PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Vista X06 Press Kit Content

TheGhost
September 27th, 2006, 05:23 PM
The press kit for Halo 2 Vista on xbox.com's X06 Press Kit page (http://www.xbox.com/en-us/press/default.htm) contains a number of new screenshots and a facts sheet, which are being hosted locally here for your convenience.

Click each screen shot to enlarge and view at full 1920x1200 resolution.

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/IvoryTower.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/IvoryTower_3rdPersonAction.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/IvoryTower_DualWield.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/IvoryTower_Melee.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/IvoryTower_PlasmaBlast.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/IvoryTower_Ramp.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/IvoryTower_SniperSword.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/Lockout.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/Lockout_SMGNeedler.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/Midship_DualPLasma.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/Midship_PlasmaNeedler.jpg

http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/midship1.jpg

The information from the fact sheet is as follows:

“Halo 2” for Windows Vista

Fact Sheet
September 2006

Title: “Halo 2” for Windows Vista

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Developer: Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie Studios

Format: DVD for the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system

ESRB Rating: M for Mature

Availability: Q1 of 2007

Pricing: Pending

Product Overview:
The entertainment phenomenon that conquered the digital universe is once again out to save the planet as the award-winning, best-selling “Halo 2” is coming to the Windows Vista platform. Optimized for the advanced gaming features in Windows Vista, “Halo 2” promises to revolutionize the first-person shooter experience for Windows gamers, as it did for consoles. With its classic story, enhanced visual presentation, multiplayer excitement and all-new Map Editor, “Halo 2” for Windows Vista offers more game customization and new content than ever before.

Windows Vista gamers will be able to experience the epic story of “Halo 2” as Master Chief delves further into the mystery of the Covenant in the aftermath of Halo’s destruction. What he discovers will soon threaten the fate not only of Earth, but of the Universe itself.

Key Features:

• Epic Narrative: The saga continues with “Halo 2,” the international award-winning sequel to the highly successful and critically acclaimed “Halo: Combat Evolved.” In this sequel, the battle comes to Earth, and Master Chief, a genetically enhanced super soldier, is the only thing standing between the relentless alien Covenant and the destruction of all humankind.

• Exciting Single-Player Gameplay: Experience first hand the epic struggle between Master Chief and the Covenant armada. Brandish dual-wield weapons Covenant arms and pilot human and non-human vehicles and aircraft to battle intelligent AI alien enemies.

• Unmatched Online Gaming: “Halo 2” for Windows Vista will tap into the power of Live Anywhere, a service similar to Xbox Live, to deliver online matchmaking for PC gamers. The service will enable Windows Vista gamers all over the globe to connect via their PCs and play on an innovative and competitive online forum.

• New Multiplayer Map Editor: The game will also feature the all-new new Map Editor, guaranteeing additional new, fan-generated content in the future. The “Halo 2” community can now tap their endless creative potential to develop an unlimited number of user-created multiplayer levels.

• Complete Community Freedom: “Halo 2” for Windows Vista offers gamers the freedom to host their own dedicated servers for maximum multiplayer action.

• Superior Presentation and Cinematic Excellence: Bring the vast, imaginative world of “Halo 2” to life on the Windows Vista platform through higher-resolution textures and improved lighting effects. Experience the unmatched cinematic quality of “Halo 2” through the power of Windows Vista.

• Unprecedented Pedigree: The “Halo” franchise is one of the best selling and monumental entertainment experiences in history with more than 14.5 million units sold worldwide, more than 18 Game-of-the-Year awards, 750 million hours and 500 million matches logged over Xbox Live. “Halo 2” was also one of the most successful entertainment launches of all time – including books, films, graphic novels, games and music. “Halo 2” for Windows Vista brings this incredible experience to Windows Vista gamers everywhere.

Developer Information:

Bungie Studios was founded in 1991 with two goals: to develop games that combine brilliant technology, beautiful art, intelligent stories and deep gameplay, and then sell enough of those games to achieve its real goal of total world domination. Over the past 10 years it has produced games such as the “Marathon Trilogy” and the first two “Myth” games, hailed as classics by critics and gamers around the world. Bungie’s “Halo” franchise is an international award-winning action title that has grown into a global entertainment phenomenon, selling more than 14.5 million units worldwide, logging over 750 million hours of multiplayer action on Xbox Live and
spawning action figures, books, a graphic novel, apparel, an upcoming film adaptation and more. Bungie is currently at work on “Halo 3,” which represents the third chapter in this “Halo” trilogy and is slated for release in 2007. More information on Bungie can be found at http://www.bungie.net/.

# # #

The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a prerelease product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.

For more information, press only:
Tom Stratton, Edelman, (323) 202-1039 tom.stratton@edelman.com
Joe DiMiero, Edelman, (323) 202-1063, joe.dimiero@edelman.com

~ZMT~Trace
September 27th, 2006, 05:32 PM
ok, I am going to get Vista no matter what now.

Zeph
September 27th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I'm confused with the last picture. Namely the light panel showing jagged edges.

TheGhost
September 27th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I'm confused with the last picture. Namely the light panel showing jagged edges.
What exactly are you referring to?

And it looks like they implemented the bloom mapping.

Nic
September 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM
1337 Guys.

Sco
September 27th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Nvm
Looks way better than before. Might consider getting it now.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Wow. Bungie was right when they said the textures and stuff were being redone at their recent Podcast! The graphics look fantastic!

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Wow, today is going greatly, 1st I get to be made into a Mod, and now this, this is going to be cool, I'm going to get Halo 2 Vista.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Wow, today is going greatly, 1st I get to be made into a Mod, and now this, this is going to be cool, I'm going to get Halo 2 Vista.

Me too, man!:lol:

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
What, you got truned in to a Mod?

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
What, you got truned in to a Mod?

No, I mean I'm gonna get Halo 2 Vista too!:lol: And what do you mean when you say you got turned into a Mod?

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Ok, just so you know, you should Edit things like that out, and I got promoted to be a Mod at This Spartan Life Forums (http://www.thisspartanlife.com/forums/), right now I'm a Mod in Training, and the Forums are Down, the Page says, "We are updating the forums once again.....sorry for the inconvenience". I would like to get one of the Admins to fix it so it says, "Sorry, we got really board and we have some new things that we want to add to the Forums, so Sorry for the inconvenience."
Oh and one more thing that made today even better is Halo wars Trailer, now that is cool.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Ok, just so you know, you should Edit things like that out, and I got promoted to be a Mod at This Spartan Life Forums (http://www.thisspartanlife.com/forums/), right now I'm a Mod in Training, and the Forums are Down, the Page says, "We are updating the forums once again.....sorry for the inconvenience". I would like to get one of the Admins to fix it so it says, "Sorry, we got really board and we have some new things that we want to add to the Forums, so Sorry for the inconvenience."
Oh and one more thing that made today even better is Halo wars Trailer, now that is cool.

I do. I was just a little tired then. (talking about the first sentence)

Phil
September 27th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Anyone else notice Nitro's name in one of those screenies? ;)

itszutak
September 27th, 2006, 07:39 PM

:O

Zomg.

TheGhost
September 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM
He's also the one meleeing the wall.

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 07:55 PM
He's also the one meleeing the wall.
Why would he be Meleeing the Wall, what did the Wall ever do to him?

Agamemnon
September 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Lets see those kids cry about bad graphics now. Ugh, too tired to update FAQ. I'll do it tomorrow.

Chewy Gumball
September 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Lol, I showed some guy on xfire who I knew to be an xbox fanboy and he said it looks exactly like h2xbox. I laughed at him.

DOMINATOR
September 27th, 2006, 08:15 PM
why does it say hold "x" to pick up weapon?
hmm... lazy or its xbox

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Maybe you actually hold "x" on the keyboard.

InnerGoat
September 27th, 2006, 08:22 PM
why does it say hold "x" to pick up weapon?
hmm... lazy or its xbox

Xbox controller on PC.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Xbox controller on PC.

How do you do that?

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Ya, I know a guy that is a Halo fan boy, and I told him that Bungie was making halo 2 for the PC and he said that it would never happen, and he even said that Halo 2 on the Xbox is Much better then it will ever be on the PC, and I said that he was wrong, it was funny, I think that Halo 2 Vista is going to be a hole lot better then halo 2 for the Xbox, the GFX will be better, some of the Game play will be better, and to top it off, the Hi Dif on the Computers are much better then even the best Hi Dif TVs that is out right now.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Ya, I know a guy that is a Halo fan boy, and I told him that Bungie was making halo 2 for the PC and he said that it would never happen, and he even said that Halo 2 on the Xbox is Much better then it will ever be on the PC, and I said that he was wrong, it was funny, I think that Halo 2 Vista is going to be a hole lot better then halo 2 for the Xbox, the GFX will be better, some of the Game play will be better, and to top it off, the Hi Dif on the Computers are much better then even the best Hi Dif TVs that is out right now.

I agree with you 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000% of that.

Phil
September 27th, 2006, 08:45 PM
How do you do that?

The Xbox 360 controllers use a USB jack. They probably just did that.

DOMINATOR
September 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Xbox controller on PC.

makes sense but why even use the PC lol. oh the irony

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM
The Xbox 360 controllers use a USB jack. They probably just did that.

Where can I find a USB Jack?

Zeph
September 27th, 2006, 09:24 PM
What exactly are you referring to?

And it looks like they implemented the bloom mapping.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/zeph483/this.jpg

Those edges. Compared to the rest of the pictures, they're obscenely jagged.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 09:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/zeph483/this.jpg

Those edges. Compared to the rest of the pictures, they're obscenely jagged.

Oh, I see them. That needs to be fixed immediately!

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM
makes sense but why even use the PC lol. oh the irony
The better GFX and the Xbox you got such a small feld to work with, and the PC you have a huge Feild to work with, they've said that in a few of their Updates, and in the Podcast they made.

Where can I find a USB Jack?
Back of you Computer, it is one thing that you pluge your Jump drive, Zip drive, USB mouse, USB Key Boards, and other things, most Key Boards and Mice are now USB, Bolth of my Mice and my Key Board is USB, most things all put Speakers and Computer screens are starting to become USB Pluges.

Elite Killa
September 27th, 2006, 10:06 PM

Shouldn't he be working on H2CE?

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 10:11 PM
No, he got promoted to Bungie H2V team I think, and I still want to know why he is Meleeing the Wall.

mech
September 27th, 2006, 10:58 PM
:eyesroll: Cool, no elites.

TheGhost
September 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
The shaders probably don't look good on them yet or something.

Stealth
September 27th, 2006, 11:28 PM
No, just most of the Beta Testers are playing as Spartans, but I think some of the pics that you posted here ,TheGhost, has a few Elite FP, but I don't know, I do know that there is one or two Elite FP at Bungie.net, and Ya I haven't seen any Elites in the Screen shots, I'll ask some one at Bugnie why that is the case, and if they can get some with Elites, just so we don't get sad that they did way with the Elites.

Zeph
September 27th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Lets see those kids cry about bad graphics now. Ugh, too tired to update FAQ. I'll do it tomorrow.

Didn't see this post earlier, but I AM complaining. For a title that can output at 1900x1200, the detail is terrible; both first person ans slightly third. Even though the bump map system is supposed to make things look 3D, it cant make up for such flat geometry. Bump mapping should be done for texture details, not replacing geometry.

edit: Although I started this argument based on things like the needler, fp arms, and walls close up, I found a great example of how the geometry needs desparate overhaul to make the game look like it warranted a port to PC.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/zeph483/bump_cheating.jpg

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 12:06 AM
wow, that is flat, if they remake it, they should make it a hole lot better, I'll point that out next time I have something I would like to ask Frankie or KP, and I'll see if i can get any where with that, I think I've seen better looking things that Bungie made, but that just looks like the put in new textures, and not go in and make it look more like a detailed model of a Tree.

Boo Diddly
September 28th, 2006, 12:12 AM
its kinda hard to make a texture bend geometry. It looks liek those trees have just 4 sides... I would have gone with at least 8 sides per tree to make them sorta round...

mind you that this is nothalo 2.5

Nic
September 28th, 2006, 12:27 AM
And Hah.

Welcome Nitro to the forums.

MereCatfish
September 28th, 2006, 12:32 AM
"will tap into the power of Live Anywhere, a service similar to Xbox Live, to deliver online matchmaking for PC gamers."

NitrousOxide
September 28th, 2006, 12:38 AM
For the record, that damn wall has a real foul sense of humor, and it pulled the last straw with me when it started cracking on my new loafers...

Hello all!! Some of you know me (obviously from the above posts). For those who don't, I am an average no-namer who set out to create a cool Halo 2-inspired mod for Halo CE, along with the help of a select few buddies, and proved to be lucky enough to hit the big time with Bungie over in Kirkland working on Halo 2 Vista.

I'll try to answer a few questions you guys have without violating my NDA.

The reason for the "Press X to pick up n00brifle" is for exactly what is being speculated. A lot of the testers over here prefer to use USB Xbox 360 controllers in their tests. They like the familiar feel, and I assure you, the controls and feel are identical to that of Xbox, so rest assured Xbox fanboys, this game suits you too.

As you could imagine, the game is not yet done and the shaders are still being worked on every day. The screenshots you see, although still beautiful (took some of those myself, TVM =P ), they only display the current state of the game. Most inaccuracies you see will/have already been fixed. Every day when we all go and grab the newest build, there is always at least one visual thing in the game that makes you say "Oooh, that came out nice!!". This game is visually STUNNING when seen in person, and played at high-res. It runs particularly well on the systems we have over here at Bungie, and I see no problems on the horizon for performance. At least a few times a day, one of the Xbox guys will come over, and become mesmerized by the beauty being displayed on my screen. I have an Xbox debug kit on my desk as well, and it is always running Halo 2 in high-definition on a kick-ass TV, and Halo 2 Vista puts it to absolute shame. Halo 2 Xbox just doesn't compare, even when in high-def. Screenshots will NEVER do this game justice. Do not judge it by simple in game shots.

Yes, Elites are still a multiplayer option. They just didn't seem to be used in that playtest. I guess no one fealt like being one *shrug*

The map editor!!!11!111 I wish I could just spew out information to the masses about it, but I have a red dot aiming on my forehead as is!!! Just be sure that Halo 2 Vista is going to revolutionize what we know about Halo. Halo CE ain't got nothin' on this, and you can quote me on that. You'll never go back. Welcome to your new lifestyle, ladies.

I'll drop on in here and answer some questions when I can. Please don't bombard me, and DO NOT ask me to do anything that would jeapordize my job.

Cheers!

- Nitrous

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 12:42 AM
"will tap into the power of Live Anywhere, a service similar to Xbox Live, to deliver online matchmaking for PC gamers."

Well that will make machinima making easier for the PC, and now I don't have to check my Typing before hiting "Enter" and Now I can really Add that Real LOL too all of my Funny Deaths, oh and yes, Welcome Nitro, nice to see you, Plz feel free to Tell us to Wait a Few more months longer for some more Updates on Halo 2 Vista.

Reaper Man
September 28th, 2006, 12:55 AM
;_; /me wants h2v

Nic
September 28th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Yea dont we all mr reaper.

And we know that halo2 vista will be better than halo2 xbox.

mech
September 28th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Take some UI pics :O
Okay some questions.
Is there a ranking system?
Does the needler have the holes modeled in or is it just me?
Are there any vehicles ingame yet?

NitrousOxide
Didn't see this post earlier, but I AM complaining. For a title that can output at 1900x1200, the detail is terrible; both first person ans slightly third. Even though the bump map system is supposed to make things look 3D, it cant make up for such flat geometry. Bump mapping should be done for texture details, not replacing geometry.

edit: Although I started this argument based on things like the needler, fp arms, and walls close up, I found a great example of how the geometry needs desparate overhaul to make the game look like it warranted a port to PC.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/zeph483/bump_cheating.jpg

Alright, let me try to address this, because some of you guys are saying things that don't make sense.

First of all, bump mapping is bothed used for shader enhancement and geometry substitution. See, in a game, especially one as graphically enhanced as Halo 2, the developers need to make sacrifices to keep the game running as a decent framerate. Completely redoing those trees to replace the bum pmapping with actual geometry would be an extremely expensive (meaning performance-wise, not money). We would be turning a simple tree that is maybe a few hundred polys into this massive mesh of a several thousand polys. Something like this that has such an insignificant visual impact would not be worth the massive performance hit. All of the trees in that scene probably total around 1,000 polys. Now imagine EACH TREE being several thousand polys. No thanks, I'll take the bump mapping, which looks nearly just as good unless you sit there and study it. :)

Please don't be so quick to judge and say the detail is 'terrible', because it definately is not. See, this is a direct Xbox to PC port, and the detail in this game by FAR exceeds was is expected for an Xbox title. Halo 2 is more like a game that originated on the PC, and ended up on the Xbox, due to the amount of careful visual detail.

The game definately does not need a graphical overhaul, although it is getting one. Like I said earlier, a lot of this stuff is very early and the shaders are intensely under the knife at the moment. So far, there have been some graphical improvements to some weapons. I don't know exactly which ones are finished yet, because it's not my area, but for one I can take a look at the Battle Rifle in FP and get a little tingly feeling...

I think you're being a little too critical. Please don't be so quick to judge.

- Nitrous

Reaper Man
<3 the new hi-res normal maps and textures... total freakin win

Zeph
September 28th, 2006, 01:07 AM
its kinda hard to make a texture bend geometry. It looks liek those trees have just 4 sides... I would have gone with at least 8 sides per tree to make them sorta round...

mind you that this is nothalo 2.5
No, this isn't Halo 2.5. This is Halo 2 on a hardware up to hundreds of times better on resolutions up to 30 times larger, costing the consumer 3/4 to 2 and 1/2 times as much (assuming the TV and computer hardware are not factored in. Basically saying that you have to buy the xbox/OS and the game).

Not only that, but the decision for the game to be put on Vista was a developement decision. Vista is much greater for gaming, so why is the geometry still simple boxes with a texture mapping system designed to make lower resolutions look much better.

Edit: Didn't see the second page with Nitro's posts.

First off, good to see you again Nitro. GBX was black and brown last time I talked on a board with you. I do agree that it would be rather costly to redo the geometry, but I was under the assumption that was part of the graphic overhaul. Yeah, if you were to enhance the above mentioned trees, the polycount would skyrocket. I pointed out the trees simply because they're an extreme. I was more focused about the fp objects.

Nic
September 28th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Yea I understand what your saying Nitro.

Something as small as a tree, being thousand polys, wouldnt make sense, but to ahve it 100 polys and a nice bump map, looks almost the same. But for a weapon, bump maps wont cut it, expecially in first person. Thats one of the most studied objects really, so yea imo scenery = mostly bump map, weapons = mostly geometry.

mech
September 28th, 2006, 01:12 AM
From the looks of it, the tree appears to be a 4 sided box...With variation as it goes up. So what would be wrong with making it 8 sided?

Zeph
September 28th, 2006, 01:19 AM
From the looks of it, the tree appears to be a 4 sided box...With variation as it goes up. So what would be wrong with making it 8 sided?

I'd make it 5 or 7 sided and lower the bump depth. I'd also try to brighten up the dark/blacker areas to a more organic brown to try and lose a part of that subconsciously percieved depth. But then again, I'm 3/4ths across the country with no source-access.

Also, Nitro, think you could get some confirmation on single player capabilities with the H2EK in the next update?

rossmum
September 28th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Nitro, can you see if that thing will run with more than 10fps on a 1.5GHz P4, FX5200 and 512MB of RAM?

Oh, wait... stupid question... I'll just go put myself out of my misery now. *eats plasma grenade*

~A.
September 28th, 2006, 04:19 AM
^lol.

Those screenies look awesome. Waaay better than what I would've expected out of this and it is still being worked on. Can't wait to see the final thing.

Nowai! Hi Nitro!

Rescudo
September 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Oh my god, I am SO getting this game.:cool:

Yeah, first thing I saw... ;)

Lol, I showed some guy on xfire who I knew to be an xbox fanboy and he said it looks exactly like h2xbox. I laughed at him.

...Nice observation. :eyesroll:

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Man My last post last night tied in to Nitro's Update, and I didn't even see tell now.

InnerGoat
September 28th, 2006, 09:18 AM

As you could imagine, the game is not yet done and the shaders are still being worked on every day. The screenshots you see, although still beautiful (took some of those myself, TVM =P ), they only display the current state of the game. Most inaccuracies you see will/have already been fixed. Every day when we all go and grab the newest build, there is always at least one visual thing in the game that makes you say "Oooh, that came out nice!!". This game is visually STUNNING when seen in person, and played at high-res. It runs particularly well on the systems we have over here at Bungie, and I see no problems on the horizon for performance. At least a few times a day, one of the Xbox guys will come over, and become mesmerized by the beauty being displayed on my screen. I have an Xbox debug kit on my desk as well, and it is always running Halo 2 in high-definition on a kick-ass TV, and Halo 2 Vista puts it to absolute shame. Halo 2 Xbox just doesn't compare, even when in high-def. Screenshots will NEVER do this game justice. Do not judge it by simple in game shots.

I'll drop on in here and answer some questions when I can. Please don't bombard me, and DO NOT ask me to do anything that would jeapordize my job.

Cheers!

- NitrousYeah I got some questions for ya that I hope you can answer. Damn NDA, I hate them too :o

- What are the specs of the system that those screenshots came from?
- Does Anti-aliasing work?
- Does Bungie have G80? :eek:

MereCatfish
September 28th, 2006, 11:32 AM
All I really, REALLY, want to know is whether there will be a server browser or not. The Xbox.com press thing mentions matchmaking. I won't be that happy if it is matchmaking :(.

Oh yeah, HELLO NITRO!!! <3

rossmum
September 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM
If people can host deds I'd assume that you can switch between browsing and matchmaking or something.

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I think I have a few that I would like to ask, but give me about a week and I'll come up with some, right now I'm Drifting a House plane for Drifting right now, and I'm geting Debug Errors every time I Click on a Wall. I really hate SoftPlan!! I like Drafting in Turbo CAD!!!
Edit | Hey did any one other then me see Banana in this Pic?
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1126/h2vlockout02ch0.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=h2vlockout02ch0.jpg)
I think it is BB, or some one else.

Cortexian
September 28th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I doubt its Bitter Banana...

I <3 How stupid the ppl at gbx were in the Nitro thread :)

Boo Diddly
September 28th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I just have 1 question, very important question. Is the map editor guerilla/sapien/tool or something else?

TheGhost
September 28th, 2006, 06:17 PM
It has been announced that it is (Weekly Updates).

Boo Diddly
September 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM
oh, nm then...

*now i do remember >.<*

well, I have a diffrent question. tool ui or not?

StankBacon
September 28th, 2006, 06:28 PM
i REALLYYYYYYYY hope there is no matchmaking.

server browser will be 100% better.

Elite Killa
September 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM
i REALLYYYYYYYY hope there is no matchmaking.

server browser will be 100% better.

I don't want matchmaking either. Most of the games on Halo 2 matchmaking I didn't like.

Elite Killa
September 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I think I have a few that I would like to ask, but give me about a week and I'll come up with some, right now I'm Drifting a House plane for Drifting right now, and I'm geting Debug Errors every time I Click on a Wall. I really hate SoftPlan!! I like Drafting in Turbo CAD!!!
Edit | Hey did any one other then me see Banana in this Pic?
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1126/h2vlockout02ch0.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=h2vlockout02ch0.jpg)
I think it is BB, or some one else.
It could be just a random name.

Stealth
September 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Ya, but it would be cool if it was BB.

NitrousOxide
September 29th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Guys, there is a buttload of questions you have asked that I know the answers to, but I don't know if would be ok to tell yet. I'll ask if it's ok to answer a few of them.

Regarding the whole visual upgrading convo, that is happening with most, if not all FP weapons already. We are res-ing up a lot of visual stuff on the FP weapons, and so far the changes look AMAZING. The Battle Rifle makes me think naughty things.

No, that isn't BitterBanana, that's just one of the default names it gives you when you don't have a profile. You know, it's the classic Halo random names like Soffish, Slappy, and Willshire.

Also, guys, as a side note, do not judge from the older screenshots (<September), as a lot of graphical settings were disabled then due to craptacular shader issues. Notice some shots have no bumpmapping, no detail maps, etc.. Do not judge the visual integrity of the game from those shots.

Again, guys, like I said before, my job means more to me than spilling beans, so I'll go clear it with a few people first before I go telling sup4s3cre7z.

Stealth
September 29th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Hey thanks for that, Ok I know that you may not even tell me this, but is there any new maps by the Name of Ghosts of Reach? I hope not, that is a Name that I would like to have for my Map that I'm trying to make for Halo 2 Vista.

TheGhost
September 29th, 2006, 07:22 PM
The map editor!!!11!111 I wish I could just spew out information to the masses about it, but I have a red dot aiming on my forehead as is!!! Just be sure that Halo 2 Vista is going to revolutionize what we know about Halo. Halo CE ain't got nothin' on this, and you can quote me on that. You'll never go back. Welcome to your new lifestyle, ladies.
I'll take your word for it then. Since you're an HEK vet, I assume I will like it too. :)

They're not dumbing it down or removing features... are they?

Timo
September 29th, 2006, 07:36 PM
http://www.h2vista.net/forums/news/images/IvoryTower_SniperSword.jpg
The guy on the lefts gun o_o?

http://www.h2vista.net/forums/news/images/Midship_DualPLasma.jpg
blue radar?

Reaper Man
September 29th, 2006, 07:47 PM
that's a carbine you fool :P

~ZMT~Trace
September 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Mr. Nirto, i have but one question, Will The Map Maker allow SP maps and UI creation?

rossmum
September 30th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Hey thanks for that, Ok I know that you may not even tell me this, but is there any new maps by the Name of Ghosts of Reach? I hope not, that is a Name that I would like to have for my Map that I'm trying to make for Halo 2 Vista.
Even I can tell you that. Most likely there isn't.

Also lol @ Timo... it's a carbine, ph00l. :rolleyes:

Zeph
September 30th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Guys, there is a buttload of questions you have asked that I know the answers to, but I don't know if would be ok to tell yet. I'll ask if it's ok to answer a few of them.

Regarding the whole visual upgrading convo, that is happening with most, if not all FP weapons already. We are res-ing up a lot of visual stuff on the FP weapons, and so far the changes look AMAZING. The Battle Rifle makes me think naughty things.

No, that isn't BitterBanana, that's just one of the default names it gives you when you don't have a profile. You know, it's the classic Halo random names like Soffish, Slappy, and Willshire.

Also, guys, as a side note, do not judge from the older screenshots (<September), as a lot of graphical settings were disabled then due to craptacular shader issues. Notice some shots have no bumpmapping, no detail maps, etc.. Do not judge the visual integrity of the game from those shots.

Again, guys, like I said before, my job means more to me than spilling beans, so I'll go clear it with a few people first before I go telling sup4s3cre7z.

None of us want you to lose your job over anything. It's just that as the CE community, we've always been left in the dark over things that are commontongue for us and it has shown itself more than clearly with the H2V PR. In all honesty, I think it'd be best if the 'noob style' updates were left in the dust. With H2V, people are going to be down and dirty with the engine on a tag level, so why have such "information-less" updates?

I think it would be wise to say what is planned for the H2EK release. I know that it is still in developement and everything can change, but that shouldn't interfere with what we all know is to come with Prometheus. I dont know what it might seem to you, but a simple update saying that H2EKers would be able to do everything, ranging from scripts to recorded animations would leave me content until launch.

There's actually a campaign in the making. Each time a new model or animation is made, the uncertainty of actually being able to put it into H2V as it's intended grabs and twists our kidneys.

Agamemnon
September 30th, 2006, 05:01 AM

Hah, I knew those screens weren't with the highest graphical output and with some feature disabled! Though that begs the question of why would you guys even post them in the first place?

Also, I'll take your word for it, considering you used to be one of us guys. Also, if they give you the ok to give out some info, please let me know, as I'm the one in charge of the H2V FAQ around here. ;)

TheGhost
September 30th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Hah, I knew those screens weren't with the highest graphical output and with some feature disabled! Though that begs the question of why would you guys even post them in the first place?
Well, for one, it's an update. An update shows a progression, it shows the progress that the H2V team is making. That's why I think it's stupid when people try to judge something like graphics based on pre-release screens.

Agamemnon
September 30th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Yes, but wouldn't a straight port as in graphics-wise at least boast features that were dismally similar to Halo 2 Xbox and not downgraded from it? Of course, the new ones obviously display the immense improvement over H2X, it's just I expected the first shots to at least display Xbox-esque graphics, not Halo 1.5 graphics.

Zeph
September 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Well, for one, it's an update. An update shows a progression, it shows the progress that the H2V team is making. That's why I think it's stupid when people try to judge something like graphics based on pre-release screens.

I dont think it's stupid when a company like Bungie does so. Their policy has pretty much been you're either not going to see it until release or what you will see is final and we're doing it to simply draw more people in. Unlike the CE community, which typically shows things off from start to finish, Bungie's artists dont want their work to be seen unless it's as good as it can be.

TheGhost
September 30th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Yes, but wouldn't a straight port as in graphics-wise at least boast features that were dismally similar to Halo 2 Xbox and not downgraded from it? Of course, the new ones obviously display the immense improvement over H2X, it's just I expected the first shots to at least display Xbox-esque graphics, not Halo 1.5 graphics.
Well, while they're using the same textures and models, they are still in the process of doing the port. Some things like bump maps and detail maps might not have been implemented yet, so it doesn't look as good as it will yet.

NitrousOxide
September 30th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Well, I know how it is to be an information-starved community member, because oh yeah! Remember? About 2 months ago is WAS ONE!! Now that I'm lucky enough to be on the inside, I'm going to do everything I can to speak on behalf of the community. The questions and concerns you guys have, trust me, I have the same concerns. In my current position on the Vista team, I really don't have any final say on what the fate of the editing kit is, but I definately do have an extreme amount of influence, because one of my main general purposes there is to be the "What do you think of this?" guy. They ask me what I want it to be, and what it should do, what features it should have, etc., because I'm fresh from the forums and I have more general knowledge about Halo modding and development than anyone on the Vista team, and possibly in that entire office to be honest. I find at Bungie, most people are very focuses on their area of profession. Nobody seems to be much of a know-it-all. It seems that the art guys know nothing about level design, and the level designers know nothing about weapons, and the weapons guys know nothing about vehicles, and the vehicles guys know nothing about particle effects, etc. etc.. So me, having a lot of in-depth experience in all aspects og Halo editing, I seem to be very valuable to the tools developers. They started out by asking me questions like "What were features that you wished the HEK had?" and "If you could have changed something about the HEK, what would it be?", and you bet I sat down and thought long and hard about Halo modding, and I gave them a longgggggggg list. Now they ask me more feature-specific questions that I probably shouldn't talk about. What I can say, though, is that if you want to start making maps for Halo 2 right now, model them just as you would for Halo CE. Some things have changed as far as BSP creation goes, and I don't know what I can tell and what i can't. I'll have a good sit down on Monday with my superiors and find out exactly what I can and can't tell. Everything I can tell, I'll spill out right here.

The guy on the left, is me. I'm meleeing that big-mouthed wall with my Carbine. Nothing secret there:)

The blue radar is a bug that I thought was fixed for X06. I guess they didn't get it...

If we're going to support single player, I don't know. See, from what I see of the tools in their current state, and from what the plans are that they are telling me, I think it's WAY too early to start posting 'information'. The biggest fear Bungie has, and this is true for all their titles, is they don't want to say that a game is going to have a certain feature, and then later on in development, for some reason, they have to take it out, and the community shows up at their door with flaming torches and banners. That's why Bungie is so tight lipped about their stuff. So, like I said, I'll tell you what I can, but as of right now, everything is up in the air and we don't know what is going to happen with the tools. I personally hope that it's a cleaned up version of the HEK, or at least has the amount of flexibility. That possibly could not happen though. Maybe they want to allow support for new levels only. I have no idea. Don't quote me on anything.

On Monday, I'll have a good sit down with the higher-ups and see what they'll allow me to tell.

rossmum
September 30th, 2006, 11:41 PM
That's cool.

I remember in Halo 2 where they announced a Splinter Cell-like system of shooting out lights to hide and that never got implemented, but for the most part the guys there stay true to their word and give us what they said they would :)

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 30th, 2006, 11:45 PM
...and the community shows up at their door with flaming torches and banners...If they don't support singleplayer level creation and modding, I'm going to show up at their door with a flaming torch and banner.

TheGhost
September 30th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Mmm... that's really good. Also you should tell them that there's nothing too complicated, nothing too "advanced" that the community can't figure out. You know this as well as all of us. Honestly my biggest fear was that they'd try to "dumb down" the custom content stuff and thus inhibit our ability to do certain things. But that fear is slowly being lifted. That's a very interesting aspect of your job - you are sort of their link to us. I sleep well at night knowing you're acting and advising in our best interests. Keep up the good work! =)

Timo
September 30th, 2006, 11:53 PM
What I can say, though, is that if you want to start making maps for Halo 2 right now, model them just as you would for Halo CE.

<dances>

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 30th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Mmm... that's really good. Also you should tell them that there's nothing too complicated, nothing too "advanced" that the community can't figure out. You know this as well as all of us. Honestly my biggest fear was that they'd try to "dumb down" the custom content stuff and thus inhibit our ability to do certain things. But that fear is slowly being lifted. That's a very interesting aspect of your job - you are sort of their link to us. I sleep well at night knowing you're acting and advising in our best interests. Keep up the good work! =)Yes.

Please, if anything, make it more advanced. I loved dedicating my whole summer to learning the HEK. Great fun I had expirimenting. :)

rossmum
October 1st, 2006, 12:04 AM
Mmm... that's really good. Also you should tell them that there's nothing too complicated, nothing too "advanced" that the community can't figure out. You know this as well as all of us. Honestly my biggest fear was that they'd try to "dumb down" the custom content stuff and thus inhibit our ability to do certain things. But that fear is slowly being lifted. That's a very interesting aspect of your job - you are sort of their link to us. I sleep well at night knowing you're acting and advising in our best interests. Keep up the good work! =)
That, and we'd me seeing more maps released purely for the hell of it.

I like advanced stuff to a degree. I still haven't learned to use any part of the HEK except for Guerilla, which is simple enough for a long-time PC modder, I might learn some more HEK stuff these holidays. :)

Teroh
October 1st, 2006, 12:38 AM
That, and we'd me seeing more maps released purely for the hell of it.

I like advanced stuff to a degree. I still haven't learned to use any part of the HEK except for Guerilla, which is simple enough for a long-time PC modder, I might learn some more HEK stuff these holidays. :)
At least you KNOW something.

Zeph
October 1st, 2006, 12:54 AM
Two months? I thought you've been working there MUCH MUCH longer. Thinking that, I assumed that the office had allready corrupted you.

Anyways, if there's resistance in the office, just talk about how Prometheus will give support for it anyways. At least if Bungie supports single player, then you'll have more control about everything..

rossmum
October 1st, 2006, 04:19 AM
At least you KNOW something.
Tagging is pretty quick and easy to pick up. Most of the functions are either self-explanitory or display info on mouseover (except for some... lol, some of you may know what I'm talking about)... just play around, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Katarn
October 1st, 2006, 12:10 PM
We would be turning a simple tree that is maybe a few hundred polys into this massive mesh of a several thousand polys. Something like this that has such an insignificant visual impact would not be worth the massive performance hit. All of the trees in that scene probably total around 1,000 polys. Now imagine EACH TREE being several thousand polys. No thanks, I'll take the bump mapping, which looks nearly just as good unless you sit there and study it. :)
How would you graphically that H2V compares to games of this generation on the PC, i.e. oblivion/FEAR/Prey/others. Since H2V is a very-boxed-in shooter compared to that of Oblivion, and Oblivion comes through with shining colors in a very large space while still managing to put out 5000 poly rocks with normal maps (no joke). You also say it would be quite a waste of having trees that are several thousand polies, even scarce as they are! Games like Oblivion, Gothic 3, and even oldies like Lineage 2 manage forests full of multi-thousand poly trees including normal maps? Are you saying that the BLAM engine is inferior even in its updated state? Does H2V support HDR or 16x FSAA or 32x AF? Even with all these updates, can you sit here and tell me that H2V won't be made a fool of visually by games coming out at the same time like Bioshock, FEAR extraction point, Gothic 3, Unreal 3, UT 2007, ETQW, and Crysis that support all these features WITH their thousands of multi-thousand poly statics? I mean, the UT3 engine can support million-poly scenes with the next level of technology: virtual displacement maps. BIA3 looks amazing on the X360 with this technology, imagine it on the PC!

On a side note, you really have to turn down the bloom and FSAA factor because it's crossed the threshold to blur, rather than a visually satisfying effect. It looks distinctly bloom, so make a note to the devs that going HDR would be a far better course.

Terry
October 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM
Ok, I have a question...
What are the chances of this working at all on an intel gma 950 :X

TheGhost
October 1st, 2006, 12:21 PM
How would you graphically that H2V compares to games of this generation on the PC, i.e. oblivion/FEAR/Prey/others. Since H2V is a very-boxed-in shooter compared to that of Oblivion, and Oblivion comes through with shining colors in a very large space while still managing to put out 5000 poly rocks with normal maps (no joke). You also say it would be quite a waste of having trees that are several thousand polies, even scarce as they are! Games like Oblivion, Gothic 3, and even oldies like Lineage 2 manage forests full of multi-thousand poly trees including normal maps? Are you saying that the BLAM engine is inferior even in its updated state? Does H2V support HDR or 16x FSAA or 32x AF? Even with all these updates, can you sit here and tell me that H2V won't be made a fool of visually by games coming out at the same time like Bioshock, FEAR extraction point, Gothic 3, Unreal 3, UT 2007, ETQW, and Crysis that support all these features WITH their thousands of multi-thousand poly statics? I mean, the UT3 engine can support million-poly scenes with the next level of technology: virtual displacement maps. BIA3 looks amazing on the X360 with this technology, imagine it on the PC!

On a side note, you really have to turn down the bloom and FSAA factor because it's crossed the threshold to blur, rather than a visually satisfying effect. It looks distinctly bloom, so make a note to the devs that going HDR would be a far better course.
Well it was the same with HaloPC, I think. First of all, it's a port. And second of all, it's a 2-year-old game that you're comparing to newer and next-gen games. Taken those two things into consideration, I don't think the criticism is fair or justified.

Katarn
October 1st, 2006, 12:37 PM
Not the same with HaloPC, you see, times have changed. Halo PC was released before half-life 2 (and the next-gen so to speak). Being a port doesn't matter, they are marketing it as a standalone game and since it's a vista-exclusive, many people will be paying $250 for the game. And since the engine and graphics have been "updated" which they haven't done with halopc, other than the higher resolutions, i think my questions are well-justified. Y'see this time it seems that bungie has a lot more support for this port as they're doing it themselves.

TheGhost
October 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Well, I'm paying $250 for the OS regardless, and the fact that Halo 2 PC is only for Vista is a pleasant coincidence. :p

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 1st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Well, I'm paying $250 for the OS regardless, and the fact that Halo 2 PC is only for Vista is a pleasant coincidence. :pExactly. ;)

rossmum
October 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM
Way to give me a headache, Katarn.

I agree somewhat though, especially on the bloom. Looks a bit overdone.

Cortexian
October 1st, 2006, 05:31 PM
So Nitro, I have a question directed mainly towards you and not H2V, hat is your position at bungie? What do you do? You mentioned that you know alot more "all-around" things then the other people at bungie... Wow, I have so many questions that I can't even get them right way up in my head so that I can write em! (if your allowed to talk about it) Are there any plans to release a Demo version of the game for Vista before the actual release? Are there plans for any sort of H2V demo?

Zeph
October 1st, 2006, 06:01 PM
How would you graphically that H2V compares to games of this generation on the PC, i.e. oblivion/FEAR/Prey/others. Since H2V is a very-boxed-in shooter compared to that of Oblivion, and Oblivion comes through with shining colors in a very large space while still managing to put out 5000 poly rocks with normal maps (no joke). You also say it would be quite a waste of having trees that are several thousand polies, even scarce as they are! Games like Oblivion, Gothic 3, and even oldies like Lineage 2 manage forests full of multi-thousand poly trees including normal maps? Are you saying that the BLAM engine is inferior even in its updated state?

Someone is being a tad crititcal. Yes, the title is being released in 2007, but the game itself was DESIGNED to run on a five/six year old console putting out 480i video. Pushing the engine isn't the job of Bungie's Vista team, it's the job of the mappers out there who can afford to scream damn the framerate when in Max.

Chewy Gumball
October 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM
I want to know if they have a general base number of polygons for bsps or just on screen. I want to know how detailed I can make my bsps without crazy fps loss.

Zeph
October 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM
I want to know if they have a general base number of polygons for bsps or just on screen. I want to know how detailed I can make my bsps without crazy fps loss.

It all depends on your hardware. Considering how H2 has levels as big as coldsnap without cutoff, I dont think you'll need to worry.

Chewy Gumball
October 1st, 2006, 06:41 PM
I know it depends on hardware, but they had a general one with the hek, and I would like to know the one for H2V.

Zeph
October 1st, 2006, 07:35 PM
Well, considering that that virtually no one hit the HEK's limits and it was running on older hardware, I'd have to say you dont even have to worry about it at all. If you hit a limit with H2EK, then you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing anyways, like cramming all of the single player geometry into one sbsp, which probably can be done now.

rossmum
October 2nd, 2006, 01:03 AM
It all depends on your hardware. Considering how H2 has levels as big as coldsnap without cutoff, I dont think you'll need to worry.
It can? Oh, wait- yeah, it can. Awesome.

If only there was a higher player limit, like 32 or 64... impossible I know, but you could have some awesome battles across huge maps, and it would actually work.

NitrousOxide
October 2nd, 2006, 01:48 AM
Not to worry about limits. From what I've been told by Chris Carney, as long as your level is not outrageously high poly, we should be ok. As far as Halo 2 is concerned, the portals were really only in the maps for split-screen play. Being that Halo 2 Vista will only be one player per screen, portals aren't even a big concern, therefore, one can assume the Halo 2 'limits' are way higher than that of Halo CE. Halo CE had a suggested 10K poly limit, depending on the structure of the level and the portalling.

So far, I haven't made any extremely high poly levels, but I was playing with one that was 13K+ polys, with no portalling, and it seemed to run damn smooth for me. Then again, given, I have beast of a machine at work, but I was also running at 1900x1220 resolution and was getting a straight 60 FPS (right now, it's limited at 60), so I don't know.

I'd take it as good news, being that we haven't even performance-optimized the game yet. So, we can only get better from here.

It's promising, fellas.

P.S.- Am I the only one who think this thread has too many pages?? =P

rossmum
October 2nd, 2006, 01:55 AM
Sweet, it might even break 2fps on my PC... Oh wait, my PC can't run Vista. Oh damn. ^_^ Upgrade time, methinks.

Psst, show us your level if you can. ;)

InnerGoat
October 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
So far, I haven't made any extremely high poly levels, but I was playing with one that was 13K+ polys, with no portalling, and it seemed to run damn smooth for me. Then again, given, I have beast of a machine at work, but I was also running at 1900x1220 resolution and was getting a straight 60 FPS (right now, it's limited at 60), so I don't know.

P.S.- Am I the only one who think this thread has too many pages?? =PI still would like to know the specs of the rig you were running it on... mainly the video card thats all.
I tend to play at 2304x1440 and am hoping H2V doesn't need 800 dollars of graphics hardware to get me there. :o

Also, the thread is only 3 pages long, :XD:

TheGhost
October 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Well I already have a 1920x1200 monitor so I'm hoping I can play at that resolution without too much of a problem. I may update my graphics card... gahh - technology evolves too quickly.

And this thread is 4 pages for me. =)
(Edit Options > Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page)

Stealth
October 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM
I see about 11 pages, I some times have it so I can see the Max amount of Post per page so I don't have that larg # of pages to go through, oh and can we have more Custom Emblems, and maybe add Black as one of the Colors in Halo 2 Vista, I think with the GFX upgrades that would make it look really cool, just a idea to think about.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 2nd, 2006, 05:35 PM
I see about 11 pages, I some times have it so I can see the Max amount of Post per page so I don't have that larg # of pages to go through, oh and can we have more Custom Emblems, and maybe add Black as one of the Colors in Halo 2 Vista, I think with the GFX upgrades that would make it look really cool, just a idea to think about.Techinically, the steel color is black for halo2. :/

TheGhost
October 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
I seem to remember them saying they took out black because it had such an advantage over all the other colors concerning stealth.

Agamemnon
October 2nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
I figured as much as to why black was never actually black.

jcap
October 2nd, 2006, 06:55 PM
Nitro, what do you have to say about this? http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2022621,00.asp

Any truth to the matter? Is it really that close to going gold?

Also, where is the final HUD's position going to be? In some pics it is thrown into the corners, and in some others it is set 1/8 in. I might be the only one, but I think it just looks too...weird having it too close to the edge, even though it may give you the slightest bit more viewspace.

What is being done with the HUD text? It looks awful in those pics, being so close to the ammo counter. How is the text chat going to be done, too?

Are we going to be able to add -devmode to the shortcut and be able to enter the developer mode, like with Halo CE?

I have a thousand more questions, most of which I compiled in a thread on Bungie.net for the Halo 2 Vistravaganza week. Some of them have already been answered, some were already asked. I don't want to bother sorting everything out now. Answer what you can, please! :)

Q: Will we be able to add the "-console -devmode" parameters to the Halo 2 shortcut and be able to enter the game in developer mode, like with Halo CE? This is one of the best features you can use in Halo CE, and it would be terrible to see it be lost in Halo 2, especially if there isn't going to be a second custom edition where it could be enabled.

Q: How is the netcode based? Server side or client side? If it is server (please be), can we really have all of the devmode functions available with a simple parameter, especially since it is impossible to cheat in Halo's server side netcode? =)

Q: How is the HUD? Is it going to look awful on a higher resolution, rather than the 640x480 Xbox resolution? Is it be blurry/jaggy at all?

Q: Are any of the shaders modified from Halo 2 to the point where they look as bad as they did when you compare Halo Xbox to Halo PC (HUD meters, Jackal shields, weapon/flagpole shaders, main menu Halo, etc.)?

Q: Will there be a "beep" when you shoot and hit another player while playing multiplayer? This was one of the biggest, most helpful features in Halo CE, so you could tell that you were actually shooting someone due to the various latency on different servers.

Q: When you plug in an Xbox 360 controller, are you going to get the HUD messages like they are displayed on the Xbox (Press (X) to pickup [weapon])?

Q: Have the main menu images been reworked to be sharper on a higer resolution than the Xbox? If there are any new created menus, do they flow seamlessly with the originals, or do they look like they were created in Paint? *cough* Halo PC multiplayer/settings menus *cough*

Q: A "Checking for Updates" screen is probably going to be implemented into the game, so is it going to take an hour for it to check for updates, then finally tell you that there actually isn't an update and proceed on? Is it going to be under a settings menu, like with one of the new Halo CE UI's (my team's), or is it going to be right as you click on "Internet" under the multiplayer screen?

Q: Does the active camouflage work on BOTH ATI and nVidia graphics cards, or only ATI, like in Halo PC?

Q: Are the credits going to be ugly, horribly colored, text only credits like in Halo PC, or are they going to be the same, low quality, 337 MB, credits_60.bik file as Halo 2 Xbox has, or is it going to be completely different from those two? A higher quality movie, or the actual renderring of the credits?

Q: Will you be prompted to sign in with a profile EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' TIME you play the game? (Please be no)

Q: Will you have to "Press (ENTER) to Continue", like with Halo 2 Xbox? (Please be yes)

Q: If you are inactive for a minute or so, will the 117 MB, low quality attract_60.bik file play with its screwed up, misplaced sounds in the video? If it is placed in, will it be higher quality? (Yes and yes, please =D)

Q: When dual wielding, is left mouse button primary fire (right gun), and right mouse button secondary fire (left gun) (please be this), or does the left mouse button fire the left gun, and right mouse button fire the right gun? Can we change it in the settings if we don't like the feel of them?

Q: Is there (going to be) Internet/LAN co-op? This is one of the things everyone would look EXTREMELY forward to, and would be a HUGE plus for the game. =)

Q: What are the benchmarks of Halo 2 so far with your test computers? How do they compare to other computers? How much of the CPU cycles does it consume, how much RAM does it take up at any random time, and how are your frames per second?

Q: How featured and advanced is the new "map editor"? Is it more advanced than the HEK (PLEASE be =D), or is it so under-advanced, that you can create a map with terrain, spraypaint the textures on, add trees, place some pre-modeled bases, and export within five minutes?

Q: Is there ANYTHING which is being removed from (or even added to) Halo 2 which you think will like, but will end up hating in the end? Anything which you think is "smart", but is one of the dumbest, most idiotic things to do, ever? Not things like removing the Matchmaking system, but other things like the shaders. Much of these things I hinted at with the questions above, given the unfortunate experience we had with the Halo PC conversion.

TheGhost
October 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
These are some very good questions, jcap. I would also like to reiterate... will we have developer mode commands? I just now realized how much I had taken these for granted all of this time.

~A.
October 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM
Honestly, I really don't like this being a Vista exclusive. =/ I just had to pay money for my laptop xp.

TheGhost
October 2nd, 2006, 07:43 PM
Well, for one, it's a great way to jump start some new users on Windows Vista. Take for example myself and many others on this board who will be getting Vista "early" (read: initial release) in order to play this game ASAP.

Boo Diddly
October 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
nice questions jcap. also, are we going to be able to use more of the devmode commands while testing a map? *like I can't use "rasterizer_stats 2" in game to see what my poly count is.*

Zeph
October 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Lol, jcap, is that the series of questions you came up with when Halo 2 Vista was announced and I made that thread talking about how to make a successful port?

Stealth
October 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I seem to remember them saying they took out black because it had such an advantage over all the other colors concerning stealth.
Oh so that is why, I've all ways loved Black, oh well, any ways, a Dev mode is a Good thing for Map makers, I hope that we get Dev mode for Halo 2 Vista.
Edit | Ok ToDay I got really board in Computer ProGraming and this is what I did, I opened the Ivory Towers Screen shot,
http://files.h2vista.net/images/X06/IvoryTower.jpg
and did some work one, (Just click on, Auto levels, Auto Contrast, Auto Colors, and this is what I got,
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/7249/ivorytowerws2.jpg
as you can see, it looks a hole lot better now.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah, that looks alot better, less glary and less orange-ish color to it. Nice.

TheGhost
October 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
You could easily change that and even more with changing the textures through the modding kit. However, I hope people stay away from the original maps and try to create their own, completely new ones.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 6th, 2006, 07:50 PM
You could easily change that and even more with changing the textures through the modding kit. However, I hope people stay away from the original maps and try to create their own, completely new ones.I can see it now, Choasgulch on Coagulation...

Stealth
October 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM
hey thanks Guys for the feed back, I did that to all of them, and they all look great, I'm going to show Kp them next time I get a sec.

TheGhost
October 6th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Honestly that would probably only be a change in radiosity. Wouldn't be that hard to do when/if we get the scenario files.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 6th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I like the look though, it's much colder.

Reaper Man
October 7th, 2006, 12:42 AM
what'd you do? play with the contrast levels in photoshop? bleh. I like ivory tower's well-lit look, that dark one is meh tbh
(it's auto btw)

Stealth
October 7th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Um, all I did was hit Auto Level, Auto Contrast, and Auto Color, and that is what came out, and thanks for the Spelling fix.

Reaper Man
October 7th, 2006, 01:41 AM
D and T are pretty far apart. I'm impressed that you managed spell it like that.

Zeph
October 7th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I never took the time to look at the lighting in Ivory Tower because I've never cared for the map, much. I have to wonder what the hell is up with that glass ceiling. Unless there's a horizontal pane of glas on top of it, rain would get trapped there.

Agamemnon
October 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Well, Bungie's motto is, "Design first, think later."

rossmum
October 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I like the original lighting. It gives the feeling of warm sunlight streaming in through the window in the morning as the sun rises over the roof... the other one is too cold and clean.

Boo Diddly
October 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I agree with ross. The second one looks like a cold day. The reguar one looks like a nice warm day in the middle of summer. Also if you notice the walls are yellow in color, giving the room a yellow tint. If you had a black room, it would be much darker.

Syuusuke
October 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Actually I like the auto'd Ivory Tower because it's a nice wallpaper that blends to the cool color setting (i don't mean its like 1337 color, i actually mean cool, 9300K)

Stealth
October 10th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Hey Thanks, I like the Auto'd Ivory Tower too, it is good for Wall papers, and when I show Paper Screen shots of Halo 2 Vista after I tell them about it, I shot them that Screen shot first.