PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Installation Error

RobertGraham
February 15th, 2009, 09:19 AM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6769/halo2installationerrortq7.th.png (http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=halo2installationerrortq7.png)

Does anyone know how to fix this?

armoman92
February 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
i searched Google (http://www.modacity.net/forums/google.com) for this problem and found a lot of stuff. Sadly they were all pretty useless.

I have no idea but somebody will know.

RobertGraham
February 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Aww damn, I just realized on the package it says 2GHz Minimum and I have 1.6GHz :(

Would I also need to upgrade to DirectX 10?

armoman92
February 15th, 2009, 12:10 PM
well, it says 2GHz. You said you have 1.6GHz, but is it DUAL-CORE? If it is dual-core, you are fine. If it isn't, ehhhh... you have to have enough RAM and a good video card to play.
Use system requirments lab (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest) to see what you have on your PC and to get an idea if you can run H2V.

As for DX10, no (i may be wrong but im like 95% im right). You have vista, so what do you have to worry about anyways?

ALSO!!!!
Try this. MAKE SURE UAC is TURNED OFF!!! It fucked with my install a lot! HERE is how to turn it off. (do method #4 (http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm)) (http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm)

RobertGraham
February 15th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Unfortunate, no its not dual core, but I will try the UAC

Mr Buckshot
February 15th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Aww damn, I just realized on the package it says 2GHz Minimum and I have 1.6GHz :(

Would I also need to upgrade to DirectX 10?

what TYPE of CPU? Is it Core Duo, Pentium, etc? That's the problem with these system req listings - they can be confusing for owners of newer processors.

If it's Core Duo or Core 2 Duo or higher, well Ghz ratios have a very different meaning these days. My 2.1Ghz Core 2 Duo processor can own any 3.0Ghz Pentium 4 from the past because the EFFICIENCY is much better. A 1.86Ghz desktop Core 2 Duo E6320 totally trashes any Pentium Dual core from the past, even those 3.8Ghz ones.

edit: oh wait you said it isn't dual core. In that case, is it Pentium M? Pentium M processors can probably cut it. Or is it AMD? If so don't look at the Ghz, look at the Athlon XXXX+, i.e. if it's 3200+ then the AMD is equivalent to 3.2Ghz.

RobertGraham
February 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Mine is an Intel Celeron 420@1.60GHz

Mr Buckshot
February 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Oh damn, Celeron? Then forget about running the game. Sorry, but I'm serious, H2V won't run. On Celerons, Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds, the Ghz numbers are still interpreted in the old-fashioned way, 2.00Ghz is the bare minimum you need but it's still inadvisable for gaming.

As for DX10, no (i may be wrong but im like 95% im right). You have vista, so what do you have to worry about anyways?

NO. Having Vista only gets you the DirectX10 DRIVER. The driver is pretty much useless if you don't have a corresponding video card. You have to look at the make and model of your video card to find out what DirectX lvel you're at. For example, if you have a Nvidia Geforce 7800, it is a DirectX9 card and always will be, and downloading the DirectX10 driver does NOT make it a DirectX10 card. It's confusing, I know, I've met some users who have Radeon 9250s which are DirectX8.1 video cards but those users think they have DirectX10 cards just because they have the driver.

But since you only have a Celeron processor, I'm guessing you probably have some integrated Intel video card that isn't a smart choice for modern video games. Games produced before 2004 will run ok on Intel cards but anything newer will either run poorly or won't run at all.

And yeah, if your graphics card is made before late 2006 or is an Intel card, there's little point in downloading the DirectX10 driver because DirectX10 didn't even exist then and downloading it will not make your computer any better, it just means a few MB of hard drive space taken up.

To get Halo 2 running (or basically any modern video game), I'd advise a full-on system upgrade, otherwise just buy a used Xbox :P

RobertGraham
February 17th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Eh, im just going to get a new PC eventually because this one sucks ass and I got it at the Navy Exchange, which is supposed to have good stuff, BUT THEY RIPPED ME OFF, THE F**KING GOVERNMENT RIPPED ME OFF!!! Thanks for the help :)

armoman92
February 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Oh damn, Celeron? Then forget about running the game. Sorry, but I'm serious, H2V won't run. On Celerons, Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds, the Ghz numbers are still interpreted in the old-fashioned way, 2.00Ghz is the bare minimum you need but it's still inadvisable for gaming.

NO. Having Vista only gets you the DirectX10 DRIVER. The driver is pretty much useless if you don't have a corresponding video card. You have to look at the make and model of your video card to find out what DirectX lvel you're at. For example, if you have a Nvidia Geforce 7800, it is a DirectX9 card and always will be, and downloading the DirectX10 driver does NOT make it a DirectX10 card. It's confusing, I know, I've met some users who have Radeon 9250s which are DirectX8.1 video cards but those users think they have DirectX10 cards just because they have the driver.

But since you only have a Celeron processor, I'm guessing you probably have some integrated Intel video card that isn't a smart choice for modern video games. Games produced before 2004 will run ok on Intel cards but anything newer will either run poorly or won't run at all.

And yeah, if your graphics card is made before late 2006 or is an Intel card, there's little point in downloading the DirectX10 driver because DirectX10 didn't even exist then and downloading it will not make your computer any better, it just means a few MB of hard drive space taken up.

To get Halo 2 running (or basically any modern video game), I'd advise a full-on system upgrade, otherwise just buy a used Xbox :P

i know its only the driver, H2V is DX9, i just told him... fuk i dont really care that much anymore

Mr Buckshot
February 18th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Chill out armoman92, I wasn't trying to flame you, I was just correcting a statement that I viewed to be inaccurate.