PDA

View Full Version : [PORTAL] Portal: Prelude

Rob Oplawar
September 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM
http://www.portalprelude.com

The website is getting hammered by the Digg effect right now, but give it some time. This is shaping up to be the best Portal mod out there.

Discuss.

Botolf
September 18th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Looks intriguing.

And lolz at the guy with his head down in the middle of a staff meeting.

The_Wraith
September 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Before I go downloading this, what's it about? How does it compare to Portal: TFV mappack?

Jelly
September 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Before I go downloading this, what's it about? How does it compare to Portal: TFV mappack?
TFV Pack is more released than this.

n00b1n8R
September 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
This has a proper plot?

You can't really compare the gameplay untill it's released really. >_>

The_Wraith
September 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
I didn't know it wasn't out. Just saw the download button.

Pooky
September 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
This has a proper plot?

You can't really compare the gameplay untill it's released really. >_>

get on steam fool

n00b1n8R
September 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
I didn't know it wasn't out. Just saw the download button.
Try reading the actual blog next time.

Their hoping to get it out on the 10th of October (the OJ box's first anniversary)

Zeph
October 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
It should be pretty much done. Unless they find a killer bug after all the testing they've already done, I dont see why it wont.

Unlike some people in this community, *coughcoughMasterscoughcough*, they were actually content complete a good while back.

n00b1n8R
October 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Who is this Masters you speak of? :raise:

Bodzilla
October 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
the Z makes him cool remember.

worked for me :awesome:
but i want this :(

Jelly
October 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
http://www.countdown2zero.com/mscd.php?code=6528d

Oh goddddddd

n00b1n8R
October 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM
And I'll be on fucking camp >:|

Saggy
October 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Oh shit guys, it was released!! No joke! Get it now!

Terin
October 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Holy jeebus.

Let's see if it lives up to the hype it's gotten.

EDIT: Uh oh, 666 posts. :tinfoil:

Botolf
October 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
*waits impatiently in line at FP*

*eye twitches*

And shit, I accidentally added "impateintly" to my Firefox dictionary!! GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

Jelly
October 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM
There's a torrent available at Demonoid if you don't want to wait:

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1647448/10657024/

Or a mirror at Clubic if you get bad speeds like I did:

http://www.clubic.com/lancer-le-telechargement-277620-0-portal-prelude.html

It's in French, but just choose a mirror.

Sever
October 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM
hard mod is hard. All of the grav-assisted jumps require extreme precision, and the timed segments require on-the-fly thinking. I love this mod.

Jelly
October 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I got to like the second hard part and ended up playing CSS. Going to retry now.

Bodzilla
October 9th, 2008, 03:03 PM
i love Demonoid <3

those guys deliver on anything and everything

Pooky
October 9th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately, I foolishly let myself get addicted to Oblivion again, so I probably won't be playing this for a while yet.

il Duce Primo
October 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
It is very fun. I'm on test 9 right now. How far are you if you started?

Sever
October 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm on nine as well. If you need help getting through any of them up to then (including nine) drop me a line. I know how to do it, but its just tricky - I keep falling in the drink.

Sel
October 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Im torrenting it at like 30KB/s :\

Bodzilla
October 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM
downloaded :awesome:

give me a few brews and let me finish work and i'll be into it :D

il Duce Primo
October 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I got up to mid 16 now I'm going to bed.

Jelly
October 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I got to 14 last night, but this kind of gets boring when you play it for a while. Best in small doses, I've found.

Also lol at Microsoft Sam-style voice actors.

Rob Oplawar
October 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I got to 9 last night.
Damn, some of those puzzles had me stumped for a while, and I'm not even in the double digits yet! I guess I'm not thinking with Portals...
@Microsoft Sam: Yeah, lol, at first I thought they were voice actors imitating AI, with a voice filter applied, like GlaDOS. Well, I guess you work with what you've got.

Zeph
October 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm not caring much about this mod. It's a great idea, but it doesn't have the fun of the original. Portal was about using simple physics to move yourself from place to place. Prelude is about stunting and knowing exactly what's going to happen when. You shouldn't have to crouch while flying through the air just to proceed. You shouldn't have to die just to know how to beat each stage of a level. As prelude goes along, it gives you no way to know how to proceed without dying hundreds of times.

Besides, I'm literally stuck on one of the levels. I somehow managed to portal myself out of one section and into another that blocks me off from proceeding backwards or forwards. I'm pretty much in a hole I cant jump or portal out of.

Zeph
October 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Definitely needing help on chamber 13.

Sever
October 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM
That's the one with two buttons and a cube being defended by four turrets in a room above you, right?After you get both buttons activated (the further one with your own mass), you then have to get above the area you were just in by placing a portal on the lower edge of the exit-way (through the button-triggered door), step into the portal, then place another above the area (above the turret room) you then have to place another portal diagonally (ie: stand on the left side and shoot to the right) on the furthest-towards-the-entrance ceiling and jump diagonally through it (another one of those overly-precise jumps - save here, because you WILL fall in the drink at least once while attempting this) You then get delivered a second cube which you then place a portal under, then one on the wall in the button room (shoot through the furthest grate) and use both cubes on both buttons and jump the gap.

Zeph
October 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
That's the one with two buttons and a cube being defended by four turrets in a room above you, right?After you get both buttons activated (the further one with your own mass), you then have to get above the area you were just in by placing a portal on the lower edge of the exit-way (through the button-triggered door), step into the portal, then place another above the area (above the turret room) you then have to place another portal diagonally (ie: stand on the left side and shoot to the right) on the furthest-towards-the-entrance ceiling and jump diagonally through it (another one of those overly-precise jumps - save here, because you WILL fall in the drink at least once while attempting this) You then get delivered a second cube which you then place a portal under, then one on the wall in the button room (shoot through the furthest grate) and use both cubes on both buttons and jump the gap.

*twitch*
pics and/or vid?

Zeph
October 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
nevermind. I somehow managed to do it by walking into the portals backwards.

Sever
October 10th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Cool. It gets trickier from there, however. Tell me if you get past the 'Indiana Jones' part, where there are sliding walls and electropanels (the room has 3 buttons on the floor, and the trap stuff to the right). That test chamber just offends me.

Saggy
October 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Elmanojohnson

Walkthrough of the first 18 chambers, in case anyone needs them. I know I did.

Zeph
October 10th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I got through the indiana jones part just fine. Now I'm working on 16, I think. It's the first one with the hover pad going back and forth. It's set up a bit differently than the ones in portal, so it's taking some getting used to.

CabooseJr
October 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I swear the ending to it was epic. The boss is really interesting to face.

Zeph
October 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Blah, I'm on the last level, but the fire drops my fps down to one, no matter what settings I use. :(. What do I have to type in the console to get to the BSP following the fire gate level?

CabooseJr
October 10th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Blah, I'm on the last level, but the fire drops my fps down to one, no matter what settings I use. :(. What do I have to type in the console to get to the BSP following the fire gate level?

If it's going down that bad, try making the game run on DX8. If you don't know how, just go to Portal: Prelude in steam and right-click it and go to properties, then set launch options and type in "dxlevel 80".

Botolf
October 11th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'm stuck on the first fucking puzzle. This shit's too unforgiving.

Edit: Passed this puzzle on sheer luck, now I'm stuck on #2. Yay, more of throwing the player into a challenge without supplying any training or experience! There's a reason Valve does this with their puzzles, it's called "trying to avoid your player going apeshit because the game is screwing him at every turn".

Bodzilla
October 11th, 2008, 01:30 AM
finished it :p

good game, really really frustrating though, in order to play it you have to be pretty skilled at the first portal.
the puzzles shat me for a fair bit of it, just because they need precise co-ordination, especially when you dont have much room to work with and your going through portals and coming out upside-down in a small area... to get to the ledge was just very, very hard.

Sel
October 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm not caring much about this mod. It's a great idea, but it doesn't have the fun of the original. Portal was about using simple physics to move yourself from place to place. Prelude is about stunting and knowing exactly what's going to happen when. You shouldn't have to crouch while flying through the air just to proceed. You shouldn't have to die just to know how to beat each stage of a level. As prelude goes along, it gives you no way to know how to proceed without dying hundreds of times.

Seriously, it would be ok if you simply had to look at the puzzle for a while to know what to do, but the fact that its impossible to beat most of these the first time without dying (several times) is really fucking lame. As they said in the portal dev commentary, several time pressured small simple easy decisions gives a fun rush, sitting around for half an hour on the other hand dying and/or being stuck is not fun.

LlamaMaster
October 28th, 2008, 09:44 PM
In my opinion, this mod sucks. They turned it from a fun puzzle game into infuriating precision control game. I got to chamber 9 then just said "fuck it". The "puzzle" itself is extremely easy, but trying to shoot portals in precise spots while the camera is flipping all over the place isn't my idea of fun. Same goes for dieing 50 times over on a chamber which should be easy. The developers are arrogant assholes to. Somebody pointed out these flaws in their forum and they basically said "were sorry your not good enough for our game", and "were not valve, we want to do it our way." Have fun I guess, but i'm not playing this. :/

Sel
October 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'll probably see it through to the end, but I'm starting to get really agitated at some of these fucking puzzles. I know what to do, so fuck them for expecting my hands work as fast as my mind.

Terin
November 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
I just cheated at a few points if it got too annoying for me, and I'm glad I did. The ending, in my opinion, is really fun. Bind a key to noclip if it's too hard at some point, and then just keep going.

Rob Oplawar
November 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
I'm really frustrated on chamber 19. My hands just aren't quick enough. garg.

Sel
November 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I just stopped playing at 13 :|