PDA

View Full Version : SupCom-------Major Disaster.

soloblast
March 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM
In other words, I is desperately needing you help.

Computer Specs:
3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading
1.5 Gb RAM
Nvidia 6200 with Turbocache (128 Mb Video RAM)[No, it's not integrated]
250 Gb Maxtor Hard Drive
Gigabyte 945 Intel Motherboard
LG DVD Burner (before you ask, it can read/ burn Dual-layer, yes.)
Okay. So I bought Supreme Commander today. I put it in the DVD drive. It runs the autorun. I click install. It runs...runs...wait for it... then the magical error message appears: Something about the request for read/ write memory partially... okay, simple translation: The disk only partially copied its contents across to my RAM/ HDD. So setup can't run. Worse, I restart, take the disk out, etc., and I get even more (different) errors. App. failed to initialize, and another that I can't remember. Worst thing is, I don't hear my DVD drive making its characteristic loud whirring noise whenever it reads a disk. And yes, the Company Of Heroes DVD runs fine. What's going on? :confused:

Man, if I don't succeed in getting this crap to run, I don't care, I'm getting a refund. Somehow. Anyhow.

-Solo
P.S. Just ran the Halo CD, it sure works fine. If you have any ideas/ solutions, feel free to post.

P.P.S. If it wasn't already obvious enough, the game can't even install.

Hotrod
March 15th, 2007, 09:45 AM
That really sucks, Supreme Commander is an amazing game. First you should maybe upgrade your video card. As for the disk, try checking the disk, it might be scratched, that happened to me before. I bought a new game, but the cd was all scratched up so it didn't install well.

soloblast
March 15th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Right.... Okay. I tried it again, and now it can install, but eventually there's an error that says that there was a component transfer error for tutorials on the 2nd cabinet file. My Graphics card is fine. It's the stupid errors.

Hotrod
March 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Did you check the condition of the DVD? Try replacing it with another one. And to run the game well, you will need a new video card (check the requirements).

Limited
March 15th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Firstly, I'll tell you what the major disaster is.

WRONG FORUM :O

Secondly your problem sucks, I dunno what the laws are like in singapore, if you try to take the game back do they have to change it because its not working? If so I suggest thats what you do.

soloblast
March 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Firstly, I'll tell you what the major disaster is.

WRONG FORUM :O

Secondly your problem sucks, I dunno what the laws are like in singapore, if you try to take the game back do they have to change it because its not working? If so I suggest thats what you do.
Yeah, I realized it should have gone in Tech Talk like 5 seconds after I posted. Oops. I can get a refund, but I'm gonna try again and hope and pray. The DVD, well, there're no scratches, it looks ok. About the graphics card...hey, Company of Heroes runs well with everything set to minimum.

Hotrod
March 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I hope this turns out well. And with your video card, you can play it with minimal settings, but it's much better to have them as high as they can go(obviously). But the rest of you hardware it good (better than mine), so it will run nicely.

Cortexian
March 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I realized it should have gone in Tech Talk like 5 seconds after I posted. Oops. I can get a refund, but I'm gonna try again and hope and pray. The DVD, well, there're no scratches, it looks ok. About the graphics card...hey, Company of Heroes runs well with everything set to minimum.
If you can run Company of Heroes at lowest settings, you might be able to run Supreme Commander at below lowest settings with that RAM and Graphics card (wait thats not possible :XD:), hell my computer freezes up on SupCom sometimes, and it uses all avaliable system memory, so yea...

Hotrod
March 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Ya, SupCom takes up a lot of resources. Even if you have a computer barely good enough to play it, it's worth the lower graphics. He has more than enough RAM to play it well, or do you mean video RAM?

legionaire45
March 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Uninstall whatever it has currently installed, check your HDD to see if you have enough space on it for the game, and if that doesn't work try running CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) once and then give it a go.

mR_r0b0to
March 15th, 2007, 07:01 PM
download a disc image, install it from there?

Limited
March 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM
^ BIGGGG file lol...

image would be like a couple of gigs..

Hotrod
March 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM
The game itself is over 8 gigs when installed. Like Limited said, the DVD image would be huge, even if it is smaller than the game.

Patrickssj6
March 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM
The game itself is over 8 gigs when installed. Like Limited said, the DVD image would be huge, even if it is smaller than the game.
Max 4.5 GB ...

Cabinet files are the packed files.

One question is your comp really fucked up or do you take care of it?To me it sounds like you have a lot of malware on your comp.

Cortexian
March 16th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Ya, SupCom takes up a lot of resources. Even if you have a computer barely good enough to play it, it's worth the lower graphics. He has more than enough RAM to play it well, or do you mean video RAM?
1.5 gb isn't enough, I have 2 gb and it still use's it all.

Hotrod
March 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
They recommend 1 gig of RAM though. The only way that I can see that you would need 2 Gigs is if you were playing a 80x80 map with 8 players. If you have a Dual Core processor, you might need less RAM.

Cortexian
March 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Ummm, less ram? I'm getting 4 gb's your crazy...

Hotrod
March 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I'm saying that if you have a Dual-Core processor, it would use less of your RAM then if you had a single core processor.

legionaire45
March 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'm saying that if you have a Dual-Core processor, it would use less of your RAM then if you had a single core processor.

...? So are you saying that by having an extra core you can somehow store more information in your current memory?

Hotrod
March 18th, 2007, 10:04 PM
No. Well never mind. Let's just forget what I said and focus on helping him getting the game to work (if he hasn't already).