PDA

View Full Version : H2V Jumpy

BobtheGreatII
January 5th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I really don't understand what's going on... I'm fairly positive that I should be able to run everything as high as it goes, and I can, just everything jumps around. I saw a few threads like this, none helpful to myself.
Anyway, it jumps no matter what resolution/graphics/anti-aliasing I'm on. But it's not running slow, runs great, just jumps.

Thanks in advance.

beele
January 5th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I have the same problem, the game runs great, but I get hick-ups every second. I can fix the problem by installing older GPU drivers, but then my performance sucks in other games :(

Anton
January 5th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Force Vsync on and see if it helps. It fixed my issue.

{XF}Lowsy
January 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Another issue is with the last Live update. Now 95% of the time that a new player enters the server you are playing in, that forces a hickup for some reason. We tested for this by playing on 32bit & 64bit servers. Servers run from homes, servers run from an internet backbone. Servers with the servertool and one's without.

It all boils down to the latest live update affecting this game. Which is going to be hard/impossible to patch.

Sunray
January 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I had this problem too. I believe it's a driver issue on nVidia cards. I found that any driver beyond version 177.41 makes the game stutter, anything below and it's fine. Not a clue as to why, but there we go, having the 177.41 version driver certainly the problem for me. Hope this helps.

BobtheGreatII
January 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I had this problem too. I believe it's a driver issue on nVidia cards. I found that any driver beyond version 177.41 makes the game stutter, anything below and it's fine. Not a clue as to why, but there we go, having the 177.41 version driver certainly the problem for me. Hope this helps.

In a way, yes and no. It does help me because at least I know what the problem is now. But I'm still not going to lower my drivers just for H2V... Hope another driver comes out soon, maybe it will fix the problem.

{XF}Lowsy
January 5th, 2009, 09:36 PM
hmm. I just looked up my nvidia drivers and I'm back on 163.69. With no problems. Now I feel good about not upgrading those.

Maybe you can find an old version and give it a try?

beele
January 6th, 2009, 12:42 AM
In a way, yes and no. It does help me because at least I know what the problem is now. But I'm still not going to lower my drivers just for H2V... Hope another driver comes out soon, maybe it will fix the problem.

I'm hoping the exact same thing, because drivers that do work with halo 2, completely fuck up my dual screen setup :(. Why can't I just have both :(

Needles
March 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I found some things that helped. First, download 'vista-anti lag' for online, http://vista-anti-lag.software.informer.com/.

In your nvidia control panel, disable PhysX. Also disable ANY forced AA,AF, or pre-rendered frames over 3.

Third, download FPS limiter. http://www.node357.ca/games/FPS_Limiter/FPS_Limiter_0.2.zip. There are many files, one is a .bat creator. Just put in the location of your halo 2.exe, cap the FPS at 60, and make sure ALL vsync is off too. This, for some strange reason, helps choppy-ness a lot.

I'm not back to getting FPS in the 60s, but instead of getting FPS in the 20s or, for some strange reason, VERY choppy.....40s (which I know makes no sense), I get smooth fps in the 50s. Or just downgrade your nvidia drivers to ones that are version 176 or older, if you don't mind performance drops in other games. Of course, I like it the 3-step way, especially since I can always use the newest drivers.

BobtheGreatII
March 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I found some things that helped. First, download 'vista-anti lag' for online, http://vista-anti-lag.software.informer.com/.

In your nvidia control panel, disable PhysX. Also disable ANY forced AA,AF, or pre-rendered frames over 3.

Third, download FPS limiter. http://www.node357.ca/games/FPS_Limiter/FPS_Limiter_0.2.zip. There are many files, one is a .bat creator. Just put in the location of your halo 2.exe, cap the FPS at 60, and make sure ALL vsync is off too. This, for some strange reason, helps choppy-ness a lot.

I'm not back to getting FPS in the 60s, but instead of getting FPS in the 20s or, for some strange reason, VERY choppy.....40s (which I know makes no sense), I get smooth fps in the 50s. Or just downgrade your nvidia drivers to ones that are version 176 or older, if you don't mind performance drops in other games. Of course, I like it the 3-step way, especially since I can always use the newest drivers.

Too much. I just set my drivers back. : /

Phopojijo
March 9th, 2009, 11:38 PM

I'm not back to getting FPS in the 60s, but instead of getting FPS in the 20s or, for some strange reason, VERY choppy.....40s (which I know makes no sense), I get smooth fps in the 50s. Or just downgrade your nvidia drivers to ones that are version 176 or older, if you don't mind performance drops in other games. Of course, I like it the 3-step way, especially since I can always use the newest drivers.Like I said in some other threads... Halo 2 Vista, because it was based off of a console game... has gamespeed tied into the framerate.

If you get an inconsistent framerate... the game gets confused as to what a second really is.

This is because consoles have their FPS locked to 25 or 29.97 for Pal or NTSC games (respectively).

That was supposed to change with the 360 and PS3 but... alas. Still 30FPS locked.

If you set VSync, you're limiting your framerate below what your computer can do... thus it'll be very stable... and not have the problem. This is why HaloPC had the 30FPS option.

Sunray
March 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I've tried updating drivers, and forcing Vsync doesn't make any difference at all for me, though thanks for the idea Phopojijo. The only thing I've ever got to work with this is downgrading drivers. I haven't tried the FPS limiter yet, but I'm attempting to learn German to read the readme and figure out how it actually works...

Needles
March 11th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I've tried updating drivers, and forcing Vsync doesn't make any difference at all for me, though thanks for the idea Phopojijo. The only thing I've ever got to work with this is downgrading drivers. I haven't tried the FPS limiter yet, but I'm attempting to learn German to read the readme and figure out how it actually works...
Click on FPS limiter GUI, type in the FPS cap you want with a number, name the .bat your creating, and find halo2.exe file location and paste it into the path. A new file will appear in the FPS limiter folder, halo2.exe.limited. Double click on it, leave the command prompt thing open, and wait for halo 2 to start, this might take 30 sec to 1 min.