-15 metal painters scaffolding.

All for free, builder didn't want it. Was like a goldmine for a DIY guy.

holy jesus, that is a goldmine.

Man, everybody i've helped moved gave me diddly. I never really cared, but hey, good for you guys.

king_nothing_
August 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Actually now that I think of it, I got offered a few things last time I helped someone move. They were either crappy or I had no use for them though, so I didn't take anything.

SnaFuBAR
August 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Nice woofer, SnaF. I suppose with 5 speakers total you could make a 5.1 system.

cerwin vega has the worst wiring system i've ever seen. it will make a nice system if i ever figure out how to set the freakin thing up!

oh also, i've built a custom 16 speaker system for myself before. THAT was awesome.

SnaFuBAR
August 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
ok i managed to set it up correctly, and all i can say is.

W O W i MUST get a splitter so i can send my pc's audio signal to this thing! holy crap!

140w 8" woofer and two floor standing cabinet speaker units housing another two 10" subs.

:cream:

FlyingStone
August 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
:picsorstfu:

Please :)

SnaFuBAR
August 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
there's really nothing special looking about it :| just imagine a black cube with a hole in the front.

TeeKup
August 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'm going to need someone to help me move. I've got all the last gen gaming systems, well over 50 games, a TV, my 360, and all my basic room furniture.

WHO WANTS TO HELP TEEKIE MOVE? :awesome:

SnaFuBAR
August 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
what'll you let me have of those things??

TeeKup
August 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
what'll you let me have of those things??

Those 50 games are split between my PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox. I'll let you keep half of each.

flibitijibibo
August 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
16 system? :cream:

I always considered getting another set of Z5500 speakers to make a 10.2 system. Double bass = sex... mm...

FlyingStone
August 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Where does Teek live again...

TeeKup
August 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM
South Carolina.

FlyingStone
August 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Little off the beaten path. Sorry. :S

flibitijibibo
August 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Maybe if I drove all night I could do it. That, and ditch my job/school.

FlyingStone
August 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I'd go down but I still don't have my drivers license. I know, I know, I am 16 and don't have it? Truth is I have been procrastinating, also spending 500+ dollars on tools for the tech school I am going into, kinda puts a lot of things on hold.

Oh well. I could bike... Just for Teek

<3

Gwunty
August 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I'm going to need someone to help me move. I've got all the last gen gaming systems, well over 50 games, a TV, my 360, and all my basic room furniture.

WHO WANTS TO HELP TEEKIE MOVE? :awesome:
Ill go, if I have monies to fly over there.

Apoc4lypse
August 5th, 2008, 01:55 AM

This.

... I feel like I'm getting ripped off... Next time I'll inquire about speakers XD

I'm trying to think of a day where I got something like that for free from someone.

I guess my old surfboard (broken now though...) more like a hand-me-down though.

uhh I found 20 bucks once (most money I've ever found...)

I did score a canoe for like 20 bucks at a garage sale, needed some TLC but its pretty sweet now, and I don't use it nearly enough. (its like 17 ft long hard to transport... otherwise I'd use it a lot more)

I got an Ipod for like 30 bucks from a friend.. fuck do any of these count, I had to pay money for some of these lol.

Yea, idk I'm out of ideas, can't think of anything really. People don't give me shit, they sell it. lol

Bodzilla
August 5th, 2008, 02:55 AM
This is how my world works.
oi remember that baggy of shrooms :awesome:

TeeKup
August 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Ill go, if I have monies to fly over there.

Yes, I would most certainly enjoy grunt coming to help me move. :-3