PDA

View Full Version : H2V on Windows 7 = Better?

AAA
March 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I've been contemplating over this subject for a good few weeks now and it's finally bugged me enough to get on my lazy ass to come over to the forums and type it up for some experienced opinions.

I've found out a long time ago that Windows 7 is much better when it comes to the first release of Vista all around, they say it's almost like an XP and Vista Hybrid, but my question is, since these games supported by Vista only have such high requirements, such as in this question, Halo 2. Does anyone know if this game's performance will be improved at all due to the fact that it's on Windows 7 instead of Vista?

InnerGoat
March 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Maybe. I have H2V on W7 and the framerate is hilariously high, but the last time I had vista was with a much older 7950GT so I can't compare them. The mouse stuttering issues that Vista had are still there in W7 though. Totally different hardware too :(

ThePlague
March 8th, 2009, 11:37 PM
All i've heard about it is that since Windows 7 doesn't munch RAM as much as Vista does, it gets better framerate and runs smoother. I may try it one day, but first I need a bigger hard drive to test.

Vicky
March 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM
All posts/reports etc. i've read about this tell H2V runs way better on Win7. Win7 is still a little buggy but no biggies, its very usable in its current beta-state.

Sel
March 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
All i've heard about it is that since Windows 7 doesn't munch RAM as much as Vista does, it gets better framerate and runs smoother. I may try it one day, but first I need a bigger hard drive to test.

W7 Uses about 100MB less ram than Vista. But hey, to everyone who was bitching about how their 512MB-1GB of ram was having trouble with vista this is great news :haw:

{XF}Lowsy
March 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I couldn't even get past the re-license issue. Maybe because I used mine up with our dedicated servers. But the tech support guys tried getting a new key for me and simply failed. They tried getting a key for Win7 = failed. Then again a new one for Vista = failed.

That's just about the max amount of effort I wanted to put in to it.. Good luck with you if you give it a try...

Phopojijo
March 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Maybe. I have H2V on W7 and the framerate is hilariously high, but the last time I had vista was with a much older 7950GT so I can't compare them. The mouse stuttering issues that Vista had are still there in W7 though. Totally different hardware too :(Force vsync on the driver level... Gamespeed is tied to the framerate... just like Halo PC (hence the 30FPS mode). High framerates that are NOT constant gets the game confused about "what is a second"... which causes some stuttering problems.

It's caused because Bungie's engine locks at 25 or 29.97 (Pal vs NTSC)... in the PC that is not the case... however the assumptions that console developers use about framerate locking are still present in the PC ports... (ie: gamespeed).

InnerGoat
March 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
What. Halo pc has no such issues with the mouse.

Phopojijo
March 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM
What. Halo pc has no such issues with the mouse.
Ohhh yes it did for some systems... especially if you turn vSync off... if that framerate jumps up and down too quickly, things start warping around even. Looks like lag -- but in Single Player. That's why the 30FPS option was in the settings.

Seriously, go into your drivers and force vSync on Halo2Vista... assuming you can get more than 60FPS in games. See if that fixes it.

InnerGoat
March 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I'll give vsync a try tomorrow. No clue what the rest of you post was though sorry pal :giggle:

Phopojijo
March 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Basically if you have a high framerate that's not constant... the game gets confused because the engine's optimized for consoles... and consoles lock their framerates to 25/29.97FPS so that it's nice and stable.

InnerGoat
March 10th, 2009, 01:43 PM
:jokeover:

Also vsync doesn't work for my setup on W7. Welp.

RobertGraham
March 11th, 2009, 05:31 AM
It should work better, knowing the fact that Windows 7 doesn't use as much RAM as Vista