PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to buy this game?

itszutak
February 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM
Following xmas and my birthday, I find myself with a good amount of extra money, which I was hoping to buy a game or two with. One of the games I was thinking of was H2V.

So my questions are thus: How bad of a port is is?
How many modacity people play it?
How will a computer with my specs handle it?
Is it worth it? (I don't have H2x at my house)

Syuusuke
February 1st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Q: So my questions are thus: How bad of a port is is?
It's not unstable, that's for sure. The controls are fine.
Q: How many modacity people play it?
A few, I play it too.
Q: How will a computer with my specs handle it?
Well enough, don't worry, don't expect 60, but I'm not too sure.
Q:Is it worth it? (I don't have H2x at my house)
I can't answer that, haven't played it in awhile. But there are annoying hackers and kids that will make you frustrated.

Now I have a question for you, have you previously owned a LIVE game for Windows (Games for Windows Live)?

Also, read this (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6854) and get your opinion from other people who own it and play it.

However, definitely do get TF2.

Inferno
February 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM
I play it occasionally. H2V VCTF is utter shit (especially coag) You just get a bunch of noobs running around spalattering and swording you and then 1 guy on each team sniping every one else. Don't do it. On the other hand the hardcore snipers, MLG style BR games and stuff on smaller maps is great. Headlong is a great map for sure. As long as you don't end up in a game with a ton of noobs its fine.

I play on occasion but still prefer CE. Oh and if you expecting to play custom maps forget about it.

Overall CoD4 is better. Because its fucking CoD4.

Roostervier
February 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Tbh I don't think it's worth it, but if you bought the game you could run it fine; all settings on max, etc.

l SINERGY l
February 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM
I play it still :) I ran into johnnyblaz the other day but that's the only modacity person i've seen.

Inferno
February 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Zombies is great in H2V. I managed a Kilimanjaro in zombies the other day.

Syuusuke
February 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
I go by a few LIVE alias, mainly to rack up on those points (hey, I get bored).

Zombies is fun, if they're not hacking and not being idiots.

Inferno
February 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
And not playing on a map where all the survivors get way out in the open and just massacre the zombies.

l SINERGY l
February 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Im always on those XF servers playing 24/7 coag lol. Never gets old.

t3h m00kz
February 1st, 2009, 06:28 PM
The good points of H2V.

1. You can get your FPS above 30 and in a higher resolution than the XBox, which is nice
2. Prettied-up textures
3. Custom maps
4. Mouse and keyboard
5. SERVER BROWSER <3

Bad

1. Shitty UI, someone can delay the game over and over, the chat system sucks ass too
2. You need Vista to play it online
3. The hit detection is just as fucked up as it was in Halo 2 XBox, IE long distance, even with a sniper in a level like the BloodGulch remake is painful and impossible
4. The mouse and keyboard feels fucking akward as hell. (To me at least, and I've played my share of FPSes)
5. Controllers are fucking bullshit. Auto aim + easier button glitches = huge fucking advantage. And people who use them say it's not an advantage.
6. The editing kit fucking sucks ass.

Overall it's not too terrible, but there's so much that could have been better.

l SINERGY l
February 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
The good points of H2V.

1. You can get your FPS above 30 and in a higher resolution than the XBox, which is nice
2. Prettied-up textures
3. Custom maps
4. Mouse and keyboard
5. SERVER BROWSER <3

Bad

1. Shitty UI, someone can delay the game over and over, the chat system sucks ass too
2. You need Vista to play it online
3. The hit detection is just as fucked up as it was in Halo 2 XBox, IE long distance, even with a sniper in a level like the BloodGulch remake is painful and impossible
4. The mouse and keyboard feels fucking akward as hell. (To me at least, and I've played my share of FPSes)
5. Controllers are fucking bullshit. Auto aim + easier button glitches = huge fucking advantage. And people who use them say it's not an advantage.
6. The editing kit fucking sucks ass.

Overall it's not too terrible, but there's so much that could have been better.

This basically sums it up. I love using button combo's on people. It's fun and yes sniping is retarded. If I wanna shoot across coag I have to aim at least an inch in front of them and even then I'll probably miss.

Inferno
February 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM
The button combos actually make the game more fun TBQH I love them. Its like active reload but more complex.

And yes hit detection is fucking bullshit some times.

Needles
February 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
It's worth it. Only $30 at wal-mart.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5775028

Inferno
February 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Halo 2 (PC) ?
I wish.

Mr Buckshot
February 1st, 2009, 07:48 PM
It's only worth it if you're really interested in the Halo story. Even then, the ending will leave you wishing Halo 3's PC port will come soon enough.

Otherwise, spend your money elsewhere. I'm sure you can run it maxed fine with your specs, but it's definitely one of the worst console-to-PC ports I've seen. Plus, there's no co-op, but this is more of a game engine issue than the developer's fault (AI doesn't work smoothly online on Blam, so no online co-op).

Keyboard and mouse controls are fine for walking, for driving they don't feel right, a gamepad works better for driving.

Weird issue, though: If your Fraps FPS counter shows an exceptionally high framerate, the game will actually lag instead as it doesn't seem to know how to handle high frames. Proven by Zeph.

I bought the game long ago (just for the free online MP as I'll never pay for XBL) and I regret it.

Syuusuke
February 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
You can't walk with a keyboard/mouse combo =/

Halo 2 (PC) ?
I wish.

What do you mean? That's H2V at 30 bucks.

Mr Buckshot
February 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM
$30 is too much for such an old game. It's fun, yes, but nothing outstanding, unless you're into full-on dual-wielding (one of the biggest novelties of the game). Most other PC shooters don't really do dual-wielding, e.g. in L4D the dual pistols just doubles clip size, not the damage.

If I were you I'd just buy an X360, or if I were cash-strapped I'd get a refurbished Xbox 1, either way it opens you up to some great titles other than Halo 2/3 that aren't on PC (or just didn't work well on PC).

itszutak
February 1st, 2009, 11:09 PM
Found a store that was selling it, and Crysis, for $25 each. Installing Crysis right now, H2V comes later. I'll post later if I think it was a good use of money.

Mr Buckshot
February 2nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
$25...great for Crysis, still a bit too much for H2V.

Have fun.

I don't expect Halo 3's PC port to be out for the time being, but I'm pretty sure it'll have one - we just have to hope that it won't be as messed up as H2V.

While this doesn't affect you or me, one of H2V's biggest mistakes was that it requires DX9/SM2.0 to run AT ALL, yet the graphics are more like DX8/SM1.1 even at highest settings. Doom 3 on a Radeon 9250 looks better than H2V on a current-gen video card. That fact alone cost MS many potential sales - believe it or not there are still people out there with outdated PCs that hit Doom 3/HL2 with ok or even great framerates but won't even run H2V.

itszutak
February 2nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
$25...great for Crysis, still a bit too much for H2V.

Have fun.

I don't expect Halo 3's PC port to be out for the time being, but I'm pretty sure it'll have one - we just have to hope that it won't be as messed up as H2V.

While this doesn't affect you or me, one of H2V's biggest mistakes was that it requires DX9/SM2.0 to run AT ALL, yet the graphics are more like DX8/SM1.1 even at highest settings. Doom 3 on a Radeon 9250 looks better than H2V on a current-gen video card. That fact alone cost MS many potential sales - believe it or not there are still people out there with outdated PCs that hit Doom 3/HL2 with ok or even great framerates but won't even run H2V.
I'm having fun watching the cutscenes and pointing out things I would have missed on an SD TV screen that didn't get updated when they went for an HD(+) game. First thing I notice: The broken halo they use at the beginning? Concept art. It even has scribbles of shading all over it :v:

The game runs very smoothly, and the shadows look nicer. I set my expectations low, and they met them. Hitboxes are hilariously huge, but it works with the abnormally slow mouse.

My only big complaint is that the buttons are sluggish, especially crouching. I guess I wouldn't notice it with an xbox controller, but I like using a keyboard.

Tried online play, found only one non-locked and active server. Played a custom map, which was nice. I joined parway through and got in the top 3

The textures tend to vary from sharp to extremely blurry-- Especially skyboxes.

The audio is nice.

All in all, I think it was kind of worth the price. It is a pretty long game, after all.

t3h m00kz
February 2nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
The button combos actually make the game more fun TBQH I love them. Its like active reload but more complex.

And yes hit detection is fucking bullshit some times.

Quadshotters for life, dawg

I'll never pay for XBL

I've got something for you. http://www.xbconnect.com/

Syuusuke
February 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
And fortunately GFWL is free completely, no matter if you're silver or gold.

whats your Live account itzutalkker

Mr Buckshot
February 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I'm having fun watching the cutscenes and pointing out things I would have missed on an SD TV screen that didn't get updated when they went for an HD(+) game. First thing I notice: The broken halo they use at the beginning? Concept art. It even has scribbles of shading all over it :v:

The game runs very smoothly, and the shadows look nicer. I set my expectations low, and they met them. Hitboxes are hilariously huge, but it works with the abnormally slow mouse.

My only big complaint is that the buttons are sluggish, especially crouching. I guess I wouldn't notice it with an xbox controller, but I like using a keyboard.

Tried online play, found only one non-locked and active server. Played a custom map, which was nice. I joined parway through and got in the top 3

The textures tend to vary from sharp to extremely blurry-- Especially skyboxes.

The audio is nice.

All in all, I think it was kind of worth the price. It is a pretty long game, after all.

Yeah I agree the game looks and sounds very nice even today, it's just that the techno-part is outdated with unfair requirements. H2V natively supports the X360 usb controller - in fact plugging it in will trigger all those xbox-reference button prompts in-game (e.g. Hold X to swap for...). I felt it controlled much better with that, especially the vehicles. But the mouse is still great for aiming, only the keyboard controls are sluggish.

Cool thing to try: Snipe plasma nades in mid-air before they land. It's possible on H2X too, done entirely by chance. You can also shoot the turrets off dropships with concentrated automatic fire (chaingun turrets work best), even if you can't destroy the dropships.

GFWL used to charge for voice chat when it first came out but I think MS woke up and made a lot more things available to Silver users.

Syuusuke
February 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
I do that with the frag nades. Love to reactions too.

Mr Buckshot
February 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah, if you have t3h sk1llz, it never gets old to shoot and detonate live grenades while they're in the air.

Also, a plasmapistol-magnum or plasmapistol-SMG dual wield combo is damned cheap, even cheaper than a PP-BR single wield combo. I can own easily online with a PP-SMG combo even with a gamepad.

Inferno
February 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
BR Sniper Combo dog.
Or even just BR by itself. FR-RMB and RFR-RMB have saved me countless times when I'm just using a single BR.

itszutak
February 2nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
And fortunately GFWL is free completely, no matter if you're silver or gold.

whats your Live account itzutalkker
I think it's itzutak.

Not sure. Try both itzutak and itszutak, because one of those works :v:

E: Yeah it's itzutak