PDA

View Full Version : [VIDEO] Dark Side - Halo 3 Machinima Short

FireDragon04
December 28th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Hey Guys,
I recently released a new machinima short:

VIEW IN HD AT YOUTUBE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B58CW_nq7EY&fmt=22)

HBO Permalink (http://nikon.bungie.org/news.html?item=24838)

"Without explaining anything in the video to the audience it lets everyone take away their own conclusion to the video."

thehoodedsmack
December 28th, 2008, 08:27 AM
"Without explaining anything in the video to the audience it lets everyone get confused as fuck"

>: |

I'm all for the idea of interpretation, but you really should have told your viewers what it was they were watching... =_=

Aside from that, I enjoyed the effects and camera work, with the exception of how you would stop whenever that floating text would appear. Should have just kept paning the screen.

FireDragon04
December 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I tried some text on moving parts but it just went by far to quickly, however i did try slowing it down too, but i just didn't like it :lol:.

I was actually inspired by ARG Advertising and how that tells you pretty much nothing when you watch it, like some of the Jamie and Teddy videos for Cloverfield.

Also, nearly all machinima was dialogue based except for music videos, so that made me think of trying something different, which i did.

Thanks for the comment though.

Corndogman
December 28th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hmm, I Like it a lot. I actually understood it very well, it wasn't confusing to me at all. I like how you interpret it yourself. You're not supposed to know any of the back story, but you still kind of understand who this guy was and what happened.

Was great, +rep

Lord Ned
December 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Couple of issues:

Low framerate in the start. I've never done any work in Halo, so I don't know what control you have, but it looks funny, and is obvious.

Couple Animation Flickers. These could have been fixed by picking a better camera angle, or switching partway through. (Like the hog's wheel flickered)

Near the end where he's going through memories, I don't feel the tension I think your trying to create. They should probably flick through faster and faster, and have a flash + sound at each flash.

FireDragon04
December 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hmm, I Like it a lot. I actually understood it very well, it wasn't confusing to me at all. I like how you interpret it yourself. You're not supposed to know any of the back story, but you still kind of understand who this guy was and what happened.

Was great, +rep

This is exactly how i wanted people to interpret it, however it is very much like Marmite you love it or you hate it.

Couple of issues:

Low framerate in the start. I've never done any work in Halo, so I don't know what control you have, but it looks funny, and is obvious.

Couple Animation Flickers. These could have been fixed by picking a better camera angle, or switching partway through. (Like the hog's wheel flickered)

Near the end where he's going through memories, I don't feel the tension I think your trying to create. They should probably flick through faster and faster, and have a flash + sound at each flash.

The frame rate was intentional, glad someone noticed it actually.
The animation flickers where almost unavoidable but the wheel turning at the end of the first sequence looked pretty good i thought.

And yea i agree with the flashes stuff it could have been faster and i did try it alot faster but it seemed people who i preview-screened it to said to slow it down, which i did slightly. Also the ending part of the flashes with all the copies popping in use to be ALOT slower so i made that a bit faster too.

Thanks for the great input though, Much appricated.

Hunter
December 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Some very nice camera work and effects. But;

[list]
Intro seems a bit to long.
There is no "story" or idea to what it is about.
The camera needs to follow him more instead of stopping and starting in a new place, too much stopping and starting, it confuses people to where he is.

May be some other minor problems but don't have time to point them all out. But it does look good.

Inferno
December 28th, 2008, 06:48 PM
There's a reason why most videos have a story you know. ;)

It was good none the less.

Limited
December 29th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Sorry, but the music half way was horrendous, was it 2 songs put together? Basically the bit when he walked into the green room (the like cave/rooms in sandtrap) is when it happened. The music definitely didnt complement itself there.

Part from that, amazing video, great camera work, intro was a tad too long, nearly 1/2 of the whole video was intro but it was a great intro at that.

I like the mysteriousness of it, masterchief all alone in the desert, perhaps lonely. Then ventures into extraordinary things/

FireDragon04
December 31st, 2008, 02:57 PM
MARMITE
LOVE IT
HATE IT

Applies to this video too.

This recently got front paged on BUNGIE.NET (http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid16641)

Yea the 'double music track' thing may sound werid, but i didn't want the music to sound conventional i wanted to try to make it sound un-usual and confusing...an extra element of the confusion, i could have kept out however :rolleyes:.

ExAm
January 1st, 2009, 11:55 PM
I don't understand it at all. None of it makes sense, i can't make heads or tails of it with the scenes in any order.