PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Ban/Detention Petition

LinkandKvel
November 9th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I have a proposal for somewhat creating a "petition" thread when certain members begin getting out of line in the community with certain posts/thread/etc. Where other members can come in and agree or disagree with the fate of this member's standing in the community. Whereas if I were up for the banning/detention and a majority agree you would look further into it and possibly place him/her in a banning or detention until further notice. So the community who's here can single out those who aren't hurting more than helping the community. Thoughts???

Sever
November 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM
First on the list: LinkandKvel.

StankBacon
November 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM
itt:

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

also, yes, ban link.

Sel
November 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM
voteban linkandkvel

LinkandKvel
November 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM
:eek: I knew you'd guys would say that....

thehoodedsmack
November 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Still mad at Selentic, huh? I thought he was just being sarcastic. People here need to chill. It's the internet, for Christ's sake. There's too much tension! It's tearing us apart!

Sel
November 9th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Thing is, I was being sarcastic >_>

LinkandKvel
November 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Still mad at Selentic, huh? I thought he was just being sarcastic. People here need to chill. It's the internet, for Christ's sake. There's too much tension! It's tearing us apart!
I didn't single him out. I know there's others besides him. Also for the noobs who sometimes come here that think they're *hot shit*

Thing is, I was being sarcastic >_>Your sarcasm sucks. Many aren't sensing it. l2sarcasm..w/o..offense plz.

EDIT: I can locks it b4 u all votes me out....

legionaire45
November 9th, 2008, 09:48 PM
The problem with this proposed change is that it can be easily abused. Suppose that someone with a lot of power here, whether through rep, friends, sexual prowess, whatever, is jealous of another upstanding member of the community. All that this person has to do to put this person down is get his friends to spam the forum with "ban blahblahblah", whether the ban would be just or not.

Mods are given their powers for a reason. If everyone out on the street had the same abilities as police officers would everything be alright? Hell no, people would murder each other all the time under some misguided sense of justice. There are people of authority (mods/admins) here who can deal with situations like those you are describing. This has worked fine in the past and I don't see any problems with that system.

I'm guessing that this was brought up because of Selentic's racist comments, right? I do agree that what he said is totally inappropriate for the site and that he should get punished for it. Changing the whole way the banning system on this site works just for him doesn't seem to be a very good way of dealing with the problem. PM a mod or admin with your concerns and they will deal with the problem accordingly. That has pretty much always worked as far as I know.

LinkandKvel
November 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
^I thought it would make the mods life easier by singling out those and about the just part, hence why I said "review/look further into" those who were accused.

Sel
November 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Your sarcasm sucks. Many aren't sensing it. l2sarcasm..w/o..offense plz.

What because only level headed people who do not immediately make a big deal of out of everything can detect it?

LinkandKvel
November 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM
And you know all those post was not sarcasm. Some were you TRYING to be funny but no-one else was laughing at the inappropriate jokes. No one wants to hear the same thing over and over and over hence why you get so much retaliation from us because you bother people with these unfunny jokes or sarcastic comments as you claim.

Heathen
November 9th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Bad idea.

TeeKup
November 9th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I swear to god you 2 are a constant migraine. Both of you need to get a life and go outside for christ sake.

Link you claim to be what? 16-17? Yet you BITCH like a 10 year old.

Selentic you need to watch yourself to make sure you don't accidentally cross a certain line. If you are being sarcastic accompany the post with a emote so people can tell easier.

Goddamn I need a soda.

LlamaMaster
November 9th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Ban LlamaMaster. I hate that motherfucker.

Sel
November 9th, 2008, 10:04 PM
And you know all those post was not sarcasm.

I know better than all of you that that post was sarcasm, mainly because I posted it with sarcastic intentions, and you are not going to tell me what my intentions are.

Some were you TRYING to be funny but no-one else was laughing at the inappropriate jokes.

Holy fuck fix your grammar please, and for the record there are people who enjoy a not always entirely serious viewpoint on these forums.

No one wants to hear the same thing over and over and over hence why you get so much retaliation from us because you bother people with these unfunny jokes or sarcastic comments as you claim.

I don't believe you speak for the entire forum sir, and by us you must mean 5 people; funny choice of words.

LinkandKvel
November 9th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Well I don't report post anymore because when I did do it nothing was done or mentioned so you guys keep doing whatever. Go on about your businesses.

legionaire45
November 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Again, the mods are given the responsibility to choose who belongs and who doesn't for a reason. The only thing I can see coming from one of those threads is drama, bitching, moaning and problems. Mods would spend more time moderating that forum alone than they would moderating other forums on the site that actually need moderation. As soon as you make banning proceedings public in any form people are going to have a problem with it and the mods are going to have to deal with that. Remember the shitstorm that ensued after people became aware of the ban-this-person thread in the old conspiracy/whatever forums a while back? Imagine that, except with everyone on this site being in charge instead of just a few "elite" members.

Again, this only favors established members and not those who are trying to get up in the ranks. People will always have problems with each other and it should not be up to us to decide who belongs and who doesn't. That should be for the mods to decide.

BTW EDIT: I reported my own posts and that certainly seemed to work. I have complete faith in the system. Perhaps the mods have simply decided not to act on whatever issue it was because they didn't think it was serious enough. If you are talking about the Selentic thing again, note that the thread wasn't very old. The mods do have lives after all - perhaps they were either not there long enough to decide how to react.

Timo
November 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM
HAY GUYS LETS JUST OPEN ANOTHER THREAD COZ THE OTHER ONE IS LOCKED :awesome:

There's going to be people in communities that you're not going to like. If they're trolling you, report them and let the mods take care of them. So link, don't try and be a man and get all up in their grill about it, just pass the shit up the chain.

^I thought it would make the mods life easier by singling out those and about the just part, hence why I said "review/look further into" those who were accused.

You can help the mods out by reporting posts, not trying to be a cool dood and flame trolls back. Contrary to popular belief, all reported posts get read.

Also selentic add a smiley or something to a sarcastic post. I can't see your face as I read it so no one can tell if you're being sarcastic. You should know this by now %-)

Zeph
November 9th, 2008, 10:30 PM
HAY GUYS LETS JUST OPEN ANOTHER THREAD COZ THE OTHER ONE IS LOCKED :awesome:

There's going to be people in communities that you're not going to like. If they're trolling you, warn them and let the mods take care of them. So link, don't try and be a man and get all up in their grill about it, just pass the shit up the chain.

You can help the mods out by warning posts, not trying to be a cool dood and flame trolls back. Contrary to popular belief, all warned posts get read.

Also selentic add a smiley or something to a sarcastic post. I can see your face as I read it so I no one can tell if you're being sarcastic. You should know this by now %-)

*ahem*
User with no knowledge of forums outside of moderator privileges means to say report, not warn.

Kornman00
November 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
postin' in a locked thread, whats up _o/