PDA

View Full Version : [TF2] Critical Hits: a valuable addition or just fucking annoying?

Pooky
August 20th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I've heard a lot of different opinions on crits in TF2. Some people think it adds to the gameplay balance. Others think they're just fucking annoying and want them to go away. Personally, I like the idea of critical hits, I just don't think the way they're implemented is really the best.

Ki11a_FTW
August 20th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I like them because i know that it wont require much more hits to kill them

Timo
August 20th, 2008, 03:09 AM
The only crits I hate receiving are crit rockets, everything else is fine.

ultama121
August 20th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I really haven't had any complaints in the area of crits.

Jelly
August 20th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Crits are fine, but the game would still be the same without them.

Bodzilla
August 20th, 2008, 05:49 AM
the only one i really had problems with the long ranged back burner crits, due to critical hits having more accuracy and greater range.

Other then that the only time i face palm is where i come around a blind corner and get critted like 3 times in a row. then it's like AWW C"MON!

Terin
August 20th, 2008, 08:24 AM
They make the game interesting. Sometimes you'll get a crit rocket to the face, sometimes you crit at a great time and get a killing spree.

Evil_Monkey
August 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I personally like crits and that the game would be the same without them.

Botolf
August 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Crits ftw, they add an "oh shit" element to combat.

Sever
August 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Once you add in chance to a skill-based game, it just screws with it. Hence, the geniuses in charge of making the game engineered it so that crits in TF2 aren't chance-based, and instead act as rewards for players who are doing well. I love getting crit syringes after a series of successful assists as a paired medic.

Pooky
August 20th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Once you add in chance to a skill-based game, it just screws with it. Hence, the geniuses in charge of making the game engineered it so that crits in TF2 aren't chance-based, and instead act as rewards for players who are doing well. I love getting crit syringes after a series of successful assists as a paired medic.

There's always a random chance, you just increase your chance by doing more damage. That's why you can get a crit rocket as your first shot out of spawn, and that's one of the things I hate about the system.'

Honestly though, none of you guys despise getting killed by a crit when you know that without it you would have gotten the bastard?

Terin
August 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
"He may have won the battle, but he didn't win the war."

I don't rage on about a single death. I'll respawn, I'll get him back, and I'll keep playing. I've never seen/can recall when crits have won a game. (except when I saw a soldier on 2-2 Goldrush. Crit rocket + Crit Shovel saved the point at the last second. But that's just one game out of thousands. :P)

Botolf
August 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Honestly though, none of you guys despise getting killed by a crit when you know that without it you would have gotten the bastard?
It honestly doesn't bother me that much. Chances are in the future you'll get a few favorable crits in a fight that you would have lost otherwise.

Pooky
August 21st, 2008, 04:10 PM
"He may have won the battle, but he didn't win the war."

I don't rage on about a single death. I'll respawn, I'll get him back, and I'll keep playing. I've never seen/can recall when crits have won a game. (except when I saw a soldier on 2-2 Goldrush. Crit rocket + Crit Shovel saved the point at the last second. But that's just one game out of thousands. :P)

Crit SMGs win games :\

a second of crit SMG can take down a heavy, less can take down anything else. And crit bursts are always longer than a second.

Pope
August 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Crit SMGs win games :\

a second of crit SMG can take down a heavy, less can take down anything else. And crit bursts are always longer than a second.

That's the biggest hyperbole I've ever seen. Crit SMG is not that good. SMG = worst gun in the game, if you're killed by it...That's embarrassing.

It's apart of the game. I think it's unique and adds a different element than Generic Shooter #4. This thread seems to be a lot about bitching on how crits kill you when you don't realize you get crits as well, therefore giving equal chance to own them.

Pooky
August 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
That's the biggest hyperbole I've ever seen. Crit SMG is not that good. SMG = worst gun in the game, if you're killed by it...That's embarrassing.

Why hello there newb.

Pope
August 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Why hello there newb.
Bawwwww someone needs to -rep retaliate to feel good?

I enough hours in as a sniper to realize to know what the SMG can do and I sure as hell don't take down heavies with it.

Btw, if I'm so "ad hominem," please care to show your evidence because I'm pretty sure I can get most people to agree with me. Next to the pistol I can't even name a worse weapon than the SMG.

I can wait.

CN3089
August 21st, 2008, 10:37 PM
Why hello there newb.
lol look at dis nub http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/emot-xd.gif

seriously if you get killed by an SMG you should pretty much just uninstall http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/mmmhmm.gif

Pooky
August 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Bawwwww someone needs to -rep retaliate to feel good?

I enough hours in as a sniper to realize to know what the SMG can do and I sure as hell don't take down heavies with it.

Btw, if I'm so "ad hominem," please care to show your evidence because I'm pretty sure I can get most people to agree with me. Next to the pistol I can't even name a worse weapon than the SMG.

I can wait.

This thread seems to be a lot about bitching on how crits kill you when you don't realize you get crits as well, therefore giving equal chance to own them.

The snipers who play on the same servers as you guys must really suck.

Before the elitist bullshit gets out of hand in here, I think I'll just close this.