PDA

View Full Version : Poor Firefly | Somehow about BSG now too ~Zeph

Rob Oplawar
March 26th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I saw the battlestar galactica thread and figured Firefly deserved one too.

battlestar is ok I guess, but it's just not very original, and it's only selling point is that it's got "sci fi action sequences!™"
I think Firefly was a MUCH better scifi show because it was about the characters, not the sci fi. I know, I know, now the battlestar fans are going to barge in here and say battlestar's got great characters and blah blah blah, but you know what? It really doesn't. The acting's not too good, and the characters are all just tossed together steryotypes made to say interesting lines for the sake of the plot- they're just generic people acting out the story. Firefly's characters are all unique and have, well, character. They act for themselves, not for the plot. It's believable, you know?

Anyway, to the battlestar fans: I was decent enough not to put this in your thread, so please don't come in here flaming me. I respect your show. It does get good ratings.

I think Firefly was one of the best shows I've seen on TV and wish they had advertised it better, because if anybody had known the show was there it would have been a hit. Here's to the best cancelled show on TV.

Emmzee
March 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
because if anybody had known the show was there it would have been a hit.
It wasn't a problem with advertising, the problem was the show, just like Star Trek Voyager and Game Over, was on UPN.

Varmint260
March 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM
FireFly is an awesome show with a lot of character. I personally was saddened to realize that it ended in 14 episodes and 1 movie, but hey! We at least have those 14 episodes and 1 movie to cherish, right?

Pooky
March 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I liked Firefly. Don't like BS Galactica. No reason, I just do.

Limited
March 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Hey that reminds me, wheres that other british dude with the name firefly (or at least some thing near firefly).

Sorry for O/Tness

CN3089
March 26th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Firefly is indeed awesome, although its fans can be really creepy sometimes (google "browncoats"). I guess they're the reason we got Serenity, though, so vhttp://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/smile.gifv

battlestar is ok I guess, but it's just not very original, and it's only selling point is that it's got "sci fi action sequences!™"
I think Firefly was a MUCH better scifi show because it was about the characters, not the sci fi. I know, I know, now the battlestar fans are going to barge in here and say battlestar's got great characters and blah blah blah, but you know what? It really doesn't. The acting's not too good, and the characters are all just tossed together steryotypes made to say interesting lines for the sake of the plot- they're just generic people acting out the story.

Are you sure you're not confusing the old Battlestar with the new one?

I_Am_Error117
March 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I miss Star Trek: Eneterprise :(

BobtheGreatII
March 26th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I liked Firefly. Don't like BS Galactica. No reason, I just do.
Same here.

PlasbianX
March 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Its a good song.

lol.

Con
March 26th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I hate firefly, I found it kinda cheap and the acting bad. I'm talking about some older episodes that I watched, however, as never wanted to watch it again after that. The new BSG is very original, it's much more thought out and innovative than the original series. The characters and plot are quite complex and developed, so you must be talking about the old BSG.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming you. I respect your opinion too, I just think that maybe firefly was cancelled for a reason?

Pooky
March 27th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Because not everybody wanted a western set in space, which is essentially what Firefly is?

Rob Oplawar
March 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Actually, sorry if I came off as bashing bsg in my first post, it's really not too bad and I can't really judge because I've only seen a couple of episodes. I just meant that by comparison, Firefly's characters are much more developed and much less Hollywood style.
As for a western set in space, yeah I guess you're right. I really liked it and thought it worked really well, but I guess that's not what people are looking for. Like I said, people want sci-fi action and spaceships exploding and laser guns and stuff, and Firefly had very little of that, focusing on the characters instead. And that's actually the reason I prefer it.

Dole
March 27th, 2007, 05:48 PM
It wasn't a problem with advertising, the problem was the show, just like Star Trek Voyager and Game Over, was on UPN.
Heh. UPN.
Under Paid Negroes and Un 'Preciated Nerds.

CN3089
March 27th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I really liked it and thought it worked really well, but I guess that's not what people are looking for. Like I said, people want sci-fi action and spaceships exploding and laser guns and stuff, and Firefly had very little of that, focusing on the characters instead. And that's actually the reason I prefer it.

It sounds like you'd really like Battlestar Galactica. Have you watched it? :v

Really though, Firefly and Battlestar Galactica are the only 'sci-fi' shows I can stand watching. Everything else is just useless http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-techno.gif , spaceships exploding and lasers and black-holes and http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/rolleyes.gif

Agamemnon
March 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Not even Stargate?

Rob Oplawar
March 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Oof. PLEASE don't get me started on Stargate. Loved the movie, CANNOT STAND that show. It makes me angry that people watch it.

Dole
March 27th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Really though, Firefly and Battlestar Galactica are the only 'sci-fi' shows I can stand watching. Everything else is just useless http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-techno.gif , spaceships exploding and lasers and black-holes and http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/rolleyes.gif
The only good series of the "space crusades" genre was Star Trek, back when William Shatner was on. The movies were pretty good too, especially Wrath of Khan.

Con
March 27th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Oof. PLEASE don't get me started on Stargate. Loved the movie, CANNOT STAND that show. It makes me angry that people watch it.
:( What do you have against Stargate? I really liked the later seasons.

Varmint260
March 27th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Stargate has some very good episodes, but parts of it are WAAAY beyond that which seems reasonable. When you watch that show, you HAVE to suspend your disbelief because that's the only way to watch it. Mind you, it's the same with a lot of sci-fi shows.

Me, I prefer Firefly to many shows because it has a sci-fi setting without all the incomprehensible jargon that litters other shows. When I need a good dose of that, it's back to Star Trek!

Agamemnon
March 28th, 2007, 05:10 AM
I'm the exact opposite.

Pooky
March 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Stargate was cool, but they tossed out a lot of good characters and added in the "Ori". The series should have ended with the defeat of the FIRST set of alien god wannabes, so now I can't fucking stand the show anymore.

Kornman00
March 29th, 2007, 05:43 AM
QFMFGDTMFs

Cortexian
August 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM
Revived due to awesome.

Bacon suggested that I watch the Firefly series before watching Serenity when I asked him about it. I'm glad as hell I did, I just spend around 12 hours watching all of Firefly and Serenity straight. Defiantly one of the best SciFi TV series' I've watched, right up there with Battlestar Galactica and Stargate.

BobtheGreatII
August 22nd, 2008, 03:42 AM
Strait up.

StankBacon
August 22nd, 2008, 06:48 AM
yes indeed, firefly and serenity are awesome.

and im in love with Summer Glau :3

Rob Oplawar
August 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm in love with Kaylee.
even, no, especially when she's covered in engine grease. :3

I've been rewatching Firefly episodes for the last couple of days. The only thing I really hate about it is the sci fi gun sounds they insist on using. Pew pew pew! Especially considering that they're supposed to be regular revolvers and such (the justification being that fancy laser guns just can't beat old reliable).

But I just love how much character I see in Firefly. Most dramas/sci-fis/action shows seem to be lacking that, imo, or just use the same old used up character profiles.

And I love the way they talk. They're so expressive.
And "Gorrammit" is better than "Frack", and cursing in Chinese is way better.

Ifafudafi
August 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Awesome, intelligent show for awesome intelligent people. :awesome:

Definitely one of my favorite shows. I own the box set of the TV series and the special edition of the movie. They work wonders for entertaining guests. However, seeing how smart and funny it was, I personally want to shoot whoever made the call to cancel it.
And then I'll send them to the special hell. >:X

Pope
August 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Lol I was just watching this show the other day off of the $20 Complete Series I bought last summer.

This is the only thing FOX really fucked up on. If this show started on Sci-Fi we'd probably be into the later seasons right now.

Though...there probably wouldn't have been any Dr. Horrible Sing Along Blog...(Not that it's anywhere near the :awesome: of Firefly)

ICEE
August 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Firefly had powerful characters, and I really liked how they combined sci fi and old west in some cases, and yet it actually made sense (mindfuck).

Rob Oplawar
August 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
And they really do try hard to be semi-realistic with the space physics. But they fail. That's the problem with space. In reality, space travel is exciting for about 20 minutes, and then it's weeks of boredom. Like when they pass through reaver territory on their way to minerva. there is just no justification for passing through that many craft packed that close together. it's a massive :rolleyes: whenever I see it.
but ok, so it's still got a ton of smj, but that doesn't make the characters any less awesome.

klange
August 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Other Bacon agrees, Firefly was awesome.

Bodzilla
August 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
http://theslackerz.com/comic/079.jpg

Warsaw
August 24th, 2008, 03:15 AM
And they really do try hard to be semi-realistic with the space physics. But they fail. That's the problem with space. In reality, space travel is exciting for about 20 minutes, and then it's weeks of boredom. Like when they pass through reaver territory on their way to minerva. there is just no justification for passing through that many craft packed that close together. it's a massive :rolleyes: whenever I see it.
but ok, so it's still got a ton of smj, but that doesn't make the characters any less awesome.

It was Miranda, not Minerva. And they were traveling for weeks, they just didn't show it. Mal did say to let him know when they were getting close.

The unrealistic part is reentering a planet's atmosphere. They never decelerate from interplanetary speeds, and somehow that ship remains aerodynamic enough to actually fly.

Though I do agree, Firefly was an awesome show, and did not really deserve cancellation. I would say it is on par with the new BSG. If you have followed all of BSG, you know that all of the characters are very well developed, and do not simply act for the plot. I think BSG is more refined than Firefly, not necessarily better.

Cortexian
August 24th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Yea, I completely agree with all this.

One other thing I didn't get,

1) Why the hell don't Reavers attack each other? All they stated the drug did was either KILL everyone, or make them hyper aggressive.

2) Reavers and space travel. They know how to fly and maintain these highly complex space craft how.

I DO love how they actually tried to make all the space scenes with no sound (instead of BSG/Star Wars style), everything is either silent or REALLY muffled.

Warsaw
August 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM
BSG is muffled, Star Wars is completely audible. Firefly is silent, except in parts where they are near an atmosphere, which makes sense.

Cortexian
August 25th, 2008, 03:42 AM
BSG isn't muffled enough though, the actual scenes in cockpits and stuff are good, but the same sound effects carry over to the third person/floating cameras in space battles.

The_Wraith
August 25th, 2008, 04:41 AM
The only Sci-Fi series that were ever good were: Stargate: SG-1, Farscape, The First 10 Episodes of Battlestar Galactica, and Firefly.

I'm sorry to bring this news to you all but the rest of BSG sucks along with Stargate Atlantis and Star Trek. There is no excuse for liking those series. Oh and I don't give a shit about hearing sound in space shows/movies. Silence isn't entertaining and if there was air they would have a sound so I'd like to know what it would sound like. Go fuck yourself science.

Warsaw
August 25th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Silence can be entertaining if executed right. Firefly does it right. A silent battle scene with nothing but some ambient music to portray the mood is awesome.

Also, bad Season 3 of BSG was bad. Season 4, I dunno. It's all "wut" and "WAT!?"

Masterz1337
August 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I love firefly.

Rob Oplawar
August 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM
^Sometimes a point can best be made concisely. :)

Also, lol, I always slip up and say Minerva instead of Miranda. You can blame Adam Foster for that.

Also also,
I could go into a long boring discussion about just how much space there is in space, but instead I'll just reiterate, that there is absolutely no fucking way there could be that density of spacecraft around Minerva, and even if there were, it's just absurd to think that Serenity would be approaching at that close to exactly the same velocity as all the other craft in orbit.

And when I say close to that velocity, consider that we're talking about interplanetary travel in a matter of weeks; it's an argument about how many kilometers they cover in a second.

But I can forgive them for that, because it can't think of any way to make realistic interplanetary travel work at all on tv.

Also also also, I love how they're just in a single solar system that was colonized after humanity fled the dying earth, instead of magically spread out all over the galaxy, and how there are no aliens.

Also also also also, I just watched my favorite episode, which is the one with the bounty hunter. How would you spell his name? Jubil Erly? I love that guy.
Am I a lion? No, I don't consider myself a lion. Although I might as well be. I do have a mighty roar.

Warsaw
August 25th, 2008, 11:39 PM
You said Minerva again! :maddowns:

And yeah, the way they travel in that show is not exactly clear. We'll just wave it off as cryptic use of handwavium. Travel to other planets within weeks is feasible, but you have to turn your ship 180 degrees at the half way point and fire whatever propulsion system you used to get going so you can stop. Otherwise, crash and burn...

Cortexian
August 26th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I don't know, I liked all the Stargate series (including Atlantis, but the show got WAY less awesome when they dropped Richard Dean Anderson) and all of BSG... BSG go a little bit repetitive after the first season, but season 4 was pretty sweet.

Rob Oplawar
August 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Lol, I can't stop. Minerva, Miranda, they're like 70% identical.
e: the words, I mean.
ee: although, come to think of it... evil rulers doing experiments causing the horrific mutilation of humans...[/spoiler]

Zeph
August 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM
*sigh*
Sci-Fi is a balance between science and fiction. Fiction is false.
The genre is just a setting to tell a story and tell a story Firefly does.
Such a shame that there are people who cant enjoy a story because certain things cant or wont happen in real life. My only complaint about the show is the DVD set I have wont play all the episodes at once. I'll have to go in and set the next one to play when the current one is over. Makes quite an annoyance for when I'm off on the other side of the room doing some work.

As for the guys asking about reavers and spacefare, the 'PAX' just made them super agressive. They didn't become stupid idiotic rampaging zombies.

Battlestar Galactica started off great, then the Peabodys got to their head and they fell through. If you listen to the podcasts, you'll hear them talk about how they weren't happy with the end results (excluding the episode 'Scar' of course). It's sad how they couldn't be content to keep on doing a good thing instead of going out and trying to do something else and hope it's good. The season 2 finale really tore a rift into whatever they were trying to do. Somehow, it seemed to have saved them by giving them a chance to start over. Plot-wise, season 3 failed hard and was even hypocritical in many aspects. I dont even understand how the whole Baltar trial went to court, given he had received a presidential pardon with the rest of humanity. The acting, editing, and production of season 3 was amazing though. Amazing camera shots (not talking about CGI), amazing directing with the scene, and actors really getting into fiction. Dont really want to talk about season 4 until its over. Soo much of BSG is based on the entire season that just seeing a few episodes out of context can screw up your opinion of the show. I will say they're hurting themselves by not killing off enough title characters regularly. I guess it's kinda hard though when they're your only advertisement line to the common viewer.

Cortexian
May 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Awesome show bump tribute.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5492/serenity101.jpg

I just watched all of Firefly/Serenity again in 720p, GOD THEY'RE SO DAMN GOOD.

That scene were the blast doors open and River is standing there with the above pictured weapons and a floor piled with dead Reavers is just so epic!

klange
May 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
*joins Freelancer in the bumpage with new XKCD series involving Firefly*
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_race_part_1.png
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_race_part_2.png
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_race_part_3.png

NuggetWarmer
May 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Serenity is an amazing movie and Nathan Fillion is an amazing actor.

Cortexian
May 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Serenity is an amazing movie and Nathan Fillion is an amazing actor. And everything about Firefly and Serenity is just so god damn AMAZING.
ftfy.

NuggetWarmer
September 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
bamp

found out today that my dad knows Adam Baldwin who plays Jayne Cobb. He did a short film with Adam as one of the characters in the flick.

I'm one step closer to meeting the cast. woot

Cortexian
September 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM
bamp

found out today that my dad knows Adam Baldwin who plays Jayne Cobb. He did a short film with Adam as one of the characters in the flick.

I'm one step closer to meeting the cast. woot

Get us signed copies of the movie of tv series!

ICEE
September 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM
The actors in this series are the reason i bought ODST.

Buck = Mal
Dutch = Jayne
Mickey = Wash

Sever
September 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
That's pretty cool. I loved him in Firefly and Serenity ("D'you know what the chain of command is? It's a chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here."), and still just as much in H3 as a marine ("Sure wish we had some grenades!" (Yes I know it's also a quote from Serenity, which makes it all the more awesome.)) and ODST as Cpl Taylor H. "Dutch" Miles (when killing Jackals: "Why don'tcha go back to planet jackass, ya jackass!).

Also, today on the Comm Chatter (Formerly the B-Log) an interview with Nathan Fillion (http://worthplaying.com/article/2009/9/25/interviews/68790/) (Mal Reynolds, Sgt. Reynolds, and GySgt. Eddie Buck in Firefly, H3, and ODST respectively) about his role as a voice actor in ODST.

Cojafoji
September 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM
they're both awesome.

Rob Oplawar
September 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
My old Taekwondo instructor is friends with Summer Glau (he does stunts for action movies). Perhaps I can get away with friend requesting her on Facebook... lmao.

Also, funny this thread would come back now, as I just started watching BSG last night, and I love it.
My friend explained to me: "You're not cheating on Firefly by liking Battlestar. Firefly just wants you to be happy!"

Siliconmaster
September 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
they're both awesome.

^This. They're both very different shows in style and storytelling, but are both amazing and fun to watch. Well, a lot of BSG might not be considered "fun" due to its seriousness, but its certainly fascinating. Firefly is definitely fun though. Has a great swashbuckling feel to it. Plus the funny. Lots of funny.

Fake edit 1: Woah, this is an old thread.

Fake edit 2:
:suicide:

Varmint260
September 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Alright... my turn... a friend of my uncle did a theatre show in Vancouver quite a few years ago with Ron Glass.

Also... yes, both shows rock. Seems to me I was playing Half-Life 2 (one of the episodes?) and heard Adam Baldwin's voice as well...?

Rob Oplawar
September 26th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Seems to me I was playing Half-Life 2 (one of the episodes?) and heard Adam Baldwin's voice as well...?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0853117/

"Unconfirmed"? Interesting...

Ifafudafi
September 27th, 2009, 01:10 AM
He does one of the resistance fighters when you fight off the massive waves of Antlions down in the caves, and another one somewhere during the driving portion.

Siliconmaster
September 27th, 2009, 01:12 AM
He does one of the resistance fighters when you fight off the massive waves of Antlions down in the caves, and another one somewhere during the driving portion.

OH. Of course! I can definitely place him now. Thanks for the tip!

ExAm
September 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0853117/

"Unconfirmed"? Interesting...
He voiced Sheckley (http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Adam_Baldwin) in Ep. 2.

legionaire45
September 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I just watched Serenity for the first time on Friday.

Very cool, although the Serenity itself is a boxy-ass boat :x

I suppose I'll have to netflix/Hulu/whatever-is-currently-cool Firefly now.

Cortexian
September 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Did you watch Firefly first? Cause you're supposed to. I remember when StankBacon told me I had to watch the series first and I was like "whatever", but I was able to hold off and wait to watch the TV series first... After watching them all, then realizing I had a FEATURE FUCKING FILM to watch in addition to the orgasmic TV series I had just watched I creamed my house. It was everywhere, oh god it was everywhere.

Rob Oplawar
September 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I contend that Serenity is the best-designed sci-fi spaceship on TV, possibly in all of sci-fi, and here's why:

Serenity is supposed to be a beloved but worn out, well designed yet minimalistic, sturdy but cheap spacecraft. It's comparable to the Millennium Falcon. Luke Skywalker's first reaction to the falcon was "what a piece of junk"-- but I guarantee that most people watching the movie didn't react that way, because it's really cool looking. Serenity, on the other hand, does produce that reaction in the casual viewer; when I first saw it, I thought it was the crappiest looking spaceship I had ever seen. That's why its design is so good- real people react to it in the same way the characters in that universe react to it.
Similarly, once you get to know Serenity, you notice the subtle things about it that make it so nice. The outward slant of the walls in the cargo bay, the homey common area, the lived-in area around the sick bay. You come to realize that it has crappy components, but the people who live there depend on and love the ship, and they work hard to keep her in the air- and it shows.

The point is, it looks like a piece of shit at first glance, but it has a unique and personal beauty underneath it; most people don't appreciate it, which makes it that much more special for those who do.

e: Holy fuck I'm a nerd.

legionaire45
September 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I contend that Serenity is the best-designed sci-fi spaceship on TV, possibly in all of sci-fi, and here's why:

Serenity is supposed to be a beloved but worn out, well designed yet minimalistic, sturdy but cheap spacecraft. It's comparable to the Millennium Falcon. Luke Skywalker's first reaction to the falcon was "what a piece of junk"-- but I guarantee that most people watching the movie didn't react that way, because it's really cool looking. Serenity, on the other hand, does produce that reaction in the casual viewer; when I first saw it, I thought it was the crappiest looking spaceship I had ever seen. That's why its design is so good- real people react to it in the same way the characters in that universe react to it.
Similarly, once you get to know Serenity, you notice the subtle things about it that make it so nice. The outward slant of the walls in the cargo bay, the homey common area, the lived-in area around the sick bay. You come to realize that it has crappy components, but the people who live there depend on and love the ship, and they work hard to keep her in the air- and it shows.

The point is, it looks like a piece of shit at first glance, but it has a unique and personal beauty underneath it; most people don't appreciate it, which makes it that much more special for those who do.

e: Holy fuck I'm a nerd.
I won't argue that the ship doesn't have character. I just didn't identify that much with the design. Maybe that will change if I watch more of the series. It just doesn't look all that graceful. Maybe that's the point. IDK.

I just kind of impulse-watched Serenity since it popped up on netflix and my room mates were being noisy, keeping me from going to sleep anyway.

Rob Oplawar
September 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Maybe that's the point. IDK.

That's exactly the point. If you keep watching, you'll love it eventually. :)

Cortexian
September 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
And then watch it again, and again, and then become so obsessed with the case that you start to stock them...

http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/me_in_serenity.jpg

Yea, I was there.

Corndogman
September 28th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I suppose I'll have to netflix/Hulu/whatever-is-currently-cool Firefly now.

All the episodes are on hulu so that's probably easiest (unless you want better quality in which case DVD would be better.) I probably wouldn't have gotten into it if they weren't on Hulu, and I'm glad I did.

About the ship, as you watch the show more, you really start to love the ship like its home just as the characters do. That's part of what makes the show great imo.

Bodzilla
September 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM
FUCK YOU HULU

(aussys cant watch it)
i should get this, i remember seeing the movie and was like THIS IS AWESOME, but i had no idea what firefly was, or that it even existed.

took me like another couple of years before i made the connection.
getting dis.

Ganon
September 29th, 2009, 07:00 AM
wait there was a tv series that went with serenity? FUCK

BobtheGreatII
September 29th, 2009, 07:53 AM
wait there was a tv series that went with serenity? FUCK

OMG! :maddowns:

http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B0000AQS0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254228757&sr=8-1

BUY NOW! :v:

Ganon
September 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
lol buying http://forums.macresource.com/smileys/pir_flag.gif

Sel
September 29th, 2009, 06:11 PM
lol buying http://forums.macresource.com/smileys/pir_flag.gif

lol

NuggetWarmer
September 29th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Fuckin' Hulu only has five episodes now.

DOWN WITH HULU

Cortexian
September 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Fuckin' Hulu only has five episodes now.

DOWN WITH HULU
Buy the DVD's.

Timo
September 29th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Got my hands on Firefly, just watching it now. Gutted I saw the movie before I saw the series, though :[

ICEE
September 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I'm finding that ODST is practically firefly the game. The characters reference the show a lot. I've heard mal buck mention "the verse" and (adam freaking baldwin )Jayne dutch mention his prized gun vera (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/lostncybr/Fire%20Fly/FireFly%20TV%20show/Jayne%20Cobb%20-%20Jayne/Jaynes%20TV%20Guns/Jaynes%20TV%20Vera/vera-large.jpg).

ExAm
September 30th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I'm finding that ODST is practically firefly the game. The characters reference the show a lot. I've heard mal buck mention "the verse" and (adam freaking baldwin )Jayne dutch mention his prized gun vera (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/lostncybr/Fire%20Fly/FireFly%20TV%20show/Jayne%20Cobb%20-%20Jayne/Jaynes%20TV%20Guns/Jaynes%20TV%20Vera/vera-large.jpg).^This. They even scanned their faces in for chrissakes. Now I'm just waiting for Wash Mickey to say he's a leaf on the wind, then I'll just have a fireflygasm all over the place. Just fucking everywhere.

Bodzilla
September 30th, 2009, 03:16 AM
why did they cancel this?

YET 2 AND A HALF MEN REMAINS.
there is something more sinister afoot here and i'll be dammed if i dont get to the bottom of it!

Cortexian
September 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Man, Nathan Fillion's "bam-said-the-ladying" everywhere... On the most recent episode of Castle he throws the line in as well!

Dwood
September 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Because of the awesomeness of the series, Fans are demanding they put the show back on air. Now when it goes back on air the new series will suck because it won't be the same characters OR writers.

Siliconmaster
September 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
They've been demanding the show be put back on since it got canceled. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

ICEE
September 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
the problem now, is if they put the show back on then we know who lives and who dies. the movie has framed the ending for us now, there will be no suspense.

NuggetWarmer
September 30th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Because of the awesomeness of the series, Fans are demanding they put the show back on air. Now when it goes back on air the new series will suck because it won't be the same characters OR writers.

Why wouldn't it be the same characters and writer? They all love the show and want to continue it.

ExAm
September 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
the problem now, is if they put the show back on then we know who lives and who dies. the movie has framed the ending for us now, there will be no suspense.
Wrong. They do the rest of the show as a continuation of events after the movie.

Cortexian
September 30th, 2009, 08:13 PM
It wouldn't be the same without the entire cast, it was a great show while it lasted but I think it had it's run. After all, TV series are bound to get fairly repetitive after so many seasons, take a look at Stargate...

Rentafence
September 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM
The show only ran for half a season Freelancer. What are you talking about?

Cortexian
September 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Have you watched Stargate? SciFi TV shows that go on for more than 3 or 4 seasons tend to start repeating certain trends. Granted Firefly was only half a season long and could be extended a bit more, but it wouldn't be any good if they brought it back only to run it into the ground. Would it?

Pooky
September 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Have you watched Stargate? SciFi TV shows that go on for more than 3 or 4 seasons tend to start repeating certain trends. Granted Firefly was only half a season long and could be extended a bit more, but it wouldn't be any good if they brought it back only to run it into the ground. Would it?

Stargate SG-1 was good for as long as the original SG-1 team was on the show. As soon as they started writing out and replacing characters I lost interest.

Cortexian
September 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I noticed repetitive bits way before they started getting rid of the original cast, though I've watched the entire series about 5 times now... :haw:

Siliconmaster
September 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Have you watched Stargate? SciFi TV shows that go on for more than 3 or 4 seasons tend to start repeating certain trends.

Not necessarily. BSG ended after 4 seasons because they didn't want to run out ideas, which supperts your theory. However, Trek had three seven-season shows which overall did decently staying interesting. Buffy went for a long while too. I'd put the average around 5-6 seasons of good stuff per series. If Firefly had continued, I think it would have stayed new and interesting for at least that long.

Pooky
September 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I noticed repetitive bits way before they started getting rid of the original cast, though I've watched the entire series about 5 times now... :haw:

The repetitive bits didn't matter to me, because the plot was cheesy as hell to start with. What I loved about the show was the actors themselves, the plot could have been about malevolent space cleavage and I wouldn't have cared.

Cortexian
September 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Meh, I catch a lot of things that I place as "repetitive". It's not just one-liners and plot lines, there's a whole swack of things that I class as repeatable. I got bored with Star Trek after watching all of Enterprise, Voyager, and the first two seasons of TNG.

@Pooky: True, with Firefly I'd love to just watch the cast get together and talk about random stuff with their Firefly persona's on... Actually that would probably get pretty amusing.

Siliconmaster
September 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Meh, I catch a lot of things that I place as "repetitive". It's not just one-liners and plot lines, there's a whole swack of things that I class as repeatable. I got bored with Star Trek after watching all of Enterprise, Voyager, and the first two seasons of TNG.

Not to get offtopic, but that really is a terrible combination. You watched the most worn out series, a decent series, and two of the most shaky seasons of a series I've ever seen.

Suggestion: Post season 3 of TNG and all of DS9. But your call. What sort of things do you consider repeatable? I'm curious.

Bodzilla
October 1st, 2009, 05:51 AM
first episode in

:O

me and the ambassador are gunna be the best of friends.

ExAm
October 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
first episode in

me and the ambassador are gunna be the best of friends.Just checking, you didn't watch The Train Job first, did you? :gonk:

Cojafoji
October 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM
first episode in

me and the ambassador are gunna be the best of friends.
she dies.

exam: fail. they only really call her the ambassador in the first episode.

Cortexian
October 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
she dies.

This.

Corndogman
October 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Meh, I catch a lot of things that I place as "repetitive". It's not just one-liners and plot lines, there's a whole swack of things that I class as repeatable.

Well there were like 10 different templates of plots in SG-1. It was either disease/computer trouble/spaceship/foothold/stuckonplanet etc. Not that any episodes were necessarily bad, its just that they had kind of similar plot lines. But I can't really blame them, there's only so much you can do within a shows universe, and all the episodes were good imo.

Siliconmaster
October 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Just checking, you didn't watch The Train Job first, did you? :gonk:

If he watched them in order on the dvds, then no. FYI, the pilot episode is called Serenity, but Fox originally aired The Train Job first, confusing everyone watching.

ExAm
October 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
she dies.

Fuck you, it's been months since i saw it >:C

Cortexian
October 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
Fuck you, it's been months since i saw it >:C
Time to watch it all again I think.

Bodzilla
October 9th, 2009, 09:50 PM
just watched the episode "out of gas"

:tear:

BobtheGreatII
October 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Man... just because, I'm going to have to watch all of Firefly again. : /

Rob Oplawar
October 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Yep, the very end of that episode sums up why I love Firefly (the ship): The salesman is trying to sell Mal on some spiffy thing, but he's ignoring him, gazing longingly over at an apparent junker sitting forgotten on the edge of the lot...
It makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Siliconmaster
October 10th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Yep, the very end of that episode sums up why I love Firefly (the ship): The salesman is trying to sell Mal on some spiffy thing, but he's ignoring him, gazing longingly over at an apparent junker sitting forgotten on the edge of the lot...
It makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Bodzilla
October 10th, 2009, 12:11 AM
"i can kill you with my brain"

i FINALLY get bacons AVY :D

Siliconmaster
October 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM

Ahahaha- yeah, that's a great line.

Another favorite:

Zoe: The hair is gone, sweetie.
River: But it will still be there... waiting...

FRain
October 10th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Jayne: That's it! We've waited long enough. Let's get this bird in the air.
Wash: No rutting way.
Simon: You really should sit down.
Kaylee: We can't just leave the captain and Zoe.
Jayne: They ain't comin', we can't walk in there and get 'em, so they're done. Let's fire it up.
Inara: What's going on?
Jayne: Strap in, we're taking off.
Wash: We're not!
Jayne: Captain would do the same if it were one of us.
Kaylee: Not in a million years!
Jayne: Shut it.
Wash: Listen to me.
Jayne: You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' charge here. Now we're finishing this deal and then maybe, maybe we'll come back for those morons who got themselves caught. You can't change that by getting all...[heavy breathing] Bendy.
Wash: All what?
Jayne: You got the-- The light from the console... To keep you-- Lift you up. [chuckles] Oh, they shine like...[attempts to grab light] Little angels. [falls asleep]
Wash: Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?
Simon: I told him to sit down.
Kaylee: You doped him.

Siliconmaster
October 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Jayne: That's it! We've waited long enough. Let's get this bird in the air.
Wash: No rutting way.
Simon: You really should sit down.
Kaylee: We can't just leave the captain and Zoe.
Jayne: They ain't comin', we can't walk in there and get 'em, so they're done. Let's fire it up.
Inara: What's going on?
Jayne: Strap in, we're taking off.
Wash: We're not!
Jayne: Captain would do the same if it were one of us.
Kaylee: Not in a million years!
Jayne: Shut it.
Wash: Listen to me.
Jayne: You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' charge here. Now we're finishing this deal and then maybe, maybe we'll come back for those morons who got themselves caught. You can't change that by getting all...[heavy breathing] Bendy.
Wash: All what?
Jayne: You got the-- The light from the console... To keep you-- Lift you up. [chuckles] Oh, they shine like...[attempts to grab light] Little angels. [falls asleep]
Wash: Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?
Simon: I told him to sit down.
Kaylee: You doped him.

:lmao:

ExAm
October 10th, 2009, 04:48 AM
My fucking favorite scene ever, ever right there.

Bodzilla
October 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM
just finished it.

I NEED MORE
D:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

BobtheGreatII
October 10th, 2009, 05:56 PM
just finished it.

I NEED MORE
D:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Welcome to the club. :saddowns:

Siliconmaster
October 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Did you watch Serenity as well? I assume you did, but still. And yeah, welcome to the club. : (

StankBacon
October 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM

:)

i love summer :-3

Corndogman
October 10th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Same here. I got all excited because I thought I saw her in a preview for SGU, then realized it wasn't her. I just saw the episode of The Big Bang Theory she was on :)

Bodzilla
October 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM
i watched serenity first D:

Rob Oplawar
October 10th, 2009, 07:08 PM
She's gonna be on Dollhouse soon... :-3

StankBacon
October 10th, 2009, 07:11 PM

lol so did i when it first came out and i borrowed it from my cousin, but i watched firefly a few years after and i forgot it so it was ok.

Siliconmaster
October 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Watch it again. ^_^ You'll get more out of this time around, I promise.

ICEE
October 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I didn't like serenity that much. Not that it wasn't a great movie, but the fact that it represented a framing device to the firefly story sort of made me sad. It meant that there could never be a continuation of the series, because we already know whats going to happen in the end.

Cortexian
October 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I didn't like serenity that much. Not that it wasn't a great movie, but the fact that it represented a framing device to the firefly story sort of made me sad. It meant that there could never be a continuation of the series, because we already know whats going to happen in the end.
Prequels.

Also, I think we already discussed this a few pages back...

Siliconmaster
October 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'd rather they tie it up like they did than hope eternally for more sequels that might never happen.

NuggetWarmer
October 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Either you or somebody else already posted this.

New characters aren't that hard to make. It would really be simple to continue the story from where the movie left off.

Bodzilla
April 17th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Sigh, why wont they bring these guys back.

:(

=sw=warlord
April 17th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Sigh, why wont they bring these guys back.

:(

Because if they do they'll just fuck it up like nearly every other old series that's been given "renewed interest".

Warsaw
April 17th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I beg to differ. The original BSG was crap. I mean, the end of the new one was all kinds of fucked up but most of it was great.

Cortexian
April 18th, 2011, 03:01 AM
And by most of it you mean season one and two? Third season just got all space-drama with some action thrown in as an after thought.

Warsaw
April 18th, 2011, 03:09 AM
One, Two, and first half of Three. That's more than most series can say they were good for and it's certainly better than Galactica 1979 and Galactica 1980, two separate but related entities which were both cancelled....because of too much religious overtone on both counts. Funny, the same also fucked up the newest one. Didn't learn much in 30 years, did they?

I demand that they bring back Babylon 5. The Crusade was going to be awesome and then TNT pussied out.

Cortexian
April 18th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Stargate SG-1 was good until about season 6...

Warsaw
April 18th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I could never get into Stargate. It just felt too corny and disconnected. I mean, I didn't dislike it, but it didn't capture my interest enough to follow it.

Cortexian
April 18th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Richard Dean Anderson was the core of the Stargate experience, if you didn't like his humor/character in SG-1 then you probably wouldn't like the series as a whole. That's why it got gay when they moved him out of the show.

Warsaw
April 18th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Oh no, the Colonel was awesome. But even then I couldn't follow it. I guess the show just doesn't resonate with me at all.