PDA

View Full Version : New Forum, "The Vent Room"?

Snowy
February 2nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hey all,
Now while I most certainly realize that Modacity is most definetly not a "social wbesite" (ie myspace, facebook, etc.. well, to some it may be :p) I often see a lot of threads with members posting real life problems, or situations (divorse, death, just general stressful things). I usually see members posting these threads in Off Topic, but they're generally closed soon after. I was thinking we could have a new forum called something like "The Vent" where you can just go in, rant a little, post about your real life situation and see if any other's have advice on it. Ocassionally, you just need to vent. While this forum wouldn't be just a forum to rant, it would be a place where you could share your stressful situation and recieve advice. When in these situations, any little bit of advice or comfort helps, even if it's on the internet. With most of use having lives outside of modacity, I think it would be a good idea to have a forum like this where you could share your advice, stories, or general involvment in life.

Phopojijo
February 2nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Or it could be saved for member blogs when they fuckin' finish coding it.

Jeebus it's been like... a year they've been trying...

legionaire45
February 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Lol, that was a fun vaporware feature.

I doubt that people will really use that feature here anyway; after the initial buzz people will continue posting dumb threads like normal. That's what always ends up happening with new features around here.

In theory, off topic is a fine place for all of the shit threads because that is where they belong; they don't relate directly to modding or technology, so the only logical place is to stick them there. Unless someone wants to go and make another section (like a blog section). Personally I couldn't give a shit even if I wanted to.

Heathen
February 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Lol, that was a fun vaporware feature.

I doubt that people will really use that feature here anyway; after the initial buzz people will continue posting dumb threads like normal. That's what always ends up happening with new features around here.

In theory, off topic is a fine place for all of the shit threads because that is where they belong; they don't relate directly to modding or technology, so the only logical place is to stick them there. Unless someone wants to go and make another section (like a blog section). Personally I couldn't give a shit even if I wanted to.
But then we can just go "You have a blog for that" They will go post in it an no one will reply and they will see no one cares.

They will either go die, stop blogging, or keep doing it. Either way its not bothering us. Problem solved.

Mr Buckshot
February 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
we need the "omg liek lollipopz" section from the CMT haloimpulse forums (you know, the one that Freelancer managed or something).

n00b1n8R
February 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
I don't think a "Real Life" board would hurt. (perhaps a sub to OT?).

It'd get rid of a bit of unwanted clutter for those of us who don't give a toss.

Atty
February 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Since most of us don't care about those threads we won't check that forum which would make it ultimately useless.

Go post on your Myspace blog, a Facebook note, or a LiveJournal. They are there for a reason, go use them. If we care enough about you to investigate your personal life we'll check your website link in your profile, which is where you can leave a link to your social net-cry about my life-working site of choice.

Kornman00
February 3rd, 2009, 12:26 AM
I've just got fed up with the crap in OT that I only check it every few days for anything good. Which is once in a blue moon

Heathen
February 3rd, 2009, 12:27 AM
I am agreeing with atty. I for one wouldn't care after 2 or 3 of these threads.

p0lar_bear
February 3rd, 2009, 03:42 AM
Or it could be saved for member blogs when they fuckin' finish coding it.

Jeebus it's been like... a year they've been trying...

Uh, Phopo, we cut blogs ages ago due to the fact that Wordpress Multi-User (and it's less cluttered mod Lyceum) was a complete bitch to work with. We couldn't get it integrated into the site due to how blogs were created. %-)

We're considering purchasing a license for vBulletin Blogs.

StankBacon
February 3rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
waste of money.

supersniper
February 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Meh I only check the off topic section for current events/news related issues to talk about in sociology...
Really that "new" section is not needed.

Cortexian
February 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM
we need the "omg liek lollipopz" section from the CMT haloimpulse forums (you know, the one that Freelancer managed or something).
I was a full admin for the entirety of Haloimpulse when it existed. Though I never really moderated the CMT sub-domain at all, I left that up to whoever Masters had in charge of webshit at the time.