PDA

View Full Version : [COMP] October Comp

nick3d
October 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Well i havent got no sketch ideas because i cant draw.
and if anyone can give me any reference images then, i would really appreciate it. because i can think of anything. but i can explain what it will kind of look like, plus iv already got part of it done.

So hear we go. Its similar to a homing misile mech type thing, the actual warhead has a nucleor (however you spell it) liquid in the middle cylinder. It is operated by 2 computers. 1 on the barrel, and there will also be 1 somewhere else wired up or something. it can be towed by a car, because it will be on a trailer type thing, or it could be mounted onto something, but mine will be mounted on a trailer at the moment, the trailer will have to have balancer type things so it is stable. so probably legs which will come out of the sides of the trailer or something like that. aiming is simple, itll just be like a homing missile but computerised and it will have like a stand thing on the back of the barrel to be able to pivot the actual barrel, ill work that out when it comes to it, the missile is modeled as well as the barrel with the computer on it, the wires for the mounted computer will be done last once i find where to put them. and the reason why there is 1 on the barrel is so it can be programmed in 2 places. and just in case your in need of an emergencey stop.

here is a image of the missile, there is a chip inside the missile to keep it on target, but i dont know where that is. just imagine it is inside ok.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/fernn001/Untitled2.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/fernn001/Untitled.jpg

next is the barrel with a opening hatch
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/fernn001/Untitled3.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/fernn001/Untitled4.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/fernn001/Untitled5.jpg

thanks for looking, comment on what you think is good and what you think is bad.

Hunter
October 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM
What does the projectile do? Explode? What type of explosion?

Design seems a bit basic, and boring. Although its better than anything I could design XD

Make it look more interesting a different. Use something different than a tube to fire it...
Looks okay though.

nick3d
October 11th, 2008, 03:55 PM
thanks hunter, well its nucleor so it will be an explosion on impact, quite a large 1 that is. and yes the design is basic, give it time it wont be as basic when its done.

Hunter
October 11th, 2008, 04:07 PM
So hear we go. Its similar to a homing misile mech type thing, the actual warhead has a nucleor

*Smacks self in face*

nick3d
October 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Your a retarded nucleor monkey :P :L

ExAm
October 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM
NucleAr dammit!
Also, looks boring, and a nuclear explosion seems like overdoing it for taking down one plane :/

Anton
October 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Psh, but ExAm it's a flying bunker! :lol:

Zeph
October 11th, 2008, 11:22 PM
What competition is this for?

nick3d
October 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM
The October Comp for taking down aircraft

SnaFuhrer's Monthly Military Modeling Challenge

E:

NucleAr dammit!
Also, looks boring, and a nuclear explosion seems like overdoing it for taking down one plane :/

Thanks for telling me how to spell it lol, and no it isnt, it isnt a really huge nuclear bomb is it? i might actually change the design of the missile, so it pierces straight threw into the cabin and stuff, so the explosion is more controlled. its early years yet so got plenty of time for editing.

nick3d
October 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Update for missile
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/fernn001/Untitled6.jpg
Added some extra detail

FlyingStone
October 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Well to be positive I like that missile/mini-nuke-thing. As far as using a nuclear projectile to take down a aircraft, well lets be honest, isn't that a bit just a little tiny bit overkill? I mean if your just that damn determined to take down that plane then by all means go for it.

Just saying.

You should make this a hand held rocket launcher, with some kind of special awesome missile that goes in it. Because it looks like the launcher it's self is already something that can be hand held.

nick3d
October 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Well if you have got a bloody terrorist attacking then its best to completely obliterate it than nothing lol

Its actually too big to be hand held, and it isnt just going to stay flat(the barrel) its going to have a mech on the end possibly electrically operated for aiming the missile and for locking on, it will all be done via a computer, so its more of a computerised missile launcher.

rossmum
October 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Well to be positive I like that missile/mini-nuke-thing. As far as using a nuclear projectile to take down a aircraft, well lets be honest, isn't that a bit just a little tiny bit overkill? I mean if your just that damn determined to take down that plane then by all means go for it.

Just saying.

You should make this a hand held rocket launcher, with some kind of special awesome missile that goes in it. Because it looks like the launcher it's self is already something that can be hand held.
One, yes. A whole massed formation of strategic bombers?

http://www.harrysite.net/forums/images/smilies/oioi.gif (http://www.harrysite.net/forums/posting.php?mode=post&f=5#)

FlyingStone
October 12th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah thought about that when I was posting but why would they be grouped so close together? Though would be epic, BOOM MUTHA FUDA, 34 KILLS WHAT NOW HUH?

rossmum
October 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Nukes have a pretty huge blast radius, and the whole point of tight formations is to concentrate defensive firepower, damage to the target, and crew morale...

PenGuin1362
October 12th, 2008, 09:39 AM
thanks hunter, well its nucleor

Who gave Bush a computer >_>.

Ross when was the last time you saw a bomber squadron of more then two - three planes.

rossmum
October 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
The Cold War, but that's not to say it's totally impossible and will never ever happen again

I mean, this could even be for some kind of alternate Cold War/WWII universe really

Hunter
October 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Who gave Bush a computer >_>.

Ross when was the last time you saw a bomber squadron of more then two - three planes.

Lmao:lol:

SnaFuBAR
October 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM
would serve better as an EMP weapon than a nuke tbh.

nick3d
October 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM
EMP whats 1 of them?

nick3d
October 12th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Update on my challenge entry...
But needs explaining...
The reason why there is all that shit at the back is for pivoting up and down but thats that, there will that will be attached to a turn table, so you can rotate the barrel aswell as lifting it. This will be operated using hydraulics, which will be electronicly done.

E:
Ignore the thickness proportions, i havent sorted them out yet
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/fernn001/Untitled7.jpg

SnaFuBAR
October 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
i would suggest looking up traversing and elevating mechanisms.

nick3d
October 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Well i will tomorrow as for i have college in the morning but i will keep it in mind, thanks alot. Allthough i dont know what they are but either way thanks lol. Enough For Tonight. I dont think ill have time to work on it tomorrow as for i need finish of a piece of coursework for college, and i also have a footy match, so no updates for atleast a day, unless i finish my coursework earlyier than expected

rossmum
October 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Traversing is what makes it rotate, elevating/depressing raises/lowers it. Look up large artillery pieces and you should see plenty of examples.

nick3d
October 13th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Well iv rethought about the mechanism.
For lifting:-
I am going to use a chain mechanism like a motorbike chain and a gear. And there will be a motor on the "rotary table" which will still alow for the turning of the barrel.
Rotation:-
For rotating it, i am going to be using like a turn table. which will also be motor driven, using the same geared mech as the lifting mech.

Is it a good idea or a bad one?
If you would like to recommend anything to me then please do. i will take everything into account as well as i will most probably use it if its better than mine (which probably will be better no matter what lol.)

And also if you want to do a quick sketch showing me how your example would work then i would really appreciate it

Traversing is what makes it rotate, elevating/depressing raises/lowers it. Look up large artillery pieces and you should see plenty of examples.

Would you be able to get me some examples of that please. I would really appreciate it because i dont know what i am looking for, thanks alot.

nick3d
October 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Ahhhh EMP i get it now :D

Electric magnetic pulse (Y)

nick3d
October 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Small update havent had much time to work on it just lately.
Small update on missile, need opinions, thought of it piercing into the aircraft so added like a small drill piece on the end as well as small wing type things which will make the actual missile spin, which will help with the piercing of the missile,

Good Or Bad ????????
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/fernn001/Untitled8.jpg

Next alls iv done really is added bolts and shit on nothing special
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/fernn001/Untitled9.jpg

Anton
October 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Re-design that. Seriously, not trying to be rude or anything but that design has so many things wrong with it. I really don't see a drill bit end helping it any, maybe a pointed end but not that. Seems like that would slow it down upon hitting the target.

Good luck though.

Edit, also wouldn't it explode on impact not dig into the target? You said it could explode mid-air also creating a shock wave, etc?

nick3d
October 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Re-design that. Seriously, not trying to be rude or anything but that design has so many things wrong with it. I really don't see a drill bit end helping it any, maybe a pointed end but not that. Seems like that would slow it down upon hitting the target.

Good luck though.

Edit, also wouldn't it explode on impact not dig into the target? You said it could explode mid-air also creating a shock wave, etc?

True, ill take the drill bit off, it was a little test, after i finished it i thought i looked like shit myself

And i never said that, i only agreed lol

nick3d
October 19th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I am going to withdraw my entry,
the competition is to high standard for me :(

MetKiller Joe
October 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I am going to withdraw my entry,
the competition is to high standard for me :(

Oh don't do that, dude! :eek: This has a lot of potential.

You just need to figure out what is relevant in your model and give the relevant parts the most attention.

Now, as for me, I have no hope of entering xD.

nick3d
October 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Oh don't do that, dude! :eek: This has a lot of potential.

You just need to figure out what is relevant in your model and give the relevant parts the most attention.

Now, as for me, I have no hope of entering xD.

Not really, its shit compared to every one elses to be honest, and its to basic theres nothing special about it the only good thing which is on i think is the missile but even that is over-exagerating a bit with the nuclear shit.

MetKiller Joe
October 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Not really, its shit compared to every one elses to be honest, and its to basic theres nothing special about it the only good thing which is on i think is the missile but even that is over-exagerating a bit with the nuclear shit.

So, you're giving up because you don't want to re-design?

nick3d
October 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Noooo i dont know why to be honest im just not good enough as a modeler or a designer to be able to make it look good enough for the comp

Hunter
October 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Thats because you need 3ds max :D Then plane modelling tutorial and you are away.

nick3d
October 19th, 2008, 01:52 PM
i can do plane modelin for fucks sake, thats pretty much what i do when i do guns, and how the hell u think i did that audi, i had to "plane model" it because the cant be box modeled!

Maya and 3DS max are pretty much the same in the modelling aspect but when it comes to the layout i find 3ds max's layout harder to get around than maya's

Hunter
October 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Was there need for the aggression? I simply said that you need 3ds max and plane modelling tutorial. I didnt tell you to get 3ds max and tell you can't plane model.

nick3d
October 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
oops sorry im in a bit of a shitty with everyone today sorry mate

nick3d
October 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Im not withdrawin but it might not be finished, i dont know yet. So i will carry on with it tomorrow or i might start again

E:
Sorry for double post did it without realising

Heathen
October 19th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I actually like this. Its simple but that leaves room for creativity. Make this epic. You have my interest my good sir.

nick3d
October 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
thanks for all the support everyone (Y)

nick3d
October 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately i am withdrawing my entry as for havent got time to carry it on,

and plus i have lost straight and there is no point in trying to convince me again lol,
Thread locked!