PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Will Tool for H2Vista have a GUI?

TheGhost
August 31st, 2006, 08:41 PM
Post what you think.

I think it will definitely have a GUI. So many new users of the HEK have no idea how to use Tool, and many who know how to use it prefer to use alternative such as programs with GUIs or batch files to execute the commands.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
August 31st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Didn't they say they were going to make it easier? If I remember correctly, then yes.

TheGhost
August 31st, 2006, 09:22 PM
Indeed. I believe their exact wording was "noob friendly."

PlasbianX
August 31st, 2006, 09:28 PM
Its gotta have a UI. Theres no way bungie would use a CMD method like before, as most noobs would be scratching their heads wondering what the hell to do. Im sure it will look something similar to tool++.

And does anybody have a link to kornman's hacked tool pro? Id like to have it.

TheGhost
August 31st, 2006, 09:41 PM
You're not referring to Tool++ (http://www.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=578) I take it? I don't think I've heard of another Tool he's made. He did a lot though.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
August 31st, 2006, 09:42 PM
He made a Tool_Pro for tiamat to break the size limit for coldsnap. Then later made a thread or something and released it.

Trinx
It wouldn't make any sense to say that it will be more "user friendly" and still have a CMD prompt interface, in my opinion. Some people have no idea how to use the CMD prompt.

PlasbianX
I thought he made a hacked tool that could get past file size limits and other stuff. If it is Tool++ that i may be referring to (cause i honestly have no clue, i have Tool++, and i never use it though) then nvm.

EDIT: yeah, whiplash is right. I searched and couldnt find the thread though :/

Teroh
August 31st, 2006, 10:33 PM
Of course it will...

itszutak
September 1st, 2006, 12:36 AM
He made a Tool_Pro for tiamat to break the size limit for coldsnap. Then later made a thread or something and released it.I thought it didn't work?

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM
It did, but there were random exceptions (or he couldnt start the map at all).

KiLLa
September 1st, 2006, 01:55 AM
I like tool :P
I don't mind the command lines at all, and can't stand tool++ or batch files :P
but yea, it'll definatly have a GUI.

Zenaku213
September 1st, 2006, 06:57 PM
Like KiLLa said, I also am very comfortable with just using the CMD for compiling files, and yet the stupid people will have to make Bungie give it a GUI.

IPBJT!
September 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM
Then have both, have tool.exe just like it is now, but add a program that would load tool and have a list of all the commands for those who can't understand the tool.exe we have right now, so people who want to use cmd can still do it

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
I wish we could have the best of both world. But I doubt they will put in a CMD-type application then a GUI-type application. Afterall the GUI type will be much better then what we have now. We're just used to it with CMD, which will change when h2V is out and about.

JunkfoodMan
September 2nd, 2006, 01:34 PM
I believe the Tool will have a GUI, mainly because Windows said they would focus all of the GUI on the Vista on a graphics card, Therefore Making the Main CPU run Smoother. That way, Maybe it will compile maps, Compile .JMS files, models etc. Faster.

Dust Storm
September 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Has anyone looked on Bungie and read teh FAQ's? They said they would have what seems to be some kind of map maker, since the community has been making their own maps for a while.

jcap
September 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
I believe the Tool will have a GUI, mainly because Windows said they would focus all of the GUI on the Vista on a graphics card, Therefore Making the Main CPU run Smoother. That way, Maybe it will compile maps, Compile .JMS files, models etc. Faster.
That...makes absolutely no sense at all. The having a GUI doesn't take away the load, it only adds MORE of a load to the CPU, especially when you have the entire Aero interface.

Has anyone looked on Bungie and read teh FAQ's? They said they would have what seems to be some kind of map maker, since the community has been making their own maps for a while.
Huh? Have you ever looked on Bungie and read their weekly updates? I can't exactly put my finger on what you are trying to get at here, but it sounds like you are attempting to say that there will be a map maker. We already know that, which is why this question is being asked. The "map maker" is pretty much going to be the HEK, but a little more user friendly, from what they are hinting at. This topic and poll are addressing the issue at hand whether Tool, one of the applications in the HEK for compiling tags, will have a GUI, or if it will just come with a better documented tutorial for use.

Dark_Hunter
September 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
I think this should be "Should Tool have a GUI" because we have no idea what Microsoft is gonna do with it.

Zenaku213
September 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Another reason they will probaly have a GUI for tool is beacuse of certain commands that require options, for example sounds. I know alot of people (noobs) who have trouble with doing sounds.

TheGhost
September 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
I feel like we could have made such a better GUI for Tool. I mean Tool++ was okay but it wasn't all that great.

Dark_Hunter
September 3rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't trust Microshaft for a better GUI, but that's just me >>

TheGhost
September 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Well, Microsoft isn't doing the port. They don't even do anything with the game except publish it. You can't really blame Microsoft for any of that. The only way Microsoft could make a game bad is if they explicitly make the company do something (i.e. make Halo's netcode dialup friendly), or rush a developer to get a game finished by a certain date (i.e. Halo for XBox launch).

Timo
September 3rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
<cough> A great example of a GUI for tool is Tool ex from hek+. It's all, window-inized

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
<cough> A great example of a GUI for tool is Tool ex from hek+. It's all, window-inizedOh yeah, I almost forgot about Tool-ex for HEK+. The only flaw it had was for models, and bsp's. Since you couldnt do shaders in it, no where to type. :/

Visable
September 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I hope they do, so many new people are going to be playing Halo 2 vista.

Teroh
September 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I'd like to see all the box maps that noobs make.
Names like "Rocket Box"
and
"Sword Box"
That will be hilarious. I can't wait.

TheGhost
September 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I wonder what the new tutorial.map will look like, heh.

That pretty much determines what the noob makes will look like.

Teroh
September 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Lets just hope Yoyorast makes another Island, and CMT makes blood gulch. Screw coag.

Scott-PL
September 10th, 2006, 04:44 PM
i can say for a fact
VISTA will have only GUIs

Chewy Gumball
September 10th, 2006, 05:06 PM
No you can't. You can only repeat what microsoft is telling you. A tool GUI will probably be included. I would be surprised if it wasn't.

~A.
September 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I honestly don't care if it they make a GUI for it or not.
but do they plan on including some sort of BSP builder or would we still use something like 3dsmax/gmax etc?

Rescudo
September 13th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I'd like to see all the box maps that noobs make.
Names like "Rocket Box"
and
"Sword Box"
That will be hilarious. I can't wait.
Let's just hope the noobs won't take all the good map names... :(

Boo Diddly
September 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM
yes, we will still have to have gmax/3ds max/whatever to model the bsp and models... Or at least that is what I *and practically everyone* is hoping for