PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Meet Job.

Chainsy
August 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Meet Job. Hes not your everyday spartan. How you might ask? Well Job is the only spartan to ever have been recruited into the training program at age 17.
Job is the protagonist of series 1 of a comic book series currently in the works. The series will be titled "The Book of Job" and will have sub titles of the episode, ect.
Its set in a time during the halo wars, when spartans numbered in thousands, but only a few stood above the rest. Job is one of them, and in this it views from Job's first person, in his log book he wrote in everyday of the events of the war. Thing is, if anyone is interested, I would love to have people who can plot and storyboard to help me create a thrilling tale, and other artists to lend a hand. But without further to do here is spartan 4567, Job.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/sweetcopy-1.jpg
Higher res image:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/sweetcopy.jpg

Malloy
August 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
intruging :D

The_Wraith
August 28th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the Spartans measured in the hundreds...not thousands. Why the fuck is his name Job...and how could he be 17? All Spartans were trained at about 5-6. People messing with Halo canon...despicable.

On that note the picture looks good except that the splashed mud on his upper arm/body looks unnatural.

ICEE
August 28th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Job holds smgs with extended stock? HERESY

Chainsy
August 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Which is exactly why I need a storyboarder, and thats why hes the only one at age 17...
I just have no idea why yet.
Mud isnt mud, more of sea weed gunk hanging off of him.

Malloy
August 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
He's a UNCS drug trial teen in which the drug forces te body to reach the same sort of physical attributes the likes of a late 30's early 40's aged chief would have?

and through this teens struggles with this drug and the UNCS's expectations, a story will unfold of marvelous strife and challenges for young 'Job' to overcome.

e: or the UNCS were playin around with flood genes in which they found how to manipulate muscle growth and progression.

, luls

Chainsy
August 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Oh no, hes not 17 now, in the comics hes 29, but he somehow got into the spartan training program at 17...I just dont know how yet.

Malloy
August 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM
that shat on my mat then

Chainsy
August 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Im surprised no one noticed the pun of my title. Say it out loud...youll get it.
But anyways look up on google the book of job, and youll get why I named him that. Its an allusion to the bible, just like john 117. Its also not pronounced "job" like working hours job. But I thought people wouldnt know that so it would make the title a funny little pun.

Heathen
August 28th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I typed this huge sugggestion. It got fucked up in posting. I hate you now. I dont care if its not fair.

And wasn't it supposed to be obvious? I noticed it, I just figured it was...supposed to be obvious and not secretly clever.

Snowy
August 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I think Job had a bad case of diarrhea.

Kalub
August 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Lame bible allusion....

Why not give him a real name; like Steve.

Bastinka
August 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Or why not use more detailed strokes, and make better concept's art..

I mean it's really not detailed, very low rez and proportions and body figure are off. The drawing looks very 3d and fails to present a solid shape and shows lack of skill or lack of effort. SMG looks very undetailed and blurry like everything else, yet again no defined shape.

Kalub
August 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Or why not use more detailed strokes, and make better concept's art..

I mean it's really not detailed, very low rez and proportions and body figure are off. The drawing looks very 3d and fails to present a solid shape and shows lack of skill or lack of effort. SMG looks very undetailed and blurry like everything else, yet again no defined shape.

Thats a contradiction(3D is a very definitive perspective[An illusion of depth], and it must have shape or you couldn't make it out to be '3d'), as of now I would call it a rough-in. You could easily make it look better with some contrast in colors, highs, shadows, ect. Lets call it a WIP.

Apoc4lypse
August 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Thats a contradiction(3D is a very definitive perspective[An illusion of depth], and it must have shape or you couldn't make it out to be '3d'), as of now I would call it a rough-in. You could easily make it look better with some contrast in colors, highs, shadows, ect. Lets call it a WIP.

I agree, and it probably is. I don't understand why people around here always need to give someone a hard time. I personally could care less how well it fits in with the story, I mean I'm a halo fan, pretty hardcore too, but I'm not such a nut that I would be annoyed with him saying thousands vs 100's of Spartans... plus I didn't finish reading the fall of reach, I will eventually, but I just don't have the time. I have a life and stuff to do.

How ever I might be interested in this, not sure to what level of help you would need but some minor things maybe. I'm mostly good with environment related drawings, I need help with drawing people still, I plan on taking a figure drawing class eventually, as well as a color theory class. (I've colored some things but I probably could use a lot of help here).

But rough sketches of stuff like environments, and maybe just drawing basic figures for storyboard purposes I could probably do, I'd just like to make it clear that I have a busy schedule though, I'm starting college sept 3rd so yeah...

Once I get around to scanning some of my current drawings I'll show you what I can do, if you don't like it then its what ever, but I've always been interested in trying to help out with making a comic.

As for coming up with actually story tho, well like I said, I didn't read all the books, and I'd rather not, I can make suggestions maybe.

jngrow
August 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Well you drew an O.K outline of Job, and chose decent colors, but it looks really sloppy/unprofessional/undefined. And the scribbles are just way too obvious. And yeah, diarrhea.

Chainsy
August 30th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Ok, started on the antagonist roles, as I already know the protagonists, and I would like for you to meet the main face of the antagonists, Marx.
Marx has a complicated history, but that will be explained in the comic, he is the older brother of half jaw, and the story will feature characters from the game and will intertwine with the actual storyline. (for example, a younger tarturus will be in this comic). He is the orator of the 2nd covenant fleet, and commander of the capitol ship "The Adversary". Other antagonists will include 2 new prophets, the flood, marx's bodyguards, and the 2nd covenant fleet.
The body is still in production, as I might be giving him some sort of cripple, I do not know yet, but here is a quick buff of his head.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/marxcopy-1.jpg

Bastinka
August 30th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Why would elites have piercings going through their armor, the neck is completely wrong and yet again the blurry brush. The head is all wrong and your shading makes him look a bit weird.

EDIT: Forgot to.. :gonk:

Roostervier
August 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Ok, started on the antagonist roles, as I already know the protagonists, and I would like for you to meet the main face of the antagonists, Marx.
Marx has a complicated history, but that will be explained in the comic, he is the older brother of half jaw, and the story will feature characters from the game and will intertwine with the actual storyline. (for example, a younger tarturus will be in this comic). He is the orator of the 2nd covenant fleet, and commander of the capitol ship "The Adversary". Other antagonists will include 2 new prophets, the flood, marx's bodyguards, and the 2nd covenant fleet.
The body is still in production, as I might be giving him some sort of cripple, I do not know yet, but here is a quick buff of his head.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/marxcopy-1.jpgIt doesn't... really look that good at all. I don't like the earrings on his mandibles, for starters. Also, your brush strokes are pretty meh. You need to take time to define more of the bigger details too, to give it more depth. It looks flat and hard to distinguish between certain features.

Chainsy
August 30th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Why would elites have piercings going through their armor, the neck is completely wrong and yet again the blurry brush. The head is all wrong and your shading makes him look a bit weird.

Why wouldn't they have piercings, you seem to forget hes a commander of a ship and an orator, hes not going to be in the front of battle.
It was meant for the neck to be taken in, i just added that in last 5 minutes for finalizing.
The brush is the first default brush in the brush set for cs3, blame them if you hate blurry.
Why don't you go to a concepting site and see some how a lot of stuff is blurred, its painting, not detailed outlines and textures like you seem to think it is.
Another thing please tell me how shading is weird when I barely added any.
It always makes me angry to see in another studio thread someone like boba sketching a fucking tree plane lizard or a 2d paper art and get praised for it ( no offense boba, I like your stuff, just using you as an example)
I have only been doing photoshop for less then a year, and this painting is completely new grounds for me. I want to expand form the boring black and white pencil drawings I can do quite well at, and get into something much bigger.
Cant you have the decency to respect that?

Kalub
August 30th, 2008, 11:21 PM

>_> You have no idea how to paint do you.... Start big/blurry, and work to small/detail. Rough-in's shouldn't look like a million bucks.

Chainsy
August 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Eh... All he is doing is harassing for the sake of harassing...
Just got red rep form him saying faggot get the fuck out, except he misspelled faggot. :\
Baggot anyone?
edit: oh wai- he spelled it right, my bad eyes at work again.

Roostervier
August 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM
It always makes me angry to see in another studio thread someone like boba sketching a fucking tree plane lizard or a 2d paper art and get praised for it I don't see what that has to do with it? Boba's stuff is creative, and he knows how to shade well and overall he's good at what he does. His drawings are also very crisp. Now, what did Silent just complain about? Orite, poor shading and blurry brushes. It isn't the developers of cs3's fault that you chose the blurry brush. Also, why didn't you add any shading? It would have made it so much better. See, that's why boba gets praise for what he does. He doesn't post things 1/3 finished.

Bastinka
August 30th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Ok the way you worded that I suggest..
Use a different brush if you're gonna use the default brush as an excuse, seriously that's completely daft.
Don't make up an idiot story to every drawing you make, the story doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Seriously.. 2 new prophets?
It's not concepting, there is no such thing as concepting. Concept art is just a concept drawing of something, someone or someshit.
The commanders of ships do not have piercings, none of the covenant have piercings... not even the brutes or the pirates that are Jackals.Seriously if you're going to blame boba, his art is beautiful and can actually wear the tags of 'concept' and 'art' proudly while you fail to represent or display any means of proper drawing or shading. Learn shading before going into more detailed drawings. What I meant by the shading is wrong is the way you portrayed the light source is very odd.

It's not disrespect, its criticism. Listen to a song called 'Respect Yourself' and you'll see eye to eye with me.. or hopefully understand how sound in your post.

EDIT:

>_> You have no idea how to paint do you.... Start big/blurry, and work to small/detail. Rough-in's shouldn't look like a million bucks.
On the contrary, in the words of a couple art teachers I had: there is really no correct or incorrect way of painting.

Chainsy
August 30th, 2008, 11:29 PM
It was a rough in, and I didn't choose blurry brush, and no it isn't their fault, and I was using boba as an example. I can draw paper art extremely well, but I choose to go out of my comfort zone and get better at something else. Yet it gets annoying to get harassed by people like silent wind, telling me I suck and neg repping me, then boba happily sitting in his and getting praised.
No I'm not saying boba sucks, hes quite good, but what I am saying is that at least respect me for that I am trying and after all this crap Ive gone through am still working and posting.

Kalub
August 30th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Ok, this is a underwater mask thing I doodled one day, its only 2d because I fail at perspective. This is the front view.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6929/doodlejq9.jpg

Notice how the cheek bones are way more defined than the upper sections? Its because I roughed it in, and then worked with the colors, shades, and hues to get the lighting I wanted on it.

But, it took time. Its why I stopped half way through. So give him a chance to finish before you start comparing it to a piece of art someone has spent weeks on.

Chainsy
August 30th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Thank you kalub.

Bastinka
August 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM
It was a rough in, I see
and I didn't choose blurry brush, why didnt you choose?
and no it isn't their fault, thats right.
and I was using boba as an example. I can draw paper art extremely well, provide back-up proof before making those claims.
but I choose to go out of my comfort zone and get better at something else. well theres no problem with that.
Yet it gets annoying to get harassed by people like silent wind, telling me I suck and neg repping me, then boba happily sitting in his and getting praised. so you're jealous of boba? really grow up. compare your art to his.
No I'm not saying boba sucks, hes quite good, but what I am saying is that at least respect me for that I am trying and after all this crap Ive gone through am still working and posting. what crap have you gone through? boo hoo we're not harassing you just giving criticism, and don't act like a butthurt baby. theres no mom or dad in the forum or in real life.

[00:29] SnoopDogg132332: if that dumb CENSORED just started then why wouldnt he make more concepts before making a fucking comic book, or a project similarly as large

Well gee, sorry for being rude but the daft do not deserve kindness. For the last time like I stated, post something finish instead of making quick sketches and hoping for them to be praised.

Kalub
August 30th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Also, who ever said he wanted criticism on the drawings? And yet who assumed it?

Bastinka
August 30th, 2008, 11:43 PM
He didn't have to take it you know, ignoring is easy. I'm done before the mods Zeph handcuffs me again.

Roostervier
August 30th, 2008, 11:45 PM
But, it took time. Its why I stopped half way through. So give him a chance to finish before you start comparing it to a piece of art someone has spent weeks on.This is really my only problem with him. Aside from the excuse making, he doesn't take time. He brought up boba's artwork. Boba almost never posts artwork that is only half way finished. He finishes it first, then posts it. Is that really so hard to do? It's fairly difficult not to say something that you only put a few minutes of work into sucks, because it really isn't good. If it's not an accurate measure of your skill level, then why don't you finish something first, and post it? That way, we can tell if you're any good or not.

Kalub
August 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Because he was more concerned with the story, and character development. He just wanted to throw out a quick sketch to say, "Hay world, I'ma drawin the dudes now." Although he never asked for Crit on anything other than the Character/Story.

And comparing is something we do everyday, just think about it. Not saying he wasn't in the wrong thinking he deserved the praise, but this thread originally wasn't about that.

We've just gone a bit off topic, lets try to get back on.

Heathen
August 30th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Also, who ever said he wanted criticism on the drawings? And yet who assumed it?

Not to be a smartass or to point out the blatantly obvious, but isnt that the point of a forum?

Kalub
August 31st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Not necessarily, he only wanted criticism on the story and character development. Not the images.

Heathen
August 31st, 2008, 12:25 AM
He wanted crit on his Comic and for the most part, comics are art. I dont want to start a feud with you because I have no reason to hate you Kalub.

We cool?

Kalub
August 31st, 2008, 12:32 AM
Fo reel hommie, I'm just giving him some support.

Boba
August 31st, 2008, 01:08 AM
I sit on my ass while I get 'praised'? Snaf and Tweek kick my ass to hell and back at every minor mistake in a drawing, and I respect them to death for it. The real criticism goes on over IM, where I can get in depth with them. And you criticize me for using paper? Guess what, I can't afford a tablet; I'm dirt poor. You know what not having a tablet means? I don't get to go back and edit an old drawing, I have to do hundreds of drawings a week to make any progress what-so-ever. Settle down, I am an exentric person and I am passonate about what I do. Anyway, before you tackle something this big, you'll have to do some other things:

- Practice. A lot.
- Don't post unfinished work.
- Get some crit from close friends.

Chainsy
August 31st, 2008, 10:03 AM
I agree with all of that except last part. I dont ask close friends for crit because ussually theyre biased towards me, and will only say "looks good".
I also know how you feel boba, the only way I got this tablet was because an old friend of mine got a new one and didnt need this old crappy one.
Ive reached my limit on penciling without oging to school, which I cant afford, so Im trying to move onto a different medium. I dont want praise, I just want people like Silent wind to have the decency to respect me, Im fine with crit, but when saying faggout fuck off, that doesnt neccesarily help me, now does it?
Update:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/marxcopy-2-1.jpg

Roostervier
August 31st, 2008, 10:15 AM
I agree with all of that except last part. I dont ask close friends for crit because ussually theyre biased towards me, and will only say "looks good".
I also know how you feel boba, the only way I got this tablet was because an old friend of mine got a new one and didnt need this old crappy one.
Ive reached my limit on penciling without oging to school, which I cant afford, so Im trying to move onto a different medium. I dont want praise, I just want people like Silent wind to have the decency to respect me, Im fine with crit, but when saying faggout fuck off, that doesnt neccesarily help me, now does it?
Update:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/marxcopy-2-1.jpg
Muuuch easier to distinguish what's what. I still disagree with the idea of the piercings but at least now you can get an idea of shape.

Limited
August 31st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Silentwind, in drawing you built up, you start with a base, then add shape/highlights/dark areas, you dont suddenly go in with passive amounts of detail.

I thought the MC was sick, and the elite just posted is an improvement yeah.

Whats the deal with boba vs this? Boba's art style is completely different to this. Different techniques, different approaches.

Heathen
August 31st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Looks MUUUUCH better. Still....piercings? Try something more covie.

Bastinka
August 31st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Much better, piercings still make him look odd. The helmet looks sort of flat though. It looks a bit out of proportion to me.

Chainsy
August 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM
I am not basing how the elites look off of in the current halo games. The design of the halo war's elites look so much better, so I'm basing how my elites look on that (ie: Bigger, meaner, and muscular, I also want to give them a more ferocious appearance). Marx is special that in that he has many connections to the brutes, and tends to act more like them then like the self controlled, normal elites.
Also the idea where I got the piercings is that the prophets have piercings so I got the idea of how the higher in the hierarchy you are, the more extravagant you have to look to fit the job.

Heathen
August 31st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Mmm...I can accept that I guess. Make him raised mostly by brutes and give him a brute name. Marx is kinda brutey though.

Bastinka
August 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM
:|

Story is still weird IMO. I've never seen a prophet with piercings, or atleast my eye didn't catch it?

Chainsy
August 31st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Check their ears, big hoop rings.
Edit: Prophet of Regret has them.

Chainsy
August 31st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Ok, sorry for double post, but either late tonight or tomorrow Ill post a sample strip to see what style I should go for.

Zeph
August 31st, 2008, 08:59 PM
:facepalm:

Bad Waffle
August 31st, 2008, 09:39 PM
i like the piercings. Come on people, if you follow the mold too closely, whats custom about it?

Hotrod
August 31st, 2008, 10:46 PM
It's just that the piercings don't look good on an Elite, that's all. Sure, it's creative, and custom, but it's better to have something that looks good, and isn't all that creative, than something that looks bad, but is creative, especially if it's a fan-made story of an already existing Universe. It'd be like giving Spartans Butterfly wings on their armor, or giving Prophets leather jackets. It just doesn't fit.

As for the quality of the work, it's quite good, keep it up.

Heathen
August 31st, 2008, 11:00 PM
I say go further than just piercings. Give him a tatoo and an eyepatch.

No srsly.

Bastinka
August 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM
On a brute that would look fine, but on an elite... :/

Apoc4lypse
September 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I say go further than just piercings. Give him a tatoo and an eyepatch.

No srsly.

Agreed with heavily...

I love the idea of doing stuff like this, it makes the characters seem more like, real I guess, idk... like in halo in the games and stuff, we all saw the same thing over and over, none of the elites really distinguish them selves from others. The piercings help establish a bit of personality, like ther more distinguished. In the game tho its a givin that they just cant do that sort of stuff when they have a certain ammount of resources to utilize, and would rather not waste them.

I agree tho, but I think hes fine with just the piercings, maybe more when we see the rest of him possibly, but don't go overboard.

I'd love to see tatoo's tho... maybe even some "branding" marks, or id's, like maybe one of the elite characters was in some sort of crazy alien prison camp, you kno? It helps create more of a back story to the characters.

Chainsy
September 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM
The story is already set up, I'm just stalking up on comics for it so I can release a steady flow. One of his bodyguards has tattoos, the other one has something more...interesting.

NuggetWarmer
September 6th, 2008, 09:19 PM
The piercings are fine. Leave them.

Malloy
September 6th, 2008, 09:27 PM
piercings ftw... add that elite tribal element too.

Chainsy
September 14th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Yes, I am still working on this, and as for a quick update Ill show a sketch of the elite honor generals. The honor generals are the personal bodyguards of
Chancellor Reg, supreme commander of covenant forces. Basically he is the main body leader for the elites. I have a concept of him done, but I wont post him till later for he still needs tweaking. The honor generals are the best, and the brightest elites who worked their way up to honor guard, and were hand picked by Reg to become his bodyguards. They are then brainwashed to be fighting machines, completely retrained to an ancient skill, which will be described in the comic. They come out the most lethal killing machines ever to go against humanity, and will follow orders to a fault. They have 2 types of armor, the normal ceremonial/ combat one (shown in picture below) and a pure black one. The honor generals also serve as personal assassins to Reg and will don the black armor when on one of these missions. They can block out pain, and even if a limb is cut off, they will continue to fight until they are dead or immobile. 2 can easy take care of spartan and tend to use ambushes then to just straight out charge. More info will be given out later to the subject of these bodyguards when I show reg, but without further ado, here is a quick sketch of one of them.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/honorgaurdcopy-1.jpg

DaneO'Roo
September 14th, 2008, 06:08 AM
If your gunna have piercings, fuck conventional rings. Maybe chains with the tags of all the marines he's killed?

Chainsy
September 14th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Actually I am doing something of the sort, except it will be on his hip, and it won't be marine tags..... :)

Malloy
September 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
better not be totally un-covey like, like the marines heads or thumbs on chains.

Chainsy
September 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Uh.... no. It's going to be the helmets of Spartans he has killed.
Also I decided to paint a quick example of Marx's capital ship, the Adversary. In this depiction, Marx is finishing a final clean up glass of Harvest.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/Untitled-1copy-1.jpg

Rooster
September 14th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Thats mind boglingly awsome. However, all your drawing look... cartoony. I think it may be the overwealming use of brite collors. Dont get me wront, its still beautiful. Its just that, i want to see you try newer things.

I dont know anything about photoship, so i am very ignorant in these areas.

Malloy
September 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
the helmets are of a 1000 pound armour piece, i dont think an elite could take that much extra weight.

Chainsy
September 14th, 2008, 07:08 PM
You obviously have not seen Marx yet.

rossmum
September 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Helmets are way too far IMO, stick with something small. No intelligent life form, no matter how beefy, would lug all that shit around. They wouldn't even consider it in combat, and that's not to mention the helmets are quite large, quite awkward, and would make it physically impossible to creep around because they'd be clanging into each other.

Make it something less insane, either tags or perhaps a single, small square of the suits. Not a full component.

Chainsy
September 14th, 2008, 11:28 PM
But Marx is basically a commander of a fleet of covenant forces, hes not going to be sneaking around or attacking anytime soon. He generally stays on his ship and commands his men. It was either that or maybe he has a spartan serial ID code, which is an identification tag stamped on a small plate on their back armor. For example John 117 would say 117 John. But hes not infantry or a front lines of attack, he leaves that to the underlings.

rossmum
September 15th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Then use the ID tag, even if I was lord god king of the universe I wouldn't carry huge pieces of powered armour around

Bad Waffle
September 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
i say go with a ripped out piece of the spartans undersuit.

jngrow
September 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah dude, unless he has the biggest fucking waist in the world galaxy, that just won't work.

Malloy
September 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
http://www.halowars.com/images/screenshots/brute_1024b.jpg

sorta looks like this armour.

Chainsy
September 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
The honor generals? Because Marx suit is white and has 2 under jaw armor that covers his overbite.

Chainsy
September 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Ok, decided today in my down time to work a bit on the human side of the story. Meet Raymond, one of the three Odst that will be followed in the story. Raymond is the youngest out of the three, but is also the most battle hardened, and is considered the leader of the "group". Raymond and job were stationed on the flagship that will be featured in the book (name of ship is currently under revision) and quickly grew a friendship between the two. This is early character development, and the reason I am showing this is for advice on something very important: the facial feature or detail that separates him as an icon in the story. As you can see, he has a scar running down his face, but that is so worn out that I need something new. The main reason I even chose a scar to begin with is because I want him to have this innocent, young face, yet have a defined, set feature that shows that he has seen the horrors of war and behind his face is soul that is anything but innocent. So for a placeholder as I said I put a scar, but it really needs something different. Anyways heres a quick facial sketch (body will be like most Odsts, can not make him too different, as this is the military).
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/Untitled-2-1.jpg

Chainsy
October 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Poster.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/nightofthecovenantcopy.png

Geo
October 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
The head is to small for the rest of the body in my opinion.

Snowy
October 15th, 2008, 07:54 AM
The body is too big for the head imo.

Chainsy
October 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Ok, decided today in my down time to work a bit on the human side of the story. Meet Raymond, one of the three Odst that will be followed in the story. Raymond is the youngest out of the three, but is also the most battle hardened, and is considered the leader of the "group". Raymond and job were stationed on the flagship that will be featured in the book (name of ship is currently under revision) and quickly grew a friendship between the two. This is early character development, and the reason I am showing this is for advice on something very important: the facial feature or detail that separates him as an icon in the story. As you can see, he has a scar running down his face, but that is so worn out that I need something new. The main reason I even chose a scar to begin with is because I want him to have this innocent, young face, yet have a defined, set feature that shows that he has seen the horrors of war and behind his face is soul that is anything but innocent. So for a placeholder as I said I put a scar, but it really needs something different. Anyways heres a quick facial sketch (body will be like most Odsts, can not make him too different, as this is the military).
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/Untitled-2-1.jpg
Still need help on this detail.

thehoodedsmack
October 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I have no idea WHY Raymond and Job would be chilling. Spartans aren't exactly the friendliest fellas. Instead of having them meet stationed on a ship, maybe do something like: Raymond was part of Job's crew while on some mission against the Covenant to retrieve some Forerunner yadda yadda, one of them ends up saving the other, therefore life debt, or, I don't know, something a little jazzier.

As for his scar, facial streak scars are terribly overused. You could still focus on the eyes, maybe something like, Raymond witnessed some exploding Forerunner tech, now his eyes are pale and covered in heiroglyphics. It might also work for how the two met, ie. ONI wants to study Raymond, meets up with Job during his stay, maybe while Job was getting augmented or something.

The possibilities are endless!

Chainsy
October 18th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Ok, after finalizing what would separate him, (it plays a big part in the story so I will not divulge) I went on to start painting a concept for a new type of covenant cruiser when while working on it, it suddenly gave me a huge idea on an elite design for the comic, thus having me stop the painting and draw a quick sketch before I lost it.
Introducing elite infiltrators. These are the shock troopers of the elite world, and are deployed behind enemy lines to do major damage. Simply stated when theres a situation that is too tough for regular elites to handle, but not important enough to send a pair of hunters out (For example, a squad of stubborn odsts encamping a basin) they will be sent in to take them out. Also used when hunters are too noisy or not mobile enough, the elites are trained in silent infiltration and kills. Using unpredictable improvised tactics centered around a control point in which they want to capture, they drop in on that point and fan out, pushing the enemy out. They were discontinued shortly before the events on Halo 1 as the experimental training literally drove them insane and to have violent mood swings in which they might kill off their whole squad while waiting for orders. When maneuverable elites were again needed, they improvised off the design of the infiltrator to create a lighter, more defensive version, which were dubbed elite rangers, though elite rangers use their jet packs in sustained flight, infiltrators tend to use theirs to either have a huge boost in speed or to jump to great heights, though if needed they can hold sustained flight when dropping into an area. So I just wanted to post a rough design sketch to see how you liked it, it is pretty vague, I know, and I will provide a more detailed, painted one later one, as this one was just to document the idea and keep it fresh, but I thought it would be a good idea to see what you think on the design and looks.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/rangersketch.png

thehoodedsmack
October 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Looks like some sort of rock monster. It's interesting.

Hotrod
October 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hmm, not too bad there, good concept, for both the backstory and the design.