PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Class of '09

flibitijibibo
February 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM
This is around the time most of us begin to get thems acceptance letters, so I was wondering if anybody has gotten such letters or has even decided on a school (you kids and your early decision applications). Big edit for old thread: Got into my top school with a scholarship (FSU), so I'm not even auditioning for my other schools anymore. Woo.

EDIT- Plas had a good idea of mentioning what our intended major is as well. So, here's mine:

The music industry is a multi-billion dollar economic engine for the economies of the world. It is our belief that this industry would benefit enormously from the influx of skilled, educated musicians.

The Commercial Music program at Florida State University is designed to prepare students for a career in the music industry. The curriculum includes music theory, ear training, music history, ensembles, and private instruction on the student's instrument. To this is added courses in MIDI, audio recording and production, improvisation, jazz theory and arranging. In addition to the music curriculum, students will complete 18 hours of courses in the college of business, giving them a business minor.EDIT 2: Got accepted into Slippery Rock University, one of my backup schools.

RobertGraham
February 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
So far, all I have gotten is a packet for the Marines. Pffft, who needs education for that :rolleyes:

klange
February 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
I'm 5/5 so far, but my #1 pick (MIT) won't be sending anything out until mid-March.
So far:
- Ohio State University (if I don't go to MIT, I'll probably go to OSU)
- Ohio Northern (my backup school, no need for that anymore, though)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- University of Dayton (which is a hell-no, I was pressured into applying...)
- Rochester Institute of Technology

Still waiting on:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (if I get into MIT, I'm going to MIT, even if it runs me a quarter-mil in debt)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Case Western Reserve
- Northeastern University

e: Major is Computer Science

OmegaDragon
February 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
I got accepted into UNF, got almost $25,000 in scholarships, and I am getting 75%-100% of my tuition costs covered by another scholarship :D

I almost got into FSU, but my English SAT score was too low :(
I didn't even try applying for UF. Their acceptance criteria has gotten too high, and they only accepted like 1,000 out of the 60,000 applications. Though it would have been the university of choice since I live a couple blocks away from the main buildings, I still wouldn't have gotten accepted.

Despite that, the campus at UNF is big and friendly, and it seems like I am going to be enjoying my stay.

Mr Buckshot
February 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Stanford University (already said yes to it)

I got into Berkeley, UCLA, and Cornell too. Got a "deferral" for Yale. Didn't apply to MIT because they only accept 100 internationals a year...and on average only 9 come from Canada every year.

My safety school was the University of Toronto, St Georges campus for engineering science, basically I would fall back to there if I didn't get into any place down south.

Now all I have to do is pass my IB exams...I'm also taking AP Physics C, AP English Lang (b/c i'm in English SL, doesn't get credit) and possibly AP Microecons (my school hosts a lot of AP exams although it doesn't have any AP courses besides Calculus AB). Last year I completed IB Math HL, AP Calc BC, and AP Statistics early, that helped a lot.

Advice to classes of 2010: Do all the SAT and crap NOW, don't wait till next year. I had to take the SAT reasoning test twice :/

PlasbianX
February 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
I got accepted into Ashland University (in Ohio) in the Bachelor of Science's Degree for Computer Art and Graphics Programming.

Here's basically what it is:

Computer Art and Graphics Programming is a combined major with the Mathematics/Computer Science Department designed to educate technologically literate artists. These graduates can be in high demand, designing company websites as well as doing the necessary programming to adapt and maintain them. Students in this program take advantage of the opportunities the rapid expansion of technology has created for visual artists. They work on their portfolios in our state-of-the-art lab of Macintosh G-5 computers (new in 2004) with such programs as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, QuarkXpress, and Macromedia Flash, Dreamweaver, and Director.

The program requires 29 semester hours of credit in Mathematics/Computer Science as well as 37 hours in Art. Students take introductory courses their first two years: the Art Foundations Sequence, which includes introductory design and drawing classes as well as two overview art history classes, and the prerequisite Mathematics/Computer Science coursework. Upper level students take advanced classes in computer programming as well as computer art classes. These courses are taught in our up-to-date computer art studio, which features such software as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, and Director, and QuarkXpress.

Managed to pull off $9,000 a year to go there in grants on my grades and ACT scores, plus an addition $2,500 for my artwork.

Timo
February 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
Currently at Canterbury University, starting on Monday for a Bachelor of Engineering :-)

OmegaDragon
February 21st, 2009, 07:48 PM
Forgot to add my major:

Engineering

Trying to choose between the electric and computing program.

Syuusuke
February 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Oxford, who's with me?

PlasbianX
February 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Oxford, who's with me?

What happened to you coming to Ashland with me D:<

Warsaw
February 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I haven't applied anywhere. I'm going to be attending the community college to get the prerequisites that all the stuck up universities are going to make me take anyways, and then transfer over later. Saving money is good.

The colleges I am considering are:
-UVA
-James Madison University
-Rose-Hulman

With a GPA of 3.952 (with difficult classes) and an SAT of 2086, I'm pretty sure I won't have much trouble going where I want to. I was considering Full Sail, and then I realized that getting a degree in some task related to the game industry is rather pointless, since the only thing the industry is interested in is whether or not you can do the job and do it well. They want experience/examples, not certificates. So, I intend to get a degree in some engineering field, land a job in the defense industry (which is immune to the economy for the most part), and begin teaching myself some game-related skill off to the side on my own time.

Rook
February 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm in my senior year too, if I do go to college it'll be 1-2 years after grad.

Mr Buckshot
February 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM
Oh yeah my major will be engineering, alternate choice is general science.

Oxford, who's with me?

Holy smokes, congrats. I was considering applying to the UK universities too, but getting in ain't easy and more than that, it's pretty expensive to go there too (and flights to there and back will take a long time since I live on the west side of North America).

Can't wait for this summer...bye bye BC, sup CA.

MetKiller Joe
February 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM
I've gotten accepted at R.I.T. and UMass Lowell. RIT will be giving financial packages out mid-March. So, hopefully, I'll get most of my bases covered.

Syuusuke
February 21st, 2009, 11:32 PM
Oh yeah my major will be engineering, alternate choice is general science.

Holy smokes, congrats. I was considering applying to the UK universities too, but getting in ain't easy and more than that, it's pretty expensive to go there too (and flights to there and back will take a long time since I live on the west side of North America).

Can't wait for this summer...bye bye BC, sup CA.

I was kinda dreaming...lucidly...

Anton
February 21st, 2009, 11:32 PM
I'll be attending a local university in Computer Science for the first year. From there I plan to transfer to University of Tennessee, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, or somewhere distant from here.

Atty
February 22nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
Still sleeping through (read: not even doing my work and still passing) my second semester of community college, as soon as the family stuff calms down I'm going to transfer out to a real school and finish my masters.

Bodzilla
February 22nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Music comes from the soul, not from the class room :/

Going into my second year of tafe for my apprenticeship.

SiegHeil
February 22nd, 2009, 12:47 AM
I had to pull some ropes, but I recently got an apprenticeship under Kim Jong-il to teach me the mechanics of dictatorship. You wouldn't believe the backhanded dirty shit we will pull over on you filthy Americans.

Mr Buckshot
February 22nd, 2009, 12:48 AM
^^ ignore that bot ^^, mods delete his post and ban it.

I had to pull some ropes, but I recently got an apprenticeship under Kim Jong-il to teach me the mechanics of dictatorship. You wouldn't believe the backhanded dirty shit we will pull over on you filthy Americans.

sup advertising bot

SiegHeil
February 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
I'm not a bot you twat. What the Christ would I be advertising? Think before you post.

Mr Buckshot
February 22nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
I'm not a bot you twat. What the Christ would I be advertising? Think before you post.

your post is off topic, and anyway South Korea owns you.

Get out. You seem to be advertising NK communism. And seeing as that was your FIRST POST...

Anyway, good luck to the class of 09. Whoever gets into MIT/Harvard/etc, my heartiest congrats.

Limited
February 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Currently at University studying computers. BSc course (Bachelor of Science :)) 9 weeks time I will be in my last year :O

Surprisinglya few people I know got accepted to Oxford and Cambridge this year, one friend actually got letters from both O_O, when I knew him I thought he was a bit smart but not that gifted.

I only applied for one course at one University. Got accepted :D

Yes I put all my eggs in one basket :D

Mr Buckshot
February 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
I spent a couple hundred dollars applying to so many different universities (mostly American) :(

I chose Stanford because it's one of the best and its location readily welcomes engineers (particularly software). Also, it's in the same time zone as my home, and flying home only takes 2 hours (from San Francisco Intl Airport to Vancouver Intl Airport). For international students, private universities can actually be a bit cheaper than public universities, because privates are far more likely to offer scholarships.

Syuusuke
February 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Did anyone NOT get accepted to RIT? It seems a lot of people have...

cheezdue
February 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I'm barely getting into my senior year of high school. T.T
Thought, I'm not so sure on what do after that.

RobertGraham
February 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Im joining the Marines. Im going to get a PHD in KICK YOUR ASS [lmfao]

I am totally going to a Dr. Tran school

Mr Buckshot
February 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM

I didn't even apply. Did you apply to Cornell btw?

I'm looking at jobs in either software engineering or automotive engineering. The latter is messed up right now...but by 2013 things could be quite different.

With a GPA of 3.952 (with difficult classes) and an SAT of 2086.

Nice GPA, though how can the final digit for SAT scores be anything other than 0? Anyway for the SAT-1, I got 2110 on my first attempt (the critical reading section totally got me, my 800 in the math part didn't help) and 2240 on second attempt (660 reading, 800 math, 780 writing even with 9/12 on the stupid essay). SAT-2 subject tests were better than I thought because I rushed through studying back in October and took THREE on the same day (lame I know)...800 in Math level 2, 740 in Chem, 770 in Physics.

Is the defense industry really recession proof? To me the only truly recession proof field is medicine, especially in Canada. I don't take biology anymore in school (quit IB Biology after first year) but I plan to do it as a side elective in university just to have more options.

paladin
February 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Im already in college U of Washington, but soon Digipen

MetKiller Joe
February 22nd, 2009, 08:44 PM

Other than myself, I don't see any mention of it in this thread.

Syuusuke
February 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Well, I meant that I know a lot of people (outside) have applied and have gotten accepted.

I know Reaper applied and someone else did too.

Cornell?! PFFT! University of Edinsburgh ftw.yes

klange
February 22nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
Other than myself, I don't see any mention of it in this thread.

- Rochester Institute of Technology

ExAm
February 23rd, 2009, 01:21 AM
I haven't applied anywhere. I'm going to be attending the community college to get the prerequisites that all the stuck up universities are going to make me take anyways, and then transfer over later. Saving money is good.

The colleges I am considering are:
-UVA
-James Madison University
-Rose-Hulman

With a GPA of 3.952 (with difficult classes) and an SAT of 2086, I'm pretty sure I won't have much trouble going where I want to. I was considering Full Sail, and then I realized that getting a degree in some task related to the game industry is rather pointless, since the only thing the industry is interested in is whether or not you can do the job and do it well. They want experience/examples, not certificates. So, I intend to get a degree in some engineering field, land a job in the defense industry (which is immune to the economy for the most part), and begin teaching myself some game-related skill off to the side on my own time.^This. Except the only college i'm considering is University of California, Santa Cruz. It's close to where I live. I'm lazy like that.

El Lobo
February 26th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Sup

Mr Buckshot
February 26th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by AdmiralBacon http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/modacity/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?p=365773#post365773)

Hey 2 of my friends got accepted there too. I didn't apply though, I'm more interested in California. My plan for now is to finish 4 years undergrad in silicon valley (hopefully), no plans for graduate studies yet (it's a long time away) but I am interested in going to Ontario for that.

Is there anyone else here at Stanford or applying/accepted?

Random
February 26th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Anyone applying to Johns Hopkins, I think it would be interesting to meet someone from here in real life. Without me putting in any effort. :x

Reaper Man
February 26th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Accepted into SCAD and RIT. Waiting to hear back from Tisch (NYU) and Pratt.

Really hope I get into NYU;

To study photography, what else? :awesome:

klange
February 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Hey, guys, let's all go to RIT just to get together and do shit!

Syuusuke
February 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
LAN parties everyday!

Arteen
February 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Anyone applying to Johns Hopkins, I think it would be interesting to meet someone from here in real life. Without me putting in any effort. :x
What, since when did you go JHU? I thought only cool people like me went here. :cool:

Bad Waffle
February 26th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I dont have the money or the racial requirements to get scholarships based on race, and all the other things wouldnt give me enough either. I'm going to my community college for a year and getting all my gen ed out of the way, then transferring to UAT, a great little college in arizona.

legionaire45
March 20th, 2009, 12:15 AM
BumpRape

Got into RIT (Comp Sci) so far. Going with a current school friend too :iia:

Still waiting on Digipen + UC Merced xD.

Random
March 20th, 2009, 03:32 AM
What, since when did you go JHU? I thought only cool people like me went here. :cool:

Who says I'm not a cool person >:U

And I am a freshman, you are currently a sophmore I think?

Reaper Man
March 20th, 2009, 05:56 AM
BumpRape

Got into RIT (Comp Sci) so far. Going with a current school friend too :iia:

Still waiting on Digipen + UC Merced xD.
Heh, there's so many people here, including me, who got into RIT (though I applied for photojournalism). Still waiting on Tisch and Pratt, goddamn, I gotta know if I got in, it's killing me :saddowns:

klange
March 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
So... has any one made a near-final decision?
I didn't make it into MIT (they'll regret it in a year), so I'll probably go to Illinois.

Arteen
March 20th, 2009, 11:56 PM
And I am a freshman, you are currently a sophmore I think?
Junior. :cool:

Reaper Man
March 22nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
So... has any one made a near-final decision?
I didn't make it into MIT (they'll regret it in a year), so I'll probably go to Illinois.
Uh, yeah, I'm sure one of the top institutes of technology in the world will regret admitting you, y'know, since they've got lots of extremely intelligent people there already. :v:

Seriously though, that sucks man.

Warsaw
March 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
I dont have the money or the racial requirements to get scholarships based on race, and all the other things wouldnt give me enough either. I'm going to my community college for a year and getting all my gen ed out of the way, then transferring to UAT, a great little college in arizona.

Duder, that's one of the things I'm planning on doing...it's either UAT, Rose-Hulman, or Full Sail (lol longshot).

o/

klange
May 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Le Bumpé

So the year's over, right?

Report on your graduation status. Honors, etc.

I graduated top 5% of my class, which was actually totally unexpected as I was #34 / 600+ (where the "top 5%" is 30): the numbers were bumped to 32 and I also moved up.

Summa cum laude, etc., which isn't exactly the most exclusive honor at my school (More people got summa than magna)

Also got $1000 from my school's PTA.

@Reaper: Obviously I was joking, but I'll definitely be filling out a transfer application next year.

mech
May 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Graduated with an Associates in applied sciences and Occupational Studies.

Certified to do CAD work , though I'm not interested in doing it anymore so it was a waste of time.

Recieved a scholarship covering two years of edumacation, and accepted into University of Michigan school of Engineering.

This has been a good year.

Heathen
May 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
class-o-ten

Rook
May 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
High school graduation is Saturday!

MetKiller Joe
May 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Who's goingto RIT (I know a bunch of people were thinking of it)? I'm going there as a Comp Sci major, and it would be awesome to meet some people.

@Bacon: Pardon me (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showpost.php?p=366370&postcount=32), I'm stupid sometimes and don't read the entire thread.

Mr Buckshot
May 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Officially graduated on March 22, got a diploma and...that's about it.

flibitijibibo
May 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Graduated last night, nothing on my record except music honors society and an FSU scholarship.

Sel
May 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
School ends later in june for me :\

klange
May 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
My last day is Friday, my graduation commencement is next Sunday, but I'll be coming back the following Thursday / Friday to install Linux on the computers in our Media Center (as the Computer Club President)

OmegaDragon
May 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Graduation is June 6. taking the last of my finals tomorrow, then heading out to UNF for orientation. So far, i basically get to go to a university for free because of all the scholarships, and all i need to pay is a portion of my miscellaneous costs (assuming that what was calculated is similar to what i will be paying for misc items). Gotta love being some kind of minority with knowledge :iamafag:

thehoodedsmack
May 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Congrats to all of you. But on a personal note...

University's a waste! You're dooming yourselves! You're all slaves to the man!
[/conflict theory]

cheezdue
May 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Damn you guys! :cheeseargh:
But in all honestly congrats. :)
I still have one more year to go and I'll be done!

Heathen
May 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM
senior this year?
I'm skipping the 11th grade entirely :/

Con
May 27th, 2009, 10:45 PM
class-o-ten
rolls off the tongue doesn't it. /pity for class '00

ultama121
May 27th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Lol. I'm going too--

*realizes I'm going into High School*

Chaminade High School. :smith:

Reaper Man
May 28th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Graduated a month ago, had exams, had prom, had insane after-party. Going to SCAD Savannah this fall with a scholarship that covers about half my tuition :iamafag:

Mr Buckshot
May 28th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Is there anyone else here going into/planning to attend a university in the Bay Area?

ExAm
May 28th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Is there anyone else here going into/planning to attend a university in the Bay Area?
Which bay area? There are several in the US alone, though i assume you're referring to Canada.

Mr Buckshot
May 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Which bay area? There are several in the US alone, though i assume you're referring to Canada.

Silicon Valley general area, California, USA

(going to Stanford)

cheezdue
May 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Today at my school was that turn-over or whatever you call it when juniors become seniors. Seems like now I'm officially a senior. :party:

Warsaw
May 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
My graduation is Thursday, 11 June 2009. I will be decked out in so many medals I will be practically bullet proof, and I'll have chords for French Honour Society, Math Honour Society, and National Honour Society. :snafubar:

Heathen
May 28th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Ya, passed with enough credits to be a sr.
3 years in high school fuck yar!

Warsaw
May 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Ja, I could've graduated last year, but you know, IB...gotta finish it.

klange
May 29th, 2009, 01:37 PM
That's it. I'm done.

@Heathen: Our school avoids such possibilities by requiring four years of English, only counting core "English n" classes for English credit, and not allowing anything but PE/Health to be taken in the summer for full credit. End result? You're stuck there for four years, no way out of it. They also don't do 'classes' by credits (except in the opposite direction: if you don't have enough, you don't move forward, but if you have too many, you don't get to skip anything).

Rook
May 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
My school has 4 years of English too, and for incoming freshmen 4 years of math. Along with 3 years of history/economics and 2 of a foreign language.

Higuy
May 29th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Graduated a month ago, had exams, had prom, had insane after-party. Going to SCAD Savannah this fall with a scholarship that covers about half my tuition :iamafag:
In one of my classes we had to do a project on colleges I actually did mine on SCAD and hope on going there sometime in the future, good luck.. =D