PDA

View Full Version : New Workstation boards from Nvidia....

legionaire45
March 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM
...if anyone cares. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_40513.html)The price tags scare the crap out of me 0.o

Limited
March 6th, 2007, 04:46 AM
$2999 for just the gfx card..

DAMN expensive..

Atty
March 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM
The sad thing is that some stupid kid is going to buy this and expect to have the best card ever, only to find shitty results.

Cortexian
March 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM
BFG 8800 GTX > That. I'm sure the 8800 GTX is just as good for heavy graphic loads, I ran 3d mark 06 with leet results in the high 9k area.

I_Am_Error117
March 6th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Yes they are finaly here. Glares at piggy bank. j/k

Chewy Gumball
March 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM
BFG 8800 GTX > That. I'm sure the 8800 GTX is just as good for heavy graphic loads, I ran 3d mark 06 with leet results in the high 9k area.

Um no? That would totally wtf pwn an 8800 GTX. You don't use those for gaming. Those are workstation cards.

Cortexian
March 6th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I know that... I'm saying that the 8800 GTX can handle any practical application that that could. And that thing will be like every other workstation card and have shitty game performance.

itszutak
March 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
What is the difference between a workstation card and a gaming card, exactly? <_<

Limited
March 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
What is the difference between a workstation card and a gaming card, exactly? <_<
Some workstation cards can render 3840 x 2400 res.

And I think they can handlke multiple monitors (like 3 +)

Like pro modelers use them for rendering, displaying on lots of screens.

Tackling the extreme visualization challenges of the automotive styling and design, oil and gas exploration, medical imaging, visual simulation and training, scientific research, and advanced visual effects industries, these new Quadro solutions offer:

So it is used for those scenarios..

Mr Buckshot
March 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Gaming cards are for gaming, typical home PC applications, and home-made modding of games.

Workstation cards are for big companies wanting to make the next Pixar 3D animated movie (100% CGI film).

Basically, only people who work for giant game design companies or CGI companies should be buying workstation cards.

As for games, workstation cards won't disappoint at all. Nvidia Quadros have been seen handling games at speeds equal to those of their Geforce counterparts. However the price is way too high if all you want to do is play games.

legionaire45
March 7th, 2007, 12:52 AM

"Gaming" cards are designed more towards calculating things in real time (aka a game) while workstation cards are geared more towards rendering video and still images. Originally Workstation boards were more or less Gaming cards with different drivers and maybe more memory but with the 7-series they started making the cards have actual hardware differences. Ahhh, the good old days of tricking my 6800LE at 6800 Ultra speeds and pipes into a Quadro...

Cortexian
March 7th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I'm to lazy to go read this, but are they SLI compatible? I heard our school server tech talking to the Multimedia teacher about getting some of these for our leet computer rigs (we do make CGI / animated movies, and do tons of video rendering in school).

Limited
March 7th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I'm to lazy to go read this, but are they SLI compatible?
I would reply but maybe your too lazy to read it too..

NVIDIA® SLI™ technology for improved graphics performance; dual dual-link display connectivity;

What happened to "if you dont read it dont reply"

Cortexian
March 7th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I read it yesterday, I have horrible memory.

Mr Buckshot
March 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I'm to lazy to go read this, but are they SLI compatible? I heard our school server tech talking to the Multimedia teacher about getting some of these for our leet computer rigs (we do make CGI / animated movies, and do tons of video rendering in school).

You have a nice school. Our Graphics class doesn't do 3D work, and uses Windows 98 PCs. We have no game-making or 3D rendering classes. Our film studies class is only about the film from cameras.

Our most powerful PCs are the library PCs, with Windows XP, 2.8Ghz P4s, 248 MB RAM (256 shared), 80 GB hard drives, 64 MB Intel Extreme Graphics 2, and 17" 1280x1024 LCD monitors. Clearly not meant for gaming beyond N64 emulators, but at least Google.com doesn't take 15 seconds to load on these computers. And we have a T3 line, the ONLY sophisticated part of our computer system.

Yeah, get these workstation cards if your school trains students in making high-quality CGI clips or models, or has a game-making class that actually allows 3D games.

Cortexian
March 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Yea, we are getting something along these lines:

Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 GHz
2 GB RAM
Unknown PSU
Unknown Motherboards
These Workstation Graphics cards in four of them, Nvidia 8800 GTX's in the other ones (we are getting 28 total).

I found out that they are getting some of these for sure :) should be coming some time next week :)

legionaire45
March 9th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Our most powerful PCs are the library PCs, with Windows XP, 2.8Ghz P4s, 248 MB RAM (256 shared), 80 GB hard drives, 64 MB Intel Extreme Graphics 2, and 17" 1280x1024 LCD monitors. Clearly not meant for gaming beyond N64 emulators, but at least Google.com doesn't take 15 seconds to load on these computers. And we have a T3 line, the ONLY sophisticated part of our computer system.

My school has a bunch of those exact computers all over the place. Our most powerful computers are 2 Core Duo Laptops that replace some ancient laptops with Pentium Ms in them.

Cortexian
March 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
<3 Pentium M desktop processors. They are massive :)

legionaire45
March 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM
<3 Pentium M desktop processors. They are massive :)

My school IT guy has all the communications between the laptop/server encrypted. aka it takes literally 15 minutes to log on to these damn laptops:suicide:

Oh, we have 2/16 working alienwares also. I think they are using Desktop Pentium 4's (!!!) and some form of a Quadro in them as well as full on desktop 7200 RPM HD drives and a 17" screen. They all suffer from one or more of the following:

* half or more of the pixels on the screens are dead
* They smell like Ozone when you turn them on
* They spark when you try and put a charger in
* Their licenses for 3DS Max and AutoCad are broken or the apps wont start up
* Windows has errors at boot up
* They all have literally 5 minutes of battery life (which sucks when combined with #3)

Nice high quality machines. Their warranties are up and it costs a small fortune to repair them. BTW, these laptops are hardly ever used and to my knowledge have never been abused. Nice Alienware quality.

Cortexian
March 11th, 2007, 03:43 AM
*Buys alienware la- wait...*

Neways, our school uses Seanix and Acer computers...