PDA

View Full Version : [Release] Night of the Covenant

Chainsy
October 13th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Well if some of you have visited the studio thread, you would know that I have been creating a halo comic based before halo one and branches out from the main story of halo and singles out one spartan in the war and his struggle to help make the history of halo the way it is today. So in spirit of the first episode to be released at the end of next month I am making two wallpapers promoting the comic. The first one, Night of the Covenant, is below for saving pleasure.
enjoy.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/nightofthecovenantcopy.png

FlyingStone
October 13th, 2008, 07:14 AM
uhh.. whats the big grey thing in the center of the picture? A elite?

Chainsy
October 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM
No, its a marine.

Advancebo
October 13th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I see hunter :P

Con
October 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
it's obviously a poorly proportioned elite. Colours look nice though...

Hunter
October 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I see hunter :P
?

Chainsy
October 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM
it's obviously a poorly proportioned elite. Colours look nice though...
No I am making the elites my own style, I want them to be meaner and and more intimidating, meaning flat blunt heads, and thick meaty arms. Also his knees are bent if you cant tell.I honestly hate bungies elites, I mean I like them, but I love the halowars ones, and I'm just sort of building off of those to create a new kind.

Evil_Monkey
October 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The Elite looks totally out of proportion, armour on fore arm and upper arm looks huge and blocky, head looks weird (too small maybe) and the energy sword looks like its been squashed.
The environment looks ok I guess.

Hunter
October 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
All the edges on your drawings a bit to smooth.. Looks okay though.

Chainsy
October 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM
The Elite looks totally out of proportion, armour on fore arm and upper arm looks huge and blocky, head looks weird (too small maybe) and the energy sword looks like its been squashed.
The environment looks ok I guess.
His arm is at an angle so the energy sword is more diagonal towards the screen, and as mentioned earlier I wanted him to have thick arms and a small head. My own style.

k4is3rxkh40s
October 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Well if some of you have visited the studio thread, you would know that I have been creating a halo comic based before halo one and branches out from the main story of halo and singles out one spartan in the war and his struggle to help make the history of halo the way it is today. So in spirit of the first episode to be released at the end of next month I am making two wallpapers promoting the comic. The first one, Night of the Covenant, is below for saving pleasure.
enjoy.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/nightofthecovenantcopy.png
It looks like you created a super deformed version of an elite, then half way through decided not to. IE; lol hueg forearms, legs, feet, sword, upper body, then tiny and thin upper arms, etc. The coloring is not that bad, but really not good either. Its too sloppy, and looks unfinished or more like a sketch. The mist and glow effects are not effective at all, just look like you randomly drey lines with varying opacity coming off of the elite and sword
Tl;dr
Very bad proportions and coloring, doesnt make it look tough, more like this actually. Also lacks an interesting background, makes it seem even more out of place
http://www.halobabies.net/artwork/fanart/img/babies/sieneko/chibielite2.jpg

Con
October 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM
..not to mention one of the thighs is beefy as hell and the other isn't. Poor exercise routines.

Chainsy
October 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Alright, alright, Ill redo the painting.

n00b1n8R
October 14th, 2008, 02:52 AM
His arm is at an angle so the energy sword is more diagonal towards the screen, and as mentioned earlier I wanted him to have thick arms and a small head. My own style.
At least move the head up to be level with the top of the torso. As it stands it looks like the head is mounted in it's chest, terminator style.

Zeph
October 14th, 2008, 06:47 AM
decent use of color. now work on line.

DaneO'Roo
October 14th, 2008, 07:11 AM
decent use of color. now work on line.

What on earth are you talking about. There's only blue and grey in that picture, and he didn't really even pull that off well at all.

Chains, I think you actually need to draw a line outline before your start painting stuff, because everything you paint comes out blurry, as if all you paint with is a soft brush. Also, saying that you need to work on proportion would be flogging a dead horse, but you do.

It's worrying because I've seen little improvement at all in your paintings since you first started showing them.

Zeph
October 14th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Also lacks an interesting background, makes it seem even more out of place

Actually, good art principles say leave the background the way it is. You are wrong. And the image you linked has a piss poor background that only serves to degrade the quality of the image. Read up on visual weight.

What on earth are you talking about. There's only blue and grey in that picture, and he didn't really even pull that off well at all.

Chains, I think you actually need to draw a line outline before your start painting stuff, because everything you paint comes out blurry, as if all you paint with is a soft brush. Also, saying that you need to work on proportion would be flogging a dead horse, but you do.

It's worrying because I've seen little improvement at all in your paintings since you first started showing them.
For something that's basically monochrome, it roughly follows good theory. I said it was decent, not great.
There are many school of thoughts on how to get something done. Using a soft brush to flesh out forms is one of them. However, it is typically cleaned up with use of line afterwards.

The coloring is not that bad, but really not good either. Its too sloppy, and looks unfinished or more like a sketch. The mist and glow effects are not effective at all, just look like you randomly drey lines with varying opacity coming off of the elite and sword
It might have been an accident (IE this guy doesn't consciously understand design) but the "mist and glow effects" are pretty much the key part that's making this not be a piece of shit. The loss of definition creates points of interest that form the foundation for the design. The "glow" provides balance that gives the piece dynamics.

I'm not going to praise his work. There's a lot going for it. There's also a lot of fail. It seems though that people here only see eye candy or fail. Most of art is learning the tools. It's why I never bitch at people for releasing and being proud of their first box level. There's a lot of shit that goes into getting that working properly and that alone is a feat in itself anyone should be proud of.

Jeez, I need to get MR online and set people straight.

supersniper
October 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
If you want a buff intimidating elite just use the halo wars elites...

Needles
October 14th, 2008, 05:57 PM
That looks pretty nice. The elite is a little weird, but it's still looks ok.

I'd fix the arms and thighs.

Sel
October 14th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Am I the only one who thinks his elite looks more like a rabbit with a sword?

Heathen
October 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Elite looks like he has an angry faic.
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/17379000/ngbbs48c03bb8b940b.gif

n00b1n8R
October 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
:words:
ITT: art = science!

Zeph
October 16th, 2008, 12:51 AM
ITT: art = thoery!

ftfy

art is art
whether people consider it good depends on how much of a hypocrite they want to be.

FluffyDuckyâ„¢
October 16th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Elite looks like he has an angry faic.
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/17379000/ngbbs48c03bb8b940b.gif

LOL mono brow. It's also more of a depressed angry tbh. :)

Kalub
October 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Here, take this and use it to help your proportions. Your on the right track.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/737/737695/halo-wars-20061006114945651.jpg

Apoc4lypse
October 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
ftfy

art is art
whether people consider it good depends on how much of a hypocrite they want to be.

I guess...

but anyway you look at it, his hands look, well not like hands. (and thats being nice)

I normally don't criticize artwork unless I feel like it looks like it could have been done better.

The colors are actually really good, but the overall design is sloppy. Well the colors are better than anything I can do probably, I just feel like the design is lacking. Not just in accuracy, because he said he wants to do it his own way, but in practicality. The hand on the left looks bad, unless he wants to call it an abstraction of a hand...

Art Criticism is pretty dumb though, because one can always argue against it by means of abstract and impressionistic styles. Its like a paradox, ones own opinion vs another.

LinkandKvel
October 18th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm not going to praise his work. There's a lot going for it. There's also a lot of fail. It seems though that people here only see eye candy or fail. Most of art is learning the tools. It's why I never bitch at people for releasing and being proud of their first box level. There's a lot of shit that goes into getting that working properly and that alone is a feat in itself anyone should be proud of.This. You can't go from 0 to great. I see effort and potential in this. If he's a beginner this is perfectly acceptable considering me not knowing how long you've been painting. Other than proportions I think it's awesome. Especially the background gives it a settle space look.

Chainsy
October 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Ive been painting like this for about a month and a half, been in photoshop altogether for about 3-4 months.

Hotrod
October 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Even though the Halo Wars don't have the most correct proportions, they can still be helpful.

Listen to what he says, use other Elites for proportion help.

Chainsy
October 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/rangersketch.png

Higuy
October 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
It's kinda blockish/wierd on the back. Besides that I like it.

Dwood
October 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
What i like about this chains is that it's your own style

Chainsy
October 26th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Well I am back, and have been working on redoing the night of the covenant as I promised, and have decided to show that I have the cliffs done. All I have to do is paint in the lake and sky and elite and it will be ready.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/nightofthecovenantrevamped.png

Chainsy
October 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/nightofthecovenantredone.png

Heathen
October 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/737/737695/halo-wars-20061006114945651.jpg

Hate the Ensemble Studios Elites. Too buff. Idk.

E: Hate is teh wrong word.

Dislike.