PDA

View Full Version : [Gallery] bobbysoon's thread

bobbysoon
November 2nd, 2008, 02:07 AM
We should keep the size (for now) and apply those cliff techniques to the current layout. My suggestion would be to make them smoother. How does this look?
http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/b/bobbysoon/86476/vjyhjpmspf.jpg

that's based on
http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/b/bobbysoon/86476/fithdyunsp.jpg
and some erosion in Bryce

DaneO'Roo
November 2nd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Even if you garnish a loaf of spongey turd with alfredo and oregano, it's still a piece of shit.

Enders original was fucking terrible, a remake is a pure waste of time.

A new map is something else. Don't copy crap.

edit*

ARGGHHHJ NASTY DISPLACEMENTSAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Don't fucking do that shit. Model it properly.

bobbysoon
November 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
what's so nasty about it?

Hunter
November 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Got to admit it looks decent for a displacement map.

bobbysoon
November 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Maybe it's the crinkly edges
http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/b/bobbysoon/86476/wcpqvppcit.jpg

onion pistol
November 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Hm...I'm not sure if it looks that vehicle friendly.

It needs less slopes, and more...how can I word this...

Well, I think that it should have more than one narrow canyon area. Leading from ship to ship. Maybe some tunnels that stretch in midair across the chasm, would be a nice effect.

You see, we need to turn the open, flat plain into a canyon array that can support small vehicles and give them cover from aerial fire. Not a maze, though.

Around the bases it should be mainly flat areas, giving large land vehicles like the scarab some moving space.

We will afterward discuss size of the map. We need to make it small but keep it huge... :P

bobbysoon
November 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I stretched, twisted, bent, booleaned, and symmetricated various high poly primatives, trying to get something that resembles alien technology, and I liked this one the best
n4hL4lfCr08
Does it look potentially covenant to you? Any suggestions for making it more covenantish?

Inferno
November 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM
It just looks like a mess of random points and edges. No no no no no no.

-edit-
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO.

bobbysoon
November 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I don't see the random part. Could you elaborate?

Sel
November 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
HAhahahahahh Besides the fact that its a horrible model, it actually does look kinda cool :awesome:

teh lag
November 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I stretched, twisted, bent, booleaned, and symmetricated various high poly primatives, trying to get something that resembles alien technology, and I liked this one the best
n4hL4lfCr08
Does it look potentially covenant to you? Any suggestions for making it more covenantish?

Wait, so how do you plan on getting something like that ingame? Given your description, it sounds like the polycount well into, if not over, the 100ks.

And, for that matter, what about making a viable collision model? Or a skin?

I won't even begin to discuss how NOT-covenant that looks. It's "ok" in an abstract art sense, but nothing I'd want to see in a map.

Heathen
November 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Sorta make it more shiplike. Give it shipness. Give it a ship-esque quality. Make it a ship.

Do it.

And lag, I dont think he said anything about getting it in game...but I didn't read alot so I could be wrong. I know furshur that he didn't say he wanted covenant...just alien.

E: nvm...under the vid.

Inferno
November 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Or a skin?
The idea of skinning that hurts my soul. *shivers in fear*

onion pistol
November 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM
It isn't bad. Just doesn't seem covie or shilike enough. Good start.

Inferno
November 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
shilike
???

-edit-
Oh, you meant ship like.

Heathen
November 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
snap. I was like wtf too.

Apoc4lypse
November 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
negative numbers :v:
true... should have said you cant divide by zero, but then it loses its faness (I cant spell that word and im not using firefox atm and im to lazy to google it so go away if ur gonna complain about that please)

I think it could be possible to make extinction work for CE but tbh I would begin from scratch, study the halo 3 version, and try to make that but a bit smaller, it can probably still remain the same size and work as a map tho actually... but it would need different weapons (like the battle rifle cuz i feel like that gun rules that map, long range fighting)

SnaFuBAR
November 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM
n4hL4lfCr08
what the fuck, that's horrific. don't post shit like that.

bobbysoon
November 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Wait, so how do you plan on getting something like that ingame? Given your description, it sounds like the polycount well into, if not over, the 100ks.
what about a skin?
I can STL pass it. it's a little over 75k faces. Skinning it, well, I've found some good tuts. I just need to do it.

I won't even begin to discuss how NOT-covenant that looks. H4Z4RD advised me to make it less sharp and pointy, and now it looks like this
http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/b/bobbysoon/86476/cnshxuaygt.jpg
I'm thinking it could be a medium sized covenant ship, with the claw-like wing ends bracketing cannons
Rather than scrapping it and making something else that doesn't look covenant, I'd like to make this covenant. So, does it look better? Does it look more covenantish?

SnaFuBAR
November 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM
it looks like abc gum. you need to learn how to actually model surfaces and control mesh than let a bunch of BS do something for you. it looks nothing like anything covenant. abandon it and actually try, please.

Sel
November 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Looks alarmingly like melted plastic.

Apoc4lypse
November 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
its funny but i was looking at the first thing optomistically... then you did this, didn't know you could make it look worse...

my advice is to learn how to model properly, learn plane modeling, try to make simple stuff first, then work your way up.

Although that thing does give me ideas for a covinent cruiser with large opened sort of exterior hangers on the side of it.

bobbysoon
November 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
it looks like abc gum. you need to learn how to actually model surfaces and control mesh than let a bunch of BS do something for you. it looks nothing like anything covenant. abandon it and actually try, please.

Looks alarmingly like melted plastic.

its funny but i was looking at the first thing optomistically... then you did this, didn't know you could make it look worse...

my advice is to learn how to model properly, learn plane modeling, try to make simple stuff first, then work your way up.
Thanks for the half assed crit, guys. I really needed that. I'll get right on that proper modelling stuff :/

Sel
November 10th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Well what did you expect shitting out a horrible result of randomization in front of us :|

SnaFuBAR
November 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the half assed crit, guys. I really needed that. I'll get right on that proper modelling stuff :/
Half assed crit?? You half assed that model, what do you expect? You didn't even do any PROPER modeling, you just randomized the shit out of some mesh and expected some praise for it or something? Yeah, get on that proper modeling. If you don't have any idea how to use the tools in max I suggest you look up "beretta 9000 tutorial".

Heathen
November 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Fuck snaf. Idk what it is. Maybe the new avi, but I am enjoying you today.

mech
November 10th, 2008, 07:57 PM
http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/b/bobbysoon/86476/cnshxuaygt.jpg

Congratulations, you've successfully made play dough.

bobbysoon
November 10th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I suggest you look up "beretta 9000 tutorial".
Isn't that an ortho tut? An ortho tut wouldn't help in this case. I need a "how to properly model covenant stuff" tutorial

mech
November 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM
It's all the same, if you can't grasp the basic concepts of mesh flow it's your own fault.

SnaFuBAR
November 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM
no dude, you need to learn how to use the tools first. You're sure as hell not going to jump into covie designs without knowing what you're doing. learn the tools. There is no "how to model covie" stuff tutorial. Even if there was, you'd STILL need to learn the tools. Get that through your head.

Heathen
November 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
It's all the same, if you can't grasp the basic concepts of mesh flow it's your own fault.

I cant...

But I dont try and make purple snot.

bobbysoon
November 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I ask for suggestions as to how a covenant ship should look, and I get a weapon tut? :confused2:
I shouldn't have asked how it looks. I should know by now, asking that question here always has demoralizing results. Like dropping a piece of meat in a pihranna tank, motivation gets devoured by the half assed crits of arrogant trollers.

jngrow
November 10th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Ok first of all, 75k polys will not make it in-game as anything but a portalled up bsp, it doesn't look like anything at all, you DON'T KNOW HOW TO MODEL. Yes, it's a weapon tutorial, but it will give you an extremely strong base to start modeling off of, and teaches how to use the program properly. There are no "how to properly model covenant" stuff, because there are no exact rules for covenant architecture - you just need to be creative, and ask people if it looks covenant. If they say "yes", then it's fine. These aren't half-assed crits- there's nothing else to tell you. And I don't think you understand what trolling is.

SnaFuBAR
November 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I ask for suggestions as to how a covenant ship should look, and I get a weapon tut? :confused2:
I shouldn't have asked how it looks. I should know by now, asking that question here always has demoralizing results. Like dropping a piece of meat in a pihranna tank, motivation gets devoured by the half assed crits of arrogant trollers.
You sound like one heck of an arrogant little punk. Your model is nothing worth crit beyond what was given. Stop crying about half-ass crits when you haven't made anything worth criticism in the norm. Get the fuck over yourself.

Either you'll stop your crying and actually try to learn, or you'll continue with your pisshead attitude and get nowhere. If your only motivation is praise for your lackluster work then you need to rethink what you're doing. Continue like this and you sure as hell aren't going to be worth a second look or crit.

rossmum
November 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
If you can't take the harsh fucking truth, piss off back to whence you came and do so now. We don't sugar-coat things just for the benefits of oversensitive twats who would rather hear outright lies than the fact they need to actually pull their finger out and put some sodding effort in.

e/ Oh wow, that's fucking horrible. If you know what's good for you, you'll start over and delete that. Any monkey can click on modifiers and then throw some purple material over the end result, and it's always the same: absolute shit. Short of a demonstration of exactly what not to do when trying to model, I don't see any possible use for that thing or any variation thereof. Look up that Beretta tutorial - since, you know, it actually teaches you how to model things in a sensible fashion - and then use the knowledge gained to model a Covenant ship (before you even start, try actually looking at Covenant ships, so you have a clue as to what to aim for). If you seriously can't handle that, then get out. The rest of us shut up, knuckled down and got there, so don't come crying to us about 'trolling'.

FRain
November 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
n4hL4lfCr08

:smithicide:

Roostervier
November 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Quit being a whiny faggot and just watch the tutorial. If you weren't so ignorant you'd realize it's not just a weapon tutorial, but also a modeling tutorial. Clearly you don't know how to model, otherwise the general response you'd be receiving from everyone would be that it's not a very good start, but you can improve with a few design changes and by fixing a few errors.

Here's some crit for you. Just delete that piece of garbage you call a model and start again. Learn how to effectively use polygons and optimize meshes. In other words, learn how to model. I suggest you do so by watching the tutorial snaf suggested. It's what I used to learn how to model, and it's more than influenced every model I've created since I watched it. When you're finished watching, draw some references, or look up some covenant vehicles on google and gather ideas from them, and try to determine what defines the covenant design as "covenant." Then, start modeling. When you think you are getting to a point where you can show it to everyone, stop right there. Ask your self these questions: Is my model more than 25% completed? If not, keep working. If I were to objectively look at my model, would I say it's coming out alright? If not, start over or fix it. Don't just half-ass work and then ask people to help. That won't work. Try being your own toughest critic, and try to produce some actual quality work. Once you do that, post it, and if people give you crit you don't like, either ignore it (usually the bad choice) or listen to it (usually the good choice). The only time to ignore it is if they say "it's shit." Otherwise, take it to heart and try to learn from it, and try to improve your model. After you do all that, you should start actually producing decent work.

Heathen
November 10th, 2008, 09:58 PM
tl;dr?

Stfu and l2model

Back to the topic hmm?

rossmum
November 10th, 2008, 10:01 PM
:smithicide:
Your shitposts aren't helping. Fuck off and come back when you can make posts more useful than spamming facepalm pics or single emotes.

bobbysoon
November 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM
... and gather ideas ... what defines the covenant design as "covenant."
I'm trying to gather ideas, I was trying to ask that question, and it is as if they say "it's shit.".

rossmum
November 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Because it fucking well is!

You have a whole bloody trilogy full of Covenant designs. Bugger off and check them out yourself, don't expect us to do everything for you.

Roostervier
November 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
There's a difference between someone just calling it shit and someone calling it shit and giving you decent crit/suggestions (like watching a tutorial). Also, you seemed to have skipped the part where I said you come up with ideas. Don't expect everyone else to do your work for you.

Heathen
November 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I'm trying to gather ideas, I was trying to ask that question, and it is as if they say "it's shit.".

Its not like that hurt your feelings. You didn't even make it.

You could be a great modeler. Just watch the tutorials and try.

Someone said once that you could be a natural and never know.

It was either one of the lags or dane idk...

Research, learn, and try again.

Con
November 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Bobby, I think you underestimate how much these people want to help. You think they don't, but you're just not seeing through their criticism on your work. I would rather be told straight up that my work is poor and be linked to some tutorials than to be lied to and never improve. Modeling tutorials will help you make exactly what you want, and doing a little research into covie styling wouldn't hurt either.

p0lar_bear
November 11th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I shouldn't have asked how it looks. I should know by now, asking that question here always has demoralizing results. Like dropping a piece of meat in a pihranna tank, motivation gets devoured by the half assed crits of arrogant trollers.And quality content in these forums gets devoured by the half assed effort of arrogant kids.

Snaf pointed you in the right direction. You don't make anything by just taking a primitive and randomly slapping on booleans and meshsmoothing and all of that BS. All that crap does is break your model.

And so I'm not viewed as just an arrogant troll, here.

Beretta 9000 modeling tutorial to show you how to use MAX in a proper way. (http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/beretta-9000-video-tutorial)

Level modeling overview for Halo PC. Contains breakdown of Covenant architecture. (http://www.modacity.net/docs/hektutorial/references/general/general_ld_info.html)

bobbysoon
November 11th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I'll look into the tutorial and polish up my skills for use when I begin modelling the in-game version. In the meantime, I'll search for ideas elsewhere, keeping in mind the guideline you linked there ^^, thank you.

DaneO'Roo
November 11th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Holy shit Tweeks gunna love this thread.

Jean-Luc
November 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I'll look into the tutorial and polish up my skills for use when I begin modelling the in-game version. In the meantime, I'll search for ideas elsewhere, keeping in mind the guideline you linked there ^^, thank you.

Sorry pal, but that is wrong wrong wrong. What he linked is not something for you to "polish up your skills," it is one of the definitive tutorials on learning to model properly in 3dsmax. I suggest you use it.

Now, I know that everyone has said this, but it is indeed true. What you have shown is something that could be done by anyone without a basic insight to 3dsmax. Proper modelling will never ever look like that, even if you're creating a burned out hulk of something. In addition to the beretta tutorial, I suggest you look at wireframes of completed models from game development companies, or even your peers. I think you know what you want to make, but what you have cannot qualify as a ship. I'm sorry.

Another thing you should do is create concept sketches of what you want to make, from every angle you can. These are crucial for the development of the model, as they give you a static design to work off of, rather than just putting it together as you go. These sketches don't need to be anything more detailed than a basic outline either, just something to look at so you can refine your design easier.

Here's a basic image of a wireframe and a mesh to show you what a cohesive model means. (Yes, I made it way too high poly, I'm fully aware of that)

http://i37.tinypic.com/15ejyuo.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/9u95c6.jpg

Pooky
November 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Those look like something I could do in 3DS. When you hear that, you know you're off track.

bobby, I think something you need to realise is that this isn't just a forum full of random kids, there are a few professional game developers here, and many more longtime modders with the potential to be professionals. More specifically, a large segment of this board's population have been modding Halo Custom Edition for many years and have a good idea what the engine can and can't do. (not that any engine could likely make much of those)

tl;dr, listen to these guys they know what they're on about

Jean-Luc
November 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Actually, I'd like to add something here.
Bobbysoon, 4 1/2 years ago (13 years old, now 18), I was very much like you. I had just started 3dsmax, and I thought I was awesome. When people came to criticize my work, I lashed out at them and said rather dumb things to reject their help (much as you are doing). However, after a month or so of acting like this, I grew up, realized my faults, and began the road to improvement. I started looking through tutorials, began teaching myself more advanced techniques, and, incidentally, began to know what I was talking about. The lesson I've learned from this is, never ever reject someone else's aid for any reason. Everyone here is trying to help you realize your goal, but your trampling on it and thinking you know what your doing is getting everyone angry, and it will inevitably prevent you from getting anywhere.

To be blunt. Learn, start over, then show.

bobbysoon
November 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I didn't know polygon handles edge turning for you. Thats pretty nice.
I had trouble downloading intact .rars from that link, but I found a mirror, and im watching the 2nd one now. A quality tutorial. Thanks for the advice.

MMFSdjw
November 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Honestly, that doesn't look very bad if it were simply a VERY basic concept sketch.
My map Soli Deo Gloria started out in a similar way.
That model by itself is in no way useable but what I would probably do is take a screenshot or two of that and paintover it in photoshop or painter to create a worthwhile concept sketch and then build a useable model based on that sketch. And build it from scratch.

just my pair of pennies.

And, of course, listen to everyone else too. they're smart.

nick3d
November 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
n4hL4lfCr08

I'v really got to say this i've read the whole thread and no one has pointed it out. but even if this is a ship or whatever you call it, it isnt even aero dynamic in the slightist. I might be looking at it in the wrong angle.
And good job you are actually listening to people. I started like you infact i was worse, my old shitty gun from halo oh my god. Once you get good you'll look back at this thread and you'll think what a complete pile of shit

bobbysoon
November 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
even if this, a ship or whatever you call it, isnt aero dynamic in the slightist (I might be looking at it in the wrong angle [you could have pressed play ;/]),...
And good job, you are actually listening to people. I started like you. In fact. i was worse. My old shitty gun from halo, oh my god.
Once you get good, you'll look back at this thread and think, "what a complete pile of shit"It certainly isn't very covenant looking, now that I've seen more covenant ships than just the cruisers. No matter, I'm attempting to model Devrous's frigate (http://www.moddb.com/mods/fs2h/images/covenant-frigate-perspective#imagebox) instead. From a sphere, btw :P XD