View Full Version : why'd you play CE?

rossmum
March 1st, 2007, 07:34 AM
The whole "custom maps" thing.

NMC, mainly.

Limited
March 1st, 2007, 08:41 AM
Because halo 1 rox..

Halo PC is full of noobs, CE is the way :)

Custom maps is great, I cant even remember first custom one downloaded..

itszutak
March 1st, 2007, 09:46 AM
Pipedream.

I saw a video of it, and since that was the first CE map I'd seen, I was like "OMG CUSTOM CONTENT!"

I continue to play because I recognize people's names <_<;

Varmint260
March 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM
Ermmm... I've had HaloCE for a couple years... first map I remember downloading was either Launch Bay X or some of H2CE's stuff. Probably not the first, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyhoo, I got it because I was LIEK OMG CU$T0M C0NT3NT! And despite its lower player count, I still stuck with it. There's something vaguely unsatisfying about standard HaloPC's multiplayer.

p0lar_bear
March 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
I went onto CE because of two maps: h2_zanzibar and hat_castel2castel.

«TUI» HenTz
March 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
I clearly remember the day i found out about H2_zanzibar , the 2. version of the 3 of them , by H2CE team , i was like ' HALO 2 WOOOOOT OMGO MGOGMOGM TIS ROCK!!!12!7"!¤ ' and that was the first map i downloaded after that i think i got h2_new_mombasa and after it i can't remember..

Love De Lux
March 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM
Whoa, it was...2 years ago i think. I don't remember exactly... I found halo ce via halomods.com, "what's that ?" I downloaded haloCE and some maps : pipedream and h2_, and I was like "zomgzomg wtf custom m4ps pr0 m8 w00t world championz mdr kikou" :lol: But not enough players and eu server, so I stoped a bit...Now I play both halo, regular and ce.

Oh by the way, halo ce forced me to speak english, because I was the only frog out there, and I must say : Thks :D

Rob Oplawar
March 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM
I remember clearly I was watching random Halo videos on HBO, and I came across one titled haloce, which was set to chop suey, no less. It was a twofer for me- I was blown away by the idea of custom content and I decided I needed to look into the band that played that music. System of a Down is my favorite band now. =) First map I think was the mooncrater one, because I'd seen that one most recently in a video before I downloaded HCE.

But now Bridge CE is taking up all my free time, so you could say Halo CE is my life =P

-Rob

k4is3rxkh40s
March 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Hmm..Very good question.

I think I started CE early last year probably during spring or winter break...And being the noob I was, literally the first map I downloaded was ChaosGulch or Yoyorast Island. I think my friend was the one who told me about it and the custom stuff so thats why I was "zomgandsklnsda I need to get it!" But I actually didnt start modeling and etc for CE until around late august-early september.

Hurrvish
March 1st, 2007, 03:04 PM
saw l33ts h2 mod.

end of story

OmegaDragon
March 1st, 2007, 03:05 PM
I started playing because I found a link to halomaps and then i saw all the custom stuff for it.

Arteen
March 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM
Lots of cool maps + online play. I bought Halo PC for CE.

Neuro Guro
March 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Was around since HPC modding use to be the thing then saw halo CE pop up on the front page one day and played it the first day it was out.

CasultyGorge was the first map ever and just the idea that someone could make their own map is what interested me and got me started.

PenGuin1362
March 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
CasultyGorge was the first map ever and just the idea that someone could make their own map is what interested me and got me started.

actually i think swinz or w/e was but yea, same as neuro said. plus i love modeling and putting into ce.

thehoodedsmack
March 1st, 2007, 03:27 PM
..... I still don't know why I'm here......

AiRgUItaR901
March 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hmm

I downloaded CE because I was interested in custom maps.
The first map I downloaded was New Mombassa Classic. I was facinated by the whole H2 weapons thing.
I download it in late August and the second day I got Halo PC!

Chief117
March 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM
I play it because Halo PC doesn't work. I bought the disc, and installed it on my comp. Shortly after a friend sent me a file that allowed me to play Halo without thedisc in the comp. Then I started to get like 13 servers(no filters) on Halo PC. So I reinstalled PC and that didn't work. So I delted the whole Halo, and tried to install again when I realized:I DID NOT RECORD THE CD KEY AND I HAD THROWN OUT THE COVER. S o I was thinkin' I'm and idiot, why didnt i record it. Luckily my dad kept it so I reinstalled it. The problem is now that when I install it, it loads up until 23% then it goes non-responsive on me. So I basically couldn't play Halo PC anymore. Then I heard about Halo custom edition and started playing until where I am today. Oh, and the first map I DLed was Coldsnap, but I didn't know i had to unzip the files and the first map I actually unziped and played what Hugeass.

Pooky
March 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
I downloaded CE on a whim a week or so after it came out. I think the first custom map I bothered getting was Zero Wing

LinkandKvel
March 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM
Variety. #1 main reason. New maps new guns new content everything. I came to Halo CE ever since it came out and been enjoying every minute of it. Now it seems no one likes custom maps anymore :mad:
Anyway it wasn't until later I started modeling.

Xegrot
March 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
I remember seeing my first looks at Halo CE on HaloPlanet and thinking, "Whoa! Cool stuff!" I was overjoyed to see that the content was free, and when I downloaded it, I was ready to get in and see everything that could be done with it. My first map was New Mombasa Classic. Love at first sight XD

I love it because it provides more freedom than the ordinary modding of Halo PC. I remember playing in servers like that way before Halo CE was even heard of. Good stuff, but this is WAY better!

Boba
March 1st, 2007, 05:32 PM
Icetigrus

Stormwing
March 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM
Had been playing Halo Trial since about summer of 2004, maybe even earlier. Modded it a lot, messed around with it, got somewhat good on it. Then I saw an interesting map called "new mombasa classic", and tried to somehow manage to play it...obviously didn't work.
I eventually managed to "obtain" pc/ce around (very) late '04, until i noticed how damn unstable it was...so i just went and bought the real thing - mainly to play CE. Never played PC all that much other than for Campaign.

So, essentially, NMC. :D

...Been playing ever since early 2005.

Random
March 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Hmm, my friends and I were like omfg play halo PC. So I bought a video card for my dell :/ and dl'ed the trial. Then I got the real thing when they got it, but I talked to my other friend who played halo pc and he talked about CE which let you make custom stuff. So I was like omfg I am going to make a warthog with 4 fuel rod cannons and another one with 4 missile launchers. So after I bought PC I never played it and dl'ed CE and the editing kit with no idea of what I was doing with the editing kit. Then I went the halomaps.org and got zanzi and desert island <--(made of fucking win btw). I was like omfg and told my friends to play it and then they got zanzi and we played it. I told them to do an ALT - F4 and they did (owned bitches).

Then I came to the said realization that I don't have the money nor the system to make maps. So I uninstalled hek and just played. Played some Wartorn and then some more Wartorn and then some NMC. Then in some NMC server I joined a clan (XTR) <-- (lulz, but they had a better website then [FBI] :p). In XTR I met that jackrabbit guy who can't type comprehensible sentences, but he was cool to me. Then because I said oh hey I could learn to map, so I reinstalled hek and got 3dsmax 7. And taught myself how to model, but then I didn't know what the middle button was so I couldn't use sapien :(. But I made shitty models for a while. And then the XTR clan fell apart.

After that I stopped moding until Korny released scripting stuff :) <--(epic win) Then I started on making a sync script, and after working on it for A week, I was successful :). I released the script, and didn't do any scripting for months. I focused once again on my playing skills and in a bg game I met mech and shortly after joined the newly formed [FBI] clan (btw mech told me to say that he is a nigger who likes to call other people niggers) I got better at halo at this time, especially after making the wonderful discovery while playing MG's and Neuro's anxiety that if you don't hold the trigger down the shots are more accurate. The difference was night and day, which made me very happy. My modeling skills also improved, and because it was the summer and I had time I modeled my p90 which is still my favorite model.

Then nearing I think the end of summer Leet contacted me about scripting which I had completely forgot about :x, so after a recrash course in hsc I made the terminal script, and then the Midship platform script, and during the midship script development time Peng contacted me about ambush, so I started working on the team biped script, which still isn't done. I also began working on a model of Highgrounds and my current wip Forgotten_Falls. I worked on some other stuff like some gun for boba which is like 10% done and played a little bit more. And then I was bored and made powder to test my snow idea I had when I didn't even have Halo, and had fun with that. Finally I was bored yet again, and asked myself "have I been lied too" "are duel wields really impossible?" and I answered "no >:D *make script time/music* and here I am not as good at halo as I was over the summer (but still damn good tbh >.>) A whole lot better at everything dealing with moding, thinking of building a new computer (screw you dell >:U) for vista and DX10 and still modeling for myself and scripting for everyone that asks (leet's mod, Ambush, Cmt, myself still :x). And to wrap this up I still haven't released anything in the way of a custom map which pisses me off greatly.

And thats the longest post I have ever written, and if you read it, you just read my Halo Autobiography.

Timo
March 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
I saw an article on bungie showing the maps fissure falls, nightcamp, blood islands and a few others; that convinced me to check halo CE out. The article is no longer there, though :-(

Edit: I found it! http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=HEKupdate
Shows how much I can remember from Early 2004 (no date); the maps were Blood Islands, Casualty Gorge and Night Camp. Good stuff.

Atty
March 1st, 2007, 11:47 PM
I can't remember the map but I saw a map with different color portals (it was a snow map.) I thought it was so awesome so I looked around and found out about Halo CE.

Mr Buckshot
March 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
The release of Halo 2 CE prompted me to download Custom Edition for the first time. I never had xbl and never will, so I was excited about free online Halo 2 multiplayer. Wasn't bad either.

First map I dl'ed was Zanzibar. Man, happy days. Still one of my favorite H2 maps that I actually appreciate being in the CE map folder.

JDMFSeanP
March 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
I actually downloaded it to play CMT content, not too long ago really. Id played halo 2 (Before i modded it) and got bored and wanted new halo to play, mainly halo 3 weapons..(which are now in halo 2, yar! lol)

Arteen
March 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
I can't remember the map but I saw a map with different color portals (it was a snow map.) I thought it was so awesome so I looked around and found out about Halo CE.
Frost? (http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=228)

Cortexian
March 2nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
I heard about H2CE and instantly downloaded Halo CE and all the H2CE stuff...

TheGhost
March 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
I was into Halo modding and then I heard about the upcoming release of Halo: Custom Edition so I immediately got into it when it was first released.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
March 2nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
I don't remember. :x

Syuusuke
March 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
I wanted to play these so-called custom maps (like halohq) and I nowadays I like the network.

~ZMT~Trace
March 2nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
i got CE because....well i don't know, but my first downloaded map was Hugeass. Now i just hang around Ce stuff for the drama.

HaloCE, my Drama channel.

Terry
March 2nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
I think I was looking for halo2 for pc and found halo2ce's work. Then I found about about halo ce and prefered its netcode and custom map capabilities over that of the retail version.

Pred1ator
March 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
I play CE because in CE....... ANYTHING is possible (think about it, duel weild hampsters!)

When i watched a 15 second long video on An Atv in a weird map that I neevr heard of called "Yoyorast island" i decided to serch it and come across a download of Halo Custom Edition.

Hotrod
March 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I saw a map called Nightcamp CE so I looked around and downloaded CE to play it.

Con
March 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
When I discovered NeedForSpeed 3 modding, I was thrilled. Naturally, after I became interested in Halo, I wondered if it could be modded too. I really dont know what the first custom map I played was. Though I don't make a lot of maps, the one thing that has kept me in CE as apposed to PC, is the community. I wuv u guys :o

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
March 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM
No get out conny. ):<

Con
March 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
make me you little 13 yr old >:-0

mech
March 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Yea it does, and it's fairly large.

Spartan000
March 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I started playing CE back in the era of casualty gorge

Dole
March 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM
First map I downloaded? Castel 2 Castel.
First map I played online? Casualty Gorge.

Dole
March 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Halo PC has about 2000 players online at any given time, whereas CE has around 40...

mech
March 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Wrong. PC has a pile of noobs that scream "AIMBOT AIMBOT OMFG AIMBOT U GAY FAG"

Wrong, ever wonder why most of the servers are locked?

And ce on average now has about 300 players.

Leiukemia
March 5th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I think hugeass was my first map. Just looked to hilarious. I started cause my brother discovered it one way or another when he started modding pc. I was blown the fuck away by the pelican and jets, and the rifle was just like "OMGWOW". Now I've discovered it's all quite boring stuff, but nothing compares to the feeling I had when I first discovered custom content.

Syuusuke
March 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM
1 in every 16 Halo players in PC are afk...

The lead in PC, augh I can't get used to it, even if I'm in a server that is in the same state as I am in.

Apoc4lypse
March 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
hmm I beleive it was during the evening, and I was in halomods irc chat when I heard the much anticipated CE version of halo was just released on cortana.org, shortly after the HEK was also up for download.

I managed to download CE, but by the time I went to download the HEK the servers bandwidth was all being used up, so I had to wait like a day.

Then to go onto why I bought halo pc... After beating halo 1 I was hooked, I wanted more, I had played a couple of games with friends and family in split screen, but that wasn't enough.. then I found out about halo for pc, and at first I was really excited, but eventualy I forgot about it because it took quite some time to release. So I kind of just played more halo campaign and eventualy beat each level on every difficulty, and before I knew it there was a halo pc demo, which I quickly downloaded in order to play online with people in bloodgulch. A little later I bought the game.

Howd I start modding... I honestly can't remember exactly, I think I was trying to see if halo had cheat codes at all or could be edited at all. I googled and eventualy found some article on projectile swaps which weren't quite dead yet, but just about dieing out or losing popularity. So eager to make my assualt rifle fire rockets I quickly researched and found halomods.com. My first mod I released a video on was making a longsword drivable which wasn't a hard thing to do... although some people thought it was cool, because they had never seen it...

Halomods.com was fun back before when it was much smaller, and it kind of died out with the HEK and HaloCE mostly to the flood of new people coming in.

Thats my story... for PC and CE that is...

I even remember the first time I ever heard of halo and how I wound up getting an Xbox and then buying Halo.