PDA

View Full Version : New Case, new problem.

paladin
December 31st, 2008, 08:48 PM
So I got a new Cool Master HAF Full tower case today because with both my graphics cards wouldn't fit in my old Smilodon case. I transfered everything over to the new case perfectly fine, no problems what so ever. I go to power it on and theirs no signal. The computer has power and runs, but I get nothing on my monitor. I unplugged one of my graphics card to try and run with one and still nothing. After fittling with some of the power button plugs, I managed to get it to work. After I got to the login screen I shut down to plug everything else (second graphics card, all periferals, fans, usb, ect) I press the power button and... nothing. After about 40 minutes of frustration, I unplugged the main power connection to the motherboard and found that one of the 24 pin brackets was missing. So if you look at the connection from the PSU, one of tghe gold connecters inside is missing. I think #16. I looked on my old PSU and it had all 24 so I'm not sure if this is the problem or not. I think it is, so I am returning the new PSU (Thermaltake Toughpower 850) and getting a new one. As of now, I don't have my desktop working, I've spent 3 hours trying to get it to work.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Also, my motherboard is kind of old. I am getting a new one soon, but I don't think its the problem.

Specs
Q6600
MSI P9N 680i Sli
4GB Corsair XMS
2x Radeon HD 4870x2
850watt psu

Limited
January 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Seems to me (I'm no expert) that you've sussed the problem, the PSU. I think that thing has broken and isnt giving you enough wattage, therefore when you plug everything back in (which would demand high wattage) it just overloads it.

Hopefully your new PSU should fix it, if it doesnt then sorry don't know.

=sw=warlord
January 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM
Seems to me (I'm no expert) that you've sussed the problem, the CPU. I think that thing has broken and isnt giving you enough wattage, therefore when you plug everything back in (which would demand high wattage) it just overloads it.

Hopefully your new CPU should fix it, if it doesnt then sorry don't know.
CPU?
PSU more like it...
CPU central processing unit
PSU power supply unit.

Limited
January 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM
My bad, meant PSU :) Feeling rough from last night still lol.