PDA

View Full Version : [TUTORIAL] ThePlague's Tutorial Index

ThePlague
February 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Here's a list, or overview of all the tutorials i've made. There will be more to come when I make them, and this topic will be updated when such is done.

How to make a basic interior human map using a plane and 3ds max/Gmax:

Link:
http://files.filefront.com/HowToMakeABasicHumanMapzip/;13248802;/fileinfo.html

Readme (Also included with the .zip file):

Tutorial by ThePlague

I made this tutorial in order to show how to create a basic interior human map using just a plane. It goes through pretty much all of the tools that are needed in order to create almost anything.

The .max file and .3ds file included is just for reference, DO NOT use it to actually make a map, and if any case you do, please make me the true creator of it.

You can also do more than just what I did, but I wanted to get the basics out for you instead of doing everything.

Buttons I used in the tutorial:

Shift+drag = Clone
Alt+Select things = Select multiple things
Middle mouse button = move camera slightly
Middle mouse button+ alt = rotate camera
X = Show transform gizmo (For when you lose the little green, blue, red arrow things
Ctrl+C = Copy
Ctrl+V = Paste

Additional buttons you can use:

F9 = render
F10 = open render editor
Open material editor = M

Email: theplague897

Remember, Halo Custom Edition is for fun, don't get too serious about it!How to make a .bat file (To easily tool something when you have to tool it multiple times):

Link:
http://files.filefront.com/Bat+File+Creation+Tutorialzip/;13249199;/fileinfo.html

Readme (aslo included in the zip file):

Tutorial by ThePlague

This tutorial was created to make .bat files for tool so it's easier to tool things, such as a map, when you have to repeditly do it.

You do not have to use this method if you are only tooling something once, because that's a waste of time.

I hope this helps you in your voyage across the Halo Modding Universe :)
How to unwrap a model using 3ds max/Gmax:

Link:
http://files.filefront.com/How+to+unwrap+a+modelzip/;13254026;/fileinfo.html

Readme (Included with the .zip file):

Tutorial by ThePlague

This tutorial was created to learn how to unwrap a model in 3ds max/Gmax. It shows the basics of unwrapping, and how to get the UVW template so you can texture the model

- Unwrap template

1024x1024 - High quality texture
2048x2048 - Super high quality texture

Like I said, there will be more tutorials when I make them. I hope these help you out in your journey to mod Halo Custom Edition.

Requests so far i've gotten:

Rendering
Tagging a vehicle
How to make a map from start to finish
How to make a HUD
How to fix errors on a BSP
Custom lightmaps

Keep the requests coming! If I know how, i'll do it.

Anton
February 9th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I quickly watched the Unwrap tutorial. It's ..decent... but your unwraps could be a lot better. I'm not going to watch the modeling one due to me being busy, but I'm sure someone else can.

On your unwraps, there is to much wasted space, and your objects aren't scaled properly. At least thats what I see.

Thanks for taking the time to teach others! :)

ThePlague
February 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I know the unwrapping wasn't great, and it's totally not my best work at all, I just made it for people to learn the basics. Disaster is making a better one, so I made this easy one so you learn the basics, then you can go and watch his.

If anyone needs a tutorial, you can request it, and i'll most likely make it.

Flames
February 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Oh, I have a request. Can you make a tutorial on rendering? Please.

ThePlague
February 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah, but it's going to be my simple rendering type. I'll do that and a wireframe in the same video, because it should be pretty short.

Joshflighter
February 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Good job with getting it out. :)

Limited
February 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Could you maybe post pictures of the end result? I'm ok-ish at modelling and what to see if I can get anything out of it.

Edit: Ok I watched the unwrap one, and gotta say but it wasnt amazing. You didnt even use the checkerboard pattern, which is used to make sure the texture isnt stretched. You didnt overlay textures too well, the bottom of the legs, you should have selected all 4 and then big planar, then they are on each other perfectly (I usually target weld the verts just incase).

And also the very first planar you did, the texture will definitly be stretched as they werent planar and you didnt stretch out the curved part (to compensate for the fact they arent planar).

ThePlague
February 10th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Well, most of that stuff I didn't know about until you just said it. I know the tutorials aren't great, because i'm sure as hell not great, but the point is that I tried to help out, and that's what i'm doing and will do.

Limited
February 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I understand and commend you for making the tuts, I will probably download modeling one, and dont think I'm bashing the video, I'm just passing on a bit of knowledge I know. (Doesnt happen much with max lol :D)

ThePlague
February 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I understand and commend you for making the tuts, I will probably download modeling one, and dont think I'm bashing the video, I'm just passing on a bit of knowledge I know. (Doesnt happen much with max lol :D)
Alright, and i'll be sure to learn whatever the hell you were talking about :)

More tutorials will be coming soon!

Dr Pepper
February 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Sweet we need more

ThePlague
February 12th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have 6 video requests, and this weekend i'm going to try and do them all.

Should I add voice in these, or no?

Limited
February 12th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Yes to voices :D

ThePlague
February 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Yes to voices :D
Alright.

Dr Pepper
February 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
When's the new tuts coming?

ThePlague