December 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM
already working on halo reach?

CtrlAltDestroy
December 19th, 2009, 12:24 AM
it's modelling practice if anything

CtrlAltDestroy
December 19th, 2009, 02:09 AM
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1485/br10.jpg

scope is hacked off of the halo 3 br, but you get the idea.

i'll finish up the real scope tomorrow

ICEE
December 19th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Interesting concept I think it would be cool to see the magazine extend a little out of the well like a realistic gun, or maybe curve within the gun a bit.

Dwood
December 19th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Something about the handle and area around the trigger screams pistol to me. Not sure what it is though.

Choking Victim
December 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Something about the handle and area around the trigger screams pistol to me. Not sure what it is though.
Pistols also have triggers. hth.

Dwood
December 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Pistols also have triggers. hth.

lol, that's not what I meant!!! :v:

Horns
December 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM

A lot of combat arms use pistol style grips rather then the traditional rifle style grip.

PenGuin1362
December 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Thus the reasoning behind the term "pistol grip" on assault rifles....

CtrlAltDestroy
December 19th, 2009, 10:48 AM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8499/br11.jpg

Chainsy
December 19th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I like it, thought design wise I don't like the little hand guard bar shit down there, maybe thicken it up and connect the actual handle to the stock with that bar, sort of like how the ar look, but that's just my opinion, that might look bad also.(run on sentences bitches, try to stop me!!!)

Advancebo
December 19th, 2009, 12:34 PM
nice

ODX
December 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
There's just something about the front gripping-area that looks odd to me, maybe its lack of detail, or how it's sloped. I'm sure you could do a much more interesting ophandle also, but otherwise it looks promising.

BobtheGreatII
December 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM
You left out quite a few details near the back, did you do that on purpose?

CtrlAltDestroy
December 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM
i made a version with a traditional br grip

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/940/br13j.jpg

also, the details i left out will be textured in

for now im just working on more attachments etc

e: oh, yeah, and im redoing the flash hider

Hunter
December 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Stick some small rails on each side of it under the other rails, then add laser sight, that would look cool. I might make one when I can be bothered.
And finished my BTEC ICT work...

BobtheGreatII
December 20th, 2009, 01:48 PM
also, the details i left out will be textured in

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2171/reach0404.jpg

There's a little piece on the cheek rest thing that you left off, your grip guard is all wrong, you need to make the actual scope, and on the forgrip there's a little notch detail thing that would look better modeled than a texture.

ODX
December 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
i made a version with a traditional br grip
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/940/br13j.jpgYeah, looks much nicer with the regular grip as opposed to this new one Bungie has 'designed.'

SiriusTexra
December 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Looks great, but do something with that handle, its a bit too straight off the side, have a slight curve dipping down into it or something, I know the handles probably like that in the game, but I dunno, height difference is always good, casts nicer shadows.

CtrlAltDestroy
December 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5530/brrel2.gif

mw2-insipired reload, though i'll probably do a more practical one for ingame

Gwunty
December 24th, 2009, 03:32 PM
model the scope >: (

Heathen
December 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
also, who throws like that, no matter what you are throwing, and is he keeping his ammo on his chest? Because if so, he must be keeping it on his gigantic tits to not have to reach any further than that.

CtrlAltDestroy
December 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM
alright, I fixed it just for you heathen:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9096/brrel3.gif

:)

ICEE
December 24th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Love it. The only thing I would really change would be the throwing of the magazine and the part where he pats the magazine into place. they both look a bit weak and unrealistic, as well as unnecessary.

SnaFuBAR
December 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Bolt handle comes back at the wrong time. It needs to pop back at the firing of the last round. Having it snap back like that as you do a mag pull is entirely wrong. If the bolt doesn't reciprocate during fire, he needs to pull the bolt handle back. Also, he wouldn't pull on the bolt handle like that, he'd slap it down, just like an mp5 reload. I would also give the camera a bit of a look-down bob in it when he goes to grab the magazine.

Origins are kind of nasty, too. I don't know why everyone puts the stock so far up into the right side of the screen. You will NEVER EVER see a stock like that because they don't come up into your peripheral vision at all when shouldered. It just looks retarded.

Although, yes, heathen, soldiers do carry mags on their chests, I do agree that the hand does not come back far enough towards the camera.

CtrlAltDestroy
December 24th, 2009, 11:05 PM
You present valid points snaf, but I still disagree with some of them.

Regarding the origins, there's times and places for realism... imo animating for halo isnt one of them. I set up my origins according to what I feel looks best, not how a real soldier would hold a weapon. If this ever does see the light of day in a map or otherwise, people are welcome to reposition the origins themselves in using whatever Halo CE plugin/addon allows for such.

I, however, will change the bolt handle timing (despite what I just said) as it was an oversight on my part. Although, I am inclined to keep the bolt pull the way it is, as I'd like to retain some of my artistic license as opposed to being dictated by "realism".

E: Oh, and the magazine/chest issue: halo's camera uses a lower fov than the render I posted, so it should be closer ingame. Also, animating the first person camera wasn't implemented until Halo 2, unfortunately.

Heathen
December 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
alright, I fixed it just for you heathen:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9096/brrel3.gif

:)

Love it :P

t3h m00kz
December 25th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I like the way he kind of does a sort of a "re-grip" with his right hand while he's pulling the clip out.

Heathen
December 25th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Yeah, what muki just said.

SnaFuBAR
December 26th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I, however, will change the bolt handle timing (despite what I just said) as it was an oversight on my part. Although, I am inclined to keep the bolt pull the way it is, as I'd like to retain some of my artistic license as opposed to being dictated by "realism".

artistic licence is fine, but, where is he pulling the bolt handle back towards?? the notch it locks into doesn't have the space for that, so visually, it's an issue. as an artist, looking to portray realism or not, that's something you need to take into account, if just to make your work more credible.

ODX
December 27th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I like the way he kind of does a sort of a "re-grip" with his right hand while he's pulling the clip out.Well, that's how IW did it in their Famas, and it was a good decision on their part. Just adds to the overall animation without doing something completely unnecessary.

Animators really need to remember that the fingers on the handle can be moved, ffs. Mostly you see it in pistol reloads though, not very common in rifles.

PenGuin1362
December 27th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Keep in mind though, IW used motion capture for their animations, they don't actually animate via maya/max

Disaster
December 27th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Keep in mind though, IW used motion capture for their animations, they don't actually animate via maya/max

I'm pretty sure they only used MoCap for 3p animations.

ICEE
December 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM

I fail to believe that. They must have manually animated fp, or at least heavily edited mocap. theres just so much that isnt human about their animatons.

ODX
December 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Keep in mind though, IW used motion capture for their animations, they don't actually animate via maya/maxUh, no. Just no. Infinity Ward did not use motion capture in their first person animations, it's incredibly obvious.

People need to stop under-crediting animators, by thinking we've all gone to motion capturing and no one can do a damn thing by hand anymore. Making the animations that IW has made is not impossible through manual labor.

Here, take a look at IMBrokeRU's copy reload of their M4. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3UP9FpUUFQ)
That's pretty damn close to what they made, and if he can do that, with only around 1 or so years of experience, then damn it, Infinity Ward's animators, who are professionals and have 3+ years of experience, should easily be able to do it.

Heathen
December 27th, 2009, 08:49 PM
yeesh, 3 years of experience around here doesn't seem like much.

Roostervier
December 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
haha what

how did this turn into something about people "under-crediting" animators? penguin stated a fact (although i think they did the fp animations by hand too since fp is drastically different than 3p).

ODX
December 27th, 2009, 09:19 PM
yeesh, 3 years of experience around here doesn't seem like much.I'm not exactly sure how much they really have, but if they're the same animators as CoD1 then well, that's at least 6-8 or so years of experience, because looking at the site they require 3 years of Maya/Max animating, period.

haha what

how did this turn into something about people "under-crediting" animators? penguin stated a fact (although i think they did the fp animations by hand too since fp is drastically different than 3p).Motion capture is a quick and, most of the time, efficient way to make animations for realistic things. When someone says a company used it for FP animations, that implies they think the animations are too realistic or well done for someone to have hand-made and thus, they're under-estimating (I meant to use this instead of 'crediting.' Sorry) today's animators.

If you want to continue this, snap me a PM, I already feel bad enough for having to post another off-topic post in CAD's thread, albeit it's animation related and we were just critiquing CAD's animation.

ICEE
December 28th, 2009, 12:24 AM
chill odx. We'll get through this. Not every incorrect/misworded post is a federal case >.>

Dwood
December 28th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I'm not exactly sure how much they really have, but if they're the same animators as CoD1 then well, that's at least 6-8 or so years of experience, because looking at the site they require 3 years of Maya/Max animating, period.

I read somewhere that gaming companies have people coming and going with their game development all the time... I think 6 years is the max/unheard of when it comes to art/programming/etc for a gaming company. Just noting it is extremely unlikely that is the case.

ShadowSpartan
December 28th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I think 6 years is the max/unheard of when it comes to art/programming/etc for a gaming company.
No, I know for a fact that there are programmers that worked on Halo 1 and are still working at Bungie. One of them is pretty much the last person that supports Halo PC, Roger Wolfson.

Disaster
December 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I read somewhere that gaming companies have people coming and going with their game development all the time... I think 6 years is the max/unheard of when it comes to art/programming/etc for a gaming company.

lol... no

Shockwave
January 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hi there!
CAD, the BR55 (Halo Reach) has 12 bullets and it's a single-fire. You're good dude! (bad english :/)

YouTube Channel: iamcortex37

t3h m00kz
January 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
It's not a br55.

I doubt it's even a BR.

Shockwave
January 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM
It's the BR55... read books and you will know...

=sw=warlord
January 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM
BR55 is the one in halo 2 and 3, the one in reach is not a BR55 as shown in the video.
completely different scope for starters.

Advancebo
January 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Scopes are attachments. Thats like saying the Silenced SMG from ODST isnt the same SMG from Halo 2/3 just because it has a reflex sight.

=sw=warlord
January 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Scopes are attachments. Thats like saying the Silenced SMG from ODST isnt the same SMG from Halo 2/3 just because it has a reflex sight.
Ok how about this, it has a completely different overall design.

Higuy
January 10th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Not really.

kid908
January 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Not really.

it also share similar design with the ar.

Shockwave
January 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
The laser spartan in Halo: Reach is always a laser spartan ^^

ODX
January 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
How about we stop talking about the damn rifle, and just wait for Game Informer to confirm what is it?

...Even though it most likely is a Battle Rifle/prototype of one.

The laser spartan in Halo: Reach is always a laser spartan ^^We do not know. It could fire rockets or an other projectile.

Advancebo
January 10th, 2010, 05:35 PM
We do not know. It could fire rockets or an other projectile.

So 2 weapons that fire a rocket? Nice.

Odds are it is a spartan laser thing.

ODX
January 10th, 2010, 05:43 PM
So 2 weapons that fire a rocket? Nice.

Odds are it is a spartan laser thing.It was meant as an example, idiot, I wasn't directly saying "DER DE DER IT FIREZ ROKEHTS KL:AJSUFIALDJ:LF."

Shockwave
January 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Look the leak pictures! There is a laser spartan with a heartbeat sensor

wrong thread ~con

Advancebo
January 12th, 2010, 03:21 PM

It's the same model as h3 with the stock extended and the attachments added on.

t3h m00kz
January 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM

It's been verified in the IGN magazine that the weapon is a "Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR)"

Kalub
January 15th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Ugh, still fucking arguing about this stupid fucking gun?

Give it a rest. Jesus.

Amit
January 16th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Ugh, still fucking arguing about this stupid fucking gun?

Give it a rest. Jesus.

The last time somebody said anything about it was 4 days ago. Why comment on it now?

rossmum
January 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM
mw2-insipired reload, though i'll probably do a more practical one for ingame
snaf already covered the main points but as someone trained to use a bullpup rifle i think i ought to chime in a bit.

first up, i'd get rid of the mag toss. yes, it looks more action hero, but in a game where half-empty mags replenish your stock it makes no sense and it's also kind of contrary to the whole 'ultimate soldier' thing. on the range we place mags back into our webbing, empty or otherwise; in combat you'd more likely find us shoving them down our cams for easy access. maybe the odd empty mag would simply be dropped in the chaos, but it would then be retrieved at first convenience.

second, lifting the muzzle like that actually makes reloading harder. obviously this would be less of a problem for the mc but it strikes me that they would probably learn the same weapons drills as regular soldiers anyway. we keep our steyrs more or less level but tilt them to the side, so that the butt is wedged against our side and the mag well is facing us. doesn't look so fancy but makes it a lot easier to push the mag in, and it helps cut down on seating issues (trust me, the last thing you want when you're under fire is for your mag to fall out as soon as you pull the trigger, and i've seen it happen before - albeit only on the range). take what you will from this, as i know you need to strike the right balance between realism and style.

when it comes to the cocking handle, snaf has it. there's no room there to pull it back and then let it return under spring tension, and in any case it's locked up so it wouldn't do that. really the only way you can release the bolt with that kind of cocking handle is to flick it down and let it return itself, as we do with the steyr. as one of our corporals told us, imagine you're high-fiving mickey mouse at disneyland. spread your hand out and bring it down and away from the rifle in a sweeping motion, catching the handle with your thumb and then brushing your hand away as soon as it disengages from the hold-open recess. when done well this looks wicked as fuck anyway, so you may as well use it.

e/ by the way i'll be in calgary as of tomorrow. get on the forums more often so we can arrange some chill time

ODX
January 17th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Some great points in there Rossmum, I learned a few things, but do well to remember this is Halo, and...

there's times and places for realism... imo animating for halo isnt one of them.
If we were all constrained to 'realism,' there wouldn't be as many interesting animations/animators as we have today. Things would get kind of boring, with everyone making reloads the same way because they are 'realistic.'

Please understand that I'm not saying "Fuck realism! It's a game, who cares!?" because that's obviously not true and we need to keep in mind some sort of logistics, but having them all is certainly not ideal, even if you can make unique things by yourself with little reference to real life.

Of course, CAD does have his own doubts about the reload, keep in mind:

i'll probably do a more practical one for ingame

Shockwave
January 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I have an airsoft FAMAS full metal, which has the same conception as that of the BR (or DMR). When I reload with, I make it for the similar 95 % that CAD. Actuallu, I try to make "realistic" animation, it's so hard but funny... ^^

ICEE
January 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I have an airsoft FAMAS full metal, which has the same conception as that of the BR (or DMR). When I reload with, I make it for the similar 95 % that CAD. Actuallu, I try to make "realistic" animation, it's so hard but funny... ^^

Because your copying halo.

I am not wrong.

Also, Thanks for the insight ross. Not intended for me, but I learned something.

rossmum
January 18th, 2010, 03:39 AM
i'm an australian soldier and i'm competent with a real f88 austeyr rifle using real drills tried and tested by soldiers for some 25 years now. see how this works?

Shockwave
January 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Yes of course! It's a bullpup gun, but at home, I called this an AUG

t3h m00kz
January 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM
first up, i'd get rid of the mag toss. yes, it looks more action hero, but in a game where half-empty mags replenish your stock it makes no sense and it's also kind of contrary to the whole 'ultimate soldier' thing.

I'd just like to point out some guns in MW1 are guilty of this. The player tosses the AK47 magazine away when reloading. Not as obviously and show-offy as CAD's animation, but it's still tossed away.

ICEE
January 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM
IMO, just because IW did it doesn't make it right.

I mean, look at that whole gameplay... thing... they've got going on there....

t3h m00kz
January 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM
The point I'm making is it shouldn't really matter if the magazine is tossed or not. The SMG clip in Halo is tossed, yet the ammo in reserve doesn't go down a whole clip.

There's a point where things have to remain unrealistic for gameplay purposes.

rossmum
January 19th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Yes of course! It's a bullpup gun, but at home, I called this an AUG
no, i don't think you got my point. my point was that you playing about with an airsoft gun is in no way going to be as realistic as actual drills using the actual thing. and no, the aug and the f88 aren't the same. the f88 is australian-made by adi at lithgow saf under license, stamped with adi markings, and serialled with the prefix 'as' - australian steyr. if you were to call an f88 an aug in front of a regimental instructor, you'd get ripped.

t3h m00kz
January 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I feel I should point out there's a flashlight on the front left of the DMR, similar to the flashlight on the shotgun in Halo 3.

CtrlAltDestroy
January 25th, 2010, 09:17 PM
figured i might as well post something:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9691/48008100.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9454/58260638.jpg
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7573/44017394.jpg
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7877/23647355.jpg

script-controlled hud elements (no more using the countdown timer as a score counter)

Inferno
January 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
figured i might as well post something:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9691/48008100.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9454/58260638.jpg
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7573/44017394.jpg
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7877/23647355.jpg

script-controlled hud elements (no more using the countdown timer as a score counter)

How did you manage that exactly? Wouldn't you have to have a separate string for every number?

Advancebo
January 26th, 2010, 05:37 AM
nicely done.

Kalub
January 26th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Pretty cool

Dwood
January 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have an idea of how he did it but what I'm thinking is very.... annoying, to say the least. (basically what you said Inferno)

I was also going to say that you could use Open Sauce as a point counter but then I realized if you wanted to use it you would have done so already :P

Shockwave
January 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/DMR_right3.jpg
For your DMR,CAD

rossmum
January 29th, 2010, 12:20 AM
what the fuck.

halo's weapons have gone from being nice and simple but looking good, to nice and simple but detailed enough, and now to absolute bullshit fest. that looks like basically every other sci-fi rifle ever now, fuck that noise.

Heathen
January 29th, 2010, 12:28 AM
wah wah, halo trying to look realistic wah wah.

I like it.

rossmum
January 29th, 2010, 12:36 AM
it doesn't look realistic it just looks flat out retarded and generic

rather than design something that retains the look of the original human tech they just decided to bevel and extrude the living fuck out of it because surely that's what all the cool sci-fi guns look like

Advancebo
January 29th, 2010, 05:18 AM
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/DMR_right3.jpg
For your DMR,CAD
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/DMR_left3.jpg

t3h m00kz
January 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM
it doesn't look realistic it just looks flat out retarded and generic

This is all a matter of opinion. 9 out of 10 people who haven't played the Halo games will say they all look like your generic scifi shooter. At least, from my experience.

rossmum
January 29th, 2010, 11:32 AM
recipe for generic sci-fi guns:

bevel. extrude. repeat. texture in two or three shades of matte grey.

at least the halo 1 weapons weren't bevelled and extruded to fuck and there was some variety in there, rather than the same three shades of matte grey

Corndogman
January 29th, 2010, 08:22 PM
:protarget:

ICEE
January 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I agree with ross on this one. The halo 1 weapons were interesting by design. The only one that could be called generic in any sense is the assault rifle imo. Sci fis just seem to have a lot of cased rifles. The armored look. The most generic weapons are in UT if you ask me. Not one of them is cool.

t3h m00kz
January 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Have you played UT3 for more than an hour? Because if that were the case I'm suprised you'd be saying that. Every single weapon is completely different from one another.

CtrlAltDestroy
January 29th, 2010, 10:28 PM
im just gonna lock this for now

CtrlAltDestroy
February 13th, 2010, 02:09 AM
something i picked up...

xi91GjuSVWg

Dwood
February 13th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Oh that's cool cad. What did you do/use for that?

ODX
February 13th, 2010, 09:06 AM
When repairing the boards, is it limited to one every so often, or could you just press the "Use" key 5 times and they'll all start building back up again?

Why is the DMR's firing so loud D:, and what happened to that MW2 styled reload you had done for it/the one you had said you planned to do more practically for in-game purposes? (Unless you haven't done that, no worries)

Cool job, none-the-less.

ThePlague
February 13th, 2010, 10:07 AM
:awesome:

mech
February 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Most interesting thing I've seen on these boards in a long while. If this concept is taken to the next level, it might give me a reason to play halo. Great work!

Heathen
February 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
something i picked up...

xi91GjuSVWg

if this ever releases, I will reinstall CE yet again. This is my new CMT SPv2. CADZP ftw.

CtrlAltDestroy
February 14th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Small update: First working build done. What really sets this apart from the rest of the firefight maps that have been made for Halo: CE is that it was scripted procedurally. Each round is generated on its own by the script, as opposed to having each round scripted individually. This also has the added bonus of featuring infinite rounds, just like the real thing. ;p

t3h m00kz
February 14th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I never made it far enough to know if Firefight ever ended. :(

That's pretty legit.

PenGuin1362
February 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
If I have time I'll start work on that map we discussed a long time ago >_>

CtrlAltDestroy
February 15th, 2010, 01:40 PM
yeah, youd better

Hunter
February 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Need a hand with anything at all?

CtrlAltDestroy
February 28th, 2010, 01:25 AM
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/875/45043942.gif

its an assault rifle with a goddamn blowtorch duct taped to it

Heathen
February 28th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Badass, but wouldn't the muzzleflash work fine for lighting it? I admit this is cooler though. Definitely include this in Nazi Flood, or whatever. The CADZP.

Con
February 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM
This is awesome, you are awesome.

Siliconmaster
February 28th, 2010, 02:46 AM
^This.

I have not felt as much glee relating to CE in a very, very long time. Make this happen. I implore you. :puppydog eyes:

ODX
February 28th, 2010, 09:28 AM
When he's striking it with his thumb to light the burner, it looks as if only the lower thumb bone is moving (rather, rotating) and the rest of the thumb is static. Makes the skin look a bit funky when he's doing this (at the root of the thumb) since it's moving so much.

CtrlAltDestroy
March 13th, 2010, 08:36 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/252/raygun.gif

cred to treyarch for the raygun model and textures.

Spartan094
March 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Something doesn't feel/look right when he puts back the batteries in the gun and the finger movement with it. Also why is your image of the animation really slow?

Other then that sweet.

sdavis117
March 13th, 2010, 09:06 PM
The hand seems to not care at all about the (what I would guess is the) sight on the gun, because it goes through it a couple times.

CtrlAltDestroy
March 13th, 2010, 09:08 PM
i made certain that it always passes between the index and middle finger.

sdavis117
March 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not talking about the mini radio tower looking thing, I'm taking about the fin. The index finger goes through it a little.

ODX
March 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I'm not talking about the mini radio tower looking thing, I'm taking about the fin. The index finger goes through it a little.Dunno, looks fine to me:
http://i43.tinypic.com/11jql3b.jpg
And even if it does, it's pretty inconspicuous and doesn't really need any attention towards fixing it.

t3h m00kz
March 14th, 2010, 12:30 AM
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/875/45043942.gif

its an assault rifle with a goddamn blowtorch duct taped to it

That is ridiculous and would have no logical use.

I love it.

Heathen
March 14th, 2010, 04:45 AM
also it has a badass duct tape texture

Amit
March 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
That is ridiculous and would have no logical use.

I love it.

It would be useful for when you run out of rounds in your current clip, but know you'll die if you switch to your next weapon. Or maybe to softening them up first, while you still have shields, because you might get roasted by your own gun with no shields up.

ICEE
March 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM
or for lighting up a joint.

itsasylum
March 15th, 2010, 05:02 PM
These look really nice!

CtrlAltDestroy
March 22nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/461/wwfire.gif

cred to treyarch for models/textures

Spartan094
March 22nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
Oh you. Something about the cubemaps on the glass looks out of place. The effects looks cool, need to be abit brighter and more light I guess. I am also sure your gonna find a way to make the lights go on and off on the side when shot.

Cool.

E: Shouldn't the back side of the glass be transparent? If it is it could be the angle then.

Inferno
March 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Badass. Hopefully this will actually get finished unlike other zteam projects...

Heathen
March 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Badass. Hopefully this will actually get finished unlike other halo CE projects...

ftfy

CtrlAltDestroy
March 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
http://www.halotrialmods.org/zteam/images/03-29-10/wunderwaffe.gif
Nice 404~

Dwood
March 29th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Is that Halo? it doesn't look like Halo. That gun looks too good to be in halo.

Roostervier
March 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
reaper, that wasn't a 404 before. problem may have been on your end, or i guess for whatever reason the file was deleted. vOv

Choking Victim
March 29th, 2010, 08:14 PM
reaper, that wasn't a 404 before. problem may have been on your end, or i guess for whatever reason the file was deleted. vOv
No, it was a 404. (http://www.halotrialmods.org/zteam/images/03-29-10/wunderwaffe.gif)

ICEE
March 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I saw the image before. It was a gif of that same rifle thing that he showed in the previous post, only this time it was showcasing the particles

Roostervier
March 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
yeah, showed a firing animation and him strafing to the right while firing.

CtrlAltDestroy
May 4th, 2010, 11:46 PM
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9477/glfirerel.gif
i like the vert grip configuration more

t3h m00kz
May 5th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Not to fond of the transition from the re-grabbing to the origins. Other than that, not bad..

AAA
May 5th, 2010, 12:14 AM
... Why do we see modifications for Halo, but none of them ever release?

They're still Awesome!

ICEE
May 5th, 2010, 12:31 AM
looks like the fingers clip the sights during the insert.

BobtheGreatII
May 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM
... Why do we see modifications for Halo, but none of them ever release?

They're still Awesome!

Because they're ripped models. So releasing them would be bad...

Invader Veex
May 5th, 2010, 09:59 AM
That was fast. Vert grip looks cool.

Roostervier
May 5th, 2010, 07:12 PM
looks like the fingers clip the sights during the insert.

yeah, but think about it: you're ingame and you're reloading the gun. unless you're specifically looking for it, you're not going to notice. accommodating for what is already hardly noticeable may even bring down the animation's quality. in the end, it's better to leave it as-is.

ICEE
May 6th, 2010, 09:43 PM
yeah, but think about it: you're ingame and you're reloading the gun. unless you're specifically looking for it, you're not going to notice. accommodating for what is already hardly noticeable may even bring down the animation's quality. in the end, it's better to leave it as-is.

Yeah, better to leave every graphical glitch as is. Why UV stairs? Just texture it from top down, no one looks at the side of them anyways.

t3h m00kz
May 6th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah, better to leave every graphical glitch as is. Why UV stairs? Just texture it from top down, no one looks at the side of them anyways.

In reality, game devs are usually so packed full of work they usually have to leave minor things that don't break gameplay as won't fix.

ICEE
May 6th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Guys, I gave a valid bit of criticism. It is for cad to do with as he wants. If he doesn't want to take it, he doesn't have to. Why does this have to trail on for 5 posts?

CtrlAltDestroy
May 21st, 2010, 02:30 AM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3842/knife.gif

animated projectiles

Heathen
May 21st, 2010, 04:37 AM
cool shit

Amit
May 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM
Looks cool and all, but I'm more interested in the plasma pistol. It looks fantastic.

t3h m00kz
May 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM
it's obviously ripped from reach

Amit
May 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM
I don't doubt it.

jcap
May 22nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Looks cool and all, but I'm more interested in the plasma pistol. It looks fantastic.
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7035/pp2r.jpg

Amit
May 23rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
Pretty cool. Too bad Halo doesn't support Anti-Aliasing.

CtrlAltDestroy
May 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM
NPHdh9X9dvM

Limited
May 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Oh thats purrrdy.

PenGuin1362
May 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
need that for the pit to look prettier

ODX
May 30th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Seems a bit weird where the fire starts a few feet from the barrel (unless that's the "realistic" way).

In my opinion it would look, maybe even feel, better if the fire started at a much closer distance.

ThePlague
May 31st, 2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah, same as what ODX said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYpRpiZmf0).

Heathen
May 31st, 2010, 08:05 AM
napalm =/= flamethrower

Flamethrower catches gas on fire, hence the distance between barrel and flame. Napalm is like...liquid fucking fire. Spewing out of the hose.

CtrlAltDestroy
May 31st, 2010, 03:59 PM
_Bof1xj_y4A

Pyong Kawaguchi
May 31st, 2010, 07:25 PM
Beautiful.

Limited
May 31st, 2010, 07:41 PM
Love the brute shot particle effects.

hry
May 31st, 2010, 08:36 PM
I love the neddler and the fire nade.

Dwood
May 31st, 2010, 10:03 PM
I'm surprised you are all still beating up HCE. I suppose however putting the assets in Halo instead of, say, Unreal, it keeps MS and Bungie off your backs.

ICEE
May 31st, 2010, 11:35 PM
I think the plasma rifle looks pretty bland, needs more contrast.

DarkHalo003
June 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
Okay, it's taken me forever to catch up with the new stuff, but here I go:

-Grenade Launcher animations and model are an excellent conversion! Idk if you animated the grenade launcher yourself, but you could have easily fooled me into thinking it was converted if it isn't.

-The Flamethrower, I think, needs more of something near the "barrel" (whatever you call it) when you fire it because it looks like there's a gap between the flamethrower's barrel and the flame itself. Other than that, freaking nice work.

-The Needler is incredible. I mean, it's probably the most amazing one I've seen in CE. Ever.

-Great conversion with the plasma pistol. It's also probably the best I've seen in CE (until the charging, which I'm very picky about [personal taste]).

-The PR looks great, but I think it needs more juiciness to the color. It looks very much like Halo2's, but I think it needs more contrast like ICEE said.

-Splazer is awesome. Cleanest one I've seen so far.

-Everything about Brute Shot is amazing. Keep it up!

-The Fuel Rod Cannon is also incredible. If I could pick anything out of the entire group for a release, it'd be this (we need better FRCs out there that look this good).

-I really don't like the particle effects of the Firenade. It's probably just CE being crappy with it, but I think it looks too bland and pixelish for a goo firenade (never seen a really good one in CE, the Flamethrower's effects were the best I've seen tbh).

Overall this stuff is amazing. Please keep it up.

Kornman00
June 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
AFAIK, all actual content (sounds, anims, etc) is extracted from the newer engines then fixed up so they can be imported into CE. But, that leaves CAD having to setup the shaders, effect, damage_effect, weapon, etc tags which is a bigger chore since we don't know how those tags are structured in the new engines and thus can't base some of the tag data off of their values.

CtrlAltDestroy
June 2nd, 2010, 01:06 AM
7-X4HhNZuCw

t3h m00kz
June 2nd, 2010, 02:11 AM
Ah yes, I did that with a shock rifle a while back.

Collision + health + death effect = awesome.

Mythril
June 2nd, 2010, 03:45 AM
Nice sniping skills.

Everything looks great, except for the plasma rifles, which as stated above, looks a bit bland. Really loving the needler effects.

Boba
June 4th, 2010, 10:13 PM
gosh cad that is just great

Inferno
June 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Why do you do all this stuff if you never ever plan to release it?

ICEE
June 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Why do you do all this stuff if you never ever plan to release it?

I've wondered this too. Also, if your not going to release it, why show it?

Inferno
June 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Modding for me is 2 part satisfaction. Building and designing something is 1 part and releasing something and knowing other people enjoyed it as well is the second part.

CtrlAltDestroy
June 5th, 2010, 03:51 AM
It will, in the pit; peng just needs to finish up his part

ODX
June 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I've wondered this too. Also, if your not going to release it, why show it?Well, it's his Gallery thread which pretty much also serves as a more in-depth critique thread. If CAD is ever to be hired (ever thought about who you'd maybe work for?) then he's going in with a much better idea of his arts than if he weren't to post them.

Plus he's just showing us some of the neat things Halo can do.

ICEE
June 5th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Obviously guys, if he is trying to get hired, linking them to this thread is a GREAT way to do it.

You don't get hired for ripping.

Inferno
June 5th, 2010, 01:55 PM
You don't get hired for ripping.

I'm pretty sure heathen was being sarcastic.

ODX... Not so much.

SnaFuBAR
June 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM
ok, enough of that. get back on topic.

Corndogman
June 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Very nice stuff. Only thing I don't like is the way the flamethrower goes up at the end. It needs to sort of dissipate and spread out as it moves up at the end, instead of all moving up in one perfect stream. That's just my opinion though, Idk if you're trying to copy the real thing or what, I just think it would look better that way.

ikesmasher
July 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
yo, the link to that badass assault rifle on page two down. does anyone have it to reupload?

Lateksi
July 3rd, 2010, 03:22 AM
Sniping rockets would be hard online as you'd need to lead the shots. Otherwise I think that's very cool (like Mookz' shock rifle was too).

GrahmcrackerL33T
July 15th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I can texture that assault rifle you have :iamafag:

CtrlAltDestroy
August 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Zx67oTN53g8

NotZac
August 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM
The best.

ThePlague
August 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
That's fucking awesome!

Heathen
August 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM
That looks fantastic.

CrAsHOvErRide
August 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
CAD is the #1 Halo Modding Guru

ODX
August 10th, 2010, 05:56 PM
You fucker you killed it :[

Plan to make an enter/exit animation that actually fits?

CtrlAltDestroy
August 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah, sooner or later.

PenGuin1362
August 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
after you make my damn lifts so i can finish my map >: (

hry
August 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
ohh wow seriously you are the best at modding ce.

CtrlAltDestroy
August 22nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
http://halotrialmods.org/zteam/cad/images/spiker.gif

Inferno
August 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
That is a really cool way to use the A-Out functions. If the warthog didn't already have 4 functions that would look cool on the barrels of the chaingun.

ICEE
August 22nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
why, I wonder, did bungie implement that feature for the spiker instead of the guns that overheat as part of gameplay

Lateksi
August 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
They didn't?

Inferno
August 22nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
why, I wonder, did bungie implement that feature for the spiker instead of the guns that overheat as part of gameplay

Are you saying you wanted bungie to do it or your mad because they did? I just accidentally your entire post.

ODX
August 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
why, I wonder, did bungie implement that feature for the spiker instead of the guns that overheat as part of gameplayBecause the actual guns that overheat (mainly plasma weapons) aren't made by cavemen.

Heathen
August 22nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
It really did that in Halo 3? Fuck I didn't notice.

ODX
August 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
No, it does it for Reach's Spiker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hHV0hoI4i8).

ThePlague
August 22nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hey CAD, what ever happened to zombies?

Heathen
August 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
No, it does it for Reach's Spiker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hHV0hoI4i8).

badass

Amit
August 22nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
I like the red flashing in the top right corner of the HUD to indicate that you're almost out of rounds.

ICEE
August 23rd, 2010, 12:38 AM
Sentence had too many commas, I don't get it.

I am asking why they made the spiker overheat visually instead of the plasma weapons, which overheat as part of gameplay is all. Maybe they did, or maybe they have every intention to. I don't know. It just seems like that would be the logical progression

Kornman00
August 23rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Maybe because the plasma weapon bodies themselves aren't made out of metal, or of materials which have a higher melting point? Spikers aren't modeled after Forerunner tech after all.

That is a really cool way to use the A-Out functions. If the warthog didn't already have 4 functions that would look cool on the barrels of the chaingun.
Nonsense, the warthog gun weapon only has A and B-out in use. C and D are free.

DarkHalo003
August 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
That was great. Probably one of the best things I've seen in CE for weapons in a while. It's especially awesome because it's the Spiker.

Inferno
August 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Maybe because the plasma weapon bodies themselves aren't made out of metal, or of materials which have a higher melting point? Spikers aren't modeled after Forerunner tech after all.

Nonsense, the warthog gun weapon only has A and B-out in use. C and D are free.

The warthog_gun.weapon doesn't have control over the chainguns model and texture (too my knowledge) and the warthog.vehicle has all 4 slots filled.

Invader Veex
August 24th, 2010, 12:54 AM
-spiker pic-

Damnet, I thought I was the first to do that!

Donut
August 28th, 2010, 05:13 PM
that effect would be pretty badass on a warthog chaingun though. if it actually does have all 4 function blocks taken, what could you replace? the headlights maybe?

CrAsHOvErRide
August 28th, 2010, 07:29 PM
that effect would be pretty badass on a warthog chaingun though. if it actually does have all 4 function blocks taken, what could you replace? the headlights maybe?
read Korn's post

CtrlAltDestroy
August 31st, 2010, 06:45 PM
EL_iVSAg_dk

excuse the horrific video thumbnail

Hunter
August 31st, 2010, 06:58 PM
Looks good :) I want to model that weapon, looks interesting.

ODX
August 31st, 2010, 08:16 PM
They look a bit boring and uninspired to be honest with you, they need more emphasis on force and some slightly faster/accented movements. I guess I can cut you some slack seeing as you don't do FP Animations much these days anymore (at least to my/our knowledge) but I'll give you my run-down anyhow:

Ready- Simple enough, I'm alright with that, but the vents could close a bit sooner. Right now it seems like the animation ends and then the vents close, like it was tacked on last minute.
Melee- Pretty good, though it seems like you struggled a bit with the right arm and its rotation due to how far out the gun is. Clean it up a bit, perhaps a bit of frame-by-frame animating to fix the snapping/clipping issues before/during the melee, and then when it's going back down to origin. Speaking of the return to origin, I'm not too fond of how it just kind of 'slides' into the origin while all the other animations have a bit of bounce to them. Idea itself doesn't get you many points either, but I suppose there's only so many ways you can wack people with a gun...in Halo.
Throw-Grenade- The hand kind of just 'flings' itself from top to bottom, there doesn't seem to be any wrist rotation at all and it makes it look like you're just clawing the air rather than throwing a grenade billions of yards. Gun movement is nice, but the return to origin looks like you just put the first frames in backwards instead of adding something from complete scratch that's noticeably different from the first half of the animation.
Fire-1- Not really much to say here.
Reload- Again, kind of lacking any interesting motion. It's more of an animation for a reload just to have one, rather than something that the player would actually take notice of and be like "Hey, that's kind of neat." I think you should make a bit of gun recoil when the 'mag' pops out too as well as the hood flying up like you have. There's lots of room for a more detailed return to origin as well, something more eye-catching and fitting to the animation instead of the little kind of 'bob' you have which lasts only about 3 frames or so.

All in all though it's still a nice set, but nothing too spectacular (even with a Reach weapon). The execution of each animation is still nicely balanced and doesn't look like someone completely inexperienced/out of it for months did it, it's mainly the ideas that are really lacking.

CtrlAltDestroy
September 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
qIQEleniYGE

credit to con for the emp particle bitmap

DarkHalo003
September 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Is your timer started immediately or after first bounce (I want to know if first bounce actually works before I mess with my tag too much)? Also, nice shaders and effects. If you use a timer-based explosion for the standard, then increase for a bit longer; the standard doesn't bounce high enough.

Amit
September 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
The projectile speed seems a little slow. Is that how it is in Reach?

Higuy
September 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
The animations are a bit sloppy at the end of the reload imo.

CtrlAltDestroy
September 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
reload was actually taken from my previous grenade launcher set (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?11196-GALLERY-cad-s-craptacular-creations&p=535139&viewfull=1#post535139) (just edited it to use a horizontal foregrip configuration as opposed to vertical). I'm doing a new one because frankly, i don't like it that much either and its a bit too long for practical use.

DarkHalo003
September 13th, 2010, 06:20 PM
The projectile speed seems a little slow. Is that how it is in Reach?
It may be a bit faster in Reach, but increase the speed too much and you have issues with the bounce going out of proportion in height. I have mine set at 14 for the initial and I might even decrease it further.

Heathen
September 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM
can it do the...holdy....waity thing?

ODX
September 13th, 2010, 11:01 PM
No fire-1 animation?

can it do the...holdy....waity thing?Not sure if that's possible with standard Halo 1 tagging.

CtrlAltDestroy
September 13th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Because the weapon only has one round per mag, it plays the reload-empty animation immediately when you fire, cutting into the fire animation. What i shouldve done was integrate the fire animation into the reload (like the stock RL animations), but i figured this set was placeholder anyways.

TVTyrant
April 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Yo Halcyon. Bumps man. Bumps.

Amit
April 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM
A reallllly shitty one too.

Spartan094
April 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Why did you continue to post info we know? And just post after 4 days? And you obviously didn't know what darkhalo ment either. He was talking about replicating it in Halo CE and NOT talking about reach.

also your bump at the top is shitty

BobtheGreatII
April 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Isn't he talking about the timer that's in the tags that initiate the explosion a certain amount of time after the first bounce? What counter is being talked about?

hry
April 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM
cad's death?

DarkHalo003
April 17th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Isn't he talking about the timer that's in the tags that initiate the explosion a certain amount of time after the first bounce? What counter is being talked about?
You are correct. He thinks what I mean by timer is the display that keeps track of the distance between the gun and the grenade.

Halcyon, in HCE's engine the tag for the projectile has a property that is dubbed "timer starts immediately" and a property that is called "timer starts after first bounce." The "Timer" is the property in the HCE engine that designates the time after which an explosion of the projectile will occur. For example, if I set the timer to "immediately" and set the timer's counter to 3, then the projectile will explode after 3 seconds (or if it hits a material that is marked with 'detonate') after leaving the weapon. However, 'after first bounce' is an enigma to me because it doesn't actually mean "after the first bounce of the projectile to a collideable surface." I think someone knows what it actually means here, but I recall someone saying it's just a broken part of the CE engine.

Warsaw
April 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Applies to needler, maybe? I don't think I've seen a needle bounce more than once in Halo CE.

Dwood
April 18th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Applies to needler, maybe? I don't think I've seen a needle bounce more than once in Halo CE.

Applies specifically to the grenades. The timer before they explode starts after they bounce 1 time.

DarkHalo003
April 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Applies specifically to the grenades. The timer before they explode starts after they bounce 1 time.
How do grenades work and where is their source? I've looked endlessly in tags surrounding them (and the tags themselves) and have failed to identify what makes the grenade different than other projectiles (besides it being a key part of globals). Is it in the globals that allows it such a decent function?

Needler needles actually of a detonation timer either by distance or by time (i'm positive it's distance). They can bounce once and then attach/detonate because of how the materials are set up (they should continuously bounce if they had no timer and were in a room of metal-thick or hunter shield).

Patrickssj6
April 20th, 2011, 08:43 AM
It's hardcoded into the engine...just like you can't pickup a warthog as a weapon :P

DarkHalo003
April 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM
It's hardcoded into the engine...just like you can't pickup a warthog as a weapon :P
:(

I was hoping I could make the projectiles of the Grenade Launcher I was working on more like grenades with that timer starting after first bounce. Are you sure there is no way at least that is possible using any .weapon tag?