PDA

View Full Version : BSP extraction?

MissingSpartan7
February 11th, 2009, 01:54 AM
does anyone know a way of extracting either the BSP or the BSP model from halo 2 maps?

just want to mod a few/re-model a few

ShadowSpartan
February 11th, 2009, 07:16 AM
There are no public bsp extractors for Halo 2 PC. You can extract bsp's from Halo 2 Xbox maps though, just search around Halomods.com to find a program.

johnnyblaz20
February 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM
You can use Entity UE v1.6 to extract any h2X bsp. But for H2X model extraction look for ADI v1.2c.

Con
February 14th, 2009, 06:47 PM
has anyone tried 3d ripper dx (http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm) with h2v?

ShadowSpartan
February 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
You can use Entity UE v1.6 to extract any h2X bsp. But for H2X model extraction look for ADI v1.2c.
Entity extracts models from Halo 2 Xbox maps as well. Why would anybody use an old program like ADI for model extraction? Entity may not be the best extractor, but it is the most stable public model extractor.

has anyone tried 3d ripper dx (http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm) with h2v?
Hmm, I'm not sure if anybody has tried it. It would probably work though.

Inferno
February 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM

That's cool. Really cool.

l SINERGY l
February 15th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Tried that ripper thing on the bridge part of new mombasa... didn't turn out so well... I'll try some other sections of the game that are smaller but yea it doesn't seem like a good method.

leorimolo
February 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I tried it once... Didn't go that well with my computer

p0lar_bear
February 16th, 2009, 04:02 AM
You need to make sure that when you go to take the 3d screenshot that the FOV is filled in correctly, otherwise your models will be squished.

l SINERGY l
February 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
You need to make sure that when you go to take the 3d screenshot that the FOV is filled in correctly, otherwise your models will be squished.

That wasn't the problem with mine... When I did it I was missing about 95% of the scene.

Con
February 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM
That wasn't the problem with mine... When I did it I was missing about 95% of the scene.
of course, it only captures the geometry that's being rendered in that frame. You need to go around the map taking multiple captures, then put them together in max. It shouldn't take long.

johnnyblaz20
February 18th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Entity extracts models from Halo 2 Xbox maps as well. Why would anybody use an old program like ADI for model extraction? Entity may not be the best extractor, but it is the most stable public model extractor.

Hmm, I'm not sure if anybody has tried it. It would probably work though.

Well with the correct plugin ADI extracts models much nicer with no errors or open edges. Entity does not. But either will work for models.

ShadowSpartan
February 18th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Well with the correct plugin ADI extracts models much nicer with no errors or open edges. Entity does not. But either will work for models.
When extracting with Entity, you must weld the vertices of the entire model once it is imported into max. It takes like 5 seconds to do.

As for ADI having NO errors, it depends on what you consider an error. If you plan on converting a bsp for use in Halo 1, there are many errors that will have to fixed regardless of which extractor you use.

Also, to my knowledge, ADI does not have the ability to extract Instanced Geometry, which makes it an inferior extractor. I get what you mean about Entity though, it's not the best program in the world, but it is the best public extractor for bitmaps, models, and bsps.

johnnyblaz20
February 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
All i use ADI for is extracting instanced geometry. I also use Entity. So w/e. Just a personal preference.

Grimdoomer
February 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
No 3D ripping program will work with halo 2 based models. They have compressed verticies, normals, binormals, tangents, and UVs. The normals, binormals and tangents are compressed using the bounding box values found in the meta. Verticies are compressed using a similar method.

ShadowSpartan
February 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM
No 3D ripping program will work with halo 2 based models. They have compressed verticies, normals, binormals, tangents, and UVs. The normals, binormals and tangents are compressed using the bounding box values found in the meta. Verticies are compressed using a similar method.
Apparently they will work according to Sinergy. The way the models are stored in the cache has nothing to do with what is actually being rendered.

Choking Victim
February 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
The compression wouldn't matter, since when it's passed to the renderer it's already decompressed. That's where 3DripperDX is actually grabbing the data from, and that's why it works on most if not all applications using Direct X.

MissingSpartan7
March 4th, 2009, 01:31 AM
are the h2x files on the net anywhere?
cos i don't have an xbox (pity me.)

p0lar_bear
March 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Maybe, but we can't tell you where to get them, as that would be piracy.

paladin
March 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
3D Ripper works, but every time I tried to use it, Id have to restart the game. Once it went into the wire frame mode when it captured, it wouldn't go back to normal and I couldn't move. But i imported what it captured and it worked pretty good. I half of Coagulation.

Resinball
February 21st, 2011, 12:11 AM
Yes-yes old post and all that, but I have some updated info.

Last time I tried 3D Ripper DX it was with version 1.5. I just tried the updated Version 1.8.1 (http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/downloads/3DRipperDXSetup.exe) and had success. I was able to rip what looks like 98% of the H2V only map Uplift to a .3DR and/or a .OBJ.

To speed up the process I used this .DDS plug-in (AFAIK it may only be required with 3DS Max 8 and Vista): 3DS Max R8 DDS PlugIn (http://www.monstrmoose.com/MMrepository/Halo_Tools/3D/Apps_+_Plug-ins/3DS_Max/3DSMaxR8DDSPlugIn.rar)

Of course I will have to fix it up by attaching all the separate objects and verifying/recreating the material tree.

I may try the .OBJ version along with this plug-in which populates the materials for you: GW Objio (http://www.monstrmoose.com/MMrepository/Halo_Tools/3D/Apps_+_Plug-ins/3DS_Max/gw_objio.dle)

Computron
February 26th, 2011, 12:00 AM
cool, so we can expect a uplift mod as soon as you can extract the textures?