PDA

View Full Version : "All reet then! I'm all about that Plasma Pistol! AND IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!"

Ifafudafi
March 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
/hf to whoever gets the title reference.

Anyway, I'm still going at this shit: Witness the birth of Ifafudafi's Plasma Pack: Part 2. To contain revamped Plasma Pistol, Needler, and two new weapons (as soon as I come up with two new weapon concepts.)

As of the moment, the Plasma Pistol's the only thing I've made progress on. Currently has custom effects & skin. Animations and impact effect will be added eventually. Here's a video and some pics:

YyqsFDzCyvI

Custom skin:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1571/pp1p.jpg

Custom firing effect (both happen simulatneously, but hard to capture in stills):
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7118/pp2b.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5382/pp3.jpg

Charging effect:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8668/pp4c.jpg

Charged bolt (Rather proud of this one):
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4306/pp5u.jpg

Rob Oplawar
March 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM
that is a fucking sexy muzzle flash. +rep
Can has for bce?

Advancebo
March 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
The skin looks flaky.
And make the electric bolts larger.

Everything else is cool.

KiLLa
March 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hmm..it seems the projectiles orgin is a bit off center...
Did you intend it to be like that?
Other than that, the effects are great, can't say I notice the difference in skin tho

Heathen
March 21st, 2009, 06:18 PM
Can has for bce?
This

Advancebo
March 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM
Other than that, the effects are great, can't say I notice the difference in skin tho

I think he made it to shoot from weapon origin.

n00b1n8R
March 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I want to see PLASMA FIRE
Can you deliver?

Advancebo
March 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
The Halo 3 Plasma Fire is sex

Inferno
March 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
I wish the charging was a bit more transparent on the edges and faded in better but it looks good.

Warsaw
March 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
Noes, where's my overcharge contrail?

Other than that, it looks awesome.

Limited
March 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
Sick, the ball projectile needs a bit of editing I feel.

So was this all tag based changes or did you have to create a few bitmaps in Photoshop?

ODX
March 21st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Great particles, I love plasma weapons also. Hell, maybe I'll animate a Plasma Pistol after you release your skin and such, been waiting for someone to do so.

MetKiller Joe
March 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
Great effects. +rep

Varmint260
March 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
The new effects look awesome. Hope to be seeing them in a map soon? As for the title... you referring to Anarchy Online?

Ifafudafi
March 21st, 2009, 11:08 PM
Can has for bce?

As soon as it's released, yes.

No; still working on getting that perfectly lined up.

I want to see PLASMA FIRE
Can you deliver?

Explain?

Sick, the ball projectile needs a bit of editing I feel.

So was this all tag based changes or did you have to create a few bitmaps in Photoshop?

There are lots of balls (interpret that how you will); which one are you referring to? And nearly every new effect sprite is custom-made.

The new effects look awesome. Hope to be seeing them in a map soon? As for the title... you referring to Anarchy Online?

I'll be releasing them as tags, so you can compile them into your own maps. And I'm referring to the Doom Comic, when Doomguy finds the Plasma Rifle.

UnevenElefant5
March 21st, 2009, 11:23 PM
I think the charging energy ball lights up too fast. Other than that, your particles are looking very, very nice.

Hotrod
March 21st, 2009, 11:47 PM
Oh wow, that stuff is amazing. I honestly don't know what else to say but wow...

n00b1n8R
March 21st, 2009, 11:47 PM
Explain?
Charged PP shot hits something.
That something then either crackles with electrical zappyarcs for at least a second or get some kind of small fire going or something.

I WANT IT TO BURN

t3h m00kz
March 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM

It's projectile offset. It gives the illusion that the projectiles are coming out of the gun, rather than the center of the screen, which, if you notice, is used in Plasma and Spikes in Halo 3.

The offset looks pretty perfect, tbh.

Con
March 22nd, 2009, 01:13 AM
That something then either crackles with electrical zappyarcs for at least a second or get some kind of small fire going or something.

I WANT IT TO BURN
should be possible considering rockets cause vehicles to emit smoke for a short time.

Warsaw
March 22nd, 2009, 01:50 AM
Might be better if it left an orange glowing hole/circle on whatever you hit...as if it melted it.

Bodzilla
March 22nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
Can has for bce?
i've heard BCE so many times it's lost all meaning :downslove:

Pooky
March 22nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
bit of Metroid Prime inspiration on the charge shot?

Those effects are fucking epic, <3 plasma pistol

I WANT IT TO BURN

Oh also this. I've always thought Bungie's plasma impacts were pretty lame given that it's supposed to be SUPER HEATED.

The only good one they ever did was the plasma on metal effect in h3 D:

p0lar_bear
March 22nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
should be possible considering rockets cause vehicles to emit smoke for a short time.

The PP does that by default, he's just noting the lack of it in the updated effects set.

Not that anyone ever uses anything besides the pistol in this game...

Pooky
March 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
The PP does that by default, he's just noting the lack of it in the updated effects set.

Not that anyone ever uses anything besides the pistol in this game...

Depends. If it's campaign then about 70-80% of what I use in the last half is plasma pistol + shotgun

n00b1n8R
March 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
I always thought the sparks were a bit weak in the origional PP.
I meant something more like what he did with the sticky nade.

p0lar_bear
March 22nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Depends. If it's campaign then about 70-80% of what I use in the last half is plasma pistol + shotgun

Poking fun at the multiplayer userbase... :rolleyes:

Inferno
March 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
I actually use the PR and shotty in the good small maps. Although all the servers just run BG DngrCnyn 24/7 LOLOLOL so chill out and Chiron and wizard and damnation never get the respect they deserve.

Advancebo
March 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
I actually use the PR and shotty in the good small maps. Although all the servers just run BG DngrCnyn 24/7 LOLOLOL so chill out and Chiron and wizard and damnation never get the respect they deserve.
Derelict and Longest, too.

Pooky
March 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Poking fun at the multiplayer userbase... :rolleyes:

hurr durr I'm not stupid :rolleyes:

You said 'this game', and I was pointing out the flaw in your statement.

Bad Waffle
March 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
i want it for hrh, k

Varmint260
March 22nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
And I'm referring to the Doom Comic, when Doomguy finds the Plasma Rifle.

Aww, okay. The "all reet then" fooled me. Thought of the Reets from AO.

The thought of seeing this in BCE and HRH... *drool*

Ifafudafi
March 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Updort!

I'm bringing back the Plasma Burst, with a bit of variation. 4-projectile, relatively quick shot which homes in on enemies. 100 shots per battery, about 20 shots to kill (10 shield, 10 armor.) Medium ROF. Charging for 4.5 seconds will unleash a 2.5 second stream of homing plasma which is guaranteed to decimate anyone unlucky enough to be near, at the cost of about 3/4 of your battery. It's essentially a heavy weapon now.

No pics since I haven't got any custom effects (other than the orange, ball-shaped projectiles), so there's no point in stills, but here's a video of the weapon in action.

EleKSx9NYKQ

Con
March 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
you and your plasma weapons, creative as always. I'm curious to see how well this plays is in multiplayer.

p0lar_bear
March 26th, 2009, 01:07 AM
You might want to make that burster spew faster. The fact that it can annihilate at least 3 people in one charge with a not-very-long charge time seems horribly unbalanced.

I know I suggested this kind of weapon (even though it was for a human design), but I was thinking of something more along the lines of, say, a plasma pistol with a beam rifle charge.

MissingSpartan7
March 26th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I was thinking of something more along the lines of, say, a plasma pistol with a beam rifle charge

i didn't think the beam rifle had charge....

n00b1n8R
March 26th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Yeah that doesn't look overpowered at all.
Turn off the homeing and half the accuracy and it might be a bit better
Also reduce the clip so you can only get 35 shots out or something (or turn down the homeing, it seems like it'd be far too easy for noobs to get kills with, not much skill required).

p0lar_bear
March 26th, 2009, 01:56 AM
i didn't think the beam rifle had charge....

Meaning the gun would fire a high-speed, high-damage, precision projectile upon discharge, or something of the like.

Pooky
March 26th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Given it's meant to be a heavy weapon, I don't see what you guys are crying about. It's no worse than the rocket or fail rod.

n00b1n8R
March 26th, 2009, 03:29 AM
The rocket doesn't have what the fuck homing.
The FRG is totally OP though.

Advancebo
March 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM
What angle is the homing at in the tags?

Rentafence
March 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Seeing as you would have to catch someone with no cover around them to guarantee a kill, I don't think it would be really overpowered. Plus there's only enough battery for 1 shot.

Ifafudafi
March 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
After some more testing, I've modified it a bit.

-Homing angle reduced from 90 to 75.
-Shots travel a bit slower.
-Shot range cut from 60 WU to 35.

Keep in mind that it's mainly a supressing weapon; the primary fire can chase and pick off people moving with no cover, while the rapidfire is basically a last resort method if your targets are getting away or you're going on a suicide run.

Inferno
March 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Make sure they have a effect when they dissipate when going out of range.
I hate how plasma bolts just disappear instead of like fizzling out or exploding or something.

t3h m00kz
March 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM
you and your plasma weapons, creative as always. I'm curious to see how well this plays is in multiplayer.

Take out the pistol first...

Either that or make the weapon stronger for balance. It seems to take painfully long to kill someone with. I'd say up the damage 1.5x and tone down the homing 50%.

Advancebo
March 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I hate how plasma bolts just disappear instead of like fizzling out or exploding or something.

He could make it do that if he wants to.

Ifafudafi
March 26th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Once again, effects are placeholder until the gameplay works right.

The problem with changing the damage is that the secondary's on a spew effect; spew bolts have to be the same as the regular ones. Likewise for the homing. Increasing the effectiveness of the regular bolts will also increase that of the spew. After screwing around a bit, I found that the current settings are the most balanced, but once again, I'll have to see how it works in a real game.

bobbysoon
March 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I got a weapon idea ya might find lovable - a needler that acts a little more like the rocket launcher. Basically a heavy needler with a few fat shards instead of many needles. Individual explosions being less than a plasma grenade explosion, combined being comparable to a tank shell. Balance issues, in my idea? Ha!

Warsaw
March 27th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Like the rocket launcher in Needleosity? That map was pure win.

Inferno
March 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I love that map. I wish it was actually played online :(

bobbysoon
March 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I don't know that one for until about 10 minutes after this post

bobbysoon
March 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM
It hints at it, with it's re-textured rocket and I assume guided angular velicity is employed, but idk, I was solo. It should fire fast enough, and the explosions should delay long enough, to supercombine explosions. It'd need a magazine somewhere between the RL's and the needler's, in capacity, damage, etc.
Thats a nice map. I bet it's pretty cool with other players

Warsaw
March 29th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I love that map. I wish it was actually played online :(

It was, for awhile...:(