PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] How do i record machinima?

RecycleBin
March 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Can't i just plug a USB in my Xbox and move the video to the USB?
Or do i need something special?

teh lag
March 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
As far as I know, you will need some sort of a capture card or other means of letting your computer record video input from your 360/TV. As saved films (which I assume you are referring to in your post) are just recorded game data and not actual video files, you cannot directly transfer them to your PC.

Google could really help you here for the specifics.

RecycleBin
March 10th, 2009, 02:57 PM
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

JEEZ! Those prices are insane!

Well thanks anyway.

Advancebo
March 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM
If you want Halo 3 videos, I think Bungie added a feature on Bungie.net. For if you are a Bungie Pro subscriber, you can render out films and film clips into an mpeg or avi or something.

t3h m00kz
March 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I heard about that too but I've never really seen anything come out of it.

But yeah you need a capture card with the Red Yellow and White inputs. Dazzle Platinum is what I have, stuff comes out okay. The only problem is you need to use the shit ass Pinnacle Studio it comes with, you can't capture with WMM or anything else.

paladin
March 11th, 2009, 12:51 AM
you need a capture card

Darqeness
March 11th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Bungie still hasn't implemented the render to video feature. That's why you haven't seen much of it.

RobertGraham
March 11th, 2009, 05:32 AM
As saved films (which I assume you are referring to in your post) are just recorded game data and not actual video files, you cannot directly transfer them to your PC.
I wish :(

RecycleBin
March 11th, 2009, 12:12 PM
They should add that option to save it as an mpeg or something

Con
March 11th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I wish :(
Why? I imagine it would be pretty close to what's sent over the net in matchmaking games. There wouldn't be anything useful that you could rip.

They should add that option to save it as an mpeg or something
The problem is that Bungie would have to have a whole new farm just for rendering to mpeg, and then sending to people. Expensive much?

SilentChaos
March 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
the video rendering option is not available yet, bungie said that we will be seeing that option sometime this spring.

sdavis117
March 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I believe Bungie is actually working on a Render-to-video service. I hear them mention it all the time in the podcast.

p0lar_bear
March 17th, 2009, 03:11 AM
DigitalPh33r's Guide to Making Halo 3 Machinima (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B220EB42C400F91D)

Covers filming techniques, what equipment to use, how to get music without the DMCA enforcement jumping down your throat, etc.

Basically, if you want to make Halo 3 machinima, you're going to have to spend some money. There's no way around it.

sevlag
March 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM
DigitalPh33r's Guide to Making Halo 3 Machinima (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B220EB42C400F91D)

Covers filming techniques, what equipment to use, how to get music without the DMCA enforcement jumping down your throat, etc.

Basically, if you want to make Halo 3 machinima, you're going to have to spend some money. There's no way around it.Ph33r sold his soul to machinima.com long ago and I have no respect for him TBH, great he makes a series that little kids like to mimic so that they think they are cool doing it...

find capture card, or do the poor man's method, get a camera that reconrds video, make a stable camerastand, center the TV screen so only the screen is present...have good lighting to keep quality as high as possible..and done, yes it may make somewhat crap quality, but hey...it gets it done and as long as you enjoy making it you're ok

and I have yet to shell out $ to make any of my machinima videos :P

good luck on making a series and remember...have fun, and improv leads to actual funny moments...scripting a funny moment in a machinima rarely ever works (unless you use bathroom humor to draw in the 8 year old audience)

p0lar_bear
March 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Ph33r sold his soul to machinima.com long ago and I have no respect for him TBH, great he makes a series that little kids like to mimic so that they think they are cool doing it...The fact still remains that DP produces quality content, regardless of who he sold out to. By "quality content," I don't mean that his videos are the holy grail of machinima and that they are the best, but the cinematics are done right, and that's what counts (p.s. get some fukken voice actors).

find capture card, or do the poor man's method, get a camera that reconrds video, make a stable camerastand, center the TV screen so only the screen is present...have good lighting to keep quality as high as possible..and done, yes it may make somewhat crap quality, but hey...it gets it done and as long as you enjoy making it you're okIf you're going to record a TV screen, don't even think for a second about getting serious with your machinima. As shallow as it sounds, nobody's going to take you seriously as a machinima director if your videos are done that way. But, if you're doing it for yourself to flex your machinimuscle (heh), go ahead and do that until you get your feet wet and you get a capture card or a camcorder that can record TV output. Just make sure that you can manually set most aspects of your camera, such as white balance, focus, and exposure (so the picture remains steadily viewable and doesn't blur, change colors, or fade in/out). It's kinda like mapping for a video game; look at recorded-TV videos as your first boxmaps. (Side note: If your TV is a tube TV, don't even bother. The flicker that will happen will annoy the shit out of everyone.)

good luck on making a series and remember...have fun, and improv leads to actual funny moments...scripting a funny moment in a machinima rarely ever works (unless you use bathroom humor to draw in the 8 year old audience)Most likely because nobody knows how to do it right. A joke requires set-up, delivery, and a punchline, if the joke is even funny in the first place, I'd imagine that most people fuck up the set-up or the delivery, leaving a punchline just hanging there.

Remember that humor is entirely situational, and doesn't always need to draw a fit of hilarious laughter from the crowd; sometimes a chuckle at a quick show of wit or a well-placed one-liner is what's needed at various points. Don't do shit like randomly reference obscure shit (or worse, memes). Make sure that the joke fits in with the events happening around it, regardless of if it's unique or a running gag. You're most likely making a story that you want to tell, not a stand-up comedy.

sdavis117
March 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
If you are making a dark horror Machinima though I bet you could get away with pointing your Camera at your TV. Digital Ph33r did that for a horror short he did, and it was pretty well received.

sevlag
March 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
p0lar...TBH, thats what I've used to record Halo 3 videos and its worked out fine because I know how to utilize everything, I may not be fancy and have the money for a capture card, but I STILL make it work and everyone who takes part in the video still enjoys it.

also, I prefer improv over scripts, 98% of my videos are unscripted, when applied to the videos its normally a "just follow my lead and build off that". it works quiet well, say what you want but until I can afford a high end capture card like the rest of you, I'll be using proper lighting and my TV thank you very much (my dazzle CC is dead anyways)

Rook
March 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
You could ask CJ, he does tons of recoding on Halo 3.

Cortexian
March 22nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
What they need is some kind of PC distribution of a cinematic view of Halo 3 game data. Something that can interpret Halo 3 video saves and play them back in a 3D environment on the PC.

sdavis117
March 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Bungie has already thought of that Freelancer. (http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/index/Group/Resources/Article.aspx?cid=437425)

But what I'm using is a high quality DVD recorder and a DVD Ripper in combo to bring Halo 3 videos to my PC.

Cortexian
March 30th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Bungie has already thought of that Freelancer. (http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/index/Group/Resources/Article.aspx?cid=437425)

But what I'm using is a high quality DVD recorder and a DVD Ripper in combo to bring Halo 3 videos to my PC.
Something offline based, that lets you grab the game data onto a USB storage device and then onto your PC and into the viewer/recorder program. That would be the best, something like the Theater, only for PC.