PDA

View Full Version : New monitor crashing graphics driver?

Sel
January 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
I recently got a new monitor, and with it several graphics driver related crashes. For some reason the pc will just crash, and then attempt to restart and fail a few times before restarting properly. When it succeeds in restarting I get an ATI VPU recovery message, or a System has recovered from a serious error message. The only differences between my old monitor and this one is the new one is DVI, as opposed to VGA, It's widescreen instead of 4:3, and it goes to a much higher resolution(1920X1200) than my old monitor(1280X1024).

The resolution it runs in is well within what my graphics card is capable of doing, my graphics drivers are up to date. Any ideas?

Ifafudafi
January 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Try running it at a lower resolution (1024x768, for example) and see what happens.

Jelly
January 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't expect a monitor to cause many problems, since most use simple plug-and-play. Did your previous monitor require any drivers to be installed? Check about in device manager for labeled monitor drivers.

Did you install any drivers for this monitor? Did you update the ATI drivers without first uninstalling the old ones? ATI drivers can be extremely picky about how they are installed.

Sel
January 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
I updated the drivers as I usually do. The old monitor was recognized as a plug and play monitor, and did not require any drivers. I did not install any drivers for this one. However the ATI Driver recognizes the monitor name and all that, which it did not do with my old one.

Jelly
January 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Do the crashes still occur when you use your old monitor?

Sel
January 4th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Do the crashes still occur when you use your old monitor?

Nope, old monitor is fine.

They also occur in lower resolutions.

Lex1337
January 5th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Try to get a DVI-VGA adapter.

Sel
January 5th, 2009, 04:23 PM
That's what I used with my old monitor which was VGA, however the new monitor is DVI, so I'd really like to keep using that.

Anton
January 5th, 2009, 04:28 PM
vpu recover only pops up when your cards overheat and temporarily shut down and it brings it back up, it wont solve your problem u need better cooling or a more aggressive fan setting in your bios

and i cant disable it in x64 only in x86
Orig_Link (Http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showpost.php?p=2989659&postcount=5)

That's the first thing that I seen that may be of any help? :\

Edit: I also read that you can disable VPU Recovery...and it should be ok..

Sel
January 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
It happens like once a day at the most, so it's really hard to troubleshoot it, but I don't think the card is overheating, after all most of these crashes occur when I'm in windows, watching a video or something. They seem to happen when I get up and go do something, so I'm going to see if its a loose power cable or something, but I tried shaking the pc after and nothing happened, and it was a much more violent movement than what Id be causing simply by getting up.

Anton
January 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Disable the VPU recovery, the worst that it will cause is for the system to restart rather than exception like it is doing.

Sel
January 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM
The system restarts immediately already, the VPU recovery message shows up sometimes after the restart.

Anton
January 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Odd since VPU recovery is supposed to suppress the restarting of the system.

Maybe roll back the drivers instead of progressing forward?