PDA

View Full Version : [COMPLETE] My Forum

klange
August 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
So while most of you guys spend all your time shitposting on Modacity and making horrible awesome models, some of us spend months in front of a text editor, a web browser, and a SQL query browser painstakingly building, from scratch, a complete and powerful forum system. Or at least that's what I've done for the past few months.

So as not to waste your time, I'll get to the point:
Here's the release announcement for version 1.8, the newest and coolest edition of my forum - PHPwnage (http://phpwnage.com/article.php?id=3).

http://assets.phpwnage.com/pwn18banner.png

And for those wondering why I'm posting here: I can't model worth shit. Even my 2-dimensional graphic design sucks (just look at how shitty my forum themes are). But there's one thing I can do, and that's program, and this is one of the biggest projects I've undertaken, and it's now presentable, so I've come here to the studio so all you fagots knowledgeable and respectable people can observe my work.

As the point of the studio in reference to programming works is to present the code itself for the onslaught of flames critiques that the wonderful community here at Modacity has to offer, I suggest you download one of the many available archive formats and peruse the code in a capable text editor, as there are far too many lines to post here.

Bad Waffle
August 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM
heh, all the crossed out things in your post made me smile. You programmers are always so angsty towards graphic artists ;P

the forum looks snazzy man, it does. Good stuff.

SnaFuBAR
September 1st, 2008, 03:18 AM
forum looks clean, pretty nice.

ultama121
September 1st, 2008, 04:20 AM
/loves it.

Great job.

Limited
September 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
I say ban for advertising...jk

Great job :) Nice work.

Rob Oplawar
September 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
Damn, you beat me to the punch. So you built this from scratch? Nice. Where's the feature list? How much code did it take? How long did it take? Are you the only developer?
BTW, I love the name. ;D

Prepare for stiff competition from my open-source forum system. >=D
But seriously, I'd love to discuss the differences between our forum systems- we might be able to share some valuable insights and such.
Huzzah for PHP!

e: ,':O what is pages.php for? I found a parse error in there:
pages.php: line 23: Unexpected token '[' : if (!isset($user['id']) || $user['level'] < $site_info[['mod_rank']) {

ee: my sources tell me: 6459 lines of code, 543 lines of comment, 547 other, for a total of 7549 lines. Wow, that's surprisingly lightweight. Nice work keeping the source down.

My first glance critique is that you should probably comment some more, for open source code. You should probably have at least twice as many comments, in general. I haven't really looked at the code yet, tho, so idk, maybe your code is clear enough that it doesn't need as many comments.

[a bit ot, don't mean to hijack your thread, so spoiler]For comparison to something that's not lightweight, my forum system is currently 15000 lines, with 3000-4000 lines of comment, depending on how you interpret the formatting. But I'm currently going through a massive rewrite, which should bring down the line count for the forum; but I'm still adding a bunch of features, so the overall code size will probably keep growing.

Anyway, the point is, atm my forum has fewer visible features than yours, so kudos for keeping it so small.

klange
September 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
e: ,':O what is pages.php for? I found a parse error in there:
pages.php: line 23: Unexpected token '[' : if (!isset($user['id']) || $user['level'] < $site_info[['mod_rank']) {

ee: my sources tell me: 6459 lines of code, 543 lines of comment, 547 other, for a total of 7549 lines. Wow, that's surprisingly lightweight. Nice work keeping the source down.
I added some last minute bug fixes, and there was a C+P error. I guess I missed that one when I went to fix it. Pages are actually something in need of a major overhaul.
Come to think of it, I don't have a complete feature list. I'll have to work one up. So far, I'm the only real developer, though three other people have helped out a bit (only one of them providing any code, which I rewrote anyway).

e: Archives have been updated.
e: Your layout confuses the hell out me, lol. My primary goal when I started PHPwnage was to have a working forum, as it was being used live on Oasis-Games.com back when we first started it up in early '07.

Bad Waffle
September 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
e: Your layout confuses the hell out me, lol.

I TOLD YOU ROB.

Rob Oplawar
September 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I agree. I was wrong and you were right, wol. I'm currently reworking it.

AdmiralBacon, I was about to suggest that you try and add some slick features that vbulletin, phpbb, et al don't have, but hell, if you can just make it do the same things they do, the mere fact that it's free and open source should be a huge draw to use it.

Limited
September 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Robs layout, wheres the linky rob?

klange
March 11th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Bump for new release and future updates.

http://wiki.phpwnage.com/images/thumb/6/6f/Logo.svg/200px-Logo.svg.png

Just pushed out version 1.8.3 (http://files.ogunderground.com/phpwnage/1.8.3/), which is a bug fix and the last of the 1.8 series. It doesn't really add all that much, and overall there haven't been many changes since the version I originally posted this topic for.

The real news is that I'll be releasing a development preview (version 1.9) this weekend (it's already up for the desperate) which includes a WYSIWYG editor (much like vBulletin, etc. have had for years; powered by TinyMCE). Overall, the new release is significantly more secure and better structured, but it's just a preview as I'm working on what is nearly a complete rewrite for "2.0" (which will have a template-based theme system and contain no HTML in the functional code).

Also, I finally got myself on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHPwnage). Though the article was pretty much written by me and I coaxed someone else who has always been highly critical of my forum to review it and copy it over.

I've updated my blog (http://ogunderground.com) and the official site (http://phpwnage.com) to the new development release to make use of the WYSIWYG editor.

SnaFuBAR
March 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM
congrats, and i hope it gains popularity :)

MetKiller Joe
March 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
This looks great. Simple and solid, too. I checked O-G's website for a preview.

Rob Oplawar
March 12th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Let me know what that template engine does to your execution time. If it's efficient enough I might steal it for Greeble.

e: Nevermind. I'm just gonna stick with pure PHP and pass around my data structures to template functions.
Looking forward to 2.0! Gimme a link to your alpha, will ya?

Advancebo
March 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM
lol
Greeble vs PHPwnage

Who wins?

klange
March 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
lol
Greeble vs PHPwnage

Who wins?
Greeble is a framework for developing rich web applications.
PHPwnage is a forum and in-place CMS.

They're not in the same race.

Also, Rob has said many times that Greeble is targeted at developers and people who will know what they're doing - it's not made for easy, in-place editing. Right now, Greeble's built-in forum system is non-functioning and most everything you would want to do takes manual edits to the MySQL tables. PHPwnage, on the other hand, was designed from the beginning (Back in 2007) to be functional first, secure second, and well-written and expandable third, so far I've accomplished the first two, so I'm working on the third. Greeble was designed in the opposite direction: Make really good code with really good methodologies, then make it secure, then make it into something that works. Rob has also pretty much completed his first two, and is now working on his third. The difference here? While PHPwnage started out as a horrible, but working product, Greeble is starting out as a non-functioning secure prototype that no one could use. When we both get all three pieces done, we'll see where things go.

tl;dr version:
I followed a brute-force coding method with PHPwnage, creating a working product and then patching it and making it more useful; Rob followed a more methodical approach with Greeble, creating an expandable and secure product, and is now making it work.

Quite seriously tl;dr version of entire post:
Both.