PDA

View Full Version : how much is too much?

Rob Oplawar
March 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'm known in my dorm as the Halo fanatic. I draw the line at action figures, but I've got just about everything else (my favorite being the signed mylar prints). That said, I've been talking to people about what's happening to Halo and I've decided I'd like to hear what everybody has to say about it.

I understand that companies will try to make as much money off of a product as they can, and this is a good thing. I'm starting to get really pissed off at Microsoft though, because they're really pushing the limit. I feel that they're alienating fans like myself by doing things like bumping the price on the legendary edition. I'm still going to pay $130 for it, but I'm not happy about it. It's great that they're delivering more and more content, but how much is too much? A good friend of mine used to love Halo as much as I did, but he's fed up with all this marketing, and is disgusted at the mere thought of Halo, just because it's overdone. And now with this fucking laser tag set I'm getting near the edge too, almost to the point where I'll be happy with Halo 1 and maybe look into Halo 3 in a few years when I can get it without being beaten over the face by Halo marketing.

I see it the way I see Star Wars: the original 3 are terrific movies, but I can't say I love Star Wars anymore, I have to say I love the original 3 movies, because they oversold it and killed it. I still believe Halo 1 is the best game I've ever played and by far my favorite, but if Microsoft continues this way, I won't be able to call myself a fan of "Halo," and all that that implies, anymore.

JDMFSeanP
March 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I fully agree with you, I woulda paid a hundred without a doubt, but this high is making it seem not worth it.

Corgy
March 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I'm a Halo fanatic by playing the game

OOOOoooOOOo

How insane!

Dole
March 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM
They have a laser tag set? Why?

Neuro Guro
March 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Instead of writing a book like i was last time we were talkin about this , I just believe:

If anything is successful the creator typically will keep building upon the idea till it can reach a "success climax" but as just someone who is enjoying the franchise , I really enjoy everything they make that is apart of the Halo Universe because its a idea to begin with so I enjoy everything they make , doesnt mean you have to buy EVERYTHING though.

But yeah I see what your talkin about them over doing it , but so far everything I've seen Ive enjoyed so far

Hurrvish
March 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM
the legendary edition is just a rip off, the only good thing is the helmet :P

Pooky
March 17th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I feel exactly the same way about Halo, and I'm neither paying for any legendary edition nor dealing with the hype, I'll get it when all that dies down. Again you speak truth about Star Wars, the first movie was cool, but after that you got beat over the head by marketing. By episode three, the hype was so bad I couldn't bring myself to see it in theaters... =|

So the way I see it, too much is the point at which you can't enjoy the core product without being bogged down by the marketing, hype, and fanboys.

n00b1n8R
March 17th, 2007, 05:56 AM
the legendary edition looks cool. i'm interested in all that behind the scenes stuff so it'd be cool to see what went into making the halo series (it's about the whole series, not just H3 as far as i know). also, FUCKING MASTER CHEIF HELMET :woot:

but aren't all new release 360 games like $110 in aus >.> i'd hate to see the price of legendary 0__o

DaneO'Roo
March 17th, 2007, 09:26 AM
^^^^^^^^^

240 bucks Australian ftl

no one here is fully into the "haloverse"

peopel in Australia aren't gunna buy the legendary, and I know this as fact. When kids say "mumy I want HAlo 3 for christmas", and they see this 240 dollar one, they're going to say "fuck no, i'm just guna get him the GAME"

Not a good marketing ploy by MS, same with H2V. If they made it XP, they'd be getting more money from it, because more people would buy it.

Hurrvish
March 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM
theyre taking advantage of all the full functionality of vista!!!

but if they made it for xp, they would make so much more money

I_Am_Error117
March 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Well I'm the most into halo person at my school, somed guys bougth the Le of Halo 2, but they prob will not but the Halo 3 legendary ed. nor do they have the books like me

stalker 4589
March 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM
thing is were are theys fan boys u speak so much off. i dont see them. welll SW fan boys stay in SW forums and halo fanboys stay in the bungie forums so tbh were not that plagued with them. ignor the hype its not that haad sure when i see a new screen shot i get a bit excited but i dont see were all this hype is at.