PDA

View Full Version : Alright help me out here.

Neuro Guro
March 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM
-

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
March 4th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Nah, I think a 3800 would be able to run Vista, not that well though. Also, Vista can run CE, you just need to download a fix from Halomaps. I am not sure about the HL2 thing though, I hope it runs it.

I would suggest upgrading to a dual core though anyways, atleast that is what I am going to do. 3500+ ftl. :(

Neuro Guro
March 4th, 2007, 11:03 PM
-

Atty
March 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM
You'll run it fine. I'd upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 (E6600 + 975X/680i) if I was going to upgrade anything.

Leiukemia
March 5th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Is upgrading to a core 2 expensive?

Atty
March 5th, 2007, 12:13 AM
$200 for a motherboard and $300 for a processor, $250 for a 2GB kit of RAM (if yours is incompatible), and $300 for a GPU if yours isn't PCI-E. Then there is a case, HD, optical drives, sound card (possibly), and other gizmo's and gadgets.

But why the fuck are you asking us? Find out what parts you'd need to upgrade and then go to NewEgg and see how expensive it would be. It's not hard.

Mr Buckshot
March 5th, 2007, 12:30 AM
ZOMG, that 3800+ will run Vista fine unless you plan to turn on Aero Glass AND run more than 10 windows at a time in 3D (the CPU does bottleneck higher-end video cards, including your Radeon X1950). If you plan to stay in 2D mode most of the time, the 3800+ is overkill anyway.

My desktop has an X2 version of the 3800+ and runs Vista pretty well.

You don't need a super computer to run Vista smoothly. A 1.5Ghz P4 with 512 MB RAM and a "3D accelerator" will run Vista in the 2D mode with little or no lag.

so RELAX and don't listen to all the power whores yelling blue murder about how you NEED dual core CPUs and crazy amounts of RAM to run Windows Vista.

legionaire45
March 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM
link. (http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=900)

That thread really needs more sticky.

Atty
March 5th, 2007, 12:41 AM
No. I'll re-make it and then it will deserve a sticky, a man with a celeron deserves no stick.y

legionaire45
March 5th, 2007, 02:23 AM
That Celeron got keychained btw. Remember I have the E6300 tested to 2.66 ghz xD. OWNED. meow.

StankBacon
March 5th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Nah, I think a 3800 would be able to run Vista, not that well though. .

no, it will run vista great, once again, look at my specs, i run vista 100 % fine no lag no crappy performance.....

Also, Vista can run CE, you just need to download a fix from Halomaps

odd, i never had to download any vista fix, because there isnt one.

also, nuero, your video card will be MORE than enough to run aero with absolutely no performance hit.

no need to upgrade.

these people who say you need a monster of a pc to run vista need to get there facts straight, and stop reading biased reviews of vista.

legionaire45
March 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
no, it will run vista great, once again, look at my specs, i run vista 100 % fine no lag no crappy performance.....

also, nuero, your video card will be MORE than enough to run aero with absolutely no performance hit.

no need to upgrade.

these people who say you need a monster of a pc to run vista need to get there facts straight, and stop reading biased reviews of vista.

If he wants to run Vista and any modern game at something even half playable he would need a "monster" PC. I believe that the $400 option that I selected would r0x0r his b0x0rs, and it wouldn't even cost $400 because he already has some components. His GPU will be great for vista and most games, but his CPU is now outdated and vastly outclassed by the Core 2 Duos. My CPU and motherboard cost me about $200 excluding the little $100 that my school added in ^_^.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
March 5th, 2007, 10:14 PM

no need to upgrade.

these people who say you need a monster of a pc to run vista need to get there facts straight, and stop reading biased reviews of vista.http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=1884

Please research before you try and prove somebody wrong.

StankBacon
March 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=1884

Please research before you try and prove somebody wrong.

please, you research, that is for the beta versions of vista, rtm doesnt need any patch.

Cortexian
March 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM
please, you research, that is for the beta versions of vista, rtm doesnt need any patch.
Please do your research, that patch is for Beta and RTM releases. There is a Microsoft update that actually fixes a bunch of compatibility issues after you install. So if you don't actually update your Windows for some reason *shifty eyes*, then you need the patch. I believe that Half-Life 2 and other Steam games work as well.

Jesus, Starcraft works!

And bacon, all those reviews are based on running Vista with the visual settings and everything turned on, and experiencing a flawless 3d experience (Ex. no Windows lagging or glitching out). If your running Vista on your computer, with Aero, Internet explorer, Halo and Xfire running, you will most likely experience some graphical errors. It's true that you don't need an awesome good PC, Nero, your PC will run Vista. But to what extent do you want to use it until it's performance starts to decrees?

StankBacon
March 8th, 2007, 08:10 AM
i have aero on, set up for prettyness, not performance, and when i have all kinds of shit open, i get no lag. no glitching.

i have an activated copy of vista, and i got all the latest updates.

but keep in mind, the 1st thing i did when i installed vista, was install and try PC and CE, i didn't use windows update at all.

i never needed, nor installed any vista compatibility patch.

-edit- yah i have steam installed and hl2 css and all that work just fine.

-edit again- just looked at the details of all my updates.... THIS (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929427) is the only update that is for compatibility issues, and it mentions nothing of halo.
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929427)

DaneO'Roo
March 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM
^ bacons Vista owned everyone :P

JDMFSeanP
March 8th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I'm running vista fine with a 3400, so you should have no problem, I can't comment on laggyness though because I'm still running a beta, lags anyways >_>

Cortexian
March 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Bacon, when you installed Vista, did you choose the recommended update options, or the "download, but let me choose when to install" option? If you choose the Recommended "Download and Install Automatically", it installed the update during installation.

TheGhost
March 11th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Who really cares? Let's all just agree that Microsoft is really nice with updating in Vista.