PDA

View Full Version : Modeled with errors...

Cortexian
March 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM
http://68.147.205.84/pics/error.jpg

So yea... How do I fix that? And how do I find the overlapping stuff in max?

Roostervier
March 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM
Import the .wrl with the name of your map on it in the halo ce root directory. The orange faces are the ones over lapping. It's usually when people don't specifically triangulate something and a vertex is placed oddly, and it drags a face with it, almost "flipping" it because of things. What I do is check under the map for what looks like a polygon that is facing you, I then find the vertex pulling it, move it to a place where it no longer pulls it, and it is fixed. Or, if you have something like a ladder, or just another object in the map that is for some reason not physically attached (the bottom being deleted, the faces around it deleted, then recreated), then that object either needs to be attached, or it needs to be moved so it doesn't go through any faces.

Cortexian
March 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Oh, okay, thanks :), I've found the **********.wrl file, now what do I do with it exactly? I tried importing it into the scene but it's just a huge face that appears on the side of level...

Hunter
March 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
look for a orage face error. it will be a overlapping face, move the verts or faces away from each other

Roostervier
March 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
When you import .wrl files, uncheck ALL of the boxes.

Cortexian
March 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM
When you import .wrl files, uncheck ALL of the boxes.
Alright I'll try that, I was leaving one of them checked I believe.

LinkandKvel
March 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Quick question. How do you import .wrl into 3ds max. Just need to know for future reference.

Roostervier
March 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Click on "Import..." and go down to "VRML (.wrl) Files" (or something like that). The beginning is VRML, file type is .wrl. You could also use chimp, by I wouldn't understand why you would (since the other way is better and is already in 3ds max).

Cortexian
March 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Alright I've gotten past the model errors I think, now can anyone help with this:
http://68.147.205.84/pics/error2.png

Using my astute reasoning skills it would appear to be something to do with shaders or textures.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got past that, it was simply a mislabeled shader or something of the sort... Onwards to populating my test level!

teh lag
March 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Basically, tool hates it when you use a .shader_model in a bsp. Just change the shader name in 3ds to one that isn't a shader_model in your tags folder, re export and recompile.

Cortexian
March 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
For some reason the sky will not show up in sapien, and tool says that "some shaders were not labeled" or something like that, is anyone up to skinning and exporting this version?

Hell, I just want it exported, and yes, I ran radiosity...

LinkandKvel
March 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Click on "Import..." and go down to "VRML (.wrl) Files" (or something like that). The beginning is VRML, file type is .wrl. You could also use chimp, by I wouldn't understand why you would (since the other way is better and is already in 3ds max).
Thanx. + rep

Cortexian
March 21st, 2007, 11:25 PM
For some reason the sky will not show up in sapien, and tool says that "some shaders were not labeled" or something like that, is anyone up to skinning and exporting this version?

Hell, I just want it exported, and yes, I ran radiosity...
Oh and the map is all black and Sapien is spitting out a hell load of errors, I'm going away for a week this Friday for Military Pipeband Honour Band stuff, so I'll get back during spring break (Canadian one btw).

Roostervier
March 22nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
No problem, and if the map is all black, it means a couple of things. Either it doesn't have the right shader, or most likely you ran lightmaps without a sky, or one last thing I could think of: you don't have a +sky material in your skybox/ it's an inside map. If it's an inside map, place some light fixtures with rbg values all of 1 and you would most likely want to use a power of 1 to 10. Then rerun lightmaps.

Edward Elrich
March 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
wow, how pitiful. the thing would have given an exception error over a leaf before the models got fixed. of all the things to get an exception over, it would have HAD to be a leaf.

Cortexian
March 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
I have the sky set, in the scenario tag, and I'm using multiple textures... I wasn't sure on what to set them to in tool, I set most to shader_enviroment (the grass, cliffs, water, and base textures), I set plussky to shader_generic or w/e...

EDIT: Alright I fiddled with it and got the sky working and stuff, I got to run radiosity and get this message:

"Radiosity error: degenerate triangle [or triangle with bad uvs] (see blue in error geometry)"

So I pulled up the wrl in max and I see that it's pointing to the sides of the cliff "bridge", it looks like the texture is streched on the faces, I'm guessing this is unacceptable. Can I just get Sapien to ignore it for now? I really don't care how it looks right now until I can get a good level texture made...

kenney001
March 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
no you cant. Just select the afflicted faces, and apply a quick uvw box map. That error means the texture is stretched infinately, adn just needs a box map for testing.

Cortexian
March 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Alright, It's working, finally thanks for your help guys!