PDA

View Full Version : okay, what's the deal

Rob Oplawar
February 27th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I can't seem to figure it out for myself, because all I can get is more and more conflicting reports. What is the limit on the size of a BSP? The HEK tutorial says 50,000 for a multiplayer map, but that's total polys drawn per scene, not the BSP poly limit. When I build a cache file in tool, it gives me an error if the total bsp size plus the total size of all the tags used in the bsp exceeds 23 or 24 megabytes. I made a BSP that was 70,000 polys, and it displayed all funky in Sapien, presumably because it was too complex (portals didn't affect the problem) and caused Halo CE to crash. Then again, I keep hearing from people that the limit is around 200,000 polys. I'll be quite frustrated if that's the case and I've been making some obvious mistake, because I'v just finished reducing the only BSP I'd finished to 50,000 polygons, from probably twice that. BUt I still want to know, how big can I make my map, and will I have to trade scenery objects and such for more complexity?

-Rob

Edit: P.S.
sorry for posting so many new threads in such a short time, seems a kinda iffy thing to do. I'll slow down a bit now =P

Jayden
February 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM

LlamaMaster
February 27th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Is that with or without a hacked tool?

Roostervier
February 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Based on the number, it seems like a non hacked tool to me.

Rob Oplawar
February 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I can't use a hacked tool, because whatever limit is there exists in the game engine too, and I can't require everyone who plays the map to have a hacked halo.
Anyway, I guess I'm just going to stick with 50,000 per BSP, just to be safe. That's probably preferable in terms of playability for people who don't have an 8800, lol, but I really hate messing up my geometry to fit the limit.
-Rob

LlamaMaster
February 27th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I can't use a hacked tool, because whatever limit is there exists in the game engine too, and I can't require everyone who plays the map to have a hacked halo.
Anyway, I guess I'm just going to stick with 50,000 per BSP, just to be safe. That's probably preferable in terms of playability for people who don't have an 8800, lol, but I really hate messing up my geometry to fit the limit.
-Rob
Everyone shouldn't have to have the hacked tool or halo to play your map, look at coldsnap. From what iv'e heard coldsnap was way over but was still possible with a hacked tool.

PlasbianX
February 27th, 2007, 09:33 PM
No deal howie, no deal.

Neuro Guro
February 27th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I said on aim that someone made a MAP around 200,000 faces , but it was divided into seperate bsps , wasnt 200,000 in a single bsp.

Rob Oplawar
February 28th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Ah okay gatcha. Well, back to the grind. Friggin hate this 50 k poly limit. I wonder if it will be higher in H2vista.
-Rob

rossmum
February 28th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Vaguely related, are there any source modders here who know the restrictions on that? Because there's this whole epic project thing I've got going and I get the feeling CE will quite plainly shit itself, even with multiple BSPs or multiple LEVELS... :|

Atty
February 28th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Source can handle a lot. I doubt you'll find yourself trying to do something source couldn't handle.

Spartan000
March 1st, 2007, 06:28 AM
If 50K was the poly limit, then some maps would never see halo, and that is a fact...

about source, ross, it's not about if source can handle it, it's about if the PC won't blow up when that project is loaded, heh, you would have to actually watch out considering some of those DELL laptops lol.