PDA

View Full Version : H2V Anti-cheats

Wolfchild
March 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
In HaloPC, aimbotting, wireframing, bluewalling, and gamma hacks are rampant. I wouldn't expect Bungie to tell us exactly what they would be doing to prevent these kinds of cheats in H2V, but I have seen no mention that they are incorporating any anti-cheating features in H2V.

Has anyone seen any comments that the H2V development will address hacking in any way?

(If this has already been discussed here - sorry. I couldn't find it.)

Thanks,
woof

Stealth
March 24th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I've seen a few over at Bungie's PC Halo/H2V forums, and there was a few ideas like punk buster, or something like that, and as long as people don't make any of those hacks for H2V, you're save. But you'll have other ways of cheating, like modding in match making, Ded server which have Admins will keep the their ded servers clean of modding.

Con
March 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I really hate punkbuster, I hope Bungie uses something of their own.

On a sidenote,

In HaloPC, aimbotting, wireframing, bluewalling, and gamma hacks are rampant.

http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-wtc.gif is bluewalling?

MereCatfish
March 24th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I think we can be pretty certain that Hired Gun have done everything in their power to deter cheats.

Limited
March 25th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Cheats are rampant in every game, what's your point. Get over it or get out and find a better server.
Just because it happens we should all just put up with it? Dude your attitude sticks, luckily you have no power in the world.

Things should be done, hopefully in h2v there will be some kind of anti hack mumbojumbo. But I hope it isnt too restrictin, I like making fun apps for halo but without the intent of giving me an advantage. Thats why I like halo 1, theres no real boundaries, I wouldnt even touch CSS incase I get steam banned.

btw bluewall is like glass wall, its like wall hacking.

Limited
March 25th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Vac stops most cheaters. Most cheaters are retarded shits that just download a script/app and just click run. These are the majority that get blocked by anti cheat. I gotta admit, VAC does a good job.

Things get updated fried, anti cheat can get updated.

Play in a server full of cheaters, and you'll get owned. It's your own damn choice.
Its my damn choice to buy and play the game. Seriously fried you never think things through.

Its like getting your car stolen, you'd reply with "yah well they shouldnt have parked it on the street, shit happens sux get on with life"

would you call the cops and say its been stolen? I would I want my car back, try to lock that bastard up in jail.

Leiukemia
March 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
That's like getting rid of the police force because crime inevitably happens. That's just bullshit. I'd rather have the minor cheators left in the dark. Really, it's not the hardcore cheaters that are annoying, it's the little fools with their minor h4x.

Limited
March 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Uh what? Bitching about it DOES get things happening, didnt COD2 or COD3 get punkbuster after people complained about hackers?

Your whole "you picked that server, why not lave find a different one will mature people" is just stupid, I shouldnt fucking have to quit a server that I possibly go on alot just because some one lame fuck wants to actually get a decent score for once. Like in halo, I play in one server and one server only due to the fact I got great ping in it :P

Cheating shouldnt be a part of everyday gaming, you shouldnt have to put up with some cases of cheating. Cheating is cheating, there is no "good" side to cheating.

Limited
March 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
You've completely missed the point of every last thing I've said. I'm done talking to a brick wall.
Why dont you bother reading my post instead of blasting out some crap?

You said "I'm saying bitching about cheating is pointless because CHEATING STILL HAPPENS"

Pointless, meaning you get nothing out of it, waste of time etc.

I just said about COD getting PB. Isnt that hitting the point?

Do you enjoy playing with cheaters?

TheGhost
March 25th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Stop arguing you two.

The fact of the matter is that there will always be cheaters, regardless of what kind of community is playing the game.

PC games are more prone than consoles... but from what I've seen on Halo 2 I'm hoping that H2V implements some good anti-cheating methods.

Limited
March 25th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Stop arguing you two.

The fact of the matter is that there will always be cheaters, regardless of what kind of community is playing the game.

PC games are more prone than consoles... but from what I've seen on Halo 2 I'm hoping that H2V implements some good anti-cheating methods.You mean that like aimbot where you could shoot any where and it always hit the opponent? that one sucked yeh =\

Perhaps as you need like Windows Live, they can ban your hole account instead of in halo ce, if u aimbot and get banned from a server its JUST that server.

Basically like in xbox live if you hack they ban your account.

[MT]Slayer
March 26th, 2007, 12:21 AM
so what about devmode again?

Random
March 26th, 2007, 12:33 AM
As long as they don't use punk buster I am happy. I never can play with games that use punk buster because it always boots me and shit. :/

Kornman00
March 26th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Trust me, they're taking measures for protecting against HaloPC's flaws ;)

Wolfchild
March 26th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I see where Bungie's H2V FAQ says;

Q: How does Halo 2 for Windows Vista cope with cheating, aimbots, and so on?
A: Cheating is a big concern for us, especially in online play, just as it is for any online game regardless of platform. Windows Vista and Live include several features intended to prevent cheating in online games, and players who need an extra degree of certainty can control their own community using Dedicated Servers or Live Friends lists. Even so, there will always be those who work around these measures and make it impossible to eliminate cheating completely. We’re doing all we can to make sure that online play is fun for the majority of honest H2V players.This sounds as though it was written by a marketter - not a developer. I guess I just miss the days of Marathon. Back then if I had a question about the development, I knew who to ask to get an authoritative, semi-inside asnswer.

Sigh. It sucks getting old. :gonk:

I've seen a few over at Bungie's PC Halo/H2V forums, and there was a few ideas like punk buster, or something like that, and as long as people don't make any of those hacks for H2V, you're save. But you'll have other ways of cheating, like modding in match making, Ded server which have Admins will keep the their ded servers clean of modding.

The same could have been said of Halo PC, and it has been proven to be woefully susceptible to hacking. And from what I've seen, all of the hacks are client-side so it doesn't matter what the ded server admins do.

On a sidenote, wtf is bluewalling?

There are two types of hacks that I've seen that get called bluewalling. One is a texture hack where transparency gets added to the textures that are used for interior walls, allowing you to see through them. Since most of Halo's interior wall textures are bluish, they end up looking translucent blue.

The other hack appears to me to be some sort of DirectX Z-buffer hack, where when rendering a scene and deciding what surfaces are hidden it causes Halo to skip the first surface if there is a second one behind it. This seems to cause players behind a wall to be rendered in front of it. My knowledge of of 3D game rendering is 6-7 years old, so this is only a guess.

I'm done talking to a brick wall.

Thank God.

woof

TheGhost
March 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Great post, Wolfchild. I like new members like you. =)

+rep

Also, I definitely agree with you about the fact that it sounds like marketer wrote that tidbit on cheating prevention; I was thinking that the first time I read it. It's so bland and written so that it actually reveals nothing.

And Random, I had that problem with Punkbuster booting me too, but if I set the computer's administrator permissions correctly, it stopped booting me. It was booting me because because it was blocked access to certain things it needed to check because it didn't have proper permissions to perform those checks. Play around with it a little.

Wolfchild
March 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Great post, Wolfchild.

ty. The irony is that although I know something about many of the Halo PC hacks, I have no firsthand knowledge. Since I play on a Mac none of them are available to me to even test. I guess I could make my own bluewall texture hack, but I'm good enough that I don't need it. ;-)

Does anyone know of any forum frequented by by the Hired Gun folks?

woof

Zeph
March 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Stop arguing you two.

PC games are more prone than consoles... but from what I've seen on Halo 2 I'm hoping that H2V implements some good anti-cheating methods.

Halo 2 on the xbox wouldn't have a single problem if there was a check run on the map before every game the client plays to make sure it matches the others. Too bad that's never been done before.... Oh wait, yes it was. It was used in custom edition! Too bad the only problem with it is an input-based cheat.

Kornman00
March 28th, 2007, 12:10 PM
While I was coding the auto map added to Yelo I made it so that it would allow me to use a modded map :-3