PDA

View Full Version : R/C Hobbies

SnaFuBAR
March 7th, 2007, 05:21 AM
I just got into R/C helicopters this past week, and it's been fun. Very different than driving an R/C car, that's for sure. Rudder, throttle, elevator and aileron trim all control pitch, yaw, ascention, descention, in three dimensions of movement, and need constant adjustment mid-flight, so as you can imagine, it's a bit of a challenge, but a whole lot of fun. I managed to get caught in my own prop-wash next to my car, downing my heli into the asphalt. I took the blade-strike and break over the scratching of my car, since the blades are easy to replace.

Anyways, I got an E-flite cx2. Good looking heli, I think. Counter-rotating props, which I love. Reminds me of the Russian attack helicopters (KA-50 Hokum, Mi-28 Havok, and KA-58 Black Ghost), which i love.

Powered by dual cell 800mAh, 7.4v Li-Po battery pack and 2 180 motors.
Controler is a Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM 5 channel proportional transmitter.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7583/heli1wo7.jpg
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1274/cx2800x600sj7.jpg

I'm interested in seeing what R/C hobbies you guys have. Post pics of your R/C vehicles here with their specs :D

Hurrvish
March 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d0-oCIJXfbc :D

SnaFuBAR
March 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
.... i mean R/C that requires you to get your ass off the computer...

Varmint260
March 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Just a small Radioshack HackSaw remote control truck. Two gears, high and low, headlights, 4x4, forward, backwards and steering left and right. Pretty basic. Don't have a digital camera on me, else I'd get you a pic. Not that it's that exciting... lol. Gets stuck on small 2 inch high bumps, but it's really fun on the slick ice (you can peel out, do 180s, even 360s if you're fast enough). Also lifts front end off floor in low gear on carpet. In any case, I would love a small R/C gasoline powered plane, but I can't afford one on top of my other costs.

Btd69
March 7th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Get some cells for it SnaF, we put too many in my mates plane; it did 3 flips before smashing into his car :P

I_Am_Error117
March 7th, 2007, 10:20 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d0-oCIJXfbc :D

I should try this on one of the 9999999999 Bg servers, and then use my hog army to splatter 10 noobs ate once, lol

And snaf AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER what is that??

cool helicopter MODEL though, THAT YOU ARE GOING TO PUT INTo HALO

CAPS=sarcasm

rossmum
March 8th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Ooh, pretty <3

I build model planes from time to time, want to get one of the huge 1:5 scale Spitfire Vs they sell in England though :3

Or a Mosquito.

V0Lt4Ge
March 8th, 2007, 02:40 AM
I used to have a couple RC hover crafts a long time ago. Those things were awesome...

SnaFuBAR
March 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Get some cells for it SnaF, we put too many in my mates plane; it did 3 flips before smashing into his car :P
lol he smashed it into his car. buahahahahaaa:lmao: he must've felt real smart after that.

i was thinking more like dual brusless motors and custom body and retractable landing gear. before i up the voltage on the cells, i need to know the max that the esc can handle.

Cortexian
March 8th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I got into flying real helicopters awile ago, it also requires you to get off your computer. My hobby beats your hobby. Yes I have my pilots license, no there isn't an age limit to get it.

Pooky
March 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
IMAGE NOT POSTED FOR CONTENT, NOT SAFE FOR WORK (http://www.romanticgifts.com/remconvibdis.html)

<_<

Well, you asked for our R/C hobbies

SnaFuBAR
March 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I got into flying real helicopters awile ago, it also requires you to get off your computer. My hobby beats your hobby. Yes I have my pilots license, no there isn't an age limit to get it.
irrelevant to r/c hobbies thread. :gtfo: kthx

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
March 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
IMAGE NOT POSTED FOR CONTENT, NOT SAFE FOR WORK (http://www.romanticgifts.com/remconvibdis.html)

<_<

Well, you asked for our R/C hobbiesLmao, what the fuck.

Pred1ator
March 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM

<_<

that made my day :lmao:

rossmum
March 9th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Is it safe to click that? 0_o

V0Lt4Ge
March 9th, 2007, 01:53 AM

<_<

Hey! It's water-proof!

Reaper Man
March 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Uhh... I have an R/C boat, I'll get pics later.

Pooky
March 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Is it safe to click that? 0_o

Yes, there's nothing gross

rossmum
March 12th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Sounds like a perspective issue to me, mister.

Timo
March 12th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Does an Xbox 360 count? It is remotely controlled.

Hotrod
March 12th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Lol. No, Xbox 360 doesn't count as a R\C hobby because it isn't technically controlled by a remote, it's controlled by a controller (not the same thing).

Pooky
March 13th, 2007, 01:18 AM
I know people who call game controllers remotes...

Timo
March 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Lol. No, Xbox 360 doesn't count as a R\C hobby because it isn't technically controlled by a remote, it's controlled by a controller (not the same thing).

But it is remotely controlled, via a wireless controller.

Leiukemia
March 13th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Post pics of your R/C vehicles here with their specsI can't recall the last person who referred to a 360 as a vehicle...

Timo
March 13th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I'm interested in seeing what R/C hobbies you guys have.
I do recall having a hobby in remote controlled xbox consoles :o

Hotrod
March 13th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Did those Xboxs happen to have wheels and move around? *sarcasm*

Pooky
March 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Did those Xboxs happen to have wheels and move around?

Hotrod, R/C means remote controlled

A wireless Xbox controller controls functions of the Xbox remotely, thus making it a remote control. Remote controlled cars operate on the same principal, the remote controller controls them REMOTELY. See a pattern?

Hotrod
March 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Yes, i know what R\C means. I'm just saying that this topic is about R\C hobbies such as R\C cars or helicopters and not Xboxs. And in case you didn't realize it, I was being sarcastic when I said that (the Xbox with wheels comment).

SnaFuBAR
March 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM
i clearly stated it's r/c vehicles. ffs do you people ever go outside? hurr hurr my xbox hurr r/c warthog on bg. if you guys can't contribute to the thread, please shut the fuck up.

Xetsuei
March 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM
http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/maxx/tmaxx/trx_tmaxx_over.htm

Hotrod
March 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM
The T-MAXX looks very cool, now I'm jealous... How much does it cost?

Con
March 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM
That's pretty cool. I have a cousin that does pro RC helicopter stunts in competitions. He's damn good at it, really entertaining to watch. All I've had for RC's are monster trucks. I had fun with them though :)

stalker 4589
March 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM
im getting a new r/c car soon &#163;475 from a localish retailer. comes with a evo 7 and a 555 impreza shell. going to buy a skyline and a civic type R one when i get sum more money.. dont know the specs ill post them as soon as i get it.

wonder how hard it would be to make a warthog shell :D

SnaFuBAR
March 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
sounds cool stalker.
xet, that's one hell of a truck, man! have any upgrades or plan on any?

as far as r/c monster trucks goes, i've only got a venom mini-giant. was relatively inexpensive, but i got it to dice it up and get the basics. i've managed to shoehorn a larger aircraft motor and a 7cell pack into it, was pretty fast. was fun running over x-mods that belong to the neighborhood kids with it :p. venom was slow (excruiatingly slow) to make upgrade parts available for it, so it found a place in my closet. once i have access to a laser cutter again, i'll make custom cantilever suspension, and upgrade som stuff.

Hotrod
March 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
A R\C warthog would be very cool. I would buy it (who wouldn't?). But the problem would be making it work right, each of the warthog's wheels have their own motor. Anyways, imagine a R\C scorpion too!

SnaFuBAR
March 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM
A R\C warthog would be very cool. I would buy it (who wouldn't?). But the problem would be making it work right, each of the warthog's wheels have their own motor. Anyways, imagine a R\C scorpion too!
neither of those things are too hard, really.

stalker 4589
March 13th, 2007, 09:16 PM
nah rear wheel drive hog would suit me fine id go drifting my life away on the dirt track round the corner from me :D :D

Xetsuei
March 13th, 2007, 11:43 PM
sounds cool stalker.
xet, that's one hell of a truck, man! have any upgrades or plan on any?

Don't have any upgrades. I got the truck when I was like 8, about a month ago the engine died so I'm going to buy a new one.

How much does it cost?
That one cost about $300

stalker 4589
March 13th, 2007, 11:46 PM
looking at that monster truck i wonder if getting a warthog shell made for that would be easier

Xetsuei
March 13th, 2007, 11:48 PM
looking at that monster truck i wonder if getting a warthog shell made for that would be easier

With the way the shells are designed for that one, it would look very odd. :gonk:

SnaFuBAR
March 15th, 2007, 03:32 AM
well i was thinking about an R/C sub, but... yeah... they're in the thousands.

so forget that crap.

rossmum
March 15th, 2007, 04:05 AM
There are some guys around here who build little fibreglass/balsa RC ships with air cannons (like BB guns on crack), they go around in shallow ponds sinking each other for fun. Best bit? All you need is some bondo and fresh paint and you're good to go again. <3

SnaFuBAR
March 15th, 2007, 04:35 AM
i'm absolutely capable of doing that, but i'd rather not take the time do do so. call it the lazy path, because it is... but i'd rather have something perfectly balanced right away than to tinker and get it figured out bit by bit.

Leiukemia
March 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Lazy bum. That boat thing ross mentioned sounds really fun. Something to do while you go camping on the lake. If only I knew anything about remote controlled stuff and electronics, or I'd design my own car or boat. I've never had a big truck sadly. Always been those littler rc cars, which are still quite fun. I couldn't ever see myself wanting a submarine though. You can only see it to a certain point below the water. What's the point of a submarine that can't even go to the bottom of the lake?

SnaFuBAR
March 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM
the rc subs are quite capable of diving to 30+ feet. if you can do a dual skin hull, have enough battery life, and an antenna teather (r/c radio can't penetrate deep enough into water beyond the 30 ft) you can absolutley dive to the bottom of a lake with one. but if you do that, you would probably want to add a video cam in the hull ;).

if i get the money, it's something i'll pursue.

TeeKup
March 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM

<_<

.........ROFL

rossmum
March 15th, 2007, 11:50 PM
the rc subs are quite capable of diving to 30+ feet. if you can do a dual skin hull, have enough battery life, and an antenna teather (r/c radio can't penetrate deep enough into water beyond the 30 ft) you can absolutley dive to the bottom of a lake with one. but if you do that, you would probably want to add a video cam in the hull ;).

if i get the money, it's something i'll pursue.
Sounds like win. Wish I had the money :|

I have a model rocket (which I haven't flown for about 8 years... holy shit... might have to take it out again sometime soon), and I used to have a few RC trucks. I think I still have the RC Fisher-Price car I got when I was about a year old somewhere, my sister played with it as a kid... still going strong, too, after dad cleaned the battery contacts off. Built to last, especially considering how many times it came to grief down the stairs/into the walls/under kitchen appliances, plus 3 international relocations XD

Actually, I could really go for an RC tank. I went to the Newcastle Hobby Show with some friends about 4 years ago (that's where I saw those ships), and there were some guys driving a pair of 2-foot Tiger Is around the floor with turning turrets, elevating guns, working tracks, and when they pressed the 'fire' button an LED lit at the muzzle of the 88mm and it made a sound, then the gun actually recoiled...

They cost like, $3,000 :|

stalker 4589
March 16th, 2007, 12:44 AM
my only current R/C vehical is a cimeria made subaru impreza 555. does about 25-30 mph and wheels spins like its life depends on it. i had two but some nasty fat lady reversed her stupid estate car thing on it :(

ill try and get pics