PDA

View Full Version : So. Halo Wars.

MereCatfish
September 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Looks like we have a new game to discuss, ladies and gents. I would place a bet on this being released on Vista too.

Get to making the subforum, Ghosty. :D

jcap
September 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM
For those of you living in a hole and have absolutely no idea what Mere is talking about, see http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=bungieatx06

Rescudo
September 27th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Oh. My. God. :O

TheGhost
September 27th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Ooo... it's XBox 360 only though. =(

Rescudo
September 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Crap, in my excitement I missed that detail. :(

thehoodedsmack
September 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
So THATS why Halogen was cancelled. Man, I hope it's as good as Halogen looked. Now there's more insentive to get a 360.

TheGhost
September 27th, 2006, 02:22 PM
So THATS why Halogen was cancelled. Man, I hope it's as good as Halogen looked. Now there's more insentive to get a 360.
Oh, good point... I didn't think of that. I already have an XBox 360 so I'll be getting this. =)

Rescudo
September 27th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought too... that must have been why. Though I think they could have given them the message earlier...

Cortexian
September 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
DAMN I have an extreme dislike of consoles... I really hope that they bring Halo Wars out to PC!

Rescudo
September 27th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Same here... they might do it like they did with Halo 1 and Halo 2. Tell us it's Xbox only, then release it for PC anyway after 1½ years. =/

Arteen
September 27th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought too... that must have been why.
That was also the first thing I thought. It looks awesome though.

zomg Hoth! (http://www.halowars.com/images/HW_1600x1200_2.html)
These Elites scare the crap out of me (http://www.halowars.com/images/HW_1600x1200_4.html)

mined
September 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Holy crap! This is great news.

TheGhost
September 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM
These Elites scare the crap out of me (http://www.halowars.com/images/HW_1600x1200_4.html)
Did you see the detail of the Elites in the hi-def trailer? It's nuts. I hope they're using this stuff for H3.

mined
September 27th, 2006, 03:06 PM

They look a lot beefier, thats for sure.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Man, when does it come out? Same time as Halo 3?

Rescudo
September 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I doubt they are going to release two Halo-related games at the same time; there will probably be a while between the releases so it is not too much at once.

mined
September 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
The USNC fighter aircraft looked pretty cool from what I could catch on the trailer. The way they all had on thier landing lights to see through the fog. That pretty much lit a fire under my ass to complete the Hoplite-Pheonix.

The landing craft were pretty interesting as well. :cool:

Zeph
September 27th, 2006, 03:57 PM
The landing craft were albatross. There's one crashed in Relic on Halo 2

IPBJT!
September 27th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I hope it come out for pc, cause imo rts are better on pc than they are on console

thehoodedsmack
September 27th, 2006, 04:04 PM
So, it takes place BEFORE Halo 1, would that make those Spartan looking soldiers Mark IV? III? I'm liking the look of all this, though, we NEED those new bipeds. Looks cool. Also, love the Spirit of Fire logo. Best UNSC squad ever.

Edit: Oh, Spartan Squad Omega, Last letter in the Greek alphabet, huh? Last of Spartan IV? That makes sense.

P.S. What the dickens is this thing?
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/thehoodedsmack/ship.jpg

Zeph
September 27th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I think they'll be unique spartan models. Perhaps different models for different climates. I doubt this will be much in-line with Nylund's universe.

thehoodedsmack
September 27th, 2006, 04:20 PM
It's still got the ability to be storyline coherent. Looks like an older model, very bulky. I doubt they need climate suited armour, the things can survive in space.

Zeph
September 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I think it's a longsword.

Chewy Gumball
September 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I'm not excited until they announce a PC release.

thehoodedsmack
September 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Maybe an early longsword, I actually thought it looked Covenant at first.

Boo Diddly
September 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
it is some kind of human vehicle that woud be the equivalent to the banshee. Are we goign to possibly see this in H3?

also awhile back bungie did have some concept vehicle that they scrapped because they could not figure out how to get it to fly. Is this possibly an offspring of it?

>.< evil ghostie locked me thread :fail:

mined
September 27th, 2006, 06:59 PM
It is definitely not a longsword, at least in terms of a bomber. In one scene, you can see it and a banshee dogfighting among other banshees. You can tell by its surrounding that it is to the scale of a banshee and not a bomber.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM
*talking to thehoodedsmack* I doubt it. It was an earlier version, you say, right? Why would we see the earlier model rather than the later model?

V0Lt4Ge
September 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
*talking to thehoodedsmack* I doubt it. It was an earlier version, you say, right? Why would we see the earlier model rather than the later model?
Because this takes place before Halo 1, so it's either an earlier model or a different ship altogether.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Because this takes place before Halo 1, so it's either an earlier model or a different ship altogether.

He asked if that aircraft would be in Halo 3.

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Cool, I saw the Trailer, (What my FPS rate would let me see) and I knew that it was one of the Coolest things I ever saw so far. and I've Uploaded it on to YouTube, if any one wants me to, I'll post it here for you guys.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 07:28 PM
You won't need to. They can just go to www.halowars.com (http://www.halowars.com) and watch the trailer over there.

Boo Diddly
September 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM
ya...

they also have an awsome 5.1 hi def version there. crappy computer beware....

itszutak
September 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM
now THAT'S how I see elites.

Not those silly things in Halo 2... >_>

Boo Diddly
September 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM
those trailer elites are the ones that you would not want to find standing at the end of your bed. O.O<"Oh crap! where did i put my rocket launcher!!!">

Agamemnon
September 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Halo + RTS + 360 = bad idea/capitalizing on a franchise

Seriously, I'm not happy with it, and it's not because I don't have a 360 (nor do I want one). RTS games do not work on the console and I seriously doubt it being developed only for the 360 and designed on the 360 will make it any better. If anything, it will hinder it in what the game could truely shine to be. Besides, you have two playable races. You only need a third one to make it a complete Starcraft clone.

My favorite part in the trailer is when those marines were firing off their battle rifles and the FAQ states the setting takes place before Halo 1.

Boo Diddly
September 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM
A: “Halo Wars” takes place before Halo 1 during the UNSC’s first deadly encounters with the Covenant.

interesting. very interesting.

Battle Rifles probably existed before halo 1, but the PoA didn't have any on board...

ps. I love how they did the plasma, its not glowing blue balls; they are freaking projectiles!

Agamemnon
September 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Yup, you never know when they'll forget to bring the standard military rifles. Must've mixed them up with the orders with the dumbed-down pistol too.

It's just a fact; things that happen in Halo are Hoodini's doing.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 08:21 PM
interesting. very interesting.

Battle Rifles probably existed before halo 1, but the PoA didn't have any on board...

ps. I love how they did the plasma, its not glowing blue balls; they are freaking projectiles!

Maybe the BR turned into the AR and then turned into the BR again. Who knows? Yeah, I liked the plasma too. It owns!

Zeph
September 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Maybe the BR turned into the AR and then turned into the BR again. Who knows? Yeah, I liked the plasma too. It owns!

Really it doesn't matter. A gun is a gun. Who's to say they simply didn't exsist before the events in Halo 1, but they just weren't used? As for gameplay, it doesn't matter if it's a BR55 or a modern day M4. It's a stick that goes boom.

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM
No, I think it is time that you read some of the Halo novels, Elite Killa, The AR was never BR the BR was a new Weapon that the good Dr. had waiting for the Spartans but the Weapon it self need some Feld tests first, you get to learn that in the novels, and maybe Bungie is doing something new for this new game.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
No, I think it is time that you read some of the Halo novels, Elite Killa, The AR was never BR the BR was a new Weapon that the good Dr. had waiting for the Spartans but the Weapon it self need some Feld tests first, you get to learn that in the novels, and maybe Bungie is doing something new for this new game.

Oh! That changes everything in my mind! *mind suddenly goes blank for all eternity*!

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Lol, I've read all of the Novels so far, and it all ties in to Halo at some point, and somethings just are so off that I don't know what they're talking about.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 10:03 PM
When I first heard of Halo Wars, i thought it was a random title that someone made up to imitate Star Wars. lol :lol:

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I don't think I ever heard of it, but today I saw it at Gear Box, and then I tryed to Down load it and watch it but no thanks to my stupid computer, FSP sucked big time, so I did the only thing I knew how to get around that, Upload it on to YouTube, so i did, and so far it has been viewed 20 or more times, and has 1 Rating, and has six comments.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I don't think I ever heard of it, but today I saw it at Gear Box, and then I tryed to Down load it and watch it but no thanks to my stupid computer, FSP sucked big time, so I did the only thing I knew how to get around that, Upload it on to YouTube, so i did, and so far it has been viewed 20 or more times, and has 1 Rating, and has six comments.

Good for you, man!:)

Boo Diddly
September 27th, 2006, 11:39 PM
i feel sorry for you stealth, I remember when I had a bad gpx card. Movies lagged bad and halo was worse >.<
but now I have an x1900, and man, that hi-def trailer is freakind sweet!

Elite Killa
September 28th, 2006, 06:59 AM
The BR looks like it has a silencer on it.

Rescudo
September 28th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Besides, you have two playable races. You only need a third one to make it a complete Starcraft clone.

What about the Flood though?

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Halo wars is going to around the time that the Covies first show up in Human Space (Halo Novel 1: The Fall of Reach) about around the time When the MC and the other Spartans got their armor, Oh and before I got to School, my I say that most of what you see and read from Halo wars will Clear up if you Read the Halo Novels.

Rescudo
September 28th, 2006, 08:55 AM
That means no flood, eh. :(

rossmum
September 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah. Good riddance.

Also Stealth, it's probably your CPU making it run slow, not your video card. I get the same problem, lame CPU.

I like the FAQ...

Q. Why make Halo Wars?
A. Warthogs are cool. Scorpions are cool. Controlling loads of Warthogs and Scorpions is really, really cool.

:D

Rescudo
September 28th, 2006, 10:31 AM
And Pelicans, there MUST be Pelicans. :D

And you must be able to carry Warthogs and Scorpions in them.

thehoodedsmack
September 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Now that I look at it, those Spartans look kinda like the CMT bipeds. Helmetwise at least.

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Ya you got a point there, (Stupid School and their Stupid Screen size Setings, all with all of their Blocked things on the Computer and the Internet) I'm posting this Reply from School, this is a New web site, so it isn't blocked yet, and Yet being the Key word. @ Rossmum, Ya I don't know what is wrong, but oh well I get my new GFX card tomorro, and I'll do some tests to see if it lets me Play Halo on my Desktop.

rossmum
September 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Now that I look at it, those Spartans look kinda like the CMT bipeds. Helmetwise at least.
More like Jahrain's... in fact, almost exactly like Jahrain's... hehehe, that's awesome. GO JAH!

Resc: iawtp.

Anyways, Stealth, it shouldn't make much of a difference with a new video card... can you post your PC specs?

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I posted my PC specs at the Post you Computer Specs at Gear box's forums, the one that Masters made.

rossmum
September 28th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Link, I'm lazy and about to turn in for the nig- morning. It's 5:05 here.

Rescudo
September 28th, 2006, 02:54 PM
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=55553

Cortexian
September 28th, 2006, 03:45 PM
It will probably end up coming to PC in a year and ahalf like said previously, theres some rumors flying around that they are experimenting with getting it so that the PC ver and the Xbox ver are compatible (aka PC playing someone on xbox online)... I doubt that very much though.

I cannot wait for this game, might even be an insentive to actualy buy a 360 and not be a lazy PC bum... lol

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Link, I'm lazy and about to turn in for the nig- morning. It's 5:05 here.
here is my Scpecs

Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
1.79 GHz, 256 MB or RAM

Elite Killa
September 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM
You have intel too? Buckshot said Halo will look bad on that but I see fine and I have Intel.

Cortexian
September 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Having anything Intel vs anything else wont effect halo's looks, that has to do with your gfx card brand, like ATI or Nvidea...

Anywho, anyone call for "UNSC Spirit of Fire" logo and avatars?
Logos:
http://xero.haloimpulse.com/pics/UNSC%20Spirit%20of%20Fire.gif
http://xero.haloimpulse.com/pics/UNSC%20Spirit%20of%20Fire%20Logo.png
120 x 120
http://xero.haloimpulse.com/pics/UNSC%20Spirit%20of%20Fire%20Avatar%20120.png
90 x 90
http://xero.haloimpulse.com/pics/UNSC%20Spirit%20of%20Fire%20Avatar%2090.png

Woot! Anyone can use them, no objections from me!

Boo Diddly
September 28th, 2006, 06:16 PM
i wonder what the ship looks like? that will be interesting since we have only seen the pillar of autum like ships and Miranda Keyes' ship.

itszutak
September 28th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I played AoE II when it came out. Loved it...until I got Halo.

*Scavenges for old disk*

( :( I miss Age of Empires)

Halo Wars is going to be AWESOME. And I know that as a FACT.

Elite Killa
September 28th, 2006, 07:58 PM

*Scavenges for old disk*

Agreed with the last two sentences.

V0Lt4Ge
September 28th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Those avatars are awesome. =D

*uses*

Elite Killa
September 28th, 2006, 09:55 PM
How do you use those nice avatars?

thehoodedsmack
September 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM
You go to your user CP and upload 'em.

mined
September 28th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah, the Spirit Of Fire logo is pretty awesome. I almost changed my avatar, but imo HMH-464 > CFV-88.

rossmum
September 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM
here is my Scpecs

Your processor's only marginally better than mine, which is probably why it skips for you too.

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Ya, I've watched the Halo 3 Trailer on a Computer at School that is the same make and model and it moved real good, and then on this Computer, it skips, and I've yet to see what it dose with DVDs I don't like watching DVDs on my Laptop because I think it is trying real hard to die.

Rescudo
September 29th, 2006, 05:09 AM

I totally agree. With all of it.

Cortexian
September 29th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I don't think my brain is comprehending whats going on, im not totaly annoyingly happy yet... mb tommorow sometime well im out hunting it will click...

Teroh
October 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM
1 word.
Sexalicious.
I love Halo Wars.

Timo
October 4th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I don't get it. This takes place before Halo but they have battle rifles, and their armour (spartans) looks beefier and bettererererer than Halo 2's? :|
Well anywho, this game looks totally awesome, and I think it'll be going on my wish list ;D

thehoodedsmack
October 4th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Just 'cause the Battle Rifles weren't used in Halo 1 doesn't mean they weren't there. And the armour would look beefier in previous models. Everything gets compact with advancement.

rossmum
October 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM
In the books, the BR is an experimental weapon in top-secret testing. It enters service just before Halo 2.

Still. WIN.

MereCatfish
October 5th, 2006, 01:18 AM
This is just a movie, made by an outside company called Blur. They just used the resources available. The game will look nothing like that, and the chances are the weapon will not be in the game.

Boo Diddly
October 5th, 2006, 12:12 PM
not necessaraly.

Arteen
October 8th, 2006, 04:28 PM
HaloGen interview at Halo Wars Central (http://halowarscentral.com/articles.php)

TheGhost
October 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
This is a very interesting interview. Thanks for posting.