PDA

View Full Version : Piracy discussion rules need to change.

Cortexian
March 21st, 2009, 01:13 AM
If I'm getting infractions for discussing why piracy is a BAD THING then there needs to be something done. Either the moderators need to be given a lesson on how to infract users or the infractions need even more specific guidelines. I recently got 4 points worth of infractions for simply posting a couple off-topic posts. Granted these posts were off topic, and discussing piracy, but as I said before, we were discussing why piracy has no place in the world.

Anyways, in my opinion, the piracy infractions need to be lightened up on, A LOT. For instance, I see absolutely no reason why we can't TALK about piracy within reason. I can see why limiting, say, links to pirated content or guides on how to pirate content should be disallowed. But we should be able to at least discuss what's going on, if we can't even discuss piracy then it leads right back to Internet Censorship (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14960). Honestly, we're all old enough (well, I guess that's not necessarily true) to not have people telling us what we should and shouldn't talk about. This is my opinion, do what you will, except remove all my infractions while you're at it (heh).

Sever
March 21st, 2009, 01:27 AM
Sadly, 20 bucks says Freelancer gets an infraction for his post.

I get why you (the forum admins) can't have piracy discussion here, but at least examine what you're infracting before you throw stones. If it's deserving, then definitely toss one at it, but send a PM describing how to fix or avoid the problem along with it. Talk to the users about what they need to do to stay within the acceptable boundaries rather than just leaving a red flag with a manufactured reason. Maintaining the forum is more than just the behind-the-scenes work (which, as far as I can tell is running smoothly) - you need more moderator-user interaction. I swear this place is loosing its soul.

Ifafudafi
March 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM
Do not post, discuss, insinuate, or joke about anything piracy-oriented.

From what I've noticed (feel free to correct me, mods,) piracy discussion invariably devolves into flame wars about why it's right/wrong, and the mods/admins shouldn't have to clean that up.

Exceptions have been made, like the Pirate Bay case, so it's not like a strict taboo over everything. If you've really got a problem with someone about their piracy views, that's what PMs are for.

Now I'll GTFO before I get slapped with a Backseat Moderation infraction myself. :tinfoil:

rossmum
March 21st, 2009, 07:24 AM
It should be discussable within reason. No links to pirated stuff, no instructions on how, so on and so forth... and ideally no promotion, though sometimes the lines between openly encouraging piracy and simply arguing its case can become blurred. I see no reason the whole subject should be so radically moderated where politics, console comparisons, pyf threads and so on are not as all of those inevitably spawn massive shit-flinging matches which, as far as I can tell, have always been considerably messier than any arguments about piracy.

The only things that we can legally get in hot water for are promotion, instruction, and provision of pirated property or how to pirate it in the first place. Even in our wannabe nanny-state down here nobody can legally do anything to us for simply discussing it.

Mr Buckshot
March 21st, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'm with Freelancer here.

jcap
March 21st, 2009, 09:28 AM
"Piracy discussion" applies to topics that encourage piracy or theft of any media. Talking about if piracy is ethical or not isn't against the rules.

You were just going off topic, so here: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15035

rossmum
March 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
oh ok that's cool then

Cortexian
March 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Okay, I see exactly what "said moderator" was attempting to do with Infractions now. He was attempting to split the thread into two separate threads with a wall of Infractions. Thank you for splitting the thread Ghost, I don't see why that couldn't have been done instead of sending out all the mentioned Infractions in the first place. It takes about the same amount of time to split a thread then it does to infract pretty much all the posts in the "split".

Anyways, I thank you for clearing the matter up!