PDA

View Full Version : Mans greatest invention.......gone.

TeeKup
August 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
So I've been without air conditioning for the past 24 hours. Last night when I got off work at Carowinds, I was expecting to lay in my bed in my cool house until I fall asleep; because working out in the hot sun all day isn't fun (oh well a job is a job and money is money). I open my door only to be hit by a blast of thermal energy.

The repair people are supposed to come over today. Its 2:30, and I'm wondering why they aren't here yet..

Post your tales without mans greatest invention.

Heathen
August 4th, 2008, 01:48 PM
According to Dogma, its also mans greatest sin.

I always think.....If the conditions of outside were inside, no one would want to be inside. Outside is hot, humid, no electricity or AC, no immediate food or drink, no television, no fun. If a mate invited you to his house and it was something like outside....you wouldn't go would you? So why the hell go outside? Its so impractical.

Snowy
August 4th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I hear if you live in Canada, you don't have to have AC... Here in Dallas, Texas, the high today is 107.

Heathen
August 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM
93 degrees here today :/Not in my house its not though.

Chainsy
August 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
In my pickup truck over here in Irving, the thermometer is reading 113 degrees....and the truck has air conditioning and weve been driving for about 30 minutes..typing from my labtop, down on the asphalt its about 130 degrees, I feel like frying some eggs on the pavement at around 4-6. The worst thing is, we dont get a dry heat, we get humid heat so its hot and the air feels a thick as water (exageration of course).

Heathen
August 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Louisiana. Talk to me about humid.

Bodzilla
August 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hello, I'm an australian :colbert:

Botolf
August 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM
No AC here, just plug-in fans.

Bastinka
August 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM
It was a nice, cool but warm, summers day. So of course I invited my friend over to do something outside, the pool was still filling up. We went into the garage to check on sum fun stuff to do. I found a football, soccerball and a frisbee. So we played catch with the football, my dog decided to catch it and tore it up (It was cheap anyway.). We decided that was getting boring so we invited another friend and played some soccer, then that fell down the creek in my house and we were all too lazy to go down and get it (More of a fast small river than a creek, kinda dangerous.). Then I was like 'Hai friz b' and so we did, the thing broke after about 2 throws just decided to split in half.

So there we were all the outside games were broken, and inside it was hotter than outside. Also, my room was being renovated and the TV was gone because the HDTV was supposed to come. There we sat, doing nothing watching the pool. :[

thehoodedsmack
August 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I hear if you live in Canada, you don't have to have AC.

Lies.

Syuusuke
August 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM
The day I didn't have a french tickler over at my gf's.

So I became practical and used my fingers!

Limited
August 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Dont have AC. Its pretty humid at nights now and theres bugger all you can do part from open a window or use a shitty small fan. Opening a window gets you woken up by the bakery man and the milkman =\

It was about 60 degrees F here today =\

ima_from_America
August 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I was on a boat trip to the bahamas (it wasn't a cruise ship, just a cheap little charter boat) but a battery exploded inside of the boat so we all had to sleep outside. While we were at port temporarily on the big island of bimini, we had to sleep outside, on a net that was suspended between the 2 sides of the boat and over the nasty oily water. It was really hot, I was eaten alive by mosquitos, and I slipped through the net and busted up my leg.

Con
August 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I hear if you live in Canada, you don't have to have AC... Here in Dallas, Texas, the high today is 107.
Ever been to Toronto?

flibitijibibo
August 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM
MD. Clearly the worst of all these places. /sarcasm

It's a mix of good and bad. Maybe its the AIDS radiation from D.C., but we seem to get a not-too-happy medium. Lowest I recall is 5F and highest was about 105F. That wouldn't be so bad if there were some average, or something in between. You usually end up going from "FUCK IT'S COLD" to "FUCK IT'S HOT" immmediately. Some years, it literally spikes from about 20F to 80F in a 48 hr span.

When I lost AC a couple years back, I walked to the mall. When I came back, it was fixed. I never really bothered to ask how it was done so quickly.

Anton
August 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM
When I first moved here it was in late spring. Right before summer our AC just randomly stopped working, so my family didn't feel we needed to replace it or have it fixed. We went the entire summer without it. That's 90-100 degree weather all summer. Lucky for me I knew a few people around the neighborhood so I spent the nights with them about 4/7 nights a week. Wasn't too bad.

Mass
August 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I use multiple window units, so I'm good.

Chicago is cold in the winter and hot in the summer, but we have nice springs and falls

n00b1n8R
August 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Hello, I'm an australian :colbert:
Hello, I'm an australian from North Queensland and I don't have airconditioning. :colbert:

Apoc4lypse
August 5th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Post your tales without mans greatest invention.

Do you want that with long walls of text or with out? :XD:

Needless to say my house is Air Conditioned by a unit that is way undersized, it fails almost continuously, we've replaced many parts on it, including the main circuit board because condensation shorted it out once.

Currently its been sort of working, my house is always at about a constant 77-78 degrees nowadays, I've sort of gotten used to it now tho. If were lucky we can keep it at 74 or so. I've rarely ever seen our houses temperature drop below 70 in the summer XD. Of course this is just during the normal weather when its not too hot out and not to humid.

The humidity is really the problem though, our AC has a problem when it comes to dealing with the condensation. What starts to happen is so much condensation forms on the coiling coils, that it actually begins to freeze and ice forms inside of them which continuously melts and water goes everywhere, not to mention the AC completely loses its ability to control the humidity in the house, and it often shuts off on its own, or just doesn't work anymore at that point, water gets into the electronics, its a mess.

Our semi solution atm is kind of neat though, we sort of modified the box the coils are in so the condensation drains better, it drains into a plastic storage tub we put next to it through a hose, which is then pumped out through another hose out of the basement. Its not the greatest, but it works somewhat, the problem is if you make the set point too low, ice will start to form again because the condensation won't drain away quick enough and it'll just stop working like I mentioned above.

Now the cool part is, the water we pump out we actually hooked up to a sprinkler and believe it or not the pump gives out just enough pressure to run it decently. So we water our grass with the condensation collected from our AC lol... :cool:

But yeah, in the winter its even more fun when the Heater fails and we seal off one room of the house with space heaters to keep warm. Fuck I feel like survivor man almost :XD:.

An even better story was when the squirrels decided itd be fun to climb down the exhaust pipe and make a nest right above the ventilation fan. Then how we tried to lure the squirrels out of the pipe into a bag in our basement because they wouldn't climb out on there own, and then how we eventually decided to just turn the heat up and fry the little bastards. (They didn't wanna fuken get in the bag, and we didn't feel like having squirrels running around our basement.)

Now that I think about it lmao, my dad should have called animal control.

Yea... I got a few stories about mans greatest headache invention

E:
MD. Clearly the worst of all these places. /sarcasm You usually end up going from "FUCK IT'S COLD" to "FUCK IT'S HOT" immmediately. Some years, it literally spikes from about 20F to 80F in a 48 hr span.

When I lost AC a couple years back, I walked to the mall. When I came back, it was fixed. I never really bothered to ask how it was done so quickly.

Yea that sounds about right, except I'm from Jerzey lol, I love/hate this place. Mostly the people... I won't deny that accusation.

How ever, I can surf and snowboard here year round with either being an hour drive in either direction (south or north). Good location I guess considering I wouldn't be able to live without either of them. How ever Mountain Creek is a bit... Icy...

Tbh, I'd much rather live in California, I've never been to the west coast anyway.

btw, New York ain't that gr8, stop visiting, the traffics bad enough /sarcasm.

Kornman00
August 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM
germany doesn't believe in installing AC in their housing :|

only fucking heaters. hurrrrrrrrrrrrrmany ftl.