PDA

View Full Version : Detroit's Auto Show 2009

Mr Buckshot
January 13th, 2009, 06:09 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/detroit-auto-show/?tag=mncol;txt

How'd everyone find it? It's almost hilarious how almost every automaker rolled out some kind of fuel-efficient or electric vehicle, but then again there's never been a better time for that, especially in this current economy. Of course, those big marques like Ferrari would die before making an electric vehicle, so you can expect more big-engine unaffordable stuff from them.

Favorites so far:

http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/01/08/2009hondainsight.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/roadster_roundup/2010_bmw_z4_spied/2010_bmw_z4/bmwz4_09_spied_1/1291100-1-eng-US/bmwz4_09_spied_1_gallery_image_large.jpg

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/20090113/ElectricCars04_540x360.JPG

Bodzilla
January 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Didnt they role out electric cars and hybrids in order to receive the bailout, by saying they where changing and becoming a company of the future?

thats what happened with Holden in Australia.

and nice sig, shame it aint true >_>

Xetsuei
January 13th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Lol, hybrids. Gas prices went down and are starting to go back up. The auto makers were either too late, or just in time.

Every Ferrari that's been made has been sold or bought by the company itself. They don't have any problems at all selling them.

Since I'm not going to Detroit just for a car show, I'll stick with my state's one.

and nice sig, shame it aint true >_>

mech
January 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I've been going every year since I was 8, but didn't go this year because last year's was fucking terrible. It's the same shit over and over again, it lost all of it's cool factor once everyone went hybrid/electric/energy efficient vehicles. No one's developing sports vehicles any more. You may say what about the Ferrari's, seen it boring. I use to love going looking at the dubs, but it's just gay now. woo big rims on shitty cars :downs:

Mr Buckshot
January 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Lol, hybrids. Gas prices went down and are starting to go back up. The auto makers were either too late, or just in time.

I don't think it's really about the mileage as much as it is about the carbon footprint. Right now totally electric vehicles are still on the drawing board, with a few exceptions like the Tesla Roadster, plus there are all sorts of issues like range and the ease of recharging. So right now, hybrids are a great way to severely reduce the amount of smog that comes out of the tailpipe, since when you stop at red lights (very often) the gas engine shuts off 100%. If you look at, say, the Lexus LS 600hL, its mileage is immediately offset by the price (it is meant to compete with big V12 sedans) but it produces as much smog as a four-cylinder econobox. Smaller hybrids like the Prius rank as PZEVs (partial zero emission vehicles) because they have the best electric-only range.

Even diesels are focusing more on smog than on mileage. If you look at Mercedes-Benz Bluetec diesel systems, they employ some pretty advanced tech not to improve efficiency but to clean up their waste. Yeah they are more efficient than gasoline counterparts but not by that much.

'Cause the truth is, the air is getting dirtier in all parts of the world, and the environment and ecosystems suffer from it.

What state do you live in? Btw, the auto shows are coolest in Europe imo.

Xetsuei
January 13th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Consumers don't give a fuck about carbon footprint (unless your an environmentalist). All they want is a cheap car that gets great gas mileage. Nothing else matters.

And yes, I do know how a hybrid works. You don't have to explain it.

Huero
January 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Consumers don't give a fuck about carbon footprint (unless your an environmentalist). All they want is a cheap car that gets great gas mileage. Nothing else matters.

And yes, I do know how a hybrid works. You don't have to explain it.

not necessarily man
among my generation the green vibe is spreading
I'm not environmentalist but I want to get myself a hybrid, and not just because it's cheap

Xetsuei
January 13th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Where on earth are you hearing about this? Almost everyone I know doesn't care, despite being liberal.

But I highly doubt the average joe will care. People want to save money first, environment second or later.

Mr Buckshot
January 13th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Where on earth are you hearing about this? Almost everyone I know doesn't care, despite being liberal.

But I highly doubt the average joe will care. People want to save money first, environment second or later.

Isn't the EPA imposing carbon tax on higher-emissions vehicles? At some point federal tax credits were also offered for hybrids because of carbon footprint. I think some of the senior management in the automaking companies also care as well, because we have to live in this world and any damage we do to it will harm us as much as it harms our peers.

Xetsuei
January 13th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hybrids like the Toyota Prius and other high MPG cars aren't exactly "higher emission" vehicles, so that doesn't even apply.

E: And I can guarantee you the auto companies don't care (unless it's a new one started by some environmentalist), they want more money just as much as the next company. Hell even some companies that were developing cars that ran on alternative fuels were bought out by large oil companies. The environment will never go above money.